Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SNL at this point is just one of those things that are forever carried by it’s own inertia of what it used to be like The Simpsons, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What are they batting now? Maybe one funny skit per episode? Just pull that poo poo up on Youtube later.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

Is Nope Hollywood slopp? I thought it was A24

It is popular, and therefore bad.

unlimited shrimp posted:

What are they batting now? Maybe one funny skit per episode? Just pull that poo poo up on Youtube later.

'Per episode' is extremely generous, closer to 'per season'

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

SNL at this point is just one of those things that are forever carried by it’s own inertia of what it used to be like The Simpsons, right?

The Simpsons used to be funny, snl never was.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SNL had some good bits in the 90s.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I was watching it then and for every celebrity jeopardy and Norm's weekend update there were like 10 horrible sister Mary Catherine and mango sketches. Just a dreadful slog.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

WARLORDS

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cuttlefush posted:

Is Nope Hollywood slopp? I thought it was A24

Nope is an allegory about how Hollywood consumes filmmakers

Hollywood loves to criticize itself so yeah it's pretty Hollywood

apart from that it's a decent movie and I thought a few of the scenes were extremely well shot and it's got Michael Wincott in it

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i went to a mall yesterday and swinged by the movie theater to see if anything good was playing and hoo boy is it dire out there. as far as i can tell theaters are still pretty goddamn dead when a marvel movie isnt playing

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

babypolis posted:

i went to a mall yesterday and swinged by the movie theater to see if anything good was playing and hoo boy is it dire out there. as far as i can tell theaters are still pretty goddamn dead when a marvel movie isnt playing

Good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

babypolis posted:

i tried to find a theater for Triangle of Sadness and couldn't find one lol

death to movie theaters

(lol j/k they're dying on their own, we just lost our 3rd and last downtown theater in the past 2-3 years. we used to be home to over 6 theaters 3 decades ago. now the only theater is a loving AMC in emeryville)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Oct 17, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hot d — now that is how you gambo baby great ep imo love the scheming but rhaenys could have ended it right there with 20 more deaths instead of 20,000

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hot d — now that is how you gambo baby great ep imo love the scheming but rhaenys could have ended it right there with 20 more deaths instead of 20,000
Civil war punishes more of the people who hosed up her career. Very sensible choice, from the standpoint of revenge.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xaris posted:

i tried to find a theater for Triangle of Sadness and couldn't find one lol

death to movie theaters

(lol j/k they're dying on their own, we just lost our 3rd and last downtown theater in the past 2-3 years. we used to be home to over 6 theaters 3 decades ago. now the only theater is a loving AMC in emeryville)

wow who knew having deluge of media of unlimited flavors at your fingertips would kill theaters

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

wow who knew having deluge of media of unlimited flavors at your fingertips would kill theaters

I like going to theaters on occasion but the offerings have been dire since COVID

the only movie I bothered to go see in the theater this year was The Northman

it's a rare treat when someone actually makes a good movie filmed in IMAX 3D, the last one I really liked was Mad Max: Fury Road

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I saw Northman and EEAO but even as a movie head I've never been a big theater goer. I enjoy the experience but it's pricey for what you get.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

also watch Triangle of Sadness

you keep saying this but its still theatrical only so even if i were to want to go to some dubious online place to watch it which of course i would never do and would never suggest that anyone else do i wouldnt be able to understand everything because parts of the movie arent in english and theres no subtitles

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I know it’s waaaaaay less important than the advent of streaming on the list of things that killed theaters, but TV’s also just got too good. Used to the best you could get even with unlimited money was some staticky tube tv with a tiny screen that wasn’t even in the right ratio for movies. Now you can get a crisp lcd screen the size of Alaska in 16:9 ratio for the lint in your pocket. So theatre’s can’t even really offer much in the way of the “experience” either. The only thing they still have that can’t yet be replicated is a crowd for communal hooting and hollering, and even that is something that isn’t needed, or is often downright harmful to all but certain genres. And if you have enough friends you can replicate that too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

galagazombie posted:

I know it’s waaaaaay less important than the advent of streaming on the list of things that killed theaters, but TV’s also just got too good. Used to the best you could get even with unlimited money was some staticky tube tv with a tiny screen that wasn’t even in the right ratio for movies. Now you can get a crisp lcd screen the size of Alaska in 16:9 ratio for the lint in your pocket. So theatre’s can’t even really offer much in the way of the “experience” either. The only thing they still have that can’t yet be replicated is a crowd for communal hooting and hollering, and even that is something that isn’t needed, or is often downright harmful to all but certain genres. And if you have enough friends you can replicate that too.

in the early 2000s the yuppie thing to do was build entire home theaters, I bet most of them have been converted back to storage now that every living room has a 60" tv

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

galagazombie posted:

maybe people also don't like to blow their eardrums out too

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Palladium posted:

maybe people also don't like to blow their eardrums out too

Modern surround sound means you can blow out your eardrums from the comfort of your own home!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hooting and hollering in a theater is the proletarian experience.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Tankbuster posted:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

in the early 2000s the yuppie thing to do was build entire home theaters, I bet most of them have been converted back to storage now that every living room has a 60" tv

I knew people with $$$$ Dolby THX setups a decade before that, the late eighties was still mostly hi-fi stereo setups but by the early nineties Dolby Pro Logic was commonplace and THX was there for the yuppies

those systems all were run on laserdisc, VHS looked like dogshit on a nice TV or projector

these setups were in dedicated rooms, just stuffing 5 speakers and a sub into your living room doesn't really count

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
nah there’s still something about a massive screen and sound being blasted from a million speakers coming at you from every angle. it’s just too much money and too much pandemic

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

you keep saying this but its still theatrical only so even if i were to want to go to some dubious online place to watch it which of course i would never do and would never suggest that anyone else do i wouldnt be able to understand everything because parts of the movie arent in english and theres no subtitles

There's a character that speaks german and the subtitles were also in german, that's what I remember as for subtitles in the theater. (i.e. they didn't help unless you speak that langauge).

Some russian lady says some french words I don't think there were subtitles for her or the russian dialogue or the tagalog... all of which amounts to people saying like "get up" or "very good" maybe 5 lines of dialogue total. the movie is english throughout

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 10:52 on Oct 17, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

luv when its impossible to tell whether a movie has been hosed up in translation somehow or if its just doing weird artsy fartsy bullshit for the hell of it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

one character has a stroke and says one sentence through the whole movie, in den wolken, which is immediately translated by her husband in english into the characters. its subtitled I guess to reassure you she didn't say engish in an offensive stroke-voice. she also can say "no" in german I think

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its a pretty good movie, very c-spam vibe. Much better to see in a theater cause the audience audibly reacting makes it great

I might not like it so much if I streamed it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

luv when its impossible to tell whether a movie has been hosed up in translation somehow or if its just doing weird artsy fartsy bullshit for the hell of it
no justification is necessary for a character to speak any language untranslated. a filmmaker has no duty to coddle the audience.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

also euros tend to assume you can get the gist of basic french, german, italian

"that guy said 'chow' when he left the room and the lady said 'chow' back - what the gently caress does that mean?"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

At least over here we used to get 2 to 3 different languages on public school, but that sort of faded away with English becoming far more pervelant.

Going to make the joke here of Portuguese students just going to Spanish classes for an easier time since the 2000's or so. There's a definite divide on whenever or not a language is treated as this obscure thing depending on how you're funded. Public tv straight up gets documentaries in Japanese, German and Swedish while Private tv just straight up sticks subtitles on Brazilian and PALOP Portuguese sometimes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

no justification is necessary for a character to speak any language untranslated. a filmmaker has no duty to coddle the audience.

The first time I saw... I want to say it was District 9 but this was yonks ago... it was a bootleg DVD version that didn't have any subtitles for the scenes with the aliens, and it was a thousand times better. I thought the audience was being encouraged to see the aliens as actual aliens, albeit ones who'd syncretised with earth trash culture, and the film was doing this cool, quasi-experimental thing and that's why everyone loved it and was talking about how smart and impressive the film had been.

Then I watched the version with subtitles and the aliens aren't remotely alien at all, they're just generic Speilburg archetypes doing generic nuclear family poo poo. Such a disappointment, and makes it clear that the film is encouraging you to care about the aliens not because racism and imperialism are fundamentally wrong, but because they're just like us Americans.

But like I said, it's been years since I've seen the film.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

christmas boots posted:

nah there’s still something about a massive screen and sound being blasted from a million speakers coming at you from every angle. it’s just too much money and too much pandemic

Don't forget the time issue factor, between travel time/waiting around to start + limited showing times you have to plan around

I watch a ton of movies and sadly split them up into two days at home, just because I can often find an hour uninterrupted but not any more than that

Also I kind of miss the era of awful fan made subtitles from decades ago. Our copy of Shaolin soccer was near gibberish and just elevated ebrhthting

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 13:39 on Oct 17, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In Isle of Dogs, the dogs speak English and the humans speak Japanese, and in there aren't subtitles so unless you speak Japanese you can understand the dogs and not the humans, unless they're giving a command like "sit" or "stay" which they do in English. But sometimes there's an English translator for exposition reasons. I still think the film would have been cooler if they never did that, so the audience understands exactly as much as the dogs do.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Kunster posted:

At least over here we used to get 2 to 3 different languages on public school

I assumed you were going to say French, Latin and Greek but then realized you didn’t mean Public School 🎩.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

lmao candace owens got kanye to buy parler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Some Guy TT posted:

same

the first time I saw Smowpiercer it was a copy that didn’t have subtitles so dude's monologue at the end was largely unintelligible to me except for the feelings, then when Cap said "I didn’t understand" I was like oh that's a brilliant choice putting the audience in his place like that

then I saw a version with the subtitles and I thought it made the scene way worse