Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

in my experience enemies reacting to suppression was more of a make-believe suggestion than a mechanic.

I found that my performance in a different game was also worse after upgrading to the latest geforce drivers, so those drivers being bad in general is probably true.

Maybe different weapons or weapon stats will have an affect on it. Like what the hell does the "collateral" stat on an SMG do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Welp.

Can confirm (for second time now) all psyker party not really viable.

Also as the VT2 DLC repeatedly showed. Everyone wants to play the new hotness when a new subclass is released. Which wasn't a massive problem as you couldn't have multiple instances of the same character in VT2.

But that's not true in Darktide, so if they release new subclasses one at a time.......well that could be an issue.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Orv posted:

They seem to not care if there's not AI pathing designated cover nearby, which isn't ideal.

I don't think i've ever seen this in action and when they went to cover they clip like mother fuckers so you can't shoot them unless you charged around the corner.

My gripe is this was supposed to be a shooting game where you'd only melee when forced too but because this is basically VT2 no ones standing still and having ranged battles you're moving together constantly as a murder ball meaning you really shouldn't have a ranged weapon out. They even kept the disabler specials to discourage staying behind and shooting. If you did necromunda then yeah this system could work but as is i'm betting there's gonna be a massive backlash with the vast majority of players thinking you'd be shooting most of the time when in fact you'll be in melee.

They could fix this somewhat by making the lasgun the swiftbow and having your melee weapon be hipfire with a bayonet with the other option being a long las(a 40k sniper rifle) that used the handgun profile. The autogun is in a good place same with the shotguns and ogryn weapons because you expect those player classes to favor melee. This isn't VT2 where it's melee first and ranged secondary to the point you get punished for being too ranged heavy and if the devs don't address it you'll have a gloried VT2 mod with a tiny niche player base.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arghy posted:

I don't think i've ever seen this in action and when they went to cover they clip like mother fuckers so you can't shoot them unless you charged around the corner.

My gripe is this was supposed to be a shooting game where you'd only melee when forced too but because this is basically VT2 no ones standing still and having ranged battles you're moving together constantly as a murder ball meaning you really shouldn't have a ranged weapon out. They even kept the disabler specials to discourage staying behind and shooting. If you did necromunda then yeah this system could work but as is i'm betting there's gonna be a massive backlash with the vast majority of players thinking you'd be shooting most of the time when in fact you'll be in melee.

They could fix this somewhat by making the lasgun the swiftbow and having your melee weapon be hipfire with a bayonet with the other option being a long las(a 40k sniper rifle) that used the handgun profile. The autogun is in a good place same with the shotguns and ogryn weapons because you expect those player classes to favor melee. This isn't VT2 where it's melee first and ranged secondary to the point you get punished for being too ranged heavy and if the devs don't address it you'll have a gloried VT2 mod with a tiny niche player base.

Yeah I dunno what you're smoking that you think this game was gonna be anything but what it is here. This was always going to have heavy melee gameplay, it's a Vermintide spinoff.

More shooting? Yeah. A shooter? No.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 16, 2022

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
This game looks fun and fine from the streams Ive seen but Ill admit to wishing it had a few mor flashy psykers / powers or whatnot

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arghy posted:

They’ve been very candid about showing a mix of shooting and melee, and that it’s built on the VT2 engine which ofc is heavily tuned around melee combat. I really have no idea where you’re getting “it was supposed to be a shooting game” except your own head.

Anyway I shot all a Traitor Guardsman’s limbs off from 100 feet away with a shotgun today.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Psyker saying the quiet part out loud.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Deptfordx posted:

all psyker party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Tj_l4PcPs

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This game looks much better with all the raytracing and reflections on. I was playing maxed out and lost track of one of my teammates. I found him when I could see the glow of his lasgun lighting up a corridor ahead and it looked awesome. Shafts of light diffusing through walkways or reflecting off floors and walls look great too. This came at a huge framerate cost, so I hope they can improve the performance.

I hope the full game levels have much more variety. A hive isn't just a giant furnace, people live there. There are city streets, housing, bars, marketplaces, space ports, agricultural areas where the food is grown, palaces, cathedrals, schools, entertainment districts, etc. The very rich have luxurious neighborhoods. Most of a hive is above ground so the outer rings have outdoor portions, windows, balconies, etc. It's not all industrial scrap metal hallways.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 17, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011
It seems unlikely that the giant 40K nerds at Fatshark would make that mistake. VT2 had groups of levels in each of its locales and I’d expect the same here. Is an odd choice to only have one locale in this beta but I suppose Fatshark has more faith in gamers contextual understanding than they should.

Or put another way, Fatshark is dumb but not quite that dumb. If you look at the skyboxes in the levels in the beta it’s pretty clear they get it. The area where you load the ammo has a great skybox with tons of 40K gothic poo poo and stained glass.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 17, 2022

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I presume based on the concept art all these missions are pretty much from the same section of the hive (two of them are dealing with the manufacturing of Leman Russes) and we're going to see a variety of stuff throughout.

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1565761739492401153

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1557079431105155072

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1555599826250776577

And here's one that we can compare directly to the version in the beta.

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1566863850917531652

for the people who haven't seen this yet

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was really hoping they'd change up the tome/grim mechanic in this one. Please at least tell me they drop randomly or something and we don't have to memorize the locations again. Probably the only part of Vermintide that I don't enjoy.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I bought and played VT2 when it came out but it was pretty buggy. Is it good now? I tried this beta the other day and it kind of made me want to give it a go again but it was a little clunky in parts like I remember VT2 being.

Orv
May 4, 2011
VT2 is very good now. People get weird about harder difficulty stuff and there have been some Fatshark decisions over the years that hardcore players were not happy with but if you just wanna casually smash some rats it owns.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Easily one of my favorite games.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
fwiw all my technical difficulties with the beta (and i did have many) were solved by putting it on an SSD and verifying game files

i'm not a fan that it seems to be expected with modern games that you have an ssd, but i guess that's just how things are now

Diephoon posted:

Maybe different weapons or weapon stats will have an affect on it. Like what the hell does the "collateral" stat on an SMG do.

it seems like the smg bullets occasionally explode so i would assume it controls how often the bullets explode

(they definitely need explainers on these stats tho)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 17, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

President Ark posted:

fwiw all my technical difficulties with the beta (and i did have many) were solved by putting it on an SSD and verifying game files

i'm not a fan that it seems to be expected with modern games that you have an ssd, but i guess that's just how things are now

I don't see why that wouldn't be expected. They're probably the cheapest performance/$ you can buy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I only have an ssd so

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I bought and played VT2 when it came out but it was pretty buggy. Is it good now? I tried this beta the other day and it kind of made me want to give it a go again but it was a little clunky in parts like I remember VT2 being.

very good but still buggy

it's rare but i still run into the bug where a player will step wrong on some level geometry or something and just instantly die lmao

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, the bugs in VT2 have been reduced probably by the most of any game I've ever seen start out badly buggy but that still means that occasionally you'll get pulled into a wall by a pack-rat or a rat ogre will charge you into the next dimension.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Pharmaskittle posted:

yeah l4d was one of my favorite games but I suspect you'd see it differently if you went back and played it in 2022

yes actually it has gotten way more impressive now that i know about all the small stuff the game did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRLNUGmFC8

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well, I won't get the chance to play the beta any more before it goes, but I had a blast except for the times I was trying to get into a difficulty 3 mission and kept getting placed with level 4/5/6 players who obviously shouldn't have been there.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Hot take I know, but the sound track is boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZX7B582Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR7GthvQW10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXcpiIIBI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIX2FWZ_Q8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW9kYl31mdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTyVp9OZqOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWAvIVqYUbc

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Okay so impressions for people who didn't play it.

Stability: Game has a fair amount of jank. Overall, I think it was pretty okay compared to where VT2 was at around the same point in development but there were enough problems overall where I'd say maybe wait for the first few brave idiots to report back before you buy the game. Some examples of obvious jank: turning a corner and seeing a hoard not only spawn in, but get to their feet all at once. Keybinds being reset. Constant disconnects. We have no idea what kind of non-obvious jank might exist - talents that don't work, weapons that don't do what they're supposed to, etc. Again, nothing that would make me write off the game but given Fatshark's... history... with bugs (for instance, accidentally not noticing that their live version of the game had forked from their internal testing version) maybe give it a few weeks.

There are also reports of wildly different performance thresholds for different people. Again, wait to see if this is a serious problem.

Gameplay: Divisive. I had a great time but not everybody agrees. Weapons feel good, sound and soundtrack are awesome, game is very difficult even with a lot of experience with this kind of game, I could definitely replay some of these levels. You'll also hear precisely the opposite from others. My easiest point of comparison is VT2, for obvious reasons. It it's core the game is very much VT2 with ranged combat added and that spices things up a lot more than you'd think. The addition of ranged enemies (and strong ones; ranged enemies can really hurt if you aren't careful) stops the game from being a slow progression forward and instead alters it to a more cover-driven game where you have to think tactically about who is going to charge the enemy and when because you can't just brainlessly hurl yourself at badguys.

Moment to moment I found the major differences to be that it's hard to be a hero in this game than it is in VT and there's less focus on deleting specials (more on that in a moment). Oh also items are much stingier and blander. Because grenades are decided by your class, there's only one possible grenade for you to pick up. Health and ammo kits are rare so deciding who carries what is less important than you'd think, you're lucky to have one deployable between you most of the time. This game can surprise you with groups much better than VT2 can, whereas in VT2 the difficulty comes more from bad combinations of specials showing up at the same time.

Special design leaves something to be desired. The mutant is very obvious, as are the hounds, but the various special gunners and melee elites, and the trapper, and the flamer, are generally indistinguishable from the hoard until they are on top of you. Combined with dark levels, and you have a pretty hard time stopping them before they get to you. The trapper, mutant, and hound are all disablers, so they only real way to deal with them effectively is to kill them before they get to you. As for the others, I'm willing to say maybe this is a deliberate design choice, allowing elites to pepper into a normal spawn so you can't see them until it's too late, but if that's the case they're deliberately removing some of the tension that exists in VT2 where you're constantly splitting your attention between hoard and specials in favor of only dealing with what you can see.

Characters: Again, divisive. There's no denying that the VT2 characters had a lot of personality and that their interplay was part of what made that game interesting, there were so many memorable lines and exchanges. This game has that too, but it's odd what combinations seem to trigger them. Because of the way those combinations work you'll probably hear your character say the occasional funny or interesting thing and remember it but you are less likely to remember the exchanges of others.

Character design is pretty bland. The Ogryn and the Zealot serve a nearly identical role, at least at lower levels, and one of the things that really gave VT2 staying power was variety - the ability to try out new weapons with new classes and experiment with different builds. None of the talents currently available in the beta felt very... meaty? Like overall they probably make a difference but I don't feel like any of them are major game changers. Like at Tier 1 for Zealot you pick between three talents that all regenerate your shield in slightly different ways, none of which are particularly interesting, since all of them involve killing enemies. You could say one or another is more 'melee focused' or 'ranged focused' or whatever but it's mostly just guesswork that amounts to the same thing. Hopefully we'll see bolder designs but again I'm not crazy hopeful about that.

Levels: I really like the levels. I do feel like there are a lot of gray hallways but the subtle horror of being in a close environment with a lot of dangerous monsters is sort of what I'm here for. This is probably where you'll see the most pushback from VT2 players because the level design in VT2 is pretty varied. Obviously we don't know anything about the levels they didn't show us but I also believe in taking a company at face value. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by this. The events feel interesting and I like the end of level designs, I think they're neat.

Okay that's basically my review at this point. If you liked VT2 ask yourself what you liked about it because whether or not you get this game is going to kind of depend on that. Also it's pretty janky in really obvious ways about a month out so maybe give it a week or two before you buy it.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 17, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I tried everything I could think of to make this not run like poo poo, including trying each of the 3 latest geforce drivers, disabling the hidden RTX settings in user_settings.config, minimum graphics settings, vsync on/off, and switching windowed/fullscreen. None of these stopped FPS from constantly swinging and routinely dropping to ~30 at 1080p on a GTX 1080 and i7-8700. I did my best to treat this in good faith and evaluate it in conditions where performance wouldn't be coloring my perceptions of everything, but it just wouldn't cooperate, so all I can say is that this beta categorically felt like garbage and did nothing to change my confusion about the level of hype this has been getting. oh well!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
My review:-

Had a wonderful time, loved it, graphics awesome, music is godlike, gameplay is fun, hope the stability and crashing is fixed before launch, but the game overall works like a dream on my GTX 970, hope weapon variety is increased.

9/10

I’m all in, Pre-ordered the Imperial Edition like a good little guardsman.

I haven’t played VT 1 or 2 so I don’t feel the sting of difference or reference point from there.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

My review:-

Had a wonderful time, loved it, graphics awesome, music is godlike, gameplay is fun, hope the stability and crashing is fixed before launch, but the game overall works like a dream on my GTX 970, hope weapon variety is increased.

9/10

I’m all in, Pre-ordered the Imperial Edition like a good little guardsman.

I haven’t played VT 1 or 2 so I don’t feel the sting of difference or reference point from there.

Same, I really enjoyed it. The last coop PvE game I played was (the very good) Deep Rock Galactic. This scratches that itch for a grimdark smashy/shootymans.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I tried everything I could think of to make this not run like poo poo, including trying each of the 3 latest geforce drivers, disabling the hidden RTX settings in user_settings.config, minimum graphics settings, vsync on/off, and switching windowed/fullscreen. None of these stopped FPS from constantly swinging and routinely dropping to ~30 at 1080p on a GTX 1080 and i7-8700. I did my best to treat this in good faith and evaluate it in conditions where performance wouldn't be coloring my perceptions of everything, but it just wouldn't cooperate, so all I can say is that this beta categorically felt like garbage and did nothing to change my confusion about the level of hype this has been getting. oh well!

Did you try turning it off and on again?

Really though my performance was also pretty fraught and I had a goddamn endless crashing problem but still had a really good time despite that. It’s a definite concern and not one I entirely expect to be fixed to be honest.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
With a 3070 and a Ryzen 5 3600 I was eating serious poo poo in terms of performance at the beginning. Eventually settled on Automatic DLSS with low presets on everything, and over time, the more I played the game, performance steadily got better. I felt like the same thing happened with Elden Ring earlier this year, I don't have knowledge of the technical bullshit but it's got something to do with shader caches or whatever the gently caress; whatever it is, basically the more you play the game the better performance gets in general since your system works less to get everything going. Feel free to correct me on the particulars, but it is what it is.

That said, I still get FPS issues when Too Much poo poo is going on; I deffo think the game still needs an optimization pass. Still pre-ordering it though, had a hell of a time even with this test being primarily a technical stress test.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wow I was chatting online with people about how cool the boss fight in the game with the Chaos Captain was, and apparently that boss comes in with randomized weapons! sometimes he'll come in with a sword, Axe, Shotgun, plasma pistol combo, that's a really great idea to make boss fights different every time!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, even has random names. I imagine we might get dudes like him as random bosses like the Plague Ogryn.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Game is good, really good and I'm gonna buy it :colbert:

I think the criticisms that Ogryn and Zealot play very similarly is probably true, I think the zealot probably relies more on team buffs and aura but functionally this doesn't matter too much. To me the two classes that really shine for the team is the Psyker and Veteran, but provide invaluable ranged support together but they don't really work in duplicate. Two veterans works better than two psykers imo, but they still overlap a bunch on their roles. Having two melee specialists is absolutely critical though.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I wish you could change characters when a matchmaking group is formed. My partner plays psyker and I feel a veteran and either of the last two is best to cover weaknesses. We'd generally get duplicates and be missing one. It took until our final run for the weekend to finally get a group with one of each class. As fun as it is to get a three ogryn group...

I constantly waffle on who to main first when it goes live. Nothing new for me though I just like playing a bit of everything. Which sucked in VT2 since account gear seemed to be gated by your highest level so it was better to focus at least one to cap first.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

bagrada posted:

I wish you could change characters when a matchmaking group is formed. My partner plays psyker and I feel a veteran and either of the last two is best to cover weaknesses. We'd generally get duplicates and be missing one. It took until our final run for the weekend to finally get a group with one of each class. As fun as it is to get a three ogryn group...

I constantly waffle on who to main first when it goes live. Nothing new for me though I just like playing a bit of everything. Which sucked in VT2 since account gear seemed to be gated by your highest level so it was better to focus at least one to cap first.

It's very strange that each character you create might as well be a completely different account the way the game treats them. No currencies carry over and (probably a bug) crafting materials picked up in missions don't get shared with the party.

It's an odd step back from Vermintide where the only character based progression was their level and class specific weapons and armor, trinkets were a quick way to increase your item level on a new character.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m firmly settled into Zealot first. An escape that heals your toughness, shotguns, thunder hammers eventually and ridiculously over the top lines? Sign me up.

I hope the flamer’s good too. I really enjoyed the drakegun in VT2 for clearing out hordes while the rest of the team dealt with something.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

i7 7700k and RTX3070 here and it ran like absolute dogshit. Tried newest drivers, older drivers, DLSS on, dlss off, worker threads down or up, etc. In the end I had to play with low/medium settings and all lighting to minimal and I still barely can keep a regular 60FPS at 1080P. Vermintide 2 doesn't run great either (CPU bottleneck) but not as bad as this. I would crash once or twice every 30 minutes or so too.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jesper Kyd's idea of adding a small hosed up broken untuned violin section in the middle of the boss fight song is just *Chefs Kiss*

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

It's very strange that each character you create might as well be a completely different account the way the game treats them. No currencies carry over and (probably a bug) crafting materials picked up in missions don't get shared with the party.

It's an odd step back from Vermintide where the only character based progression was their level and class specific weapons and armor, trinkets were a quick way to increase your item level on a new character.

crafting materials in missions get shared with the party. credit for picking up crafting materials contracts is not shared, however.

the tokens you get from contracts do seem to be shared among all of your characters, also.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

wow I was chatting online with people about how cool the boss fight in the game with the Chaos Captain was, and apparently that boss comes in with randomized weapons! sometimes he'll come in with a sword, Axe, Shotgun, plasma pistol combo, that's a really great idea to make boss fights different every time!

The plasma pistol is a loving menace honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Not mine

https://i.imgur.com/cFhf5bt.mp4