Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

didn't a looong time ago platinumgames or someone from there say the VO change was due to a scheduling conflict? if i'm remembering that correctly then they have zero credibility left with anything they choose to say about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the three Bs, bioware, bethesda, blatinumgames

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

the three Bs, bioware, bethesda, blatinumgames

Every year that bit gets funnier

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Al-Saqr posted:

What is it with Japanese studios and being insane towards their talent in a way that can only be described as deeply petty, the wierdly insane ways Konami treated Kojima to get rid of him is as if like Kojima ate the bosses baby or something in terms of needlessly petty and harsh.

Or a comparison even more relevant since it involves voice acting: how Kojima just completely dropped David Hayter with so little regard, David didn't even know MGSV existed until it was announced to the public.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Or a comparison even more relevant since it involves voice acting: how Kojima just completely dropped David Hayter with so little regard, David didn't even know MGSV existed until it was announced to the public.

That’s more of Kojima being a Starfucker than anything else. Like, in Japan, it seems to be an unwritten rule that if you voice a character, you voice that character until the day you die. The guy who voices Jigen in Lupin III is like 90, sounds like he’s 90, and he’s still voicing the character. Kojima had to know what he was doing was hosed up, but he didn’t care/knew he could get away with it.

And the funny thing is that’s probably why Snake was so quiet during MGS5. Kiefer Sutherland probably looked at all the lines that Hayter gladly destroyed his own throat over and said “gently caress you. Tell this rear end in a top hat I’m not reading all these lines for a loving video game, not for what I’m getting paid” and Kojima was like “oh, ok guess he’s a man of few words now.”

Anyway, I also remember Pat constantly bringing up how Ubisoft fired the Original created of the Assassin’s Creed series, then went out of its way to destroy any project he tried to work on after that. So this isn’t just a Japanese thing.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 17, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sutherland apparently voiced a whole lot more than what we got, it just didn’t make the final cut

but yes the situation isn’t comparable, hale doesn’t have enough name recognition to justify replacing taylor for that reason alone

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember how much that pissed me off, David Hayter WAS snake, keifer sutherland wasnt all that great.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People also say Kojima constantly ghosts everyone that's not a star, Hayter was just the most famous example.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Kojima probably also wanted to use Kiefer's on-screen acting experience for Snake's face capture and didn't think that Hayter couldn't do it.... which is still hosed because Snake barely ever emoted the entire time. Honestly, all of the face capture stuff was pretty mid back then

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Kojima wanted to be a starfucker and Konami didn't really like Hayter's history of union support and being the annoying VA who's constantly screaming and fighting to make sure other VA's actually got paid. the JPN VA for Snake didn't change so it was entirely a move to gently caress Hayter that also let Kojima move on to his starfucker era.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keifer is fine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nah he sucks in MGSV

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The starfucker era sucks btw. Like Keifer in MGSV most of the performances in Death Stranding are just loving bad.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The starfucker era sucks btw. Like Keifer in MGSV most of the performances in Death Stranding are just loving bad.

Ok that’s crazy. Death stranding was pretty incredible performance wise, the performance literally made that game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I remember Hayter basically going mad on social media and in interviewers over the MGS5 situation. It was hard to watch, he was legit heartbroken over it and I can't blame him at all for being so upset.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok that’s crazy. Death stranding was pretty incredible performance wise, the performance literally made that game.

There's some good ones, but every scene with Sam and Amelie might as well have a vaudeville band stand underscoring it for how loving funny they were.

And even the good performances, like heartman and mama, struggle to overcome Kojima Writing Uncut. The actors are doing their absolute best but goddamn they were handed some wet clay and told to build a bridge. That whole script is full of loving clunker lines to fit in the usual Proper Noun but It's Also The Theme Kojima's been doing for the last 25 years.

And norman reedus is not a strong enough actor to pin your entire narrative and emotional crux on. Seeing him play opposite of Mads Mikkelsen is brutal at points seeing the difference in skill.

I really liked Death Stranding, I just wished someone else got a second pass to tone Kojima down even just like....5%

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 17, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's some good ones, but every scene with Sam and Amelie might as well have a vaudeville band stand underscoring it for how loving funny they were.

And even the good performances struggle to overcome Kojima Writing Uncut. That whole script is full of loving clunker lines to fit in the usual Proper Noun but It's Also The Theme Kojima's been doing for the last 25 years.

I dunno I found the final 2-3 hours of that game to be pretty emotionally touching and really impactful, the performances were super on point for that, I guess it’s just different tastes

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

I dunno I found the final 2-3 hours of that game to be pretty emotionally touching and the performances were super on point for that, I guess it’s just different tastes

I did too but it was entirely because of characters that weren't Sam. The stuff with Die-Hardman and the big full reveal of what happened to Cliff and cliff's finale are all fantastic.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Tae posted:

People also say Kojima constantly ghosts everyone that's not a star, Hayter was just the most famous example.

Reminds me of an interview with John Carpenter where Kojima came up and Carpenter basically said "Oh yeah, Kojima! I like that guy, he was really nice...well, I mean, he was really nice to me anyway. Can't speak for other people."

EDIT: Meanwhile, at Platinum:

https://twitter.com/SpadesEnder/status/1581827826273030145?cxt=HHwWgsCojd6B5PMrAAAA

Holy Smokes!

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 17, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
https://mobile.twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1582418966936686592

Oof

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

God drat, wishing her a speedy recovery

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Listening through the new episode and I’m surprised Pat mentions they basically work for Twitch/YouTube (and how he can’t say much on ethical workplaces) but RT/AT&T/Warner doesn’t come up. Are they still partnered with them?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Warbird posted:

Listening through the new episode and I’m surprised Pat mentions they basically work for Twitch/YouTube (and how he can’t say much on ethical workplaces) but RT/AT&T/Warner doesn’t come up. Are they still partnered with them?

I legitimately think they don't know either lol. Woolie mentioned a week or two ago in an ad read how he has to shoot emails to figure out his t-shirt situation since its been brought up to his attention that he hasn't had them on sale for a while now. If you want to find CSB with RoosterTeeth then you're gonna have to use google instead of the RT site itself, and their page is outdated by several months. The only CSB merch in RT is Pat's logo t-shirt.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
From what I understand the only thing they really get out of the RT partnership is a sponsorship network. But Pat and Woolie probably are hesitant to talk about anything related to RT due to contract fuckery.

That said they should still cut ties but that probably can't happen overnight either.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You all did notice the tone in the NDA portion right

That's your response to the RT business, I think

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1582456269029642240?cxt=HHwWgMDQwfXlgfYrAAAA

Welp

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Welp so much for that. VAs need to be paid and all of course but Hellena posting a 3-4 part video calling for a boycott, followed by those figures being released and her going "ok I'm putting this whole saga behind me, peace" looks REAL BAD

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Meh it's not criminal of her to want a fair chunk of the game's profit if she's supposed to be the star, they're planning to make 100+ million off this poo poo

5 figures is a loving joke for a game that big

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I'll be honest calling for a boycott on something that involved dozens or hundreds of other people's hard work when you're the only one allegedly wronged didn't seem right to begin with. I feel like I typically see something like this where they just tell their story and let the fans decide on their own to boycott. I dunno.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Indecisive posted:

Meh it's not criminal of her to want a fair chunk of the game's profit if she's supposed to be the star, they're planning to make 100+ million off this poo poo

5 figures is a loving joke for a game that big

It's not that big! Bayonetta is a franchise that barely loving exists! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever I see this come up. Neither of those games ever sold that well.

Also the issue is not "she wanted more money" it's that her response to her counteroffer being refused is to lie about the situation and start a boycott.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly the full details just make them both look bad. Her for obvious reasons but the full offer being 15k is still poo poo.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

sirtommygunn posted:

Honestly the full details just make them both look bad. Her for obvious reasons but the full offer being 15k is still poo poo.

It sounds like that's either at or above union baseline, which is still bad, they should get paid more (as should everyone making the game), but is more systemically bad, rather than Platinum specifically lowballing her.

VAs being underpaid and underappreciated is definitely something worth talking about, but she's... not the best person to bring it up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

It sounds like that's either at or above union baseline, which is still bad, they should get paid more (as should everyone making the game), but is more systemically bad, rather than Platinum specifically lowballing her.

VAs being underpaid and underappreciated is definitely something worth talking about, but she's... not the best person to bring it up.

Yeah, that's basically where I'm at. Bayo 3 isn't a super big game, but it is also a SEGA license published by Nintendo, so it's no indie thing either. 16000 for 4 sessions sounds about right and is SAG compliant.

I completely still stand by VAs being underpaid as hell, and trusting the talent is always the better reaction, just turned out not this time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well at least the can stream the game with the moral high ground. #content :v:

Real talk, Pat’s comment of being exhausted with things being made by scumbags to the point of not caring about it anymore rings true for me. For a period of time I was that person he mentioned whose only respite from a lovely existence was to just play with my drat toy. I’m better now, but I’m not going to cast stones at some rando that wants to play wizards or whatever. (If they’re expositing the values of Queen dipshit on the other hand…)

I think the trend of accountability (“wokeness” if you prefer) is a good thing but having to have an opinion on everything is exhausing. Sometimes you just want to enjoy things.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, like, I had decided that I'd still be playing Bayo 3, just used. That's how I could handle the situation at the time until we found out more from the bloomberg and vgc report, but meanwhile.... to relax today after all that fiasco I watched Studio MAPPA's adaptation of Shonen JUMP's Chainsaw Man at Crunchyroll dot com.

Just that gif is my whole emotions for this week. And then I watched Mob Psycho 100.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I’ve pretty much learned to not let myself care or feel strongly about anything I have no power to affect or change, it’s the only way I can keep my sanity and focus on my own happiness.

The conversation they had on the podcast was really good about this.

Also shame that bayo lady chose to lie and stuff that sucks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The fight of self care/scoping vs sliding into nepotism is a real motherfucker.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Well at least the can stream the game with the moral high ground. #content :v:

Real talk, Pat’s comment of being exhausted with things being made by scumbags to the point of not caring about it anymore rings true for me. For a period of time I was that person he mentioned whose only respite from a lovely existence was to just play with my drat toy. I’m better now, but I’m not going to cast stones at some rando that wants to play wizards or whatever. (If they’re expositing the values of Queen dipshit on the other hand…)

I think the trend of accountability (“wokeness” if you prefer) is a good thing but having to have an opinion on everything is exhausing. Sometimes you just want to enjoy things.
On one hand, I totally get it, but man, does Pat feel like one of the less great people to pull this for how much joy he seems get from making GBS threads on stuff - I don't think he's necessarily taking a moral high ground, but it's sometimes hard not to feel that way.

Or at least, the fact Blizzard cannot loving stop rake stepping and being horrible for a moment, because gently caress if I don't have a lot of nostalgia for their games and desperately want them to have a recovery story and stop being terrible, and Pat basically finding any and every excuse to milk Blizzard's fuckups for content gets kind of exhausting, particularly when Blizzard is not exactly alone in whatever bullshit they happen to pull. Like, they deserve all the dunking, but I'm just tired of it now, "next bit" if you will.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is woolie's react Andy video where he watches astartes up or did he erase that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

Is woolie's react Andy video where he watches astartes up or did he erase that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgeczcA29CE

It's on the Woolie Vs The Algorithm channel, however the astartes part was removed for ContentID reasons