Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Why did they let me have this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stormblood and post Stormblood MSQ down. Now it's time to punch the light, or the shadow, or like...I dunno, whoever else decides to come back into the story all willy nilly.

Starting to doubt the lethality of my fists, here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
e: wrong xiv thread

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Shinjobi posted:

Stormblood and post Stormblood MSQ down. Now it's time to punch the light, or the shadow, or like...I dunno, whoever else decides to come back into the story all willy nilly.

I strongly recommend the Stormblood raids and especially the 'Four Lords' trials and dungeons you unlock, starting from the Hell's Lid optional dungeon, if you haven't done them already. Leads to some very impressive fights that play with boss mechanics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To this day I have no idea how I cleared one of the Four Lords fights. I did it twice, didn't clear the first time, did it again and I died halfway through and nobody raised me so I didn't quite get to see the rest of the fight.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Another fun benefit of doing the Four Lords trial series is that it can give you more dialog options in holiday events and some other places any time you meet a talking animal

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The best part of doing Four Lords is dunking on Alphinaud for the rest of his life about a sword.

Also the fights are kickin' rad.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Four Lords has great stuff with Tataru. Do the Four Lords

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shinjobi posted:

If they don't dissipate into a cloud of darkness or sparkles, they ain't dead.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Had a great Copperbell Mine run. This comment by our healer I think says it best: "This is the best most cursed copperbell mine run I've ever seen."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Raenir Salazar posted:

Had a great Copperbell Mine run. This comment by our healer I think says it best: "This is the best most cursed copperbell mine run I've ever seen."

:justpost:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's saying something if that guy has seen old copperbell mine even once

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I only noticed a couple of things, mainly that the tank had pulled maybe a bit too hard and we wiped; I think what had happened was a combination of two things; (1) some of the mobs de-aggro, which I think made the tank go deeper, until the mobs stopped de-aggro'ing? (2) And I think maybe was just slightly out of range of our healer.

After that I started to cheekily cast Physick on the tank, because you know, gotta be safe and protect the tank! :sun:

At one point the tank stopped for a moment, and seemed to be pondering something and he realizes/informs us that the reason why it was going slow was because his equipment was broken! :ohdear:

Eventually he also notices I've also been healing him (as a Summoner) and he was like, "Wait that was you!? I was so confused for the longest time!" (When the healer also realizes this he joins in on healing the tank at non-combat times too)

Probably nothing all that cursed but we were having fun. I got two commendations! :)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, yeah, I've seen the Copperbell mob de-aggro thing hit groups hard, because a lot of tanks will overestimate how many mobs will drop off of them while running and end up with much bigger pulls than they expect. You can effectively outrun a lot of those early mobs and get them to de-aggro you, but it's a risky game, especially if the healer isn't keeping up. A lot of people write off trash at those levels, but between the limited player toolkit and how much a lot of the ARR dungeons will let you overpull, trying stupid tank tricks can be really dangerous.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The actual level of you as a tank will influence how well these pulls will go. Due to the unlocking feature of role skills it's very possible to go into the initial dungeons with only a single defensive cooldown (rampart) which is a huge difference to syncing down to two or three (reprisal, arm's length).

And whether you're the only one with AoE or if there's one or two DPS with it (THM/BLM, RDM or one of the ranged classes and jobs) and whether some mobs die on the move.

I recently ran a Copperbell on some melee (single target everything :toot:) and the tank was trying to run all the way to the first exploding rock, and finally died there. It wasn't inevitable but the healer got caught off-guard and probably lagged behind at first, and then made the usual mistake of trying to slow raise the tank while mobs ate everyone else in the meantime. I think it's a good idea to announce these plans if you have any doubt the healer, especially, is ready for it.

orcane fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 17, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

orcane posted:

The actual level of you as a tank will influence how well these pulls will go. Due to the unlocking feature of role skills it's very possible to go into the initial dungeons with only a single defensive cooldown (rampart) which is a huge difference to syncing down to two or three (reprisal, arm's length).

It's kind of weird how you don't lose role actions when you sync down. (And then it's more or less irrelevant except for tanks, since everyone else's role actions are pretty niche, although having Peloton in early dungeons is nice)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The tank having aoe is sufficient alone at low level dungeons

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's kind of weird how you don't lose role actions when you sync down. (And then it's more or less irrelevant except for tanks, since everyone else's role actions are pretty niche, although having Peloton in early dungeons is nice)

almost like they should do this for all actions

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

almost like they should do this for all actions

This would make balancing any lower level dungeon really difficult since you can't account for if the group are all synced down level 90s or fresh level 20s or whatever. It's fine how it is.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think every job should have a complete kit at level 50 and it should just be potency upgrades after that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

I think every job should have a complete kit at level 50 and it should just be potency upgrades after that

That would be boring imo. Make it like Monk where the kit feels complete at level 50, but there's still room to add on.

Like level 50 summoner would feel a lot better if Aether Trance made Ruin instacast.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Monk absolutely does not feel feature complete at 50 anymore. The job revolves around Masterful Blitz and you don't get that until 60.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

Monk absolutely does not feel feature complete at 50 anymore. The job revolves around Masterful Blitz and you don't get that until 60.

Maybe I'm thinking of Ninja then?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ninja is total poo poo at 50 because you don't have Armour Crush so you have to waste a mudra on huton every time

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't particularly agree with the last part but do agree with the first. Bard only has two songs at level 50 which is absolute garbage, to include another example to what's already been mentioned.

There's so much content that syncs you to 50 that job playability at that level should be addressed; there's the three MSQ roulette duties, the most likely alliance raid roulette duties, up to 12 trials based on unlocks, and however many post-ARR dungeons there are.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Some jobs are technically toolkit complete at lvl 50, but they are missing qol features that they’d be getting at later levels. Summoner practically has its basic rotation by lvl 30 and everything after is speeding it up or adding more to it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It could be boring if we never/rarely got new skills after level 50 in a level 90 game, but FFXIV doesn't lock us down to a single class per character so if you get bored you can always just play something else for a bit.

What's really boring is having to use a limited skillset for hundreds of hours and ~80% of available dungeon/group content. It's not like the dungeons were designed for those available skills, either, as most jobs have changed repeatedly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Qwertycoatl posted:

Ninja is total poo poo at 50 because you don't have Armour Crush so you have to waste a mudra on huton every time

I never had a problem with it, granted I tend to forget about it until the party reaches the next boss.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's less egregious in dungeons because there's so much downtime it's easy to refresh.

Trials or raids low level is worse.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

iPodschun posted:

I don't particularly agree with the last part but do agree with the first. Bard only has two songs at level 50 which is absolute garbage, to include another example to what's already been mentioned.

There's so much content that syncs you to 50 that job playability at that level should be addressed; there's the three MSQ roulette duties, the most likely alliance raid roulette duties, up to 12 trials based on unlocks, and however many post-ARR dungeons there are.

It's come up a couple of times and everybody puts the marker in different places, but generally somewhere between 50 and 70 is when jobs are complete enough that you can really feel the shape of them. It would be nice if they could figure out what each job needed for that and got them to hit it at 50. All three bard songs, the full Dragoon combo chain, move some of Warrior's self-heals lower, not a full toolkit but the basic skeleton that other stuff fits around.

It would be a lot of WORK and some people would find things to complain about, but it would be nice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bruceski posted:

It's come up a couple of times and everybody puts the marker in different places, but generally somewhere between 50 and 70 is when jobs are complete enough that you can really feel the shape of them. It would be nice if they could figure out what each job needed for that and got them to hit it at 50. All three bard songs, the full Dragoon combo chain, move some of Warrior's self-heals lower, not a full toolkit but the basic skeleton that other stuff fits around.

It would be a lot of WORK and some people would find things to complain about, but it would be nice.

Paladin should have at least some spellcasting at/before 50. Loads of PLD NPCs have it (even Bruce the level 10 Gladiator can heal).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My personal list of the level when jobs feel good to play/relatively complete/has an identity. A lot of this is pretty game feel based and others might have different ideas of when jobs feel better.

Tanks:
PLD: 68, Requiescat
WAR: 70, Inner Release
DRK: 70, The Blackest Night. It's actually pretty ok in non-dungeon content from level 40 (Edge of Darkness) on, but your dungeon mitigation really feels bad before TBN
GNB: 70, Continuation

Healers:
WHM: 56, Assize. You could also argue 45 for Holy or 76 for Afflatus Rapture (and Afflatus Misery two levels before that)
SCH: 52, Indomitability
AST: 50, various card related abilities. I think 60 for Celestial Opposition or 62 for Earthly Star are valid, but GCD healing feels a bit less bad on AST than the other healers for some reason
SGE: 52, Ixochole

Melee:
MNK: 60, Masterful Blitz
DRG: 64, Lance Mastery, the trait that allows you to have a 5 hit combo
NIN: 54, Armor Crush
SAM: 62, Kenki Mastery II. I think you could argue 50 for Midare, but I think the additional Kenki gain massively increases the pace of the job and feels much better
RPR: 80, Enshroud

Phys Ranged:
BRD: 52, The Wanderer's Minuet. It's been 5 years since they redesigned Bard to revolve around 3 songs and it's ridiculous that the third is still not available at 50
MCH: 58, Drill. You could also say 50 for Ricochet, but I feel like tracking cooldowns is more core to MCH's play than Hypercharge.
DNC: Honestly kinda hard to pin down. I want to say 45 for Bloodshower, the last of the proc GCDs, but I think 60 for Closed Position (which is more class identity than gameplay) or 70 for Technical Step are also valid

Casters:
BLM: 60, Fire IV. BLM gets a ton of QoL stuff later though, so I could see someone really hating to play without Triple Cast or Xenoglossy or whatever.
SMN: Comedy option: 26 for Outburst and summon Outburst. Funnier comedy option: 86 for Astral Flow in gem summons. In truth it's probably 58 for Dreadwyrm Trance and its instant cast not-Ruins.
RDM: 50 for the third hit of your melee combo and Accelerate in non-dungeons, 52 for Moulinet in dungeons. 64 for Verraise is also applicable, we've all been in a lowish level dungeon where the healer died and the Red Mage has to inform the party that they don't have a raise at this level

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the game needs a hatless update. I've been saying this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vitamean posted:

the game needs a hatless update. I've been saying this

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm okay with GNB before Continuation because you still have resource spenders for a burst phase. Missing the gap closer (56) feels worse and there's just a load of junk between that and 70.

WHM is fine after Regen at 35.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WHM feels so bad before you get an instant heal as a person who mainly heals as AST

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

All I really think SMN needs is more button art for its low-level gem actions

Having buttons that turn into looking like your basic attacks, just with different names and a border, ends up hella confusing on a first look

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arist posted:

WHM feels so bad before you get an instant heal as a person who mainly heals as AST

Swiftcast does in a pinch. I don't do a lot of healing admittedly.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arist posted:

It's mostly this but also partially that WHM's MP economy is pretty dire before Assize. It mostly doesn't matter for stuff of that level but you really feel it when you have an undergeared tank pulling all of Snowcloak or you have more than two deaths on the final boss of ARR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

WrightOfWay posted:

It's mostly this but also partially that WHM's MP economy is pretty dire before Assize. It mostly doesn't matter for stuff of that level but you really feel it when you have an undergeared tank pulling all of Snowcloak or you have more than two deaths on the final boss of ARR.

I've found WHM's MP works fine so long as you're hitting your Lucid Dreaming cooldowns and only using Cure II when it's absolutely necessary. It's really easy to run out if all you're doing is standing in the middle of the group spamming Medica, which is why you should not be doing that.