Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Guy TT posted:

luv when its impossible to tell whether a movie has been hosed up in translation somehow or if its just doing weird artsy fartsy bullshit for the hell of it

i remember watching The Big Short and taking a bit to realize id accidentally turned on the audio description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

indigi posted:

same

the first time I saw Smowpiercer it was a copy that didn’t have subtitles so dude's monologue at the end was largely unintelligible to me except for the feelings, then when Cap said "I didn’t understand" I was like oh that's a brilliant choice putting the audience in his place like that

then I saw a version with the subtitles and I thought it made the scene way worse

Oh yeah, this also happened to me too, same as with District 9. Hard agree.

You don't even need to know Korean to understand the gist of those scenes tbh. The subtleties are lost, but you get a cool experience out of it instead.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

double negative posted:

lmao candace owens got kanye to buy parler

definitely not a reason to feel bad for ye but he could not be getting grifted harder

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How much does a parler go for these days

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

indigi posted:

same

the first time I saw Smowpiercer it was a copy that didn’t have subtitles so dude's monologue at the end was largely unintelligible to me except for the feelings, then when Cap said "I didn’t understand" I was like oh that's a brilliant choice putting the audience in his place like that

then I saw a version with the subtitles and I thought it made the scene way worse

similar thing happened to me first time I saw Snowpiercer. I was watching it with my Korean buddy and he was cracking up at all the little snide remarks that dude makes about the main character and summarizing as best he could. Mostly it was that dude calling Chris Evans a dipshit pig IIRC

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DoombatINC posted:

thinking fondly back on Fangs (1974), a horror movie about the ramifications of cuts to education, the importance of adult friendships, and the devastating effects of Sousa compositions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3CJl4Mg2w

it's really hard to get across how completely unhinged and uncomfortable every moment of this movie is, like it feels like you're sharing a room with a dangerous drunk

Loving all of the shots of cars falling off of cliffs in this trailer, please tell me that the full film has even more.

galagazombie posted:

I know it’s waaaaaay less important than the advent of streaming on the list of things that killed theaters, but TV’s also just got too good. Used to the best you could get even with unlimited money was some staticky tube tv with a tiny screen that wasn’t even in the right ratio for movies. Now you can get a crisp lcd screen the size of Alaska in 16:9 ratio for the lint in your pocket. So theatre’s can’t even really offer much in the way of the “experience” either. The only thing they still have that can’t yet be replicated is a crowd for communal hooting and hollering, and even that is something that isn’t needed, or is often downright harmful to all but certain genres. And if you have enough friends you can replicate that too.

Had a similar conversation with the missus the other day, though I can't remember what prompted it. I've never been a huge junkie for the theater experience but I told her that some people just like the experience of a theater-scale screen and sound system and she just couldn't wrap her head around why that might be. It's not we have a great TV at home either!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's more seeing it with a crowd than the big screen + sound for me. the only movies I've seen in theaters since roni have been Fast 9 and EEAAO and I don't think I would have enjoyed either nearly as much watching at home. even if it's only a half-full theater, everyone coming together to break out in spontaneous applause when a car is driving in space or going deathly silent while two rocks text each other is powerful

e: actually I saw Batman in theater but it was before work at 10am on a Tuesday and there were two of us

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I ain't going back in a theater til there's a sterilizing vaccine, sorry Sad Triangles: The Motion Picture

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

C-Euro posted:

Loving all of the shots of cars falling off of cliffs in this trailer, please tell me that the full film has even more.

its lousy with the dang things, whenever the snake man kills someone he puts their body in their car and shoves it off the same cliff, leaving a comical pile of twisted scraps along the side by the end

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I saw Nope in the theater but it turned out to be simply bad, I'm still angry about that one. I cannot imagine a hypothetical movie that would get me to go to a theater again.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

The first time I saw... I want to say it was District 9 but this was yonks ago... it was a bootleg DVD version that didn't have any subtitles for the scenes with the aliens, and it was a thousand times better. I thought the audience was being encouraged to see the aliens as actual aliens, albeit ones who'd syncretised with earth trash culture, and the film was doing this cool, quasi-experimental thing and that's why everyone loved it and was talking about how smart and impressive the film had been.

Then I watched the version with subtitles and the aliens aren't remotely alien at all, they're just generic Speilburg archetypes doing generic nuclear family poo poo. Such a disappointment, and makes it clear that the film is encouraging you to care about the aliens not because racism and imperialism are fundamentally wrong, but because they're just like us Americans.

But like I said, it's been years since I've seen the film.

Some movies work better when they aren't working properly. I grew up on a beat-to-poo poo VHS copy of Aliens, and it ruled--everything was grimy and sweaty and textured and dark. When I finally got my hands on the blu-ray years later, everything just felt too clean. I'm sure there are some nostalgia goggles at play here, and a movie like that is gonna hit harder when you're a kid no matter what, but I do still miss that hosed up VHS.

Dropping the subtitles is something I wish happened for a lot of movies. "People always need to know what's being said" is a concept filmmakers as a whole should get over. It's a visual medium, goddamnit!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Dropping the subtitles is something I wish happened for a lot of movies. "People always need to know what's being said" is a concept filmmakers as a whole should get over. It's a visual medium, goddamnit!

me and the "subtitles should always be on, even in theaters" crew getting ready to street brawl with this post

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I saw Nope in the theater but it turned out to be simply bad, I'm still angry about that one. I cannot imagine a hypothetical movie that would get me to go to a theater again.

my next one will probably be, embarrassingly, indiana jones

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some movies work better when they aren't working properly. I grew up on a beat-to-poo poo VHS copy of Aliens, and it ruled--everything was grimy and sweaty and textured and dark. When I finally got my hands on the blu-ray years later, everything just felt too clean. I'm sure there are some nostalgia goggles at play here, and a movie like that is gonna hit harder when you're a kid no matter what, but I do still miss that hosed up VHS.

dialogue: who needs it, really

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'll kill you m8

Drives me up the wall when the subs just say something like "speaking Spanish"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Silent Films really were the pinnacle of the form

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I want Antonymous to put himself back in the "fight scenes and songs and jokes that don't advance the plot should be cut from movies" mindset and address that point, because I'm curious

Is all that flowery speech just more window-dressing that distracts from the core truths of the artwork, or is dialogue the only part of the film you really need because written word is the soul of narrative? I could see this going either way

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'll kill you m8

that's always funny cause what if you know Spanish but you're deaf or hard of hearing or you just like subtitles on. drat annoying

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

double negative posted:

lmao candace owens got kanye to buy parler

thats a classic decision made by an independent thinker

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'll kill you m8

it'd be funny if they just cut out the bullshit and made the subtitle say "who cares"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

dialogue: who needs it, really

is that a Christopher Nolan quote

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The best subtitle gag was in Eastbound and Down Season 4, when all of Stevie's Mexican kids are subtitled even tho they all speak English lol

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I'm gonna start wearing a google glass so I can get subtitles everywhere

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The best subtitle gag was in Eastbound and Down Season 4, when all of Stevie's Mexican kids are subtitled even tho they all speak English lol

All of Danny McBride's HBO shows are so good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

it'd be funny if they just cut out the bullshit and made the subtitle say "who cares"

[FOREIGN GIBBERISH]

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I saw DUNC in theaters and have no regrets.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

what a bunch of pearl-clutching nerds. "oooh, we wanna know what the characters are saying" you disgust me

you ever watch a comedy with subtitles? have fun getting every single punchline ruined 1-2 seconds in advance, you loving losers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

All of Danny McBride's HBO shows are so good.

everytime I try to get someone to watch EB&D they think it's gonna be like all the Apatow-produced stuff of that era, and then it ends up being one of their favorite shows because how could it not be

Vice Principals, on the other hand, no one has heard of. One of the best shows HBO has made and people just have no idea it exists lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's criminal that there are only 2 seasons of Vice Principals but they ended it so well.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Eastbound & Down has the most accurate depiction of cocaine usage. The loving scene where he's doing a line off the barrel of a rifle :lmao:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
awful lot of people itt who somehow didnt see top gun maverick in theaters, because they're Idiots

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

mastershakeman posted:

awful lot of people itt who somehow didnt see top gun maverick in theaters, because they're Idiots

Just too much bullshit, it was like watching a cartoon. They might as well have had Maverick shoot down X wings and some dragons after orbiting Mars

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

There is a movie called A Hidden Life which is what you want. It's set in Austria during WW2 and sometimes the actors speak English, sometimes they switch to German. Sometimes there's subtitles, sometimes there ain't. Great movie for high-powered edibles, as well

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i watch foreign films unsubtitled and just glean the plot by carefully examining the actor's facial expressions, because i am not a philistine

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I saw Nope as my post pandemic movie. Great film

I probably won't be going back again for a good long time

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Zokari posted:

i watch foreign films unsubtitled and just glean the plot by carefully examining the actor's facial expressions, because i am not a philistine

I consume media through a camera obscura with cotton balls stuffed in my ears

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i play video games with my tv turned off because it's an interactive format goddamnit!

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Midsommar is stool elevated above the toilet bowl

Hereditary is great though
Hereditary had an absolutely amazing sequence but the end where the demons are unambiguously real was silly. Much like Rosemary's Baby.

Would I like Midsommar?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

There should be filters added to video players to fix that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Zokari posted:

i play video games with my tv turned off because it's an interactive format goddamnit!

Heard about a interesting game where your head was put into a deep sea diver mask, that created complete darkness. And you had to shoot spears as enemies, that were located from beep sounds.