Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

Sombra needs a nerf I think. I've been playing her in DPS placements and she drives the other team completely insane. If they all don't peel at once it's like a squishy insta-delete

I've faced some Sombra/Zen duos and the rate you get just deleted are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sombra Genji dive is funny at lower-mid ranks because most supports aren't good enough to defend themselves from it and DPS/tanks aren't smart enough to peel for when it happens. Ping target as Sombra, hack target, shoot target, Genji dashes into target, dead target. Repeat, lmao.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Mercy Quad-kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFfwJ8GUcg4

Technically video cuts after 3, but I capped Cassidys rear end too. :black101:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

teagone posted:

Sombra Genji dive is funny at lower-mid ranks because most supports aren't good enough to defend themselves from it and DPS/tanks aren't smart enough to peel for when it happens. Ping target as Sombra, hack target, shoot target, Genji dashes into target, dead target. Repeat, lmao.

The funniest part of this is that the low rank sombra can’t one clip the support :v:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
While I've probably been wrecked more times than counter-played, I've still chased and burned down many a Sombra as Moira once the ability lock ended because they didn't aim for the head.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

The funniest part of this is that the low rank sombra can’t one clip the support :v:

That's why you supplement the lovely aim with the genji dash, lmao.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

yeah it's fun to give some poor DPS PTSD by repeatedly hacking them without coming out of invisibility

It's fun to do this with anyone.

It's one of my favorite things to do in mystery heroes when I get Sombra. Just pick out someone and keep hacking them but never shoot them.

It's especially funny to do to a Rein since they can't hit you so long as you're out of hammer range.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
So as someone with a healthy supply of skins from OW1, no particular need to be able to play every single hero (I’d LIKE to, but not if it costs tons of time or any money), can I completely ignore the battle pass and challenge system?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cretin90 posted:

So as someone with a healthy supply of skins from OW1, no particular need to be able to play every single hero (I’d LIKE to, but not if it costs tons of time or any money), can I completely ignore the battle pass and challenge system?

You can for season 1 since by being a returning OW1 player you get Sojourn, Junker Queen, and Kiriko immediately when you log in during the launch window. However, in future seasons, you'll have to grind the battlepass for some time to unlock the new hero.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cretin90 posted:

For another 7 weeks or so.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Take the spider-men pointing at each other meme, mixed with the Revenge of the Sith Gif where they're just standing in place and twirling their lightsabers, and that's what I just saw in Total Mayhem with the Zaryas.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

drat so if i owned overwatch 1 but never booted it up on this account before am i just screwed out of having everything unlocked?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

No, you owned the game.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

RBX posted:

No, you owned the game.

Whoah RBX. That is like a 2018 overwatch poster

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Ugh, God support just feels like rear end to play in most pubbie matches. I don't remember it being this bad in OW1 like how it is now.

I'll try to pocket somebody as Mercy, enemy Genji steps around a corner to start wailing on me, DPS/Tank I'm pocketing just heads forward in one direction oblivious to my pleas for help. Rinse, wash, repeat. Zero situational awareness.

Also, it seems like you either insta-kill the enemy or get killed yourself or support just erases all damage immediately, there's little if any middle ground when it comes to dealing damage and making it stick.

E: I especially hate when the tank constantly charges forward solo into an enemy team of 5, leaving the rest of us to trickle in. There's no way for the rest of us to make headway when the game rhythm is so hosed because of a dumbass tank.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 17, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Ugh, God support just feels like rear end to play in most pubbie matches. I don't remember it being this bad in OW1 like how it is now.

I'll try to pocket somebody as Mercy, enemy Genji steps around a corner to start wailing on me, DPS/Tank I'm pocketing just heads forward in one direction oblivious to my pleas for help. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Also, it seems like you either insta-kill the enemy or get killed yourself or support just erases all damage immediately, there's little if any middle ground when comes to dealing damage and making it stick.

Welcome to OW2, enjoy your stay. That's how the game works now.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RBX posted:

No, you owned the game.

i just say since i launched overwatch 2 and it acted like i was a new player with only default unlocks. is there something additional i need to do or is it still in its buggy phase 2 weeks in?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'll try to pocket somebody as Mercy, enemy Genji steps around a corner to start wailing on me, DPS/Tank I'm pocketing just heads forward in one direction oblivious to my pleas for help. Rinse, wash, repeat. Zero situational awareness.

Play Bap instead. He's awesome.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Finally ripped the bandage off of competitive just to see where I land. Man that poo poo is not fun.

Futaba Anzu posted:

i just say since i launched overwatch 2 and it acted like i was a new player with only default unlocks. is there something additional i need to do or is it still in its buggy phase 2 weeks in?

Check to see if you need to merge your accounts. As a console player it started with just my PC unlocks which sucked pretty bad but almost everything got moved over successfully (somewhere I lost the silver lucio skin but I never used it anyway).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i've only been a pc player with just one battlenet account, i guess it is just what it is. i didn't have any skins or unlocks to begin with, but how long does it take to unlock all the heroes from 1 if i just play normally and is there anything else i miss out on by not having that transferred?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

how long does it take to unlock all the heroes from 1

100 matches

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Futaba Anzu posted:

i've only been a pc player with just one battlenet account, i guess it is just what it is. i didn't have any skins or unlocks to begin with, but how long does it take to unlock all the heroes from 1 if i just play normally and is there anything else i miss out on by not having that transferred?

Brutal. Contact support, if such a thing exists.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I had everything unlocked via renting from Gamefly in 2016. Kinda surprised me.

But it probably means they're validating with a database check on game entitlements, not a license entitlement, so I'd expect having played would matter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the weekly challenge of 20 team kills could probably be bumped up to 30 or even doubled to 40 if it counted team kills ON your team too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've played about 1 to 2ish hours a day since launch. Not sure how many days I haven't played, but it wasn't many. I've notched 18 hours of comp so far though, so that's been a big chunk of my playtime. The first 20 team kill weekly challenge didn't really seem that hard actually, likely because I wasn't really aware of its progress lol. Not sure how long it took me/when it completed for the first week tbh.

I paid more attention to tracking challenges for the second week, and the team kills was the last thing I completed. Got the last two I needed in QP matches that were on Control earlier today. If it's a challenge again next week, you can maybe have better success completing it by just queuing the Push playlist in Arcade and farm the challenge there.

[edit] I'm also tier 53 on the battle pass with the amount I've played thus far.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 17, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Splinter posted:

Noobs into gold or maybe high silver is how it worked in OW1, but not 2. You'd rise or fall very fast after that though as your MMR stabilized. Like 50-100 SR per game.

Did it take into account QP hidden MMR during placements in OW1, at least for a couple games? What about 2? I'm sure we could speculate but maybe this is confirmed somewhere.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

headcase posted:

Whoah RBX. That is like a 2018 overwatch poster

Yeah I came back. Its really weird not playing after 5 years and coming back to this. Last i played seriously I got up to 3500 SR or whatever mainly playing Zen and anything else. I feel so much more naked as a healer but i'm also not berated for trying to help kill as everybody needs to contribute with 1 less body. Tanks are all out of wack. The only viable one's I see are Zaraya (the best), Winston, Dva, and maybe Rein but the way the game plays now his shield is near useless. People have gotten way better and the game is much faster. I'm like 4-3 in ranked and it feels about the same. I don't expect much until I get higher in rank. Still don't know how to feel about it all but at least its a fresh game.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think Sigma is still really strong too; he shits out damage and the projected barrier is still useful

Just not quite as the go-to as Zarya (or dva for maps that require vertical mobility)

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i tried doin some comp in support queue and forgot how toxic this game is. people getting really angry at each other, saying slurs, dogpiling a dps for not being good enough to turn the game on their own. was a really bad time. the tanks all felt entitled to have big heads, too. being locked as support when your tank and dps aren't cutting it is a special kind of hell, especially when the enemy has a reaper who can target you with zero pushback from your team. it's pretty amazing seeing old overwatch 1 tech come back with a vengeance. dps that don't know how to break barriers, reapers getting death blossom team kills with no one to stop them.

anyway baptiste is the closest support character to being an actual well-rounded dps character, so if you try support queue hell you should play him a lot. I think I'm sticking to quickplay, where people are chill. I've managed to go years without hearing a teenage boy say slurs and I am too old to go back to that life.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I don't remember it being this bad in OW1 like how it is now.

i think it's a combination of the backline being dangerously exposed to fire way, way more than in OW1 (a situation that's compounded whenever your tank chooses something that doesn't have either a shield or a giant hitbox to shoot through) and the removal of CC + the damage role boost making it way harder to pin down skirmishers, or at least trade with them

it's a weird situation where the only real defense against skirmishers for supports in most pub games is going to be outdueling them, and if you can do that then you may as well be playing DPS in the first place

Cephas posted:

anyway baptiste is the closest support character to being an actual well-rounded dps character, so if you try support queue hell you should play him a lot.

i think moira much more fits the role, especially since she's one of the only supports who has even a snowball's chance in hell of fighting a decent genji/sombra 1v1. you just gotta remember to left click sometimes

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

novaSphere posted:

I think Sigma is still really strong too; he shits out damage and the projected barrier is still useful

Just not quite as the go-to as Zarya (or dva for maps that require vertical mobility)

Oh yeah him too. I've just never played him.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Cephas posted:

i tried doin some comp in support queue and forgot how toxic this game is. people getting really angry at each other, saying slurs, dogpiling a dps for not being good enough to turn the game on their own. was a really bad time. the tanks all felt entitled to have big heads, too. being locked as support when your tank and dps aren't cutting it is a special kind of hell, especially when the enemy has a reaper who can target you with zero pushback from your team. it's pretty amazing seeing old overwatch 1 tech come back with a vengeance. dps that don't know how to break barriers, reapers getting death blossom team kills with no one to stop them.

anyway baptiste is the closest support character to being an actual well-rounded dps character, so if you try support queue hell you should play him a lot. I think I'm sticking to quickplay, where people are chill. I've managed to go years without hearing a teenage boy say slurs and I am too old to go back to that life.

I opt out of all non-group voice and text chat. Some poster earlier in the thread was complaining about how anyone who does this is a fragile person, but I play to shoot things, not experience the emotional equivalent of a retail customer service job where all the customers are anonymous.

If it’s something I need to see or hear, it can be said via ping.

Also I main support and I get enough tilt from NEED HEALING! spam.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Vermain posted:

i think moira much more fits the role, especially since she's one of the only supports who has even a snowball's chance in hell of fighting a decent genji/sombra 1v1. you just gotta remember to left click sometimes

i know moira is really popular for her damage options, but imo baptiste is great for shoring up weaknesses in your team's damage output since he's hitscan and has that nice burst fire. He can help break shields from a safe distance, take on pharah and echo, go for headshots, kill confirm enemies that moira can't reach, and suppress dangerous long-range heroes like cassidy/widow/ashe/soldier/sojourn. Ana is great for that too but has to split her attention much more in order to be an effective healer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah if you're slumming it up in solo queue qp as support, learn Bap. His kit offers so much more value to your team over like Mercy (who I feel like is the worst support right now :(). His burst heals/supplemental damage are great, and I'd always want to have his lamp on my team tbh. It's too good. [edit] The aim dependance on his primary heals is also more forgiving than Ana's, which is honestly why I prefer him lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 17, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

i know moira is really popular for her damage options, but imo baptiste is great for shoring up weaknesses in your team's damage output since he's hitscan and has that nice burst fire. He can help break shields from a safe distance, take on pharah and echo, go for headshots, kill confirm enemies that moira can't reach, and suppress dangerous long-range heroes like cassidy/widow/ashe/soldier/sojourn. Ana is great for that too but has to split her attention much more in order to be an effective healer.

baptiste's issue is that his damage falloff removes a lot of the benefits of his hitscanning (antiair, finishing blows at range), and it's still reliant on good tracking and time to deal with skirmishers when you've got maybe a couple seconds before sombra splats you. ana is still the better hitscan healer in large part because of how absurd biotic grenade is when one target is eating the majority of the healing; if you tag a tank with it when their cooldowns are blown then they get obliterated

really, moira is strong in pubs less because of damage and more because she has immense personal agency. you can shift to deal with skirmishers and avoid teamwipe ults, and coalescence lets you nuke the backline supports your DPS can't figure out how to flank around to get to. the raw numbers on the scoreboard don't always sell someone's full impact: a sojourn with 10k who fires a million rounds into a roadhog is gonna win far less than the 4k hanzo that manages to dink a support at the start of every fight

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Moira and Bap are both good picks for enduring pubbie QP. Learn them both. Lol.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

learn moira and then kiriko when she unlocks so you can make every pub sombra cry when you turn their relatively immobile heads into a dartboard

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bap's gently caress off super jump is also great. Use it a lot. I escaped an angry Zarya last night and it was awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVZUnZpsrfA

[edit] Looking at the replay, I just realized that was a 4v5 in favor of the enemy team that whole first fight because our DPS dropped and the replacement hadn't picked a hero yet, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 17, 2022

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

After playing Gundam and having a blast with Methuss I've concluded it's time to let Mercy shoot her pistol while healing

and give her a targeted nuke, thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Bap just feels meh. He can't really do damage from range, his thing is easily shot and his ult isn't the best. And you don't have to shoot a lot because you have to heal because his heal is so slow.