Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

BONGHITZ posted:

what kind of dog would Elliot Rodgers be?

dogo virgintino
cretin hound
lhasa rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Dywan Woof

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

BONGHITZ posted:

what kind of dog would Elliot Rodgers be?

pitbull

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

Dywan Woof

now this is content

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I just want wun of dese bitches to wuv me UwU.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Loucks posted:

Wrong and dumb
drat, you're right. i see the error of my ways and now i think ol' anders just needs some group therapy for killing 77 people. also norway should repeal all gun laws to make sure it never happens again, because gun laws are racist.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean I havent been on 4chan since like 2007. Have they gotten to the point where they straight up chat about shooting up schools?
they were doing that in 2007 too

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Oct 14, 2022

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
Dywann UwUf

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

bobtheconqueror posted:

Pipe dream prison to me would be a functional mental health institution. Evaluate prisoners for issues and try to treat those that can be, focused on rehabilitation rather than punishment. People, even mass murderers, are a product of their environment. It's a practical requirement that society isolate and monitor those who cannot safely be free, but the conditions that made them dangerous aren't necessarily permanent or their fault.

I fully admit that functional mental health institutions might be impossible and that this is impossible given our punishment obsessed criminal justice system.

there's literally no cure for antisocial personality disorder. it's just how it is.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

not technically a mass shooting but lol nonetheless

https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1581054699046043648

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
jesus christ

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And I'm proud to be an American because at least I know I'm freeeeeeee

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

TenementFunster posted:

drat, you're right. i see the error of my ways and now i think ol' anders just needs some group therapy for killing 77 people. also norway should repeal all gun laws to make sure it never happens again, because gun laws are racist.

i'm pretty sure norway has one of the higher guns per capita in the world already. probably would be improved by reinstating the death penalty, though

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Nosfereefer posted:

i'm pretty sure norway has one of the higher guns per capita in the world already.

Incidentally, PBS Newshour did a story on exactly this, just last week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0u5MA31T6I

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

when exactly did imgur become so lovely

a couple of years ago the edit function worked fine and you could always quickly access your pics, the only problem was weird delays uploading mp4s

now it's a complete shitshow

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Bring back waffleimages

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

quote:

On September 27, 2021, Imgur announced that they were acquired by MediaLab AI, Inc., a holding company of internet brands.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Filthy Hans posted:

a couple of years ago the edit function worked fine and you could always quickly access your pics, the only problem was weird delays uploading mp4s

now it's a complete shitshow

how weird everything now has to be an excuse to shove ads somewhere

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

you are a gentleman and a scholar

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

“Punishing” people for their crimes is some backward, bloodthirsty idiocy.

Yeah, separate people who have shown that they can’t refrain from harming others, but that doesn’t mean we need to harm them unnecessarily in the process. Separate them, ensure their needs are being met, and don’t worry about making them suffer for their crimes because literally no one but psychos would benefit from the last bit.

TenementFunster posted:

drat, you're right. i see the error of my ways and now i think ol' anders just needs some group therapy for killing 77 people.

This is a genuinely terrible false dilemma. Almost everyone itt is smarter than this.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
killing others? mjstopit.gif

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Loucks posted:

Yeah, separate people who have shown that they can’t refrain from harming others, but that doesn’t mean we need to harm them unnecessarily in the process. Separate them, ensure their needs are being met, and don’t worry about making them suffer for their crimes because literally no one but psychos would benefit from the last bit.

Isn't that basically a punishment though

(Genuinely not loving with you lol, I'm just curious if separating people and keeping them controlled would count as a punishment)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's the absolute minimum amount of punishment required to keep people safe. it's vindictive and sadistic when you go over the minimum

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the maximum punishment is having to read ur post history aloud in a court of your peers

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Loucks posted:

I don't think you have to be "literally a psycho" to want some form of retribution to people that cause great harm and trauma to others.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

mass killers (white teens) must spend the rest of their lives in silent contemplation at a remote monastery. Every 10 years they may be evaluated by a council of elders and taken to coney island for a weekend if the elders approve

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Google Butt posted:

the maximum punishment is having to read ur post history aloud in a court of your peers

You've got it easy, just start saying HEY SIRI or OK GOOGLE and sign your posts. when it's your turn at the tribunal everybody will be too busy giggling at their phones

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Good soup! posted:

Isn't that basically a punishment though

(Genuinely not loving with you lol, I'm just curious if separating people and keeping them controlled would count as a punishment)

Punishment as a side effect or an occasionally necessary tool of harm minimization in pursuit of justice is a distinct pattern from punishment as justice.

If you detain someone until you can assure that they are not a risk to others, that's really loving different from detaining someone because you want them to suffer and imagine their suffering as a tool to control others.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Google Butt posted:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
america deserves the death penalty

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

What a weird thread this is to discover. I'm intrigued by the sentiment that murderers should be rehabilitated ( I don't actually disagree in many cases ) so they can go out and walk among the people whos loved ones they killed. But they're rehabilitated, so when you see their face and are reminded of the horror they committed, you should be okay with that for some reason. I don't think anyone willing to destroy the rights of others should have the same rights extended to them. It doesn't seem fair.
But I don't know a better solution so maybe I'm a loving moron, situations like this where I voice my opinion without trying to start a drat fight are often met with people taking it as malicious and starting a fight. So i'm putting it out there that maybe I'm not seeing why I am wrong.

Also is there a running joke i'm not aware of where you act like Australians are the worst humans alive or what? :confused:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Neuronyx posted:

Also is there a running joke i'm not aware of where you act like Australians are the worst humans alive or what? :confused:

i mean... have you ever met one before? or even just heard one speak. the joke is that you're running in the other direction

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Neuronyx posted:

we fear antipodeans because they have survived where we cannot so we mask our fears with smug derision

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Neuronyx posted:

What a weird thread this is to discover. I'm intrigued by the sentiment that murderers should be rehabilitated ( I don't actually disagree in many cases ) so they can go out and walk among the people whos loved ones they killed. But they're rehabilitated, so when you see their face and are reminded of the horror they committed, you should be okay with that for some reason. I don't think anyone willing to destroy the rights of others should have the same rights extended to them. It doesn't seem fair.
But I don't know a better solution so maybe I'm a loving moron, situations like this where I voice my opinion without trying to start a drat fight are often met with people taking it as malicious and starting a fight. So i'm putting it out there that maybe I'm not seeing why I am wrong.

i'm not sure anyone was arguing that murderers and truly psychopathic anti-social people who have caused quantifiable harm should be rehabilitated and let loose into society as a free and unencumbered citizen again, just that they should be treated with dignity and respect, as should all humans.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
contemporary american prisons are horrible places and a lot of people who run them see them either as a slave filled money printer or as a tortuous punishment hole and so when we say "abolish prisons" we are talking about that. i'm not sure what the deal is lately with people intentionally misunderstanding the point or latching onto a self-constructed terrible-result version of these arguments.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Stereotype posted:

i'm not sure anyone was arguing that murderers and truly psychopathic anti-social people who have caused quantifiable harm should be rehabilitated and let loose into society as a free and unencumbered citizen again, just that they should be treated with dignity and respect, as should all humans.

Hard to argue with that honestly.

Stereotype posted:

contemporary american prisons are horrible places and a lot of people who run them see them either as a slave filled money printer or as a tortuous punishment hole and so when we say "abolish prisons" we are talking about that. i'm not sure what the deal is lately with people intentionally misunderstanding the point or latching onto a self-constructed terrible-result version of these arguments.

"intentionally"? There's no need to assume I'm that much of an rear end in a top hat. I said I was trying to avoid fights. Hell I've already believed everything you said before that for a while now. But i'm unaware of any implied terrible result.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Stereotype posted:

it’s the same reaction you see a lot to “abolish the police” where people think it means “no laws, full anarchy” and not “the current law enforcement system is fundamentally unfixable and a new system is needed”

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Neuronyx posted:

Act like?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Neuronyx posted:

pretty sure that’s still (white) South Africans

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[clicks on thread]
aww nawr!
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Neuronyx posted:

Hard to argue with that honestly.

"intentionally"? There's no need to assume I'm that much of an rear end in a top hat. I said I was trying to avoid fights. Hell I've already believed everything you said before that for a while now. But i'm unaware of any implied terrible result.

Sorry, I got in an argument with someone else about something similar irl and had flashbacks when i read your post. sorry, my bad