Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Stringent posted:

that's interesting. i've actually got a couple friends from spain that have lived here for quite a while and, at least according to them, economic prospects are a lot better in japan than in spain.

always worth considering that migrants have a skewed perception of economic mobility and opportunity. people who have the option or means to move to a different continent and learn a different language tend to come from higher socioeconomic strata than the general population. also if your friends genuinely believed that spain offered better prospects and a higher standard of living, they'd want to move back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

webcams for christ posted:

always worth considering that migrants have a skewed perception of economic mobility and opportunity. people who have the option or means to move to a different continent and learn a different language tend to come from higher socioeconomic strata than the general population. also if your friends genuinely believed that spain offered better prospects and a higher standard of living, they'd want to move back.

There's also the fact that the police/local and national governments are hard at work hiding any visible poverty for the big cities as they also happen(ed) to be major tourist spots. Homeless people get evicted from "hot spots" periodically and police patrols then get installed to prevent them from coming back. There used to be tons in the parks here.

Due to prior volunteer work with these people and due to quite some members of my hobby-group being marginalized working-class (think line-cook for a soba joint), I see a lot of what the government is trying to hide - and let me tell you it's not pretty. Especially for those, who lose their familial "fall back" position...

On the have-side there's (still) a lot more social cohesion and people are willing to help each other in order to prevent them from falling through the cracks entirely.
I assume that also serves as a sort of society wide palliative.

Edit: That said, even if you travel a tiny bit outside of the city core, there is a shocking amount of dilapidation, crime and poverty like right here in Tokyo.
The place is simply too large and they can only perform so many "clean up" (read throwing the homeless into another district and making it their problem) actions...

VomitOnLino has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Oct 17, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

So uhh, why?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

lmao

cnn only supports the wettest and most perpetually lubricated leaders

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Orange Devil posted:

So uhh, why?

Standard policy for Western reporting. If you present things as something that needs to be interpreted, and then use the omnipresence of your messaging to impose yourself as the only valid interpreter, you don't really need to do censorship, you can convert anything whatsoever into "and this proves I'm right". Gets really silly when it's this obvious, admittedly. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

So uhh, why?

Something something stamina, micromanaging, apparently

https://twitter.com/thelongwallz/status/1581841954073370626

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Boots posted:

everyone makes the same silly observation about this picture of hildawg

it's not that she was surprised by the kitchen, she just realized that she stepped into a domicile without being invited in first

actually vampires can't enter a house unless they have already been invited

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

a new way of reading tea leaves

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1581926030981607425?s=20&t=iFWLncoPjwSA2D2gf1MhdA

quote:

China told its state-owned gas importers to stop reselling LNG to energy-starved buyers in Europe and Asia in order to ensure its own supply for the winter heating season.

The National Development and Reform Commission, the nation’s top economic planner, asked PetroChina Co., Sinopec and Cnooc Ltd. to keep winter cargoes for domestic use, according to people with knowledge of the matter who asked not to be named as the information isn’t public. While the sales had offered some relief to European buyers, rapidly filling inventories and record-high shipping costs also reduced the appeal of reshipping fuel, they said.

https://www.dw.com/en/is-china-reexporting-russian-gas-to-europe/a-63146922

quote:

So far this year, Chinese companies have sold 4 million tons of LNG on international markets. That represents about 7% of Europe's gas consumption for the first half of the year. Evidence of this came from China's JOVO Group, an LNG broker, which said it had sold an LNG cargo worth as much as $100 million (€103 million) to a European buyer.
Seems less than ideal for Europe!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
but dumbasses in the cspam Ukraine thread have been telling me the gas situation will be fine in Europe?!?!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

crepeface posted:

but dumbasses in the cspam Ukraine thread have been telling me the gas situation will be fine in Europe?!?!

what

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

my dad posted:

Standard policy for Western reporting. If you present things as something that needs to be interpreted, and then use the omnipresence of your messaging to impose yourself as the only valid interpreter, you don't really need to do censorship, you can convert anything whatsoever into "and this proves I'm right". Gets really silly when it's this obvious, admittedly. :v:

Yeah no I get that, I just wanted to have a hearty lol at whatever bullshit CNN thinks they can read in Xi's uhh, tealeaves.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Something something stamina, micromanaging, apparently

https://twitter.com/thelongwallz/status/1581841954073370626

Ohh yeah, that's the stuff.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Oct 17, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah no I get that, I just wanted to have a hearty lol at whatever bullshit CNN things they can read in Xi's uhh, tealeaves.

if they stared it long enough they can see afterimages of biden fondling young kids

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Do you think "China Experts" and "Kremlinologists" see each other as colleagues and exchange bullshitting techniques, or rivals who secretly root for their chosen country to be more succesful/threatening to secure their dumb jobs?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

In all the CPC's 100 year history no leader has taken a sip of delicious tea placed in front of him, this is an historic moment.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grevling posted:

In all the CPC's 100 year history no leader has taken a sip of delicious tea placed in front of him, this is an historic moment.

now lets talk about his apparent lack of kidney function

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Goon Boots posted:

a new way of reading tea leaves

xi leaves, if you will

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Xi had the queen killed and now he's dabbing all over us.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Xi had the queen killed and now he's dabbing all over us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZveA-NAIDI

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Germanysnreserves are 90% full, everything will be fine for the garden protagonists of the world

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Crymetimeboys posted:

Europe energy prices are already falling, though. Russia may not be able to weaponise their gas supply against the EU countries after all.

cncgnxcg posted:

German goverment claims that tanks are at ~90% full, and still growing with the target being 95% on Nov. 1st. And stores only covering 2 months assumes that no new gas is coming in at all.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

crepeface posted:

it will be "fine" in that it won't do anything but hurt the poor

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
genuinely deranged stuff coming out of white media over Xi Jinping drinking tea

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
his refusal to drink red tea means that he will abandon communism within the week

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This sounds like someone who didn't read or understand any of the speech was forced to write an article.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB2LxMRrG4I

I watched this long lecture from a PolSci professor from Boston College. You don't have to yourself, but he tackles Xinjiang at one point, and his answer basically amounts to, "so what?"

Even if you genuinely believed that there was a genocide happening in Xinjiang, you're not going to be able to do anything about it. The West can't assail Xinjiang without losing the ability to cooperate with China on anything else, and presumably some section of the Western foreign policy establishment still wants to do that.

And even if you tried, there's nothing you could do that wouldn't make things worse for the Uighurs - whatever you think China is doing to them now is going to be amplified once you start agitating them as a minority needing rescue from the PRC.

I got around to listen to it when I was doing a day hike.

It's a very frank academic view of the Sino-US competition. He straight up said the US is hollowing out the "One China Policy". That's exactly the phrase China diplomatic officials use. That's why the Washington blob doesn't hire or have dialogue with China experts in US academia anymore, because the academic will say it like it is and call the US China policy hypocritical and the State Department can't have that.

The guy was also frank on US trying to contain China. He told a story that when Hilary went to China in 199x, the media asked her, will you raise issue about the oppressed minorities, Hilary answered "no, because it doesn't help". And it got a big fuzz from the media. So the DEM never made the argument of "no it doesn't help" ever since and just pretend they care about foreign minorities.

There is one thing I don't agree with him, around the one hour mark he commented that the Russians have been laying low in the far east because the far east population is vastly smaller than the Chinese and they "let China do whatever they wanted". No this is wrong. The CPC settled all border disputes with Russia under Jiang, since then they have been very careful about expending their influence in far east and in the central asian coutries. China only wanted to expand economic influence and didn't want to touch the Russian political and cultural stakes. Russians historically has been very touchy about border land ownership. One thing China will never do is go around Russia and have military cooperation with other stan countries. This is what the Americans don't get.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/MarxistHeathen/status/1581128432011780096

new battle at lake changjin link for those who haven't watched it yet or want to rewatch it again

Why didn't anyone tell me that part 2 was out.

https://twitter.com/MarxistHeathen/status/1581126442653343745

Wasted my weekend watching Adam Curtis instead :eng99:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Germanysnreserves are 90% full, everything will be fine for the garden protagonists of the world

Note that 100% full reserves corresponds to 2-3 months usage. Winter temperatures can last 5 months.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

i dont think you need to keep paper records for this. you can just go to the tax office and request a copy of their records, it takes like 10 minutes and it's free

Yeah, my impressions may be due to a weird tax situation with my company and the Shanghai lockdowns around that time.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I bet that mf drinks earl gray or some trite poo poo smdh

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Malleum posted:

his refusal to drink red tea means that he will abandon communism within the week

black tea in chinese is 红茶 which literally translates to "red tea". owned

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

the inscrutable oriental can only be understood by their subtle gestures. we have yet to decipher their complex pictographic language

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

R. Guyovich posted:

black tea in chinese is 红茶 which literally translates to "red tea". owned

china also has 黑茶 which translates to black tea. they just have more types of tea

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Oct 17, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lollontee posted:

you... did not. i told you i didn't know how you read my posts from two years back. you said it didnt matter, that i had to give a yes/no answer, and when i tried to explain my political position with regards to a loving ongoing political conflict, that what i believed was that it was likely that the CIA, in coordination with the Saudis and the turkish grey wolf neo-ottoman fascists, organized a jihadist insurgency in Xinjiang, you told me to evacuate in 18 hours.

and i know, america sponsoring islamists in a communist country? that like, almost never happens constantly.... but, you said these were beliefs that were incompatible with me having a home in goosefleet. i wonder if you realise what kind of decision that really is?

the only thing about my actual behavior you could point to were two posts on the discord from two months ago where i stated my opinions on NATO involvement in Ukraine, which some people like the ukraine stan guy whose name i forget got angry about, so i never talked about it ever again. and neither did anyone else, to my knowledge anyway

you made this a political affair, as you said the problem was my personal political beliefs. i don't really know how to describe what kind of problem an actively enforced political shibboleth is for an organization of internet spaceship nerds

but, i won eve already, so anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

azothoth explain yourself

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

fart simpson posted:

china also has 黑茶 which translates to black tea. they just have more types of tea

reminds me i gotta buy some more tea from https://verdanttea.com/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The key metric to look at with Japan is GDP per working age person. Japan went through a very large demographic shift where the population of retirees is proportionately now much larger than it was at the end of the golden era. The other concept to keep in mind is the consumption share of GDP. Japan's earlier growth model mean that capital investment was a higher share of GDP growth than consumption. Eventually this was going to have to reverse because the amount of productive capital investment opportunities will run out, and also an aging population will necessarily mean the population will shift more from saving to consumption.

So in conclusion, watch out for how demography affects GDP. There was also a thing where Americans had completely crazy ideas about how Japan was going to develop. Japan was ultimately a country the size of California with about 120m people. It's a big country with a lot of people but there was no plausible way it was going to actually exceed the US in terms of sheer economic size and heft. I don't know if Japanese people in Japan read the same crazy Tom Clancy/Bladerunner poo poo about how Japan was going to take over the world but I doubt it because that was just crazy projection by white people.

The Chinese government is well aware of this trajectory and are aligning the Chinese economy around it, so absolute GDP growth is going to fall as GDP is reallocated from capital investment to consumption. So real estate is going to go down, they explicitly said it would. But there's going to be breathless western commentary about how some bank in Henan failing is going to result in civil war.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh man, when did sexpig get permabanned

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

crepeface posted:

oh man, when did sexpig get permabanned

when he said dnd was moderated by nazis iirc

azathoth admitted it was a mistake but never took corrective action

copy
Jul 26, 2007

crepeface posted:

lol just dont post politics anywhere else but cspam and honestly probably not even here really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

crepeface posted:

lmao. brilliant