Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RevKrule posted:

What spooky comics are people reading for the season?

Elliot Kalan’s Maniac of New York seems like it would be a good fit if you like slashers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Maniac of new york sucks

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mr Hootington posted:

Maniac of new york sucks

What’s your thoughts on Night of the Living Cat then

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Haven't read it

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hill House Comics (Joe Hill's imprint at DC) had some solid horror stories. I didn't read all of them but Basket full of heads is a fun 80s style slasher and Daphne Byrne has awesome Kelley Jones art. Also Doll House Family was pretty good horror too.

Infidel is a solid haunted building horror story about a building that feeds on people's racist hatred.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/KimJungGiUS/status/1577583009783431169

Just devastating. I just saw him at SDCC. What a loving loss.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What about El Bottomo?

This got a hearty laugh from me

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Maniac of new york sucks

COunterpoint: Maniac of New York rules.

I just read the second collection last week and, again, it's the epitome of the good 80's slasher movie. If you don't know the series, the premise is: What if in Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason was never defeated and also never left and now he's just like the weather for New Yorkers?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked American Vampire.

I haven't read it in a decade or so but I've listened to the audiobook and watched the Netflix series more recently and the first couple arcs of Sandman are great horror.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today I met Geoff Johns at a signing event at a local comic shop. You had to pay for his signatures, but I brought my two Booster Gold trade paperbacks (already signed by Dan Jurgens) and my four 52 trade paperbacks (already signed by Greg Rucka and Keith Giffen). He was tickled to see those other signatures, and he was a very warm and engaging guy.

I am toying with the idea of flying to Baltimore Comic Con at the end of October, just for the Friday and back home that night. Bendis, Mark Waid, John Cassaday, and Klaus Janson are the main guests I want to meet and get books signed by, but it is an all-star roster in general:
https://baltimorecomiccon.com/guests/

I've already met King, Gerads, Chaykin, Maguire, Garcia-Lopez, Nicieza, Piskor, McKone, McLeod, Hamner, Hall, Dodson, and Beatty at other cons over the years, but I have no doubt I have other books I haven't bugged Kevin Maguire to sign yet.

Unfortunately, Jim Lee is charging $60 for ONE signature, and you have to pay in advance. Frank Miller will only be there on the Saturday, and he charges $100 for ONE signature!

Is anyone else planning to attend, or has attended Baltimore before?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been in the past. It's pretty low-key, though they do bring in some good talent. I'd probably go if I wasn't going to be in Italy.

If you do go, try to get over to the Abbey Burger Bistro for a meal. It's close enough to walk, but far enough that most people aren't going to. You know, if you like burgers. If you don't, then don't.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I've been in the past. It's pretty low-key, though they do bring in some good talent. I'd probably go if I wasn't going to be in Italy.

If you do go, try to get over to the Abbey Burger Bistro for a meal. It's close enough to walk, but far enough that most people aren't going to. You know, if you like burgers. If you don't, then don't.

Have fun in Italy!

I've been to Baltimore twice before and enjoyed the city, but this would be my first time attending the con. My favorite restaurant there is Faidley's Seafood in the Lexington Market, which I reviewed on my food blog along with Attman's Deli and Dangerously Delicious Pies.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This video really explores what I like about Chip Zdarsky's writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw0xjH27y5s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At the rate Discovery is going, I wonder if DC comics has much time left.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

It's gonna be weird to see DTW license out the DC characters to different publishers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Boom Comics presents Batman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

The All New Adventures of the Super Sons coming soon from Avatar Press.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Disney’s Batman: Brave and Bold

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Grimm Fairy Tale: Alice in Wonderland vs Constantine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Grimm Fairy Tale: Alice in Wonderland vs Constantine.

that's something that i'd actually see happening

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I've been kind of anticipating it for a while. DC is a small footnote on the WB balance sheet and comics have only had corporate value as IP farms for well over a decade. All it would take is one exec going, "Eh, they're comics. Anybody can come up with that stuff," and they're done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

I've been kind of anticipating it for a while. DC is a small footnote on the WB balance sheet and comics have only had corporate value as IP farms for well over a decade. All it would take is one exec going, "Eh, they're comics. Anybody can come up with that stuff," and they're done.

The already closed up their "new" offices in Burbank back in March after culling a bunch of their staff. From what I understand their new offices are not anywhere close to the level of Burbank, a lot more of a corporate layout, not the fun bullpen type they had before.

The Burbank offices were three stories and basically a DC museum and I was extremely lucky to get a tour 5 years ago.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 12, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Marvel Comics presents Captain Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

Marvel Comics presents Captain Marvel.

yeah but plot twist it's this one

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Have they started filming The Marvel's yet? Just wait a few months and then they can add Billy to that

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It kind of blows my mind that a comic book has a soundtrack and the soundtrack is actually pretty good. Looking at the listing for Dark Knight Death Metal and I am wondering why this soundtrack even exists but I am glad it does.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Madkal posted:

It kind of blows my mind that a comic book has a soundtrack and the soundtrack is actually pretty good. Looking at the listing for Dark Knight Death Metal and I am wondering why this soundtrack even exists but I am glad it does.

The Black Canary comic from 7 years ago had them in a band and two EPs were put out.

https://blackcanary.bandcamp.com/music

Haven't listened to them in forever, but they weren't bad!

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Are there any good Star Wars comics? I remember reading some back in the day about Darth Krayt and others set in the KotOR era, but couldn't tell you if they were decent or not.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tosk posted:

Are there any good Star Wars comics? I remember reading some back in the day about Darth Krayt and others set in the KotOR era, but couldn't tell you if they were decent or not.

I like Tales of the Jedi or whatever it was, and a lot of the post-Disney stuff has been good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Dark Empire was very good bordering on great (large chunks of it were clumsily stolen for The Rise Of Skywalker)

Excellent Cam Kennedy art, and very nice colors.

Seems OOP at the moment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Kieron Gillen would have playlists for a lot of his comics.

Young Avengers
Immortal X-Men
Wicked + Divine

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Leah Williams has been posting a bunch of X-men playlists over the past few months and most of them are hilarious

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gerard Way recorded a single for Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye and sent every comic store a cassette tape of it. Or two copies if your store pretended it didn’t get the first one, so I could get one.

It was also released on a very nice looking vinyl for Record Store Day.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Madkal posted:

It doesn't have a single death metal track and that makes me so so mad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tosk posted:

Yeah the old Tales of The Jedi comics were pretty good

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lencho posted:

It doesn't have a single death metal track and that makes me so so mad.

It doesn't but the talent it does have on it is kind of wild.

edit: Also I think Lemire put a recommended playlist at the back of every issue of Royal City. Also Ostrander put a recommended playlist/comic inspired by the music of.... at the end of Gotham Knights which was printed in the early 90s.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
A lot of the Marvel Star Wars comics are really good. I think all three volumes of Darth Vader have been great-- from Gillen to Soule to Pak-- and Dr. Aphra has also consistently been fun from Gillen to Spurrier to Wong. YMMV a bit more outside of that-- I liked the High Republic stuff, strongly disliked Bounty Hunters-- but I'd vouch for DV and Aphra without many reservations.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Kieron Gillen would have playlists for a lot of his comics.

Young Avengers
Immortal X-Men
Wicked + Divine

You know that old trope of people voting for who they’d have a beer with? I think I’d survive a long car ride with this man, so I dunno. Elect him mayor of something :)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

You know that old trope of people voting for who they’d have a beer with? I think I’d survive a long car ride with this man, so I dunno. Elect him mayor of something :)

I kinda worry he'd explain a lot of the songs to you while they were playing. Like Patrick Bateman and Huey Lewis and the News without the ax murder at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

FMguru posted:

Dark Empire was very good bordering on great (large chunks of it were clumsily stolen for The Rise Of Skywalker)

Excellent Cam Kennedy art, and very nice colors.

Seems OOP at the moment.

The Epic Collection is available: New Republic Vol. 5.