Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

that's the Marshall Ustinov , which is a Russian guided missle cruiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A Festivus Miracle posted:

They have a very distinctive group of missile pods.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Much like the last time I saw it, I look forward to toasting to the Lincoln's descent to whichever coast it eventually gets made a reef into. Or when it gets towed into Brownsville. I'm not picky. 17 yearsish left.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Much like the last time I saw it, I look forward to toasting to the Lincoln's descent to whichever coast it eventually gets made a reef into. Or when it gets towed into Brownsville. I'm not picky. 17 yearsish left.

I will do whatever I have to do to see this happened to the George Washington. Cannot wait to see that bitch go down.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

A Festivus Miracle posted:

This mistake keeps being made over and over again by people who rightly understand that all the spiky weapons and antennas on Soviet-era ships made them look rad as hell.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/APB_Laudrain/status/1582316787894714368?t=h3jRjTihO6-vZKAtmWBAwQ&s=19

I guess setting River City didn't work as well as they hoped

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Madurai posted:

This mistake keeps being made over and over again by people who rightly understand that all the spiky weapons and antennas on Soviet-era ships made them look rad as hell.

:hmmyes:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Topical, what kind of idiot would schedule meetings before lunch. Or do tagouts and waf breifings at 7am? Or prebrief the work at 6am? Or do duty section turnover at 530?

https://twitter.com/calebsaysthings/status/1584418132965277696?t=qdqr4hp_KKBRY30iv86MEg&s=19

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

Topical, what kind of idiot would schedule meetings before lunch. Or do tagouts and waf breifings at 7am? Or prebrief the work at 6am? Or do duty section turnover at 530?

https://twitter.com/calebsaysthings/status/1584418132965277696?t=qdqr4hp_KKBRY30iv86MEg&s=19

This poo poo happens all the time in the DoD because half of the work force are a bunch of loving broke brain retired chiefs. Telling them that no I will not be making the loving 7 am managers meeting brings a smile to my face.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In a better topical, youtuber Physics Girl has gotten her own ICEX submarine video after SmarterEveryDay did his great series, and I assume boosted enlistment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRQSbK4Krg0

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

In a better topical, youtuber Physics Girl has gotten her own ICEX submarine video after SmarterEveryDay did his great series, and I assume boosted enlistment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRQSbK4Krg0

why is the cover image an akula? :lol:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ded posted:

why is the cover image an akula? :lol:

Wait until you get to the "the entire hull is surrounded by a ballast tank" which just screams to me of some A-ganger playing a prank and her just buying it fully. Or misinterpreting the "entire diameter" for "entire length"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

I enjoy arriving after lunch on work days so that I can put in my 8 hours and leave at 8:30pm, a normal thing that people definitely do and is totally acceptable in professional jobs outside the armed forces

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Cerekk posted:

I enjoy arriving after lunch on work days so that I can put in my 8 hours and leave at 8:30pm, a normal thing that people definitely do and is totally acceptable in professional jobs outside the armed forces

if the armed forces taught me anything it's that working hard means you show up at like 6 in the morning and stay until 5 or 6pm but you also have a 2 hour lunch and accomplish about 45 minutes of actual work during that time

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Spare cover, spare keys, skateaway, that's all.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cerekk posted:

I literally do this all the time.

Of course I live in EST and work for a California company so…

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I must be some kind of sicko because I like getting up and going to work early. Of course, the result is I leave around 1ish and have the rest of the afternoon to do whatever.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cerekk posted:

I can recommend you many white collar carreer paths where you can gently caress around and do nothing but answer emails and drink coffee until noon, and in doing so will almost start to feel that you're getting paid enough.

Do your 2 hours of meaningful work a day and everyone signs off at 4pm happy as a idiot

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

maffew buildings posted:

if the armed forces taught me anything it's that working hard means you show up at like 6 in the morning and stay until 5 or 6pm but you also have a 2 hour lunch and accomplish about 45 minutes of actual work during that time

My new job was forcing us to work 12 hour days, usually 5 or 6 days a week for awhile, I was screaming bloody murder about it from the start, and I got told "they're almost all veterans, they should be used to it" yeah motherfucker, that's why they left.

I did just get paid hourly to sit on an airplane/ in an airport drinking beer and browsing SA for 12 hours of domestic travel, so it's still 100,000+ times better than the loving Navy.

Also we were working insane hours because we had insane work to do, not because an Admiral said he might stop by the boat for a quick walk-through sometime in the afternoon so you better clean the engineroom, or because maneuvering was too overwhelmed to let me brief maintenance before noon.

And I'm going to pay for a trip to Norway for my girlfriend, mom and I, and pay my brand new car off with the amount of overtime I made working those crazy hours.

M_Gargantua posted:

0630: immediately after duty section turnover and before the workday has started:

You can brief your maintenance when RC Div is done briefing.

Oops, the CO left, so I can't get permission for you to start.

The CO's back, but I need to eat lunch and do my 1200 tour.

Well, I need to go to night work because my Chief went home early, I'll give you permission to start when I'm back.

Okay, it's 1400, we're ready to roll, how long did you say that would take? 8 hours? Sounds good.

Oh sorry, I have to go to a trainer, LTjg fuckface is taking over for me, but he's a moron and I'm lazy, so you'll have to rebrief him, once that happens you can start, I know you have to get this done this week or we have to send a letter to NAVSEA08, it'll be fine.

Oops, CO left for the day, I don't feel like calling him right now, I'm not even supposed to be standing EDO today, I'll wait until the 2000 re....Petty Officer Elviscat, please stop using that tone of voice and that language with me, it's very disrespectful.

Every. loving. Day. For. Years.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The best part of working in the DoD as a civilian is when captains and admirals or poo poo heel presidents show up I simply don't go into work that day or sit in my cube browsing SA instead of going to a bs all hands. Its ~magical~

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

CO that doesn't delegate his authority to the SDO when he's unreachable = a bad CO

Like that's literally why the SDO exists

But also have you considered being in a rating that doesn't have to get CO permission for their maintenance?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

M_Gargantua posted:

Wait until you get to the "the entire hull is surrounded by a ballast tank" which just screams to me of some A-ganger playing a prank and her just buying it fully. Or misinterpreting the "entire diameter" for "entire length"

Maybe she misunderstood how a pressure hull and outer hull works?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well you see the entire submarine is surrounded by the ballast tank so when you go deeper you actually crush the people tank.

It's just science.

Pretty wild to see what sonar looks like now tho. They are using the same exact cabinets but with flatscreens put on them instead of the old CRTs, and I didn't hear AEW or tons of the super loud cooling fans. I can still hear that poo poo in my head after being out of it over 20yrs. Oh and it looked like they were no longer using a joystick or the touch prasma screens

ded fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 25, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cerekk posted:

CO that doesn't delegate his authority to the SDO when he's unreachable = a bad CO

Like that's literally why the SDO exists

But also have you considered being in a rating that doesn't have to get CO permission for their maintenance?

That's why I switched ratings to CIV.

ded posted:

Pretty wild to see what sonar looks like now tho. They are using the same exact cabinets but with flatscreens put on them instead of the old CRTs, and I didn't hear AEW or tons of the super loud cooling fans. I can still hear that poo poo in my head after being out of it over 20yrs. Oh and it looked like they were no longer using a joystick or the touch prasma screens

If you think that's crazy, and you've never been in Control on a Virginia it'd blow your mind, just the layout improvements that having photonics instead of scopes allows is loving wild. Not to mention how lovely the ER is laid out compared to the cramped shitshow that exists on 88s or the Seawolfs.

The greatest improvement that's happened on subs in the last 20 years (for nukes) is replacing the ESPs on all the sumps with Mist Eliminators though, it's so nice getting off watch after a day of going fast and not having your hair slicked back with 2190.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Elviscat posted:

it's so nice getting off watch after a day of going fast and not having your hair slicked back with 2190.

Post/avatar mismatch :chloe:

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Elviscat posted:

My new job was forcing us to work 12 hour days, usually 5 or 6 days a week for awhile, I was screaming bloody murder about it from the start, and I got told "they're almost all veterans, they should be used to it" yeah motherfucker, that's why they left.

I did just get paid hourly to sit on an airplane/ in an airport drinking beer and browsing SA for 12 hours of domestic travel, so it's still 100,000+ times better than the loving Navy.

Also we were working insane hours because we had insane work to do, not because an Admiral said he might stop by the boat for a quick walk-through sometime in the afternoon so you better clean the engineroom, or because maneuvering was too overwhelmed to let me brief maintenance before noon.

And I'm going to pay for a trip to Norway for my girlfriend, mom and I, and pay my brand new car off with the amount of overtime I made working those crazy hours.

0630: immediately after duty section turnover and before the workday has started:

You can brief your maintenance when RC Div is done briefing.

Oops, the CO left, so I can't get permission for you to start.

The CO's back, but I need to eat lunch and do my 1200 tour.

Well, I need to go to night work because my Chief went home early, I'll give you permission to start when I'm back.

Okay, it's 1400, we're ready to roll, how long did you say that would take? 8 hours? Sounds good.

Oh sorry, I have to go to a trainer, LTjg fuckface is taking over for me, but he's a moron and I'm lazy, so you'll have to rebrief him, once that happens you can start, I know you have to get this done this week or we have to send a letter to NAVSEA08, it'll be fine.

Oops, CO left for the day, I don't feel like calling him right now, I'm not even supposed to be standing EDO today, I'll wait until the 2000 re....Petty Officer Elviscat, please stop using that tone of voice and that language with me, it's very disrespectful.

Every. loving. Day. For. Years.

I hated reading this thanks.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol come on no way that is real life right???

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
You know in your heart it is

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that’s good but it’s a too on the nose.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I got it from a FB group which has nothing to do with the military at all, just entitled mothered- which is hella toxic, but also not nearly clever enough to really make this kinda effort up. It’s mostly sharing of screen caps of poo poo like the above.

I’m inclined to believe it’s real. I met some really loving weird spouses in the early parts of my career in Intelligence. Swingers and Furries were the tame ones. Tripolar dependopotomi still haunt my dreams.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
One of the people I enjoyed working with is getting a command soon, I'm experiencing both pride in them and laughing at the tragedy of good smart people spending their life in the navy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I got it from a FB group which has nothing to do with the military at all, just entitled mothered- which is hella toxic, but also not nearly clever enough to really make this kinda effort up. It’s mostly sharing of screen caps of poo poo like the above.

I’m inclined to believe it’s real. I met some really loving weird spouses in the early parts of my career in Intelligence. Swingers and Furries were the tame ones. Tripolar dependopotomi still haunt my dreams.

I believe every sentence of that story happened just not at the same time and with the same person.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
My wife's cat is sick. He was acting like he had a UTI, and I had to talker her out of paying $150 to get him seen at the local animal ER, and instead wait an hour until our normal Vet opened. He has a blockage in his urethra, AND a significant heart murmur. I should have known better than to let her go in by herself, but we didn't want to disrupt the kids' (and my) lazy day off. So even though we had previously agreed that pets are pets and not family members, she agreed to pay $1,500 for the procedure to ATTEMPT to clear the blockage. He's less than 2 years old but she is like, soul-bonded with this thing. FML.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So even though we had previously agreed that pets are pets and not family members

You're posting in the wrong thread, the idiots thread is over there *points*

Pro post/username combo, btw.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It's 1500 dollars for a two year old cat.

I rag on bad guy all the time for stupid poo poo but his position is reasonable.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

My wife's cat is sick. He was acting like he had a UTI, and I had to talker her out of paying $150 to get him seen at the local animal ER, and instead wait an hour until our normal Vet opened. He has a blockage in his urethra, AND a significant heart murmur. I should have known better than to let her go in by herself, but we didn't want to disrupt the kids' (and my) lazy day off. So even though we had previously agreed that pets are pets and not family members, she agreed to pay $1,500 for the procedure to ATTEMPT to clear the blockage. He's less than 2 years old but she is like, soul-bonded with this thing. FML.

I support your wife so hopefully you have room in the budget. I spent $7k on two 8/12 year old dogs teeth and I will never regret it.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
To clarify some things: We have long since grown out of our reckless youthful spending habits, and will be able to roll with this unexpected expense, though I'm not thrilled at the timing of it. My (tied for) main concern is that she made what she rationally knows is the wrong call, considering what we had agreed upon together regarding our pet finances. Of course that didn't count for much when our golden-doodle developed and almost died from Addison's disease earlier this year, and I was even there to agree to that vet bill. Just can't say no to the wife when she's all sobby over her animals. I'm gutted for her sake if not Frankie's, it just rustles my jimmies that it's an *attempt*, not a fix, and that he's got a heart murmur on top of it, so it's like... really? We're doing this?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Every procedure is going to be "an attempt".
There are NEVER any 100% guarantees in medical treatments.
Even if 99.99% of any given procedure is successful with no negative side effects, its still good practice to describe it as an attempt. It helps to hammer home that nothing is ever certain and poo poo can happen from bad luck, lovely genes or undiscovered compounding factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I get it. The outcomes should be pretty good though, heart murmurs are totally survivable. When covid hit my younger dog had a 10/10 or whatever murmur and I was freaking out thinking he had months but he's been better than ever with medication.

Its hard to keep emotion out of it even though you guys had an agreement and if there's a bond, forget it. Just accept the cat is part of the family and either start a savings account for it or get insurance or something.