Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

eh, at this point you're better off waiting for a flailing team to fire their good coach unless there's a good candidate out there

There's a reason they hired Brunette this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

I'll be going to a Hershey game in a couple weeks, will give the thread a full Sonny Milano report after

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

Stars undefeated I'm gonna go flip a car

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps finally get a win against a bottom-feeder! And then have four games in a row against teams that are currently winless.

I genuinely wonder if they booted Kuzy off PP1 as punishment for being garbage or if they're really just interested in getting different looks after whiffing against Boston and Toronto.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
The San Jose Sharks are even more Dogshit terrible than the Philadelphia Flyers.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What the hell why are there no games tomorrow

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ottawa and Buffalo are fun teams to watch so far.

Vancouver is the opposite of that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm trying to find something I can chuckle at in a positive way and not a "I'm just going to walk out into the ocean" manner regarding the CBJ in the first three games.

One of them is that there are three players with multiple points so far this season: Johnny Gaudreau, Gus Nyquist, and Erik Gudbranson.

One of these things is NOT like the others...

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Matty Berniers seems like a fun and good young player :)

What's the Kraken plan for Wright? Who gets to stay at C and who moves positions?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

eh, at this point you're better off waiting for a flailing team to fire their good coach unless there's a good candidate out there

Dave Hakstol will become available soon. I'm sure. Right?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Matty Berniers seems like a fun and good young player :)

What's the Kraken plan for Wright? Who gets to stay at C and who moves positions?

The plan is that he eventually develops as a 1C or 2C but as a rookie, he's likely to play just 10 games and get sent down to the minors so they don't burn a year of his ELC and cheap control. I know you're a Mariners fan so think about what they did with Kelenic last year by not playing him until May. Same idea.

As for their current plan to actually make that happen, Dave Hakstol has decided it is best to play him for 5 minutes and scratch him instead of playing because he is an awful coach.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Pungry posted:

Dave Hakstol will become available soon. I'm sure. Right?

The plan is that he eventually develops as a 1C or 2C but as a rookie, he's likely to play just 10 games and get sent down to the minors so they don't burn a year of his ELC and cheap control. I know you're a Mariners fan so think about what they did with Kelenic last year by not playing him until May. Same idea.

As for their current plan to actually make that happen, Dave Hakstol has decided it is best to play him for 5 minutes and scratch him instead of playing because he is an awful coach.

He's 18 so he'd have to go back to Kingston which would seem to be entirely pointless.

Womblemania
Sep 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps finally get a win against a bottom-feeder! And then have four games in a row against teams that are currently winless.

I genuinely wonder if they booted Kuzy off PP1 as punishment for being garbage or if they're really just interested in getting different looks after whiffing against Boston and Toronto.

Having "Mojo" be promoted seems like shuffling deck chairs. Haven't watched much Caps since the cup run but they seemed old and listless and drat John Carlson went from a top D man to a guy I feel like could get worked in a high level beer league.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
N: Golden Knights are 3-0 to start the season!

V: It was against Arizona Chicago and Seattle...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Keumper was very solid last night and stopped all the bad turnover breakaways that always made me cringe in the past. Kuzy’s in the doghouse cause he’s been playing like poo poo all over. Was hoping good Kuzy would show up this year like last year. But it’s bad Kuzy so far.

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

tarbrush posted:

N: Golden Knights are 3-0 to start the season!

V: It was against Arizona Chicago and Seattle...

First game was LA not Arizona but the next is Calgary so that is the first real challenge. The team is adapting to Cassidys system and the rookie goalies haven't been tested too hard yet.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OldSenileGuy posted:

What the hell why are there no games tomorrow

Because it's an NFL Sunday and teams don't want to compete against that.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
The Canucks have had 8 goals against this year after 2 games and JT Miller has been on the ice for all 8. It would be peak Vancouver Canucks if, as soon as he signed his extension, he immediately imploded and became a huge albatross of a contract.

Only 2 games in but why can’t we ever have fun?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

AsInHowe posted:

They compete with playoff baseball all October and NFL Sundays run until January, this is just dumb scheduling for the first weekend of the season

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

To be fair it's not like NFL Sundays are a rare event, while a completely empty Sunday slate is a rarity for the NHL. There will be some games on Sundays for the rest of the year, Christmas break aside.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Wasn’t there a similar day early last season where there were no games scheduled?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Dirty Burger posted:

They compete with playoff baseball all October and NFL Sundays run until January, this is just dumb scheduling for the first weekend of the season

Teams don't want to have opening night gates competing with the NFL, and more teams want to play on Saturday for the first weekend of the season.

28 teams playing last night.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Dirty Burger posted:

I wonder if they they didn't want to go up against the Buffalo at Kansas City game that's on national TV this afternoon. It's been the most anticipated game of the regular season since the NFL schedule came out in the spring (For those who don't know, it's a rematch of the "13 Seconds" playoff game from January).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
blues offense was humming against the jackets last night; defense looked about as poor as expected

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

is detroit going to somehow be sneakily good this season
it would be a very Yzerman move to make that happen somehow

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

blues offense was humming against the jackets last night; defense looked about as poor as expected

Didn’t catch the game, I guess Binnington has looked good so far ?

Blues season basically rides and dies on being able to put score their defensive mistakes plus Binnington covering some of them.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

is detroit going to somehow be sneakily good this season
it would be a very Yzerman move to make that happen somehow

philadelphia is also 2-0

I'll say the wings forwards have created a lot of excellent chances but that also was not against good defensive teams. and last night, goaltending kept us in the game, because there were too many defensive lapses, and while ned/husso are good they're not going to be carrying the team. they're much improved over last year and shouldn't have the disastrous blowouts but they're still only an 80-90 point team.

they'll be good enough to actually be enjoyable to watch, unlike last year, where the reason to watch was the rookies

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Leafs using the cap space from Murray going on the LTIR:

https://twitter.com/LeafsPR/status/1581669014618574848?s=20&t=pxzMMbi-H5YtpafI8S9efA

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

lol Wayne Train was on the Marlies? Hang em up dude.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s very sad to see Wayne just flail around ineffectually, I hope he doesn’t play and can just eat popcorn in the press box collecting his cheques.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

philadelphia is also 2-0

I'll say the wings forwards have created a lot of excellent chances but that also was not against good defensive teams. and last night, goaltending kept us in the game, because there were too many defensive lapses, and while ned/husso are good they're not going to be carrying the team. they're much improved over last year and shouldn't have the disastrous blowouts but they're still only an 80-90 point team.

they'll be good enough to actually be enjoyable to watch, unlike last year, where the reason to watch was the rookies

yeah detroit dominated one of the worst teams in the league and then beat NJ because their goalie gave up some awful goals.
this team still has issues, especially the lack of an elite 1c and defensive depth. probably going to finish 9-11th in the east

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Pens look pretty good so far. Granted they played Arizona and then Tampa on a back to back with Tampa having Elliot in net.

Really like how they look so far though

They've looked very balanced so far. Of course it's the first time in forever everyone enters the season 'heathy'. The 3rd pairing and PK still raises questions...PoJ has looked like he's having a little difficulty with adjusting, but hasn't look completely out of place. I actually think Ruuta has been a bit disappointing and would appear Sullivan thinks so as well with him only playing 16:45 a night so far though 4 of those minutes are on the PK. I'm glad Sullivan looks like he's trying to reduce reliance on Letang PK'ing...he only has a minute thirty total.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Wippersnapper posted:

The Canucks have had 8 goals against this year after 2 games and JT Miller has been on the ice for all 8. It would be peak Vancouver Canucks if, as soon as he signed his extension, he immediately imploded and became a huge albatross of a contract.

Only 2 games in but why can’t we ever have fun?

Well, he certainly wasn't signed for his defensive impacts.

More likely is he simply regresses to near-PPG in the short term which isn't enough to make up for his defense.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Like there are some players you think "well their defense is awful but if they ever figure that out they'll be a dynamo". Like that year McDavid was dogshit defensively, then when he fixed that over the summer because he is a hockey machine he had that crazy super MVP season.

JT Miller is not a player who is going to figure out defense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They've looked very balanced so far. Of course it's the first time in forever everyone enters the season 'heathy'. The 3rd pairing and PK still raises questions...PoJ has looked like he's having a little difficulty with adjusting, but hasn't look completely out of place. I actually think Ruuta has been a bit disappointing and would appear Sullivan thinks so as well with him only playing 16:45 a night so far though 4 of those minutes are on the PK. I'm glad Sullivan looks like he's trying to reduce reliance on Letang PK'ing...he only has a minute thirty total.

Honestly have very few complaints about anyone so far. POJ even looked much better in game two than one. Every line has done good things.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
great article on The Athletic on Zuccarello + Kaprizov's friendship and chemistry

and a video with some sick passes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZ8V8dgH-o.

to Minnesota: thank you for taking care of my son.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm pretty excited about this Red Wings season. After cutting cable a few years back I haven't been able to watch, but now I have espn plus or whatever and can watch. The first two games have been fun.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

to Minnesota: thank you for taking care of my son.

They also went bowling recently. Those two are just awesome to watch together and are already clicking along again. I will not be surprised if Kaprizov finishes with 100+ pts again and a ton of that is down to Zuccarello.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fisting by many posted:

Like there are some players you think "well their defense is awful but if they ever figure that out they'll be a dynamo". Like that year McDavid was dogshit defensively, then when he fixed that over the summer because he is a hockey machine he had that crazy super MVP season.

JT Miller is not a player who is going to figure out defense.

Also against the Oilers 2 goals were Oilers powerplays, 1 was a SHG for the Oilers and the last was an empty netter.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If the Devils are supposed to be good explain this analyticsailures

https://twitter.com/papiblez/status/1582044858176241671?s=20&t=mNZjmtxy55c9NfP5-aswbw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's the goaltending. Also Lindy Ruff. Mostly the goaltending. From the game I saw last week Blackwood was beat clean by shots from the outside slot area which went easily 3 or 4 inches inside the post. That's super bad. And unlike Hakstol goaltending which seems to give up an inordinate east/west big movement lateral chances these were dead straight from the same angle the goalie should account for.