Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a few questions/comments now that the Beta is over:

Question: Did anyone else get shot while crouched behind cover by enemies on the same plane as you? It happened to me at least twice and no I wasn't an ogryn. I think/Hope it was just a bug because everything in the level / encounter design said "take cover here" and then I'm still getting las gunned.

Question: when do you lose HEALTH (the bottom bar). Obviously when toughness is gone. And when barrels and some special enemy attacks hit you. Does some portion of damage that hits toughness go to your health?

Question: The Catachan sword special is a parry right? Should it/does it parry the special chain axe enemy? Also, does blocking a Plague Ogryn still make you take damage (toughness? Health?)

Comment: Ogryn gets in the way of ranged characters, when I play a veteran a constant scenario is a special enemy appears at the front, I line up a shot, and then a refrigerator sized man barrels into it and blocks my aim. This doesn't happen when it's the zealot because dangerous enemies are intentionally bigger than a regular person (lol should we all crank down the height slider)?

Comment: I didn't realize until the final hours of the beta that the zealot has 100/150 hp and the veteran has 200/100. It's really notable that the veteran has less options for restoring toughness but has a larger pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Behind everything I've said about this game, good and bad, is the unspoken assumption that DRG is absolute undisputed emperor of the genre; even at it's theoretical best Darktide would just be a nice little change of pace. The B4B comparison is apt, though I think DT's combat design is a bit better. My group had a good batch of fun with B4B and then went back to DRG. I had a good time with VT2 and then went back to DRG. This game, if we get it (and that's a big if given how much they have to fix and their track record in doing so) will at best shake out the same way: being a fun digression before we inevitably return to DRG.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I had a whale of a time during the beta and will probably buy the game on launch like an idiot. :shepspends:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Comment: Ogryn gets in the way of ranged characters, when I play a veteran a constant scenario is a special enemy appears at the front, I line up a shot, and then a refrigerator sized man barrels into it and blocks my aim. This doesn't happen when it's the zealot because dangerous enemies are intentionally bigger than a regular person (lol should we all crank down the height slider)?

I hope making four tiny peasants becomes the meta

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I hope making four tiny peasants becomes the meta
One large veteran and three small peasants.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Siivola posted:

I had a whale of a time during the beta and will probably buy the game on launch like an idiot. :shepspends:

Same, game's fun. Chopping through hordes of enemies is great, moreso with friends. I think a lot of the comparisons to well established games that had years of early access followed by years of updates and fixes is slightly unfair but at it's core this feels like more Vermintide style action and I'm very much down for it even if it's not immediately as fleshed out or polished as Vermintide 2 was.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Siivola posted:

Psyker needs to be tall too. Gotta get that brainburst lockon.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have a few questions/comments now that the Beta is over:

Question: Did anyone else get shot while crouched behind cover by enemies on the same plane as you? It happened to me at least twice and no I wasn't an ogryn. I think/Hope it was just a bug because everything in the level / encounter design said "take cover here" and then I'm still getting las gunned.

Question: when do you lose HEALTH (the bottom bar). Obviously when toughness is gone. And when barrels and some special enemy attacks hit you. Does some portion of damage that hits toughness go to your health?

Question: The Catachan sword special is a parry right? Should it/does it parry the special chain axe enemy? Also, does blocking a Plague Ogryn still make you take damage (toughness? Health?)

Comment: I didn't realize until the final hours of the beta that the zealot has 100/150 hp and the veteran has 200/100. It's really notable that the veteran has less options for restoring toughness but has a larger pool.

Veterans ability to get 100% of shield back on a special kill in either ranged or melee meant I didn't feel like I was that much weaker than a zealot at any time, because that's just the thing you should be doing all the time anyways.

You lose a small portion of health when you get hit at all in melee, toughness acts like classic fps armor then that lowers the damage by a lot. I believe toughness absorbs all the ranged damage though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Siivola posted:

The best games Ive had in beta were 3 sharpshooters and 1 ogryn. Just daddy ogryn protecting his lasgun ducklings from getting smooshed in the face and knocking over big bullies

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fishstick posted:

The best games Ive had in beta were 3 sharpshooters and 1 ogryn. Just daddy ogryn protecting his lasgun ducklings from getting smooshed in the face and knocking over big bullies

The opposite is also fun, one of may favorite runs was me as the veteran leader with my 3 large sons clearing the way while i kept them safe from specials.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Psyker needs to be tall too. Gotta get that brainburst lockon.
You only need a glimpse, so practice those bunny hops!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Siivola posted:

You only need a glimpse, so practice those bunny hops!

Why not both?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Diephoon posted:

Going back to VT 2 with a friend felt extremely easy compared to DT since you're not getting shot at constantly. Then again I was also playing my max level Ironbreaker on Champ (level 3) difficulty so I should probably kick it up a notch or two. Looking forward to seeing how DT plays with maxed out feats and gear.

Tbh ironbreaker is easy mode even on legendary even when you are playing the 2 handed hammer build. Fun and busted class lol (does give you bad habits)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Why not both?
So you can hide behind the tall veteran after you've locked on. You don't need to maintain line of sight, I'm told.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Teammates have a highly inconsiderate habit of dying when used as cover. I prefer walls.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of, is there ever friendly fire and if so, when?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The game was a lot of fun and I'll miss playing it until release. I do think it'll be a classic Fatshark release where it will be a bit of a mess for a while, but it'll still be fun.

Definitely agree with a lot of the criticisms coming from VT2 players. It's certainly different, a lot of positives, a lot of negatives. I'm actually surprised I'm not seeing more complaints about the melee combat. I'm really missing the more complex melee. It still feels good here, but doesn't have nearly the same complexity.

I'm concerned about the lack of cross-plarform. All my friends are going to end up trying it out with Gamepass and it's going to suck going back and forth between that and Steam. Maybe because the progression is more per character than VT2 I'll just split characters.

I know that I'll definitely be playing some VT2 between now and Darktide release. I hope there's a return of players for a bit, would be nice to give it a good send off.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Guns hurt, melee doesn't, stun grenades don't, unsure if frags do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm really missing the more complex melee. It still feels good here, but doesn't have nearly the same complexity.

I played a fair bit of VT2, but it's been a while, and to me it seemed like exactly the same system? Light attack, heavy attack, block, shove? What's missing? The veteran's shovel in particular felt exactly like Kruger's hammer, with a very satisfying rythmn to the heavy melee.

Siivola posted:

When? At what difficulty? Because my friends shot each other at the start of difficulties one, two, and three, and it did jack poo poo.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jack B Nimble posted:

FF has been negligible up to difficulty 3 as Ogryn. I am always chopping up little dudes so my toughness is always regenerating. By the end of beta I also had a club that gave 5% toughness on chained hit so light spamming was great for regen. A few shots in the rear end once in a while are no big deal at all. I do try not to walk in front of my team when they're firing but if a flamer is doing it's thing and no one else is killing it immediately I'm gonna charge the fucker.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Son of a bitch did the beta already end? I just got accepted last night and then I had to go to bed, woke up this morning and it won't even start. :(

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Corbeau posted:

Behind everything I've said about this game, good and bad, is the unspoken assumption that DRG is absolute undisputed emperor of the genre; even at it's theoretical best Darktide would just be a nice little change of pace. The B4B comparison is apt, though I think DT's combat design is a bit better. My group had a good batch of fun with B4B and then went back to DRG. I had a good time with VT2 and then went back to DRG. This game, if we get it (and that's a big if given how much they have to fix and their track record in doing so) will at best shake out the same way: being a fun digression before we inevitably return to DRG.
I play a lot of DRG and like it very much but I don't agree. I think this/VT and DRG are different enough takes on the same basic idea that there's easily room for both.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 17, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Siivola posted:

I think frags dont either, tested up to difficulty 3.

What frags can do though is detonate explosive barrels nearby and those do a lot of damage, so some care required.

As a grenade build vet guard its still one of your best tools to just be tossing them out left right and center when trouble starts.

Deakul posted:

Son of a bitch did the beta already end? I just got accepted last night and then I had to go to bed, woke up this morning and it won't even start. :(

14-16th, unfortunately.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Deakul posted:

Yep, should have ended around 5-6 central US time.

The beta was a hot mess full of performance issues, constant disconnects, and game-ending bugs and crashes, most of which I suspect will still be present in the final release, but goddamn did I have a great time.

It's janky-rear end 40k Left 4 Dead and you can hurl a crate of space-grenades at a spaceman with enough force to send him somersaulting off a space-gantry so it's a day-one purchase for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of the Ogryn grenade, it felt really underwhelming, and considering how slow it was to take out and throw, I felt I was basically always better off just keeping the shotgun out and blasting away.
Was kinda funny how you're just tossing a box, but the novelty wore off fast

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Grenades are super good but I had a real problem with their deployment taking longer than my gamer brain thought they would, and I would often switch to them, hurl one at the ground, and whip my sword back out only to realize...I didn't actually throw a grenade, I just, like, took it out, shook it threateningly, and then put it back again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The grenade box does a ton of damage to enemies so I would usually just hang onto mine until a boss fight or something. That said, it was a bit cludgy to pull out and throw quickly. I'm also not sure what the purpose is of a gentle underhand toss when I'm throwing an unarmed box of grenades at something.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I wish there was a quick grenade throw button, or have the current one do the style where you hold the button to see the throwing arc and release to throw.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I played a fair bit of VT2, but it's been a while, and to me it seemed like exactly the same system? Light attack, heavy attack, block, shove? What's missing? The veteran's shovel in particular felt exactly like Kruger's hammer, with a very satisfying rythmn to the heavy melee.

Hmm.. you know, I think I may be blending VT2 melee with Chivalry 2 melee in my mind. Disregard!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of the Ogryn grenade, it felt really underwhelming, and considering how slow it was to take out and throw, I felt I was basically always better off just keeping the shotgun out and blasting away.

Its not the greatest grenade, and I really think he should get 2 instead of just the 1 max. Zealot's nade seems _way_ more powerful given how many enemies it can lock down, and he gets 3 of em.

That being said, one of the talents for the grenade box is that if you hit an armored enemy with it it'll spill out some actual explosive grenades, which makes it a bit more useful to use on random armored elites in hordes. Donk a brute in the dome with the box and blow up some of his buddies as a bonus.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 17, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

That being said, one of the talents for the grenade box is that if you hit an armored enemy with it it'll spill out some actual explosive grenades, which makes it a bit more useful to use on random armored elites in hordes

I noticed this in the skill tree thing and had a chuckle at "Your grenades have a chance of exploding" being a skill unlock.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I find this argument hard to believe, as I played a ton of VT2, and I can count the amount of people being asses about the scoreboard specifically on one hand.
It feels like an excuse based on what some people think happens.

It's generally less about people berating others for their lack of green circles (though I have seen this happen) and more about people playing in stupid-rear end ways to get as many green circles for themselves as possible, which almost always happens.

Wildly firing shots at elites or hordes that are already being handled by teammates, causing friendly fire and leaving other areas exposed. Constantly trying to push just a bit past everyone else to make sure that all of the rat kills are theirs. Pointlessly trying to score snipes on single ambient rats before anyone else can reach them which ends up with at least 10 javelins in the group's backs by the end of the mission. Hell, that last one annoyed me enough that I fired up MSPaint to vent about it right after release:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I wish there was a quick grenade throw button, or have the current one do the style where you hold the button to see the throwing arc and release to throw.
I think the reason they went with this was to enable gun-like abilities like the psyker's head-pop.

I really wish they would tune it up tighter, it took me a long while to figure out how to panic grenade.

Jack B Nimble posted:

When? At what difficulty? Because my friends shot each other at the start of difficulties one, two, and three, and it did jack poo poo.
I guess the damage could be bugged, but I've gotten hit markers and angry voice lines at those difficulties, both shooting and being shot. :shrug:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 17, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Char posted:

The more I think about this, the more I don't like this choice.
They laid out the framework of a tactical game, where choosing a team composition is an important part... and you can't actually choose, there are 4 characters, but you need all of them because the deliberate weaknesses they have complement each other.

What if quickplay puts me in a 4 ogryn game? :v:

Speaking as someone who's beaten all the beta missions on the third difficulty with a 4x ogryn party - it's actually not as big of a hindrance as you might think. The ogryn is pretty self sufficient and just doesn't really excel at anything aside from being tough and knocking people down. The one problem they run into is snipers when as of the beta all they had were wide spread shotguns. I can't wait for the live game when they get the full weapon variety.

Like, it feels like sharpshooter and psyker are the ones you don't really want more than 2 of - zealot and Ogryn both have 'Good Enough' ranged presence to handle most of the threats that need to be shot, while being more than capable on the melee side of things to deal with the swarmers.

For what it's worth, I really liked the Darktide beta, Fatshark Jank not withstanding. And I say this as someone who was never terribly hot on Deep rock Galactic like the guy from the other page. It's got my attention enough that I'm going to pre-order and not feel bad about it at least.

I feel like they did a really good job of making the gunplay side of things feel meaningful and impacts and balanced ranged enemies extremely well. The toughness system is a great way to deal with the temp hp balance from the first game in a way that makes sense. The only thing in not terribly well sold on is moving to generic characters rather than the named, fleshed out personalities of Vermintide.

Whoever said this is making them want to play VT2 again is spot on. I played from launch through like DLC 1 and missed chaos wastes and the hero classes so it's probably time to get caught up again.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Broken Cog posted:

Beaning a marauder in the dome and watching it die is hilarious. Will also chunk a plague ogryn for a good bit of hp. I would have tried the explosion talent but IIRC it was for "carapace armored" enemies and I have no idea what that means.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

One thing I think is interesting that was mentioned is that the background choices you pick do manifest in terms of what voicelines you say and how often in addition to the personality/voice you choose. I'm not sure how often it will manifest in the full game.

I honestly think set characters might have been the stronger option but all the voice acting and direction was pretty excellent for every class, although psyker I think is the one that really knocks it out of the park with their choices.

I got really attached to my incredibly loud manic depressive vet guard by the end.

Diephoon posted:

Beaning a marauder in the dome and watching it die is hilarious. Will also chunk a plague ogryn for a good bit of hp. I would have tried the explosion talent but IIRC it was for "carapace armored" enemies and I have no idea what that means.

flak is the normal shooty guys and carapace are the heavier metal guys.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Siivola posted:

I guess the damage could be bugged, but I've gotten hit markers and angry voice lines at those difficulties, both shooting and being shot. :shrug:

Well, see, B4B was like that: the game would signal friendly fire on all difficulties but only actually apply it on the harder levels. I think that's what's happening here. I'm just wondering did anyone confirm that's the case and, if so, which difficulty?

My friends and I could NOT handle difficulty 3 btw. We had a no skill character, two 1st skills, and someone with 2 skills, and difficulty 3 obliterated us. A minute in the AI director said "enjoy a pack of las guardsmen ahead of you, a flame thrower behind, and a bullgryn. We folded almost instantly."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm hoping the characters come together when I can rope a regular crew together, and don't have to put up with pubbies with fifteen ever so slightly different variations on the same voice pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think this game has kind of the same issue as VT2 where new players playing on level 1 / level 2 (forget the VT2 names) don't really get a full feel for the game. It's a little too slow, a little too throwing consumables at you. People might play it and think it's boring. Obviously, you need those early levels for people to learn the game a bit, but at least it seems that way to me.

Do we know how they are going to handle grims/tomes? Having to hunt them down and do random jumping puzzles was really the only thing about VT2 I didn't like. And then making it necessary to always carry curse resistance. I hope both of those pieces of VT2 are absent in Darktide and they do something a little different. I know they're in the game, just not exactly sure how they work now.