Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Pollyanna posted:

This is alllllllll VCV Rack. I’m limiting myself to only physical modules that I’ve DIYed, both designed and built, so I only have a power module IRL. :v:

How do you draw those borders? Almost everything has some kinda knob that affects the patch. I’ve tried putting sequencing and modulation modules on top and voice and audio modules on the bottom, but clearly it’s not as simple as that.

Arbitrarily, smoke a weede, there is no path.
This is supremely subjective but I'll try to effortpost a moment. For the way I enjoy playing I've naturally over time just replicated functionality in my system. Initially I didn't notice and some of the ignorance wore down with practice, as it does A(u)DHD friends, it does. Rough edges hewn I reckoned the unconscious intent and now foster it:
most of my modulators are quadrature, I've doubled and tripled up on 4-of things and made sure there's taps (complex eg) or sufficient FM ins (doc oc) or foo such the duplication still adds value
I most enjoy extreme FM and AM, bipolar wonders like the trap gen, and thru-zero trick modules, then. (really this is dump my euro, get a EMS vco card for an Easel and go live in a shack until death but,,)
along my farts I do personally prefer a keyboarded interface for a lead voice, from too much organ twiddling, trust, so the kb37 became a roland minimoog from latvia

These things just start migrating towards each other heterodyning with the player and their intent or interest. If you don't have one stick around with the other until it shows up. Waiting for oh-no. When it's bad, hit da bricks. Take a break, come back a different being.
I think a point in OP's vid is made well, take notes about what works and what don't

field balm posted:

Maybe a wierd opinion but utilities are the best part of modular

Hell ya, one bloke on the mylar State of Euro vid he did had a byline something like "modular consists entirely of clocks and waveshapers" :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Startyde posted:

Hell ya, one bloke on the mylar State of Euro vid he did had a byline something like "modular consists entirely of clocks and waveshapers" :hellyeah:

lol when a homie and I came up w/ this soldering benjolins it was 'clocks and slews'. A sine shaper is just a very carefully calculated integrator, after all!

Serge modules are very true to this, especially the old school early 70s positive/negative slope gens. what a mindfuck of a module. so simple. and yet.

roy harder
Jul 14, 2005

The things I've seen...

Laserjet 4P posted:

The real cumbersome part is the FX routing for each part and not being able to put insert effects on more than one timbre. Other than that the XP30 is kickin rad.

See if you can get the SRJV vintage synth and keys of the 60s/70s boards.

Yes, I'll go on some board hunting, especially looking for the dance and vintage synth ones.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone go to modular meetups in their area? I'm looking to start one with some friends so if anyone goes to one that is fairly regular I'd be interested in hearing about the venue and things like that.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A local synth store hosted a few but for a couple reasons it felt a little official. Worked better like listen to a lecture / chat than jam.

A local artspace did similar things but their big hook was a subscription studio rental thing so again felt like if you werent a member you were there as a customer not to hang out (this varied w/ who was running stuff)

The best was a friend of mine who worked at a coffee shop that closed at 7 would do things, he got permission 1 night / week to do jams there and would push tables together. That ruled, it was basically just... jamming in a coffee shop (sometimes he'd make a pot even lol), well lit, spacious, etc.

Done things at people's houses/apartments too which is fine... if everyone's friendly and the host is good at hosting. Can be awkward if there's like a smell that they're used to and no one else is. Wouldn't recommend.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Partner got me the pocket operator modular as a bday gift, put it together over the weekend so I can spend my birthday next week smoking and patching. It's loving awesome molding sounds like this. I got my keystep hooked up and arpeggiating and i'm having a blast. Where do you guys buy patch cables? amazon? I'm finding I'll need a couple extra long ones to connect from the keyboard. I'm totally happy with this kit, though. It was a bit sketchy to put together but it's so fun.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Where do you guys buy patch cables? amazon?

Hosa patch cables from Amazon when I need some and I’m not buying a module from somewhere else. Black Market if I’m already ordering something from Sweetwater. LMNTL if I’m already ordering something from Perfect Circuit.

The vast majority of my patch cables are Hosas though, and I have no complaints.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Stan Taylor posted:

Where do you guys buy patch cables?
I"m a huge stan for Boredbrain cables. I've literally never had one go bad.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

This has gotta be Portland :allears:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

aunt jenkins posted:

This has gotta be Portland :allears:
lol one of those is a small enough crew its very possible we know each other

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks for info.

We're lucky enough to have a synth based open mic night in my town but there's no place for people to show up and talk about their setups and patches which is surprisingly in demand.

I reached out to a few breweries for now but every place I visited I was scoping out all the power outlets because that's always going to be a big pain point.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I did a silly thing Friday night and drunk-purchased a Behringer TD-3

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

as fatboy slim expects you to

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

One might even go so far as to say he would praise you for the desicison.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

I did a silly thing Friday night and drunk-purchased a Behringer TD-3

After you program in Da Funk and Confusion, you will be ONE OF US

Edit: seriously it's so fun

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 18, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

welcome to the errr phuture

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

congratulations on obtaining A Higher State Of Consciousness

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

you're gonna need a pair of googles to ceephax all that acid crew

watho
Aug 2, 2013

JamesKPolk posted:

you're gonna need a pair of googles to ceephax all that acid crew

ughhhhhhhhhhhh

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Arturia is apparently embiggening the Microfreak into a whole Minifreak, I guess:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/arturia-minifreak-polyphonic-hybrid-keyboard-synthesizer-1617309

Looks interesting

watho
Aug 2, 2013

that’s expensive but it seems like one more oscillator and multiple filters for 6 voices of true polyphony compared to the micro version which is a pretty sick upgrade. very very tempting

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Loopop of course on the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9mZ_Mc2x90

Neat

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

McCoy Pauley posted:

Arturia is apparently embiggening the Microfreak into a whole Minifreak, I guess:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/arturia-minifreak-polyphonic-hybrid-keyboard-synthesizer-1617309

Looks interesting

Well now I know what I want for Christmas

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I always loved the micro freak and now look at that fella.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ohhh I’d been eyeing the microfreak. Sweet.

Also I’ve got modular on the brain now, can anyone recommend some resources for beginners? Im sure I’ll figure some of this out eventually, but I have a bunch of super basic questions. Like are there cables I could get route an output to multiple inputs or is that a bad idea?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If the price weren't a deal breaker for me, the loss of the touchplate interface sure is. I know I'm in the minority of preference, but that is disappointing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Stan Taylor posted:

Ohhh I’d been eyeing the microfreak. Sweet.

Also I’ve got modular on the brain now, can anyone recommend some resources for beginners? Im sure I’ll figure some of this out eventually, but I have a bunch of super basic questions. Like are there cables I could get route an output to multiple inputs or is that a bad idea?

I'm gonna take the easy question:

There are lots of options for splitter or stackable cables, or you can use a "mult" module which distributes an input to many outputs (sorta like a power strip does with a power outlet.) If you want to go the other way, many outputs into a single input, I'd generally try a mixer just to make sure I'm not overdriving an input.

There are lots of great intro vids out there, and a few manufacturers making semimodular... modules like the Mother-32 or the Neutron. If you want to get started with no financial outlay at all, VCV Rack is a software modular that replicates the workflow real well and has a lot of irl modules modeled with it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mister Speaker posted:

Cool! Thank you :)

I'm really curious how it performs with overdrive, fuzz, aggressive stuff. Maybe the Q-Chord has a preset that handles fuzz much more like a guitar, but none of the videos I've seen have really explored that side of it. Like I said, it's mostly been shoegaze/ambient stuff, where it really seems to shine. I want to know if it's got grit.

It took me longer than expected to sit down with this, sorry. https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/test-q-chord-overdrive

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Hmmmm jd990? Jv something?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

JV1080 I reckon.

e: Hey synth thread, should I buy a Hydrasynth Desktop?

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 19, 2022

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Yeah I love mine, it’s a Swiss Army knife of synthesis.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
New SQ-64 firmware available. Not a lot of big changes but fixes some issues and seems better than Korg just abandoning it with the recent price cut.

https://www.korg.com/uk/news/2022/1018/

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Boody posted:

New SQ-64 firmware available. Not a lot of big changes but fixes some issues and seems better than Korg just abandoning it with the recent price cut.

https://www.korg.com/uk/news/2022/1018/

- Add Step Copy function.
- Improved Step Edit behavior (Supports new addition and deletion of note)

it was wild to me it didn't ship w/ this stuff lol. just needs to send / receive program change for pattern selection and my complaints are gone

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The FM engine on the M8 is super rad, and the creator put up a video demoing a drum kit he's selling using FM. It sounds so dang good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAk3jVNYDts

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

So Math posted:

It took me longer than expected to sit down with this, sorry. https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/test-q-chord-overdrive

No worries, thanks for trying it out! Seems like an acquired taste, I wonder how it would sound with a sub octave before the distortion, it's just a little bright for my liking - it really does sound like the strum pad is like four octaves wide. Is there a setting to lower that?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do you add/scale v/oct? I'm trying to quantize a Turing machine and use the output as a v/oct semitone offset relative to a root note, but that only seems to work for 0V. Adding the Turing machine output to the root note v/oct sounds way out of tune. I assume that's because v/oct is exponential in nature rather than linear.

For context, I'm trying to consistently transpose a melodic sequence from a Turing machine so that all I have to do is (for example) hit C on my midi controller, then E, then G at the right times to make a melodic progression.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

How do you add/scale v/oct? I'm trying to quantize a Turing machine and use the output as a v/oct semitone offset relative to a root note, but that only seems to work for 0V. Adding the Turing machine output to the root note v/oct sounds way out of tune. I assume that's because v/oct is exponential in nature rather than linear.

For context, I'm trying to consistently transpose a melodic sequence from a Turing machine so that all I have to do is (for example) hit C on my midi controller, then E, then G at the right times to make a melodic progression.

What are you using to add the voltages together? I think this is often why you want a module that is a "precision adder". I usually run voltage through a quantizer after those sort of operations to not worry.

edit: If you're in eurorack, v/o should be linear and not exponential, it's 1 volt per octave.

If you're using something like an SQ-1 set to the wrong settings, you might not be on 1 volt per octave mode.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Precision adder was it! Thanks!

Means I also found this cool chiptune-y thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUodxtKIKk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Awe Yeah! I know I'm late to realise this, but Befaco put noise plethora in VCV Rack!
oooh yeah, this is a fun module
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/nother-doodle-002