Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

T.C. posted:

Clearly the database field only has two digits and then rolls over.

That being said, I really enjoy the generation name that could be a thing in Chinese families at one point. You give everyone in a family's generation the same middle name that indexes them to that generation. You can further organize it by having that name be the next word from a previously established family generational poem.

On the one hand, very organized. On the other hand, I hope your great great great grandparents didn't pick a poo poo poem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_name

Being part of a four hundred year old joke poem would be hilarious though.

The very best poem you could ever pick would be Jabberwocky.

So many cool middle names. Bandersnatch. Manxome. Uffish. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

All hail Robert FF, the two hundred and fifty‐sixth of his name.

255th, I do believe!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

255th, I do believe!

In this family, we zero‐index our parriarchs. :colbert:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

what did i tell you about leaving 9/11 georg in your data

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hopefully they caught the guy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

He was compromised to a permanent end.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My bad.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

He was compromised to a permanent end.

Actually he got a second term.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Please don't buy into the conspiracy bullshit. The third one was just what happens when you leave a damaged building to burn because the water supply's been accidentally severed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Right under the post:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

He's in the chart too actually. Brave of him to kill to the guy that killed all these folks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Powered Descent posted:

Just use Star Wars clone rules. David, Daavid, Daviid...

Deep Rock Galactic rules.

Steeve David, Steeeve Daavid, Steeeeve Daaavid, Steeeeeve Daaaavid...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://chart.business/

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

hell yeah going to put this up on the command center's wall board.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This (except with the fake graphs being tech-flavored instead of money-flavored) is exactly the sort of thing I looked for but couldn't find, 7-8 years ago in the ops center when we had a few extra screens on the big board at the front of the room and we needed to fill them with something for when upper management came by.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Shocking misinformation. Their New York time doesn't seem to adjust for daylight savings. Everything else is completely accurate though

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Vavrek posted:

From Robert A. Heinlein's The Number of the Beast

Having the same name as your siblings/cousins is wild, though. Did they go by middle names? Initials? Will/Bill/Liam variations? I imagine there was a mix.

The interesting thing is as far as I can tell both siblings preferred to be called by the full name, I guess it worked out since there was a few years between them so their friend groups didn't normally intersect. They did have nicknames for when they were in the same place though.

Also he was mad that his older brother got all the good email variations lol.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Aside from Never Forget Georg, why is there such marked seasonal variation in the muder rate?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Tree Bucket posted:

Aside from Never Forget Georg, why is there such marked seasonal variation in the muder rate?

The increased rates of certain crimes (like assault) in summer is pretty well established, although I’m not sure there is also a definitively established reason. It would make some sense that people have more interactions with each other when it is warmer and that, as a result, there are more assaults.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tree Bucket posted:

I mean, theres no suggestion that isnt going to be dark, we're dealing with murder, but even so... Is it to do with US school term times maybe?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

I was looking into this and got distracted by Liechtenstein's murder rate:

Liechtenstein has less than 40,000 people in it so this is basically a list of years where they had a single murder.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Domus posted:

It gets a lot worse. By brother’s best childhood friend grew up to have ten kids, all named after him. David junior is fine, but Davida is just going too far.

livin' davida loca

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Splicer posted:

I was looking into this and got distracted by Liechtenstein's murder rate:

Liechtenstein has less than 40,000 people in it so this is basically a list of years where they had a single murder.

Law & Order: Lichtenstein must be boring as hell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cabot’s Cove didn’t have even a tenth of that population, and they got a murder per week.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Platystemon posted:

Cabot’s Cove didn’t have even a tenth of that population, and they got a murder per week.
Toronto in the 1890s had an extremely low homicide rate - the reported figures of what we would consider adult 'murder' (homicide + manslaughter, excluding infanticide and accidents) were 25 for the entire decade (per the contemporaneous Globe and Mail).

CBC currently has a show called Murdoch Mysteries, revolving around a detective in 1890s Toronto, that has somehow had 247 episodes, most of which feature a homicide.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Law & Order: Lichtenstein must be boring as hell.

Capitani

Yes yes I know, wrong L city state

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1581279875905638400?s=46

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Toronto in the 1890s had an extremely low homicide rate - the reported figures of what we would consider adult 'murder' (homicide + manslaughter, excluding infanticide and accidents) were 25 for the entire decade (per the contemporaneous Globe and Mail).

Does this include indigenous peoples?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Phanatic posted:

Does this include indigenous peoples?
Canada has a horrible history of treating its First Nations, Metis, and Inuit peoples, it's true, but generally murders in stigmatized groups were still counted as murders even back then.

Even if they were not, the lack of numbers of FNMI people in Canadian cities would have made the total homicide numbers very low. For instance, there were only 12,000 FN identified people in Ontario in 1871 (the last reasonable census of FN people in Canada), and given that the total population of the country had increased by 30% by 1891 they would be unlikely to exceed 20,000 in the whole province. The vast majority of FN people lived in reserves until the late 20th century.

The salient point is how unbelievably white Canadian cities were until very recently. Toronto, for example, was 95% European ancestry in 1971, the earliest year I could find data, and only 0.2% Aboriginal. In 2016, the Aboriginal population was up to 0.9%, whereas the total visible minority population was up to 51.5%.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Albino Squirrel posted:

Canada has a horrible history of treating its First Nations, Metis, and Inuit peoples, it's true, but generally murders in stigmatized groups were still counted as murders even back then.

Even if they were not, the lack of numbers of FNMI people in Canadian cities would have made the total homicide numbers very low. For instance, there were only 12,000 FN identified people in Ontario in 1871 (the last reasonable census of FN people in Canada), and given that the total population of the country had increased by 30% by 1891 they would be unlikely to exceed 20,000 in the whole province.

What do you mean by "last reasonable census"?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Count Roland posted:

What do you mean by "last reasonable census"?
Poorly phrased. The last census of any reasonable quality which addressed numbers of first nations people from 1871 (which was a specific enumeration of First Nations people) until 1971 (when the mainstream census started asking about ethnic origin). Anything in the century in between seems poorly documented from what I can find.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1582280649548828672?s=46

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1582704817612283904

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is the point of this chart? how is it supposed to be better than putting time along the X-axis and plotting both variables on the Y?

is it just not wanting to have two different scales on the Y axis?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sagebrush posted:

what is the point of this chart? how is it supposed to be better than putting time along the X-axis and plotting both variables on the Y?

is it just not wanting to have two different scales on the Y axis?
he's a monarchist, the graph clearly displays the ceremonial mace of the British Parliament

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Your entire argument is that time is not relevant. Maybe you should leave it out of your graph then?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The point is that parametric graphs rule, gently caress you.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It's meant to draw a gun. Bang Bang! Action graph.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sardonik posted:

It's meant to draw a gun. Bang Bang! Action graph.
I see a guy doing a jaunty lil walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I see a guy doing a jaunty lil walk

big John Cleese energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCLp7zodUiI