Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
P7 got here this morning, and maaaaan these security updates take forever to install.

My dbrand grip got here as well, feels great, got the glitch camo skin for that. I think the case is on back order til next month now, but I’m digging it.

One thing wouldn’t update, something called Android System WebView. Hopefully installing this security update and restarting takes care of that. Excited to play with this phone today.

e: turning off wifi caused the monthly security update to finish instantly on data if anybody else has issues with that.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

My Pixel 7 pro review

Smooth pixel experience, definite upgrade from pixel 6 pro, the refresh rate finally approaching my pc

The camera is even better, zoom is crazy good, night sight is very fast.

Most impressive is the cell signal
My office at work is in a metal siding shed in the middle of a metal sided building. In the past 5g was basically a ghost signal that would infinitely time out on page loads, so I'd force LTE on us cellular for better signal penetration.

Everything is loading great on auto FI switching and I hope it hammers my battery less throughout the day.

I'll edit this post for battery review at the end of the day, but poor signal really hammered my old phone to where I'd put it in airplane mode if I was gonna leave my phone for an hour or more. (I am not allowed wifi at work, special circumstances)

Thank you very much for this and I'm basically ready to pull the trigger, likely on black friday at this rate. Please share your battery thoughts when you can in more detail..

Also I have a stupid question, thread: The Play Store trade-in program is always available, right? It's not just a launch thing? I ask that because this is literally the first time ever that I haven't preordered the new Pixel, I'm waiting a bit this time for reviews.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I just pulled the trigger on the 7 Pro coming from a 4 XL. Given how little I paid for it due to carrier credit, if it's a slightly better than lateral transition it will still have been a no brainer for OS+security updates and a new battery.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Been using my P7P since mid-day Thursday and I love it. Camera is great, screen is great, face unlock combo-ed with a thumbprint scanner (and seemingly more accurate Smart Unlock) is great, battery is great. Still annoyed that photos sent to me over MMS weren't transferred, but I've still got my 4XL sitting around, so I can comb through and grab the ones I actually give a poo poo about. Also, the glossy black back might be the ugliest pixel finish yet, but I got it knowing I was going to immediately put a pink skin on it and toss it in a clear case, so that's no longer an issue

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thank you very much for this and I'm basically ready to pull the trigger, likely on black friday at this rate. Please share your battery thoughts when you can in more detail..

Also I have a stupid question, thread: The Play Store trade-in program is always available, right? It's not just a launch thing? I ask that because this is literally the first time ever that I haven't preordered the new Pixel, I'm waiting a bit this time for reviews.

Have you owned all the "flagship" models so far?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you owned all the "flagship" models so far?

Yup!

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
users weren't kidding about scrolling being messed up on the pixel 7 pro

my phone feels like it's making GBS threads itself whenever I scroll through anything

when is google addressing this?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Edit is not quote, that's a first.

I've had the P7pro since thur, and so far I'm at 71% in 9 hours, I still won't be home for 4.5 hours and two of those hours were on airplane mode because I was working in a no cell phone area anyway.

Wow I only had the pixel 6p like 9 months? The battery was getting down to 30% or less by the end of the work day.

I never watch video for long (at work), just reading, memes and short clips.

Final report 43%

my p6 would be below 30 maybe even 22% but it was also 9 months old.

P7p stayed on 5g most of the day and it actually worked, but it'll load forever and then receive in a flash instead of trickling in like LTE. 5g in my area kind of sucks.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 17, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

P7 got here this morning, and maaaaan these security updates take forever to install.

My dbrand grip got here as well, feels great, got the glitch camo skin for that. I think the case is on back order til next month now, but I’m digging it.

One thing wouldn’t update, something called Android System WebView. Hopefully installing this security update and restarting takes care of that. Excited to play with this phone today.

e: turning off wifi caused the monthly security update to finish instantly on data if anybody else has issues with that.

Update: turning off Auto Update Apps in the Play Store, closing it out and reopening it, then manually updating fixed my issue installing Android System WebView, fwiw.

Had a long work meeting this morning so I was able to install and log in to everything, and this phone is feeling pretty great. Excited to put a full charge on it to get the battery adapting going and try a phone call later to see if the modem gives me a better connection where I live than the 6a, which was pretty bad for call quality for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I'd be interested in hearing your best to worst experience of each. They've run quite a gauntlet since 2016. I've had the 1, 2, 3 (all non-XL), 5, and 6 (non-Pro). I skipped the 4 because its battery was smaller than the 3's and its battery life generally wasn't great from the start on that one, although the orange on black was a loving gorgeous aesthetic.

My 7 was due for collection today (but got delayed for some reason) and unless the mobile data battery life is dramatically better than the 6, it's going back.

I never considered myself a big phone guy, but within a few days of getting the 6, I got used to it and don't think I want a smaller screen again. The 5 felt massive to me until I forced myself to use the gesture navigation. I was a 3 button stalwart until I finally saw the light.

I've had the P7pro since thur, and so far I'm at 71% in 9 hours, I still won't be home for 4.5 hours and two of those hours were on airplane mode because I was working in a no cell phone area anyway.

Wow I only had the pixel 6p like 9 months? The battery was getting down to 30% or less by the end of the work day.

I never watch video for long (at work), just reading, memes and short clips.

See, having the phone on aeroplane mode would save a lot of battery, but I just want the mobile radios to stop draining my battery while sitting on my desk in work.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 17, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd be interested in hearing your best to worst experience of each. They've run quite a gauntlet since 2016. I've had the 1, 2, 3 (all non-XL), 5, and 6 (non-Pro). I skipped the 4 because its battery was smaller than the 3's and its battery life generally wasn't great from the start on that one, although the orange on black was a loving gorgeous aesthetic.

It's been a HUGE gauntlet, happy to share.

Overall, I actually think the best has been the 6 Pro. Not at all just because it's the latest, but because it's just so close so the vision, etc, that I think Google wanted. It's so close. That's why I want the 7 Pro because to me, it looks like they finally nailed it. I think I'd say the original Pixel XL is the next one, because that was such an awesome change at a time I was stuck on Samsung phones. The 3 XL was the worst, the stupid face unlock gimmick and no fingerprint sensor was so annoying. The Pixel 5 was also a big miss for me, because that was my first time not having a flagship phone and it just wasn't worth it for me and my personal preferences.

I want to hear as many real world/goon reports as possible about the 7 Pro, because I am ready to pull the trigger haha.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My 7 Pro has been pretty much flawless though I never really had a bad experience on my 6 Pro so I may not be the best to judge. My early fingerprint issues with the 7 seem to have gone away. I don't know if I adjusted or the phone did.

Next year, hopefully they shrink down to the 3nm Samsung process for the Tensor 3. I actually wonder if the 64 bit moves they are doing right now are giving hints at Tensor 3 as X2 cores and the newer A5xx and A7xx cores all lack 32 bit support. Qualcomm is actually nerfing the SD8 Gen 2 a bit to stand on their head to offer 32 bit support by using older little cores and splitting the mid cores between 64bit only and older ones that support 32 bit. If Google transitions to 64bit only for new hardware, they won't have to do that with the Tensor 3 design.

Actually, it's strange right now.

7 and 7 Pro are mostly issue free barring some nits that people are picking.
The Watch isn't a complete disaster. It's main issue is not offering a bigger size for larger wrists with a bigger battery. However, as much as reviews bellyache about battery life, the Pixel Watch is exactly where other 40-41mm smartwatches are. There are some refinements to make here, but not as much as was needed to go from Pixel 6 to Pixel 7. Offer a 44-46mm next year with a >500mAh battery and change the cover glass to Sapphire and it will be golden.
Pixel Buds Pro got their 5 band equalizer update which resolves the sole complaint that people had with them.
The Pixel Tablet so far has been met with a lot of excitement due to the docking system to make it a big home hub and with the new multitasking enhancements in 12L and 13 there's less "tablet app" whining.

Meanwhile in the other camp, Apple seems to be having an Android 12/Pixel 6 moment with iOS 16 and iPhone 14 Pro. 3rd party apps could damage the main camera at launch. People have been complaining of battery drain issues. Random bugs and instability has been popping up to the point where some have gone back to the 13 Pro and those that travel a lot have given the phone a complete skip due to the eSIM only configuration. Carriers (Verizon especially) have been falling flat on their face supporting eSIM and some have reported not having service for days on end after attempted switches.

Weird times folks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can always trade in afaik, but the trade in value may tank after this promotional period. Unsure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

You can always trade in afaik, but the trade in value may tank after this promotional period. Unsure.

Canadian trade-in value seems significantly worse anyways :(

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/10/07/google-store-canada-worse-trade-in-value/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixel Ultra confirmed????

https://twitter.com/Za_Raczke/status/1581774277346357248

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Heads up for anyone still looking for a P7 Pro- looks like best buy already has open box units for sale for $100 off retail ($790), and also include the $200 gift card and allow for trade-in on top that. Excellent condition open box from BB are basically new, in my experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh. It could just be a early test device for Tensor 3 and Pixel 8.

I can't really see what an "Ultra" would be at this point. What could they add to the Pixel 7 Pro to do ultra? They aren't going to move away from tensor.

I kinda like the "Pixel Mini" idea better if this really is an actual device. I doubt it though because of the camera configuration. There are two large sensor sizes there with GN1 and IMX787 and there's no way they would both fit in a smaller bodied device. We know nothing about the supposed IMX712 sensor (what size). So, it really feels like a camera test bed more than anything else. The IMX787 couldn't be used for periscope zoom due to the size (the sensor needs to be perpendicular to the lens.) So, if the IMX787 is a zoom lens, it would be like a 2x or 3x optical without a periscope lens. Possibly Google is experimenting with lower native optical with a high MP count large sensor and going on in on the super res zoom stuff.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Face Unblur is worth the price of upgrading alone. Such a great feature. I got a 1 year old daughter, and being able to go back into my library and Unblur pictures where she was moving is genuinely great.

Especially useful for front facing selfies when you're juggling baby and phone.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Because there were lots of complaints about ear fatigue from them.

Personally, instead of getting different buds, I would just go for aftermarket tips. Comply foam tips would probably keep them in place and there are a ton of other size and material options.

I picked up the Comply tips, so I'll see if that fixes it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

Face Unblur is worth the price of upgrading alone. Such a great feature. I got a 1 year old daughter, and being able to go back into my library and Unblur pictures where she was moving is genuinely great.

Especially useful for front facing selfies when you're juggling baby and phone.

It does work really well but I can't help but feel this is feature gatekeeping. Not that I think non-tensor2 devices could run it on device, but I don't understand why this couldn't be done server side.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
43% on pixel 7 pro after a fairly normal work day. (It's been 13 hours though) work has been really slow so I've been on it most of that time.
My Pixel 6 pro would be at 22%-30 but it was about 9 months old.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It does work really well but I can't help but feel this is feature gatekeeping. Not that I think non-tensor2 devices could run it on device, but I don't understand why this couldn't be done server side.

Yeah I'm with you, and it'll probably just move to Google Photos account access once it's no longer a selling feature of a new product, but regardless, it is affecting to see a blurry photo of a moment you enjoyed suddenly go much clearer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

43% on pixel 7 pro after a fairly normal work day. (It's been 13 hours though) work has been really slow so I've been on it most of that time.
My Pixel 6 pro would be at 22%-30 but it was about 9 months old.

This is excellent, thank you for sharing!!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Maaaaan, call clarity is so much better on the 7. They really did the 6 line dirty with that modem.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Maaaaan, call clarity is so much better on the 7. They really did the 6 line dirty with that modem.

Holy poo poo, going from the 4XL to the P7P, I can actually hear people if I'm in a noisy environment. It's wonderful (but I'm still using the "I can't hear you, this bar's too loud" excuse to get out of having to talk on the phone)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I kind of feel bad for anyone who is stuck on the 6 line. In hindsight it was a beta product that people paid full price for.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

huh the pixel 7 pro does some active camera OIS-jiggle voodoo if you use the AI zoom while the camera is fixed on a tripod/stand: https://petapixel.com/2022/10/17/something-is-strange-with-the-google-pixel-7-pros-zoom-processing/

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I was waffling on it, but I ended up ordering a 7 through the Google store, after they offered $275 in trade in for my (almost pristine) P3XL. Physically the phone is nearly perfect, but the back camera has been glitchy for a while, and occasionally I need to power cycle because wifi/Bluetooth stop working. I'm hoping neither of these issues will lessen my trade in value? They seemed mostly concerned if it turns on and isn't physically damaged.

Either way I need a new phone, but it was a tossup between taking a trade in through Google, or the $100 gift card and 5% back on Amazon. The trade in amount ended up sealing the deal for me.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I went from the Pixel 5 (a phone I love) to the Pixel 7 Pro and have to say everything is better - including much to my surprise the battery time! The camera is loving amazing and everything just comes across as more refined and smarter. I love the function that records your conversation, more than once I had to go back to a phone call and read what was said, making it a bit of a time saver.

That said, I've had a couple of odd bugs ... twice in the five days I've owned the phone the screen has become unresponsive. That is, I'll see the button press but nothing seems to happen. However, if I hit the power button to lock the phone and then unlock it I see that it has responded to my press, just wasn't showing it. The second is that the curved screen has made working with video fucky; my thumb or palm will sometimes bump the screen and I'll leap halfway through a movie to back to the beginning. I hate it.

Overall though it's a spectacular upgrade from the Pixel 5.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This might be a weird question, but I'm the oddball American who's transitioned to metric and the pixel 7 pro is stubbornly refusing to obey the "use Celsius" setting I tagged for weather under google assistant and keeps reverting back F. Is there a way to get it to obey this?

Likewise for my google wear watch.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

First day back at work with the P7 Pro; 10am-11pm, 4 hours SOT, 48% charge end of day. This is a solid 5-10% better than my S22 Ultra which I never really had battery anxiety over, so this is nice.

Also, major quality of life improvement: The Pixel seems to get a long with my work wifi much more than the Samsung. With the samsung, I'd constantly be losing my connection to the network here which required me to login on a captive portal. I'd have to do this probably 10 times a day. Happened 3 times with the Pixel. Because of this, wifi calling was a lot more reliable. This may be a contributing factor for the surprising battery life as the Pixel was not falling back onto the cell connection as often as the Samsung. I work in a large hospital and the T-mobile service here is spotty to non-existent. Overall, a good day.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

lynx? pixel mini confirmed

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there an alternate bluetooth driver or app that I can install to stop it from switching the active bluetooth device while I am listening to music? Pixel 6 if that matters. I know it is intended behavior but it's the opposite of what I want. I just want it to stay on my headphones even if I happen to walk by the stereo bluetooth connector.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vim Fuego posted:

Is there an alternate bluetooth driver or app that I can install to stop it from switching the active bluetooth device while I am listening to music? Pixel 6 if that matters. I know it is intended behavior but it's the opposite of what I want. I just want it to stay on my headphones even if I happen to walk by the stereo bluetooth connector.

Turn multipoint off I think

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, I believe what's happening is the stereo is ill behaved and always trying to connect whenever it's powered on. There's not really any way to deal with that other than unpair the stereo. The stereo is basically shouting "MINE!!" all the time and when the phone hears it, it complies. There's not really any setting that says "ignore incoming connection requests."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

bull3964 posted:

No, I believe what's happening is the stereo is ill behaved and always trying to connect whenever it's powered on. There's not really any way to deal with that other than unpair the stereo. The stereo is basically shouting "MINE!!" all the time and when the phone hears it, it complies. There's not really any setting that says "ignore incoming connection requests."

Yeah, the stereo bluetooth is long range and aggressive. It's powered by a wall wart and is always on. Maybe I'll put a power switch on it.

I just can't believe there's no hack to be able to say "ignore incoming bluetooth requests while transmitting to an active bluetooth device"

I understand that's not the standard. That the standard is the phone should grab whatever device asks. But that's bad!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, the stereo bluetooth is long range and aggressive. It's powered by a wall wart and is always on. Maybe I'll put a power switch on it.

I just can't believe there's no hack to be able to say "ignore incoming bluetooth requests while transmitting to an active bluetooth device"

I understand that's not the standard. That the standard is the phone should grab whatever device asks. But that's bad!

why is it asking constantly, I feel like there's something going on that's too subtle for me to pick up from your posts, are you saying this thing is broadcasting a "connect to me now" signal at all times and just stealing peripherals?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It's a $20 bluetooth thingy that outputs a stereo signal through audio wires. It's plugged into the stereo receiver. It is constantly stealing my phone's bluetooth connection from e.g. headphones. Its range extends through the entire house. I suspect it may be more aggressive than it should be because it's cheap. But other than this issue it's fine so I'm not going to replace it.

It taking over the connection may be triggered if I go out of range then return, but I can't really tell. It happens when I am in the same room, another room, outside, or the basement.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I've got a bluetooth bed headband that operates the same way. If I forget to turn it off in the morning, and leave its range and re-enter it, 90% of the time, it will grab the connection and steal the audio from my Pixel Buds pro.

Also sometimes it will just happen with no warning. It's kind of annoying because the Pixel Buds have no "Switch the active bluetooth connection to me" operation after their initial connection, and as far as I know, no way to disconnect other than waiting, putting them back in their case, orusing the phone, so I'll have to fish the phone out and change it on the notification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Stevie Lee posted:

lynx? pixel mini confirmed

I'd trade my 7 in for a 5-sized pixel mini in a heartbeat