Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

hope all of you rice hoarders have anti weevil measures in place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

My friend told me that he learned in class that the shrimp farms that operate around the PNW have had to take measures these last couple years to fix the PH in their pens or else all the shrimp die.

Cool, cool.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Wheany posted:

There is an old post by some finnish prepper who filled their sauna with sugar. It never goes bad, it's super energy dense, you can use it to barter and you can even ferment it into sugar wine

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have 50 pounds of rice stashed in various old pickle jars, coffee cans, stuffed animals, the casings of electronics, and other such places throughout my house/buried on the property. What's the point of stockpiling if one little group of marauders is just going to find all your apocalypse supplies with five minutes of light ransacking?? Rice doesn't go bad, it's a forever food, and it's going to take you forever to find all my rice, so you may as well move on to easier pickings, boyos.

screenshotting this for the twitter account that posts crazy poo poo from sa

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, that was dumb of him. Now we know what to expect when we raid their place!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
gently caress yeah another record breaking day

https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-reaches-latest-80-degree-day-to-date

quote:

Over the weekend Seattle broke a heat record, reaching 80 degrees in the latest day in a calender year to date.

Another fire also just flared up just east of the city. lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Big fire northeast of Portland too out near Camas

Saw that apparently Salem hit 92(?!?) yesterday

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

hope all of you rice hoarders have anti weevil measures in place

Yes I have tarps

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Wheany posted:

All my furniture is made out of either chocolate or cake. I have a single 5kg bag of rice in the pantry as a diversion.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hexigrammus posted:

Only North Americans could believe that if you eat the same food day after day you'll go anorexic and starve yourself to death.
North America had a pellagra epidemic in the early 1900s.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

everybody needs to try growing their own food because there's a psychological benefit to it. the first time you eat a tomato off your own vine you will be like "i can sustenance farm my way out of anything! i am the earth!". even if that's not quite true, it's empowering and good for your mental health. plus it helps you understand your own role as a tiny working part in an enormous, terrifying mechanism.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wheany posted:

There is an old post by some finnish prepper who filled their sauna with sugar. It never goes bad, it's super energy dense, you can use it to barter and you can even ferment it into sugar wine

It'd be worth having on hand, but you don't want to have sugar as your main source of calories. Not unless you want post apocalyptic diabetes, anyway. Sounds like a bad time to me.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Mr. Lobe posted:

It'd be worth having on hand, but you don't want to have sugar as your main source of calories. Not unless you want post apocalyptic diabetes, anyway. Sounds like a bad time to me.
finns have an alien biology

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

lmao

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Snohomish more like go home bish

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Big fire northeast of Portland too out near Camas

Saw that apparently Salem hit 92(?!?) yesterday

It jumped the fire line. If the onshore flow doesn't start soon, it could get REALLY bad.

Edit: linked the evacuation map.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/19ce354ba5854fd1850e5aca55e4c534

Failson has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Oct 17, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Luneshot posted:

my plan is to hope things will be okay even as they are very clearly getting worse

How did you get a copy of my plan???

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In a secret cavity under a floorboard under a rug under my bed is a bright red folder labeled EMERGENCY PROCEDURES in big bold block letters and inside is just a single piece of white paper on which is printed in 10 pt Comic Sans "hope things get better?? I dunno lol"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

brown rice goes bad

Does jasmine rice go bad? For the post-apocalypse I want to have at least a small stockpile of it to sweeten up the local Warlord when he chooses me for The Hunt

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Oct 17, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does jasmine rice go bad? For the post-apcocalypse I want to have at least a small stockpile of it to sweeten up the local Warlord when he chooses me for The Hunt

White rice of any kind keeps for decades under the right conditions. Brown rice contains oils that rancidify within a year or two.

Obtain mylar bags and oxygen removers, and a sturdy outer container to house the bags.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

FFT posted:

North America had a pellagra epidemic in the early 1900s.

None of these deficiency diseases are solved by having a large horde of chocolate bars, hard candy, and saltine crackers. If they are then I'd have to admit these preppers I've been mocking are on to something and I can't have that.

I read an account by an early colonist/homesteader in B.C.'s Peace River district and the preparations necessary to survive winter in the bush up there, A ton of flour and two tons of sugar were on the list. No idea if the flour in the 1920s would have been bleached. Beans were notably absent. At least moose were abundant although I doubt even the Scottish settlers were doing the sensible thing and using the stomach contents in sausage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr. Lobe posted:

Obtain mylar bags and oxygen removers,

We aren't trying to kill Godzilla

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gripweed posted:

We aren't trying to kill Godzilla

Look, I'm just trying to be prepped here, ok? And if at any point humanity was cruising for nature's wrath to manifest itself as an avatar...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You talking about pellagra just makes me want to try mock apple pie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a50260/ritz-mock-apple-pie-recipe/

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

None of these deficiency diseases are solved by having a large horde of chocolate bars, hard candy, and saltine crackers. If they are then I'd have to admit these preppers I've been mocking are on to something and I can't have that.

I read an account by an early colonist/homesteader in B.C.'s Peace River district and the preparations necessary to survive winter in the bush up there, A ton of flour and two tons of sugar were on the list. No idea if the flour in the 1920s would have been bleached. Beans were notably absent. At least moose were abundant although I doubt even the Scottish settlers were doing the sensible thing and using the stomach contents in sausage.

:barf:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/kseattleweather/status/1581833261093122050

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

https://twitter.com/AcabJackson/status/1581841618637725696

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Today is the first day since April with a high below 80. I am unspeakably excited

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Today is the first day since April with a high below 80. I am unspeakably excited

Same here in Texas. Looking at the temp history on Wunderground and lol at the entire month of June being basically 100 degrees. It gets so hot and dry here people have to water their house's foundation to keep them from cracking, I probably almost died a few times trying to kayak and jog in 114 degree "feels like" temps. Physically preparing my body for the Hotpocolypse

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol that "smoke" is a cloud coverage option

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SchrodingersCat posted:

I have 30 pounds of flour waiting to get properly sealed and placed into my freezer. I'm going to start collecting canned goods and whatnot but, hell, what do you do if things get bad enough that you are looking at permanent food shortages and inability to grow?

I'm hoping to get a battery solar system on my house in the next 2-3 years, hopefully poo poo holds together that long at least.

if permanent shortages start you either survive until enough people die to even out demand or you get killed by raiders. it is unlikely north america will see this happen since it will have arable land longer and see new land open up in Canada (that needs to be massively enginnered to actually grow food) so some kind of staples will be around and likely prevent mass food riots and the like.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if permanent shortages start you either survive until enough people die to even out demand or you get killed by raiders. it is unlikely north america will see this happen since it will have arable land longer and see new land open up in Canada (that needs to be massively enginnered to actually grow food) so some kind of staples will be around and likely prevent mass food riots and the like.

Yeah, there will still be price shocks for north Americans, and likely periods of rationing. Having something squirreled away is smart for that reason

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

permanent shortages = you're hosed. it'd be a good idea to get some food safe storage buckets and keep dry goods on hand but it's not going to do much in a collapse situation. while we're going there though, there's going to be periods of panic buying, supplies stopping and starting back up, intermittent shortages, and the buffer will help with those

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
imo figure out how you could get through a major natural disaster like a hurricane that cuts you off from the wider world for days or several weeks

That's about the high water mark for survivable situations and being prepared for that will also get you through anything else you're imagining will happen. Preparing for more long-term situations is pointless not just because you probably won't make it, but also because you probably can't predict what those scenarios will look like.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The actual single best thing you can do to prepare for tough times is be friends with your neighbors.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The actual single best thing you can do to prepare for tough times is be friends with your neighbors.

and, buy screws

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Yeah but my neighbours all want to kill me with covid

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My neighbors all think anybody existing outside of their own yard is antifa come to take their guns and staple a mask to their face. Several of them have those expensive German shepherds bred and trained to protect your family. One of them is a cop that moved in and built a cop compound with goats and sheep and a shooting range and a flag pole with the snake flag.
Another one installed an 8 foot fence entirely around their house including a gate across the driveway that they have to get out and open every time they leave or come home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
While it's true that making connections is the best plan for disaster, it sure would be useful if one of your neighbors had stockpiled food or supplies.

For years racist conservative preppers have stockpiled food. Since they are bad people, goons think everything they do must be bad by transitive property. So every time stockpiling is brought up, there is a rush to point out how useless and suspect it is and that really you need to build connections with your community. Completely ignoring that you have to have plenty of something before you can share it with others. Obviously you build community and also stockpile what you can.