Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

BioEnchanted posted:

Also most calorie indicators aren't speaking in actual calories but kilocalories, so that might be skewing things. At least I think that's the case.

Food calories or "large calories" got retroactively renamed to kilocalories in like 1900 but not everyone was on the same page and the actual 1/1000 small calories were replaced by joules so now kilocalorie = calorie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Sitting in the airport seeing 2 ladies take up 5 seats between themselves and and just thinking of all the public twiiter outrage about manspreading and "aggressive use of public space".

Like I get if you're a lady by yourself, between COVID and weird dudes, i get wanting to put a buffer on place, but sitting in the middle of a 3 seat gap is a poo poo move no matter how you slice it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There needs to be more spots in public that are just designated "stand here if you don't want to be in anyone's way" spots.

Literally anyplace I stop moving for more than a moment, even if it's seemingly unrelated to desirable goods or services, I end up in someone's way. Why are they there? What are they doing? Doesn't matter, what matters is it's behind me.

It even happens at home. Today my whole family was downstairs, and I go upstairs to get changed. I'm standing in front of the closet picking out a shirt, and my wife appears behind me. "I need to get the screwdriver in the basket in the closet."
What the gently caress? Why is there a screwdriver in a basket in the closet? Why do you need it Now? Why when I'm here? What the gently caress :negative:

I just want to cease my endless dodging dance

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

There needs to be more spots in public that are just designated "stand here if you don't want to be in anyone's way" spots.

Literally anyplace I stop moving for more than a moment, even if it's seemingly unrelated to desirable goods or services, I end up in someone's way. Why are they there? What are they doing? Doesn't matter, what matters is it's behind me.

It even happens at home. Today my whole family

Excuse me, I just need to scooch past to read the next post.

Brawnfire posted:

was downstairs, and I go upstairs to get changed. I'm standing in front of the closet picking out a shirt, and my wife appears behind me. "I need to get the screwdriver in the basket in the closet."
What the gently caress? Why is there a screwdriver in a basket in the closet? Why do you need it Now? Why when I'm here? What the gently caress :negative:

I just want to cease my endless dodging dance

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ope!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm moving to a place with a fractional address and have discovered that an astounding number of sites handle them in really boneheaded ways.

*Enters address*
"Select a matching address from the list below"
*Clicks on address that is character-for-character identical to what I just typed*
"Addresses may only contain alphanumeric characters"
:confused:

Even better is when characters silently get stripped out and they try to ship things to a non-existent five digit house number. Meanwhile, everyone that wants to send me junk mail catalogs figured out my new address on their own within a few days.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

Dip Viscous posted:

Meanwhile, everyone that wants to send me junk mail catalogs figured out my new address on their own within a few days.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
btw in the US there's a trick to getting taken off any mailing list:

complain to the post office that the junk mail is making you too horny

no, really, that's the law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

It was originally just 'you can stop any mailers that are sexually suggestive', and the court ruled that due to the first amendment, the USPS cannot legally decide whether or not something SHOULD make you horny, and if you claim it they have to prohibit it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The only explanation is the landlord immediately selling my personal info because nobody else could know at this point but I'm going to try that post office thing. I'm definitely never going to be buying a $4000 crossbow or a gyroplane.

Edit: for clarity, junkmail in my name started within four days of me signing the lease, me trying to have bed frames and stuff shipped to the new address is the past couple of days.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Oct 17, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sell your landlord's personal info to spammers and you'll be equal.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm moving to a place with a fractional address and have discovered that an astounding number of sites handle them in really boneheaded ways.

*Enters address*
"Select a matching address from the list below"
*Clicks on address that is character-for-character identical to what I just typed*
"Addresses may only contain alphanumeric characters"
:confused:

Even better is when characters silently get stripped out and they try to ship things to a non-existent five digit house number. Meanwhile, everyone that wants to send me junk mail catalogs figured out my new address on their own within a few days.

Lol I currently live in an ADU/Mother in law unit that the owners started renting out and just kinda 'gave' it a X.5 address. I had to call up to get every single one of my utilities set up as the web forms insisted this address doesn't exist. And, it kinda doesn't yet I do have my own power drop and water meter thanks to years of them renting this place.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

I understand that you want to vent about your roommate's new girlfriend not putting the seat down before flushing the toilet in the bathroom that you and only you actually put any effort into cleaning, and I'm here for you for that, but I don't want to keep hearing you vent about it for the entire length of their relationship because you can't even consider pointing out to her that you'd prefer she put the seat down before flushing since you're the one that cleans the bathroom.

The person in question that isn't putting the seat down insists that visitors to her place immediately wash their hands on arriving, so this is clearly fair game as something to insist on. It's only gonna get weirder the longer it takes, like bring it up now before it comes out in a fight that only happens because you've been stewing on this the whole time when she's got no idea!

gently caress this is frustrating as hell!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Do they have some kind of jet engine toilet that mists and/or sprays whatever's in there every time they flush? Also, how do they know what she does first? So many questions about this person's roommate's girlfriend's bathroom habits!

My pet peeve: I've let my Kaspersky sub lapse for a variety of reasons and I've received at least 12 e-mails saying it's my last chance to save by renewing. It also seems like you can't unsubscribe from those e-mails because technically they're related to my billing so off to the spam folder they go.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

God, I hate 'You're going to use this the way I designed and gently caress you for not wanting to' design. I just want a browser to go 'fullscreen' on android, without android's status bar, and without the address bar.
Had to download an app and run a adb command to get a shortcut that can push chrome into immersive mode, which hides the status bar. But chrome's obnoxiously huge address bar still pops in the moment you start scrolling a bit upwards.

Why is it that there's just no alternate options, advanced settings, etc for power users? Why can't I customize how the largest/most used browser works on android?
I just want something like 'drag down while at top of screen to pull down address bar', or some kind of customization of the behavior. But even just a basic rear end fullscreen button would fix my issue, like how it is on pc.

But no, the more developed and the more polished these apps get, the more they drop into the hole of 'a design group decided that this is how you're supposed to interact with it, and this is how it's going to be until we suddenly change it, and force you into the new system.'
It's beyond baffling how you basically never get any choice, don't like the way to set the time in your clock app? gently caress off, install a different one if you want anything changed (Which then gets battery-optimized and doesn't fire off correctly when you need it.), etc etc.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SubNat posted:

God, I hate 'You're going to use this the way I designed and gently caress you for not wanting to' design. I just want a browser to go 'fullscreen' on android, without android's status bar, and without the address bar.
Had to download an app and run a adb command to get a shortcut that can push chrome into immersive mode, which hides the status bar. But chrome's obnoxiously huge address bar still pops in the moment you start scrolling a bit upwards.

Why is it that there's just no alternate options, advanced settings, etc for power users? Why can't I customize how the largest/most used browser works on android?
I just want something like 'drag down while at top of screen to pull down address bar', or some kind of customization of the behavior. But even just a basic rear end fullscreen button would fix my issue, like how it is on pc.

But no, the more developed and the more polished these apps get, the more they drop into the hole of 'a design group decided that this is how you're supposed to interact with it, and this is how it's going to be until we suddenly change it, and force you into the new system.'
It's beyond baffling how you basically never get any choice, don't like the way to set the time in your clock app? gently caress off, install a different one if you want anything changed (Which then gets battery-optimized and doesn't fire off correctly when you need it.), etc etc.

Turns out more options lets people break poo poo, which leads to more calls to tech support and higher costs for the company.

No, really.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

They're perfectly happy with going 'we redesigned x, no you can't use it the old way anymore' which probably generates a bunch of support issues as well.

Either way, it's just really goddamn frustrating.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SubNat posted:

They're perfectly happy with going 'we redesigned x, no you can't use it the old way anymore' which probably generates a bunch of support issues as well.

Either way, it's just really goddamn frustrating.

:agreed:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

People who walk dogs on retractable leashes who don’t do anything to bring in their dog when they start to go after someone or another dog, and let them keep pulling out on the leash.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

When did people decide that apps should aggressively nag us to use them?

I just deleted Duolingo because it popped up a notification that read "Duo says go!". gently caress you you UX designer piece of poo poo. I hope you are violently blinded and your caretaker aggressively nags you to poo poo in the toilet instead of on the floor.

Putting me in the position of even making the decision to obey a picture of a cartoon owl

gently caress you!!!

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Oct 17, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Duolingo is an app you download because you want to learn something, and the best way to learn is to do a bit every day. Its entire purpose is to nag you so that you do the thing you have explicitly downloaded an app to do.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I decide when I duo

I decide when I lingo

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

I decide when I duo

I decide when I lingo

you don't have to uninstall you can just mute the notifications

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I decide when I duo

I decide when I lingo

or you could just stick to learning whatever language you were learning.

Duo expected better of you, Hoyden. Duo weeps into his pillow in disappointment because he knows your true potential. Duo just wants you to learn.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Duo can judge me when he's not claiming to jizz in Katy Perry's face!!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I don’t even want to know.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bargearse posted:

I don’t even want to know.
too fuckin bad

https://twitter.com/duolingo/status/1580217852635754496

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Well, that certainly is a thing that I've seen with my eyeballs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I just deleted Duolingo because it popped up a notification that read "Duo says go!". gently caress you you UX designer piece of poo poo. I hope you are violently blinded and your caretaker aggressively nags you to poo poo in the toilet instead of on the floor.
I do want Duolingo to pop up a daily reminder that I can dismiss once I've done it. That's helpful.

I wish violent death upon those stupid loving cartoon mascots it uses to do it though. gently caress every single one of them. They could not be more perfectly designed to piss me off.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There are only two ways I read text when it uses numbers in place of words because they're homophones: it's either meant to be a cute old timey grandma thing or something exceptionally silly like 2FAST2FURIOUS. There's no legitimate middle ground, no neutral place where you can replace a word with a number and it not be assumed to be a joke or hyperbolic in some way.

Like, for example, not that I think something called Cash For Gold sounds like a legitimate business, but Cash4Gold sounds like a credit card scam bot.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

credburn posted:

There are only two ways I read text when it uses numbers in place of words because they're homophones: it's either meant to be a cute old timey grandma thing or something exceptionally silly like 2FAST2FURIOUS. There's no legitimate middle ground, no neutral place where you can replace a word with a number and it not be assumed to be a joke or hyperbolic in some way.

Like, for example, not that I think something called Cash For Gold sounds like a legitimate business, but Cash4Gold sounds like a credit card scam bot.

Agreed. Its not hard to type whole words.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's more than two (2) options.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Manager Hoyden posted:

Duo can judge me when he's not claiming to jizz in Katy Perry's face!!

Today's word is "bukkake", let's see an example!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

There's more than two (2) options.

Can't go too high effort or we might look like we care

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You're right, and we're far too (2) cool for (4) that

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

accumulating a significant amount of gold with no concept that it's possible to sell it

how many people could this market be

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It feels like some grade A bullshit that alcohol-free beers and wines are
  1. just, or almost, as expensive as the regular kind, and
  2. not even low-calorie

If it's going to cost me just as much and still make me fat, I'll stick with the standard kind because at least they also make me drunk. Come on, alcohol-free; you've got to bring something to the table.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

2. not even low-calorie

If it's going to cost me just as much and still make me fat, I'll stick with the standard kind because at least they also make me drunk. Come on, alcohol-free; you've got to bring something to the table.

Do any of them actually taste good?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Do any of them actually taste good?

I find the beers are generally ok. The types of beers I particularly like aren't available alcohol-free so it's hard to make a fair comparison, but if I just want a cool drink on a hot afternoon, they'll do. Personally I'd take an alcohol-free beer over something like soft-drink or juice, because I don't generally care for sweet drinks.

The fake spirits are terrible though, as you'd probably expect. When alcohol is such a major part of the flavour, there's really no way to do without it. So instead you just get perfumy water.

I've only tried one alcohol-free wine and it was basically watered-down fruit juice. Don't know if the others are like that or if it was just a bad example.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

2. not even low-calorie

Shouldn't you look for a low calorie beer then instead of an alcohol free one?
The alcohol-free one is when I want to join my mates for a round of beers after work but still be able to drive home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Why not just drink a soda in that case?

Alcohol-free beer tastes like an insult to beer.