Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the small council plot still would have gone ahead without the aegon confusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I don't know if publicly murdering half your family would be the political masterstroke a lot of you seem to think it would be. Say she did then went to Rhaenyra and said "Hey they tried to crown Aegon but I killed them all you can thank me later", Rhaenyra's response is probably "Thanks but now I have to put you on trial for their murder for the sake of appearances".

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The foot thing was really weird and out of place. It feels like the show runners were thinking of what GoT had that they were missing, and realized they were low on shock value, so they threw that in.

I agree with those saying the dragon thing was something the network pushed. It is episode 9, in a show promising dragons, so they gave us a dragon moment. Rhaenys not killing everyone fits her character, but they shouldn't have put her in this position. It reminded me of the Dothraki charge in The Long Night episode where it looks cool, but is completely nonsensical.

Definitely the weakest episode of the show so far.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Gotta admit, those were some nice feet though

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

One cute detail of this episode was Helaena embroiding a spider :3: Long Live Bug Queen

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Lotta kinkshaming itt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Small quibble; why didn't Rhanerys end the show in episode 9 of the first season? That's a plot hole. Also, why didn't the eagles just take the ring to mount doom?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Small quibble; why didn't Rhanerys end the show in episode 9 of the first season? That's a plot hole. Also, why didn't the eagles just take the ring to mount doom?

weak strawman!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

roomtone posted:

weak strawman!

I forget this guy. What house does he fight for?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

zoux posted:

This was more like taking the eagles to mount doom, circling it a few times, lowering the ring on a piece of string so it almost touches the lava, then pulling it up and flying back to the beginning so you can do it the hard way.

Just have Rhaenys get her dragon and escape immediately.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also y'all need to stop being such churchladies about Larys, that poo poo was hilarious. The exasperated way that Alicent went through the "striptease" tells me this isn't the first time she's had to post feet to get some secrets out of Larys, which naturally leads to the question, how does one broach the subject of jerking off to the Queens feet in an indirect and deniable way

TyrantWD posted:

This was more like taking the eagles to mount doom, circling it a few times, lowering the ring on a piece of string so it almost touches the lava, then pulling it up and flying back to the beginning so you can do it the hard way.

The scene should be less cool because when a character doesn't do the tactically optimal thing, that's bad writing. Or perhaps the fact that she had them dead to rights and let them go might come up again. ALSO ALSO this is a woman who was fully prepared to yeet Rhaneyra and her "claims" under the bus *yesterday* before Viserys strode in, so she's not dyed in the wool Black or anything and immolating a bunch of people she's known for 30 years in favor of setting your son's murderer on the throne might cause some indecision. If you must have everything explained.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 17, 2022

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It makes sense why ol' clubfoot Larys has a foot fetish honestly.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Poor Alicent is coming across as very sympathetic IMO, despite having to be Queen onlyfans to keep her spymaster onside.

Aegon’s a real dipshit though. The kids fighting ring was properly disgusting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ShowTime posted:

It makes sense why ol' clubfoot Larys has a foot fetish honestly.

Deleted scene where after Larys told Otto there was no reason his work for the Queen couldn't benefit them both, Otto sighed and started unlacing his boots.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

The kids fighting ring was properly disgusting.

It's so depraved, has any irl society ever had underground child fighting rings

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I don't know if publicly murdering half your family would be the political masterstroke a lot of you seem to think it would be. Say she did then went to Rhaenyra and said "Hey they tried to crown Aegon but I killed them all you can thank me later", Rhaenyra's response is probably "Thanks but now I have to put you on trial for their murder for the sake of appearances".

Yeah, I wanted her to do it too, but aside from the fact that she really only wants one of those people dead (Otto), I don't think treasonous kinslaying in front of the entire kingdom is a winning move, especially when there isn't a war actively going on. It would immediately turn this cold war into the hottest one imaginable, and while they'd be well positioned to "win" it would be as bloody conquerors and it's not clear any of them want to do that. It's perfectly reasonable to not make that decision, especially as a snap judgment before any of your only allies even know what's going on.

TyrantWD posted:

This is literally what she did, lol

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

exmarx posted:

the small council plot still would have gone ahead without the aegon confusion
But Alicent may not have been with them. And even aligned with them, her own agenda supersede her father and his friend plot, as seen with Aegon.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

It's so depraved, has any irl society ever had underground child fighting rings

Real modern society uses cock

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I also like how everyone, from Otto on down to Aegon, are like "sure bud" whenever Alicent says that Viserys had a deathbed change of heart. Rhys Ifans gives her a look like "oh she's committed to the bit, excellent"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
This ep turned my opinion 180 on Alicent. She really is a good person and is risking a LOT to keep Rhaenyra and her kids alive.

Regarding Rhaenys, it's pretty easy to question her decision from a couch. But cold blooded mass murder is something most people are physically / mentally incapable of doing. She showed a lot of humanity in that moment and catapulted herself to top tier character on the show.

There's no way killing the entire faction would have "ended" things, it just would have triggered a different civil war between Rhaenys and Rhaenyra, or would have completely marred the rule of whichever monarch followed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Alicent is sympathetic, but I don’t see this conflict having much of a sense of a true crisis or unavoidable tragedy, even if the other side does some horrible atrocities, because it was all completely unforced. Even on that day, she probably could have hosed off with her kids and sent a message saying she was abdicating. I get that there’s a point after which they can’t back down, but right now it seems like they’re driving everything.

I don't think it could be avoided at this point in the story.

If Alicent many years ago turned the family to supporting Rhaenyra's claim and Aemond had been riding around a huge gently caress-off dragon going "My sister Rhaenyra is going to be queen, and I'll melt anyone who says otherwise" for 10 years, it probably would have been fine.

At this point though, they've got the medieval equivalent of a nuclear stockpile, so the Greens couldn't be allowed to just gently caress off to Oldtown.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

zoux posted:

Also y'all need to stop being such churchladies about Larys, that poo poo was hilarious. The exasperated way that Alicent went through the "striptease" tells me this isn't the first time she's had to post feet to get some secrets out of Larys, which naturally leads to the question, how does one broach the subject of jerking off to the Queens feet in an indirect and deniable way

The scene should be less cool because when a character doesn't do the tactically optimal thing, that's bad writing. Or perhaps the fact that she had them dead to rights and let them go might come up again. ALSO ALSO this is a woman who was fully prepared to yeet Rhaneyra and her "claims" under the bus *yesterday* before Viserys strode in, so she's not dyed in the wool Black or anything and immolating a bunch of people she's known for 30 years in favor of setting your son's murderer on the throne might cause some indecision. If you must have everything explained.

She is fully committed to the Blacks. Her last 2 descendants are betrothed to Rhaenyra's kids after she picked a side last week, and by escaping she is telling the greens that she is refusing to bend the knee to Aegon. I agree that it would be very out of character for her to murder everyone on the dais, that is why I wouldn't put her in the situation where she has a chance to win the war before it fully gets going. If she hadn't accepted the marriage proposal for her granddaughters, maybe this scene works better as a declaration of her independence, but given what has come before, this was just dumb. It was a very GoT S8 scene that was done because it looks cool rather than because it makes sense.

sad question
May 30, 2020

zoux posted:

The exasperated way that Alicent went through the "striptease" tells me this isn't the first time she's had to post feet to get some secrets out of Larys, which naturally leads to the question, how does one broach the subject of jerking off to the Queens feet in an indirect and deniable way
Probably like this:

CornHolio posted:

Gotta admit, those were some nice feet though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember that speech where Rhaenys was like "you're hosed Rhaenyra, and I'm going to watch" in the Kingswood? That was literally the day before.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rhaenys: *has several extended scenes showing that she doesn't care for Rhaenyra at all and thinks she murdered her family, and that she pities Alicent. Is then shown staring at a helpless Alicent pathetically trying to shield her kids and wordlessly pleading for their lives*

Goons: Why didn't she just murder them all? Probably just studio-mandated bullshit

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It's a death sentence just to question the legitimacy of Rhaenyra's children. The Hightowers and the small council conspired to usurp the throne, and, from Rhaenyra's point of view, killing them is the lawful consequence.

Of course that didn't happen because dozens of commoners dying as your dragon breaks out, and thousands dying in the ensuing war, is ethically superior to turning on your dragon's broil setting for a few seconds.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Remember that speech where Rhaenys was like "you're hosed Rhaenyra, and I'm going to watch" in the Kingswood? That was literally the day before.

She also went back on that later that day and did what Rhaenyra wanted in affirming publicly that Corlys wanted Driftmark to go to Luc.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

She is fully committed to the Blacks. Her last 2 descendants are betrothed to Rhaenyra's kids after she picked a side last week, and by escaping she is telling the greens that she is refusing to bend the knee to Aegon. I agree that it would be very out of character for her to murder everyone on the dais, that is why I wouldn't put her in the situation where she has a chance to win the war before it fully gets going. If she hadn't accepted the marriage proposal for her granddaughters, maybe this scene works better as a declaration of her independence, but given what has come before, this was just dumb. It was a very GoT S8 scene that was done because it looks cool rather than because it makes sense.

"Before it fully gets going" It hasn't gotten going at all. There is no war. What has happened is that the king died and his son was coronated. If you immolate the entire royal family in front of a crowd you have not won a war, you have become the perpetrator of the most heinous mass killing in a generation.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Same for me. It was definitely a dip after a fantastic episode 8. It felt like 70% filler with the red keep detectives investigating the case of the missing shithead because they couldn't stretch the big council meeting and the coronation to cover an hour.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yep. It was just a display of power + escape. She got locked in her room by them, they may have killed her, or at least held her hostage (which is super common), to solidify their claim, and she likes that side of the family. But she needed to prove that she ain't gonna show her feet to no one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

She also went back on that later that day and did what Rhaenyra wanted in affirming publicly that Corlys wanted Driftmark to go to Luc.

Not because she was like "you know what Rhaenyra is ok" it's because she saw what was happening and knew what side to put herself on. She 100% called an audible. "Oh poo poo the king is here, the Blacks are going to win, and I just called the next ruler of Westeros the c-word an hour ago, I better do something"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Not because she was like "you know what Rhaenyra is ok" it's because she saw what was happening and knew what side to put herself on. She 100% called an audible. "Oh poo poo the king is here, the Blacks are going to win, and I just called the next ruler of Westeros the c-word an hour ago, I better do something"

Sure, but she still did it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

Not because she was like "you know what Rhaenyra is ok" it's because she saw what was happening and knew what side to put herself on. She 100% called an audible.

And? She's not stupid (well, except for not torching the people who planned to kill her). One side is allied with her and her family, the other wants them dead. If not before, then certainly now that she blew up the coronation.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

When Aegon isn't on screen all of the characters should be asking "where's Aegon?"

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Lmao, Aemond literally going "while my brother was drinking and whoring, I studied the blade. I'm glad they're self-aware with the character.

I was sold on Aegon's actor in this episode, he seemed like he was going for Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator.

Fully agree on both points. I was partially expecting Aegon to kill himself with the dagger, though. He was Gladiator's Commodus but with way more self-loathing. At least up until he put on the crowd and started pumping up the crowd. Maybe his dream job was a sports mascot. He could've done it at Child Bum Fights.

E: Also did we see the origin of the Lannister fortune happen? "We better hide half the money, you know, just to be safe."

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 17, 2022

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

"Before it fully gets going" It hasn't gotten going at all. There is no war. What has happened is that the king died and his son was coronated. If you immolate the entire royal family in front of a crowd you have not won a war, you have become the perpetrator of the most heinous mass killing in a generation.
She tells Rhaenyra how men would sooner burn the kingdom to the ground before allowing a woman on the throne back in episode 1 or 2, and the preview shows she immediately heads to Dragonstone to get the Blacks ready for war. The war started the second they started killing nobles loyal to Rhaenyra, and Rhaenys decides to make the point of threatening to kill the greens before flying away, instead of immediately heading for the exit.

zoux posted:

She changed her mind after that, and fully committed by not only reaffirming Luke's inheritance, but also accepting the marriage proposals, binding what is left of her family to Rhaenyra's.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

She changed her mind after that, and fully committed by not only reaffirming Luke's inheritance, but also accepting the marriage proposals, binding what is left of her family to Rhaenyra's.

I think that's also a huge thing, because once confirmed, that poo poo is basically locked in. It's almost taboo, to basically betroth people and then not go through with it. Because I think, if there wasn't gonna be a big fight, they wouldn't want to kill the Blacks, but rather use them politically. In which case, her kids are married to yours. Although, thinking about it more, the Greens should then completely want to subjugate or even kill them, because their bloodline is purer than yours.

I dunno, but i'm almost 100% sure when Rhaenys arrives at Dragonstone, they are gonna go over why she did what she did. Rhaenyra and Daemon are undoubtedly gonna ask why she didn't just kill them all there and then.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the king wasnt there yet, and any lingering doubts about rhaenerya as queen she would have probably went out the window when she saw viserys, there was a meaningful shot on her and everything. besides that the greens imprisoned her against her will and threw her dead children in her face. she only escaped because of a kingsguard loyal to rhaenerya and saw executed men along her escape route who were loyal to rhaenerya, and as others have stated, and i cant believe were having this discussion, her grandchildren are daemon's children, and are betrothed to rhaenerya's children the future king and lord of driftmark.

would she nonetheless want to kill half her (extended) family and become a kinslayer and kingslayer, no. but i would just change the scene, as these are not events occurring in real time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

TyrantWD posted:

The foot thing was really weird and out of place. It feels like the show runners were thinking of what GoT had that they were missing, and realized they were low on shock value, so they threw that in.

I agree with those saying the dragon thing was something the network pushed. It is episode 9, in a show promising dragons, so they gave us a dragon moment. Rhaenys not killing everyone fits her character, but they shouldn't have put her in this position. It reminded me of the Dothraki charge in The Long Night episode where it looks cool, but is completely nonsensical.

You can argue, as others have, that it is kinkshaming but I don't think it is out of place all in GoT shows. GoT has never been shy about using sexual tastes or behavior as shorthand or illustration for "this person is bad." Ramsay Bolton and Merryn Trant come to mind. I feel like there's more that I'm just forgetting.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Roman Reigns posted:

Same for me. It was definitely a dip after a fantastic episode 8. It felt like 70% filler with the red keep detectives investigating the case of the missing shithead because they couldn't stretch the big council meeting and the coronation to cover an hour.

I strongly disagree, I think every episode from now on should start with Aegon missing and and the episode is about everyone trying to find him and what he's doing