Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Guess she did give her answer when the bells tolled after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’m glad we got a “I studied the blade” speech from Aemond.

I think Rhaenys held back on incinerating them all because, while it might feel good and it would look super cool, it’s not really a great decision. Aegon seemingly had the support of the townsfolk and Rhaenyra’s still all the way on Dragonstone, so burning the poo poo out of everyone and then peaceing out and leaving everything in chaos might not work out so great in the long run. And it’s ultimately not her fight, it’s Rhaenyra’s. Rhaenys isn’t going to be queen either way.

That said, she definitely should have fried everyone and then declared herself queen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think Rhaenys held back on incinerating them all because, while it might feel good and it would look super cool, it’s not really a great decision. Aegon seemingly had the support of the townsfolk and Rhaenyra’s still all the way on Dragonstone, so burning the poo poo out of everyone and then peaceing out and leaving everything in chaos might not work out so great in the long run. And it’s ultimately not her fight, it’s Rhaenyra’s. Rhaenys isn’t going to be queen either way.

That said, she definitely should have fried everyone and then declared herself queen.

They can fly in from Dragonstone in the same day with the dragons though?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

She already killed all the townsfolk, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I mostly enjoyed the episode. Well, kinda, I wasn’t totally sold on many things.

1. Rhaenys is still an enigma of a character. She was the one talking Corlys out of politicking, now she clearly takes a side in the conflict but refuses to get her own hands dirty. We’re told she wants to assert her own agency but it seems to be manifesting in very cryptic ways.

2. Foot fetish scene, eh. That seemed like something D&D might have inserted in the desperate late seasons. It does not resonate with the righteous, upstanding characterization of Alicent. It felt abrupt and unnecessary. Like an HBO exec complained that there wasn’t enough sex and they wildly overcorrected.

3. The divergence between Alicent and Otto isn’t sketched clearly enough. Is it really significant who gets Aegon first? It seems like Aegon would still have to make his own decision and there would still be opportunities for the other side to weigh in. I did enjoy the search, though we got deprived of a real sword fight.

4. Lol at the dragon popping up through the ground and cavalierly massacring a bunch of civilians. The aftermath was bizarre as well. Why were the guards closing the door? Why was Otto telling them to open it? Yes, I understand why they might each have done it, but it seemed like a totally unnecessary point of tension that wound up having no significance.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Guys closing the doors are like “holy poo poo trap the dragon in there!” while Otto is screaming “holy poo poo don’t trap us with a dragon in here!”

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

loved "you guys already had a plan to install my son on the throne, without me?"

and they're just like well its all good now right? you decided you wanted to do it too, and hey, awesome, we're all ready to go

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Ryan Condal says in the behind the episode that Rhaenys didn't want to "kill another mother"

lovely reasoning imo.

The rest of the season has been good enough that I'd put it down to a network mandated set piece. The next worst part of the season was the stupid crab battle

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Team Hightower seems like a bunch of kunckleheads if you ask me.

Also has Aemond actually done anything bad other than push his jerkass cousin around? Or does he just look like an evil mastermind?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

GigaPeon posted:

Also has Aemond actually done anything bad other than push his jerkass cousin around? Or does he just look like an evil mastermind?

He tried to kill his nephews/cousins with a rock.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GigaPeon posted:

It would be a great twist if a dude that fucky-looking ended up being a benevolent soul. A Ned Stark kind of dude. Instead it seems like he will be exactly what he looks like.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

What I’m still really confused about is Sonoya Mizuno’s accent. Did someone tell her to do that? Did she come up with it herself? Why did no one say “Hey, this is awful and borderline unintelligible”? She’s been fine in everything else I’ve seen her in, so what the hell? I don’t think I’ve seen any comments on her by the showrunners or Mizuno herself, so maybe everyone’s just trying to ignore it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
they must have told sonoya mizuno to sound "foreign" but not any nation anyone's ever heard of

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Xiahou Dun posted:

He tried to kill his nephews/cousins with a rock.

Didn't they start that poo poo though?

IMO, if you "steal" a dragon, I'm pretty sure the dragon would let you know pretty quickly.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

If Larys was the Littlefinger of the show he just graduated to Littlefoot

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Sonoya Mizuno sounded particularly dubbed over this episode too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OctaMurk posted:

they must have told sonoya mizuno to sound "foreign" but not any nation anyone's ever heard of

What nation should she have picked? Or language, rather, because it's not like accents come from the water. It's a fictional world, wouldn't it be weird if she spoke with a distinct, perfect Russian accent or whatever?

I don't get this criticism. You can not like it, sure, but it can't really be inaccurate, right? I don't like the accent and can think of better ways to do it, but I have no idea what the actress is going for so I can't say if she's doing a bad job. Do we know what accent she's going for? For all we know she could be doing a bang up job at an accent you're just unfamiliar with.

GigaPeon posted:

Didn't they start that poo poo though?

IMO, if you "steal" a dragon, I'm pretty sure the dragon would let you know pretty quickly.

Yeah and that's lovely and they shouldn't have done that. It still doesn't justify murder.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

What nation should she have picked? Or language, rather, because it's not like accents come from the water. It's a fictional world, wouldn't it be weird if she spoke with a distinct, perfect Russian accent or whatever?

I don't get this criticism. You can not like it, sure, but it can't really be inaccurate, right? I don't like the accent and can think of better ways to do it, but I have no idea what the actress is going for so I can't say if she's doing a bad job. Do we know what accent she's going for? For all we know she could be doing a bang up job at an accent you're just unfamiliar with.

Yeah and that's lovely and they shouldn't have done that. It still doesn't justify murder.

It can absolutely be “inaccurate” if it’s inconsistent, which it is.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:lol:
https://twitter.com/ryrynoel/status/1581847126279348225

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 17, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Starks posted:

It can absolutely be “inaccurate” if it’s inconsistent, which it is.

How so?

I've been keeping track and she seems to have a consistent phoneme inventory. What sounds is she inconsistent with?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I thought she might be trying to have the same accent as Shae had at first but it sounds different. It's definitely distracting.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mizuno isn't high enough on the call sheet to be inventing direction. 100% directorial/producer decision

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

She would've had a dialect coach for it. I imagine it's a combination of accents to sound foreign to all ears, like the Harfoot accent in RoP was not quite Irish.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dragon scene was awesome, any weird bits of logic are more than excused by the shock and awe of seeing that thing burst out of the ground.

Vegetable posted:

2. Foot fetish scene, eh. That seemed like something D&D might have inserted in the desperate late seasons. It does not resonate with the righteous, upstanding characterization of Alicent. It felt abrupt and unnecessary. Like an HBO exec complained that there wasn’t enough sex and they wildly overcorrected.

Yeah lol, this felt like the first bit of this show that had the awkward D&D vibe from the previous show.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
The episode just aired.

Stupid arguments usually don't start until around Wednesday-Thursday.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

How so?

I've been keeping track and she seems to have a consistent phoneme inventory. What sounds is she inconsistent with?

Did you actually check this across episodes because I’m not going to. it just sounds wrong to my ears

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

Dragon scene was awesome, any weird bits of logic are more than excused by the shock and awe of seeing that thing burst out of the ground.

Yeah I loved it. Long live the Queen who never was.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

”Xiahou Dun" posted:

No, it wouldn’t be weird, or at least not any weirder than everyone else on the show speaking with standard British accents. A straight-up Russian accent, or Jamaican or Portuguese or literally anything would be better than the vague “exotic” thing she’s got going on now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Starks posted:

Did you actually check this across episodes because I’m not going to. it just sounds wrong to my ears

Not like in a spreadsheet, but I'm a linguist and it's an accent so I pay attention. She's got a really complicated relationship with sibilants but it doesn't seem to be random at least and she's got really consistent prosody.

And again, I'm not a big fan but that's for like, art/presentation reasons and not execution. I think it's a dumb idea but I don't see a problem in how it's being done, if you get what I mean.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
lol i think mysaria is fine. her job is to sound foreign, she sounds foreign af.

at least she doesnt sound irish

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The music in this ep gave me strong GOT s6e10 vibes so I was really expecting half the cast to get toasted.

what if her accent is just her bullshitting because she's a spymaster?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i support her and her accent and i hope she didn't die in the fire :tipshat:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am a dumbass, I know. What is the deal with them dropping these little colored balls into these dishes when at the council table?

At first I thought it was a “speaking pillow” kind of thing but now it seems they have to drop them in there when they sit down?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

MrMojok posted:

I am a dumbass, I know. What is the deal with them dropping these little colored balls into these dishes when at the council table?

At first I thought it was a “speaking pillow” kind of thing but now it seems they have to drop them in there when they sit down?

Safeguard against shapeshifters. They know it's the real person if they got the ball.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

They’re medieval fidget spinners to help deal with boring meetings.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/house-dragon-small-council-balls-explained-1235202056/

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Pretty good episode. Some weird and/or bad moments (that feet poo poo got weird). I just wanna mention, the pacing of the first 15 minutes was incredible. It was just hit after hit after hit, interrupted by 30-60 second scenes. Then it slowed down.

As far as Rhaenys: I loved her exposition. Ya'll denied me once, twice, threes times, you locked me in a room, you threatened me, people are loyal to me, even still, and yet you deny me. I saw it all from the sidelines. I will come for you. But I can't kill you yet, because despite everything, I'm still not powerful enough, and I recognize that. She really should have been Queen. .

It was a really good episode. I figured things would have kicked off full on in this episode, but this whole seasons pacing is weird.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
It makes me sad people want Alicent to burn. She’s a pretty tragic character who as Rhaeneys rightly pointed out has been manipulated by men all her life.

Also is the foot fetish in the book?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Really a tragic role and she is performing it very well. I hope she gets at least an Emmy nod for this. Maybe not a win, but she is killing it.