Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

slinkimalinki posted:

The goon who is planning on going to Yufuin needs to go to Shimon-yu and check if it's still cool
下ん湯

When you went how many non-Japanese tourists were there? I've always been iffy about kinrinko b/c there's usually a lot of Korean/Chinese tourists there. it's also a Tanjun Onsen, I'm spending most of the time in Yufuin at a luxury ryokan, like the 4 days before will all be dedicated to onsen already!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

is there some kind of catch with the $38 and $45 hotels here

Theres no catch. It's Sendai (probably on a weekday), the exchange rate is insane, and hotels haven't updated prices for foreign tourists yet. I've stayed at the Monterey Sendai before and it's a decent biz hotel.

No joke I am staying in Ginza this time in Tokyo for like $100 a night for a twin room which I have never seen in the last 10 years.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

When you went how many non-Japanese tourists were there? I've always been iffy about kinrinko b/c there's usually a lot of Korean/Chinese tourists there.

I can assure you there won't be many Chinese tourists there at the moment.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Why would it matter if there are a lot of Chinese and Korean tourists?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Why would it matter if there are a lot of Chinese and Korean tourists?

here we go!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

all tourists are equally scum in my eyes

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Wonton posted:

Can we visit you in NRT, it’s been years

Sure. Go for it!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s probably the group package tourists who really come in droves and get in your way right?

I hope so because I’m a Chinese tourist, thank you very much.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
We all know weaboos going to hakone can settle for so much less when they are impressed with polyester yukata and powdered miso soup

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

There's miso that's not powder? I thought that's how it came out of the fish.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My company was bought by our Japanese partners and next Friday I'm going to Japan for the first time ever. 14 hours BOS to NRT and then a quick 90 min to ITM. Really stoked! I'm completely clueless on a trip like this so apologies. I've heard a lot about this MYSOS App. Besides that and my passport, am I missing anything?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tim Whatley posted:

My company was bought by our Japanese partners and next Friday I'm going to Japan for the first time ever. 14 hours BOS to NRT and then a quick 90 min to ITM. Really stoked! I'm completely clueless on a trip like this so apologies. I've heard a lot about this MYSOS App. Besides that and my passport, am I missing anything?

Bring giant bags of Halloween candy and you will be a hero!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Better start practicing your chopstick skills now if you want to impress

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

ntan1 posted:

When you went how many non-Japanese tourists were there? I've always been iffy about kinrinko b/c there's usually a lot of Korean/Chinese tourists there. it's also a Tanjun Onsen, I'm spending most of the time in Yufuin at a luxury ryokan, like the 4 days before will all be dedicated to onsen already!

Lol sounds like it's probably not cool any more. I'm jealous of your luxury ryokan!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Hell yeah that's very exciting
Bring melatonin and deodorant, everything else can sorted out after arrival

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Bring melatonin and deodorant, everything else can sorted out after arrival

Facts. Also potential thread title update right here.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Melatonin? Why?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

Melatonin? Why?

Can't buy it here afaik. You can import for personal use tho.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Lucrative black market melatonin

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Man if you guys want some I can bring some next time

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to do a day trip from Osaka to Rabbit Island, would that be viable, or is that just too far out there?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

If I wanted to do a day trip from Osaka to Rabbit Island, would that be viable, or is that just too far out there?

That's a six hour round trip. It's like taking a day trip from Tokyo to Osaka.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 17, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you want to see the rabbits I'd plan a day in Onomichi. It's supposed to be pretty rad, I haven't been yet but it's on the list for next trip.

Hiroshima and Okayama are also both cool and much more reasonable for rabbit trips than Osaka.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

It is doable and fairly straightforward with easy connections (shink->local train->boat), but yeah as others have said, it's best on the way to Hiroshima or somewhere further west. In the warmer months, I might recommend staying the night on the island (there's a hotel), especially if the rest of your trip is mostly city-based.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 17, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trip booked for March. 3/13-3/21 in Tokyo, 3/21-3/22 in Nara, 3/22-3/26 in Kyoto, 3/26-3/30 in Osaka. NRT was way cheaper than Haneda, unfortunately, though instead of flying out of Osaka, we're flying out of NRT again. Shinkansen in the morning out of Osaka to catch a 6:05pm flight out of NRT should be fine, right? I checked transit times, and it seems like we'd have about four hours of wiggle room to make it to the airport by 3:00pm if we left Osaka at 7:00am.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If Rabbit Island is accessible from Onomichi then I HAVE to make it a destination.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

If Rabbit Island is accessible from Onomichi then I HAVE to make it a destination.

Yakuza 6 fan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was already going to Onomichi because of Yakuza 6 ok :colbert:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I only just started 4, dude. Decided to skip 3 after it got real stupid.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Trip booked for March. 3/13-3/21 in Tokyo, 3/21-3/22 in Nara, 3/22-3/26 in Kyoto, 3/26-3/30 in Osaka. NRT was way cheaper than Haneda, unfortunately, though instead of flying out of Osaka, we're flying out of NRT again. Shinkansen in the morning out of Osaka to catch a 6:05pm flight out of NRT should be fine, right? I checked transit times, and it seems like we'd have about four hours of wiggle room to make it to the airport by 3:00pm if we left Osaka at 7:00am.

Yeah, you’ll have plenty of time - take a Shinkansen to Tokyo, do whatever, take a Narita Express at 2 pm or so to get there about 3 pm. 3 hours is plenty of time to get through and to your gate at Narita for international flights.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Is there a budget airline ticket like peach or skymark or something that takes flies you from KIX —> NRT?

Trains on trains to airport is doable but kinda ghetto - especially when you are carrying bags

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Peach should do it I think, Jetstar as well maybe.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Wonton posted:

Trains on trains to airport is doable but kinda ghetto - especially when you are carrying bags

Forgive the ignorance for a first timer, but when going from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto and back on the Shinkansen, do you take your luggage with you and check it like on a plane, or carry it all with you?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

You just carry it on the train, there's overhead storage for small suitcases and if you're lucky you might be able to store things at the back of your carriage.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hey goons is there an airline like peach that flies from Osaka to Narita? You know like peach that flies from Osaka to Narita.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

You just carry it on the train, there's overhead storage for small suitcases and if you're lucky you might be able to store things at the back of your carriage.

These back of carriage seats need to be reserved on certain trains now:
https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/oversized-baggage/

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Hey goons is there an airline like peach that flies from Osaka to Narita? You know like peach that flies from Osaka to Narita.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ham Equity posted:

It might be possible to fly from one airport to another in less time than it takes to take multiple trains to get there. Might have to do some research though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ned posted:

It might be possible to fly from one airport to another in less time than it takes to take multiple trains to get there. Might have to do some research though.

We want to take the train.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, that was a fun 5 or 6 days. After getting F'd over by booking.com and then the next day seeing a price drop that was gone before I could book I watched the tickets skyrocket over the weekend. And stay that way.

I had decided I would wait until tomorrow and book non-direct flights that would at least get me there and not cost $3k.

Glad I waited. Was able to book the exact flights I wanted for all 3 legs.

$1004 total. Booked directly through United.

So I ended up saving $300. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

So I ended up saving $300. Not bad. Not bad at all.

:toot: