Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its sick. SS arc so good. A lot of cool fights that have dramatic weight and narrative importance, which Bleach isn't really able to accomplish again.

It'll still have cool fights but with less weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Renji may be a loser that never does anything interesting or fun after his first arc but his fight with Byakuya is genuinely one of my favourite parts of the comic so I will always respect him.

Yeah, I loved that little bit of bookends where he’s introduced boasting about how great he is before he immediately getting hit by Ichigo (to make the audience think Ichigo actually has a fighting chance), and then he flips the script on Byakuya near the end of the SS arc to once again make you think that he has a chance of putting up a good fight.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Renji goes from jobber to announcing himself as the wrestling heel and defeating the baby face. Show me a better character arc, I dare you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Doc Fission posted:

• The lore creep is pretty funny tbh. Rukia tells ghosts IT'S FINE YOU'RE GOING TO SOUL SOCIETY YOU'LL BE HAPPY THERE (smash cut to 50 chapters later where you learn you can be simultaneously famished and a peasant and dead)

In fairness, going to soul society does mean that they retain or get their bodies back and remain individuals, compared to the alternative of becoming an eternally hungering monster with good odds of just being subsumed into a mindless beast or overwhelmed by a stronger spirit or outright obliterated from existence and whatever cycle of rebirth exists. It is probably the best outcome from a human's perspective.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

NikkolasKing posted:

The Visoreds were the best, most squandered thing in all of Bleach. I loved Shinji and Hiyori's introduction, even though I'm not at all sure how Shinji looked young enough to get into Ichigo's high school....

Have you seen Chad

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bleach was so good back in the SS arc that I still remember how mad I was when Uryu lost the fight after sacrificing everything.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was a draw, but Mayuri is a loving creep and monster so him going “well I’m super hosed up but also I’ve modified myself so that I can just become a slime guy and go into my healing vat to not die and come back eventually” might as well have been a total loss on the level of Chad versus that other captain. How desperate can they possibly have been for R&D people?

I haven’t watched the anime but making sure they cast the Frieza voice actor for him was a brilliant move, incidentally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Uryu won that fight and it was cool

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Uryu unambiguously won that fight, got the antidote from Nemu and then immediately proceeded to eat poo poo against Tousen, who was still incredibly cool and good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And then Kenpachi fought Blind Man and Dog Man and came out on fuckin' top.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kenpachi fuckin' rules.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I always wondered did Kubo plan for Unohana to be the first Kenpachi all along and that's why people would comically freak out when she was around or did he come up with the gag first and then go "what if?"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I always wondered did Kubo plan for Unohana to be the first Kenpachi all along and that's why people would comically freak out when she was around or did he come up with the gag first and then go "what if?"

I think it was pretty early on that they did the usual power level diagrams thing and she was way up there for combat ability, so it probably was a fairly long term thing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And then Kenpachi fought Blind Man and Dog Man and came out on fuckin' top.

When he lets the sword impale him and then grabs it

Kenpachi fuckin' rules.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The best part of the Quincy arc was when, while all the other captains are getting their bankais stolen and their asses beat by the Giga Quincies, Kenpachi strolls up after having personally killed 3 of them, completely unaffected because 1) he doesn't do bankais and 2) he's super loving strong.

The worst part of the Quincy arc is when Kenpachi is immediately curbstomped by (fake) YWACH to show what a huge threat (fake) YWACH is so Yamamoto can curbstomp (fake) YWACH to show off how strong Yamamoto is so (real) YWACH can curbstomp Yamamoto to show how strong (real) YWACH is so Ichibei can curbstomp (real) YWACH to show how strong Ichibei is so (fully awoken real) YWACH can curbstomp Ichibei to show how strong (fully awoken real) YWACH is so (fully awoken real) YWACH can destroy Ichigo's true bankai to- wait, what?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just so loving funny how up and down the morale of #TeamShinigami goes and it makes the manga appear like it has mood swings.

"Oh no, we're dying!"

Kenpachi appears and someone (I think Kyoraku or whatever) is like, gently caress yeah, we got a Kenpachi.

Kenpach is immediately beaten, poo poo's grim again.

Yamamoto appears and the Shinigamis are like, you guys are hosed, the old man is angry.

Yamamoto kills (fake) YWACH and then (real) YWACH appears and steals Yamamoto's bankai and kills Yamamoto.

Oh god we're doomed, our only hope is Ichigo!

Ichigo finally breaks free from J for Jail's powers, comes out, kills a Quincy without a second glance, everything's hopeful, the hero's here!

Ichigo's sword is broken and the Quincies decide to go away.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Reading through the manga from the beginning, I’m wondering if Kubo had also had the “Isshin is an ex-soul reaper” twist in mind all along, considering how… incongruous some of his early characterization is with that in mind.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think so, since Byakuya (and other characters?) think Ichigo sure does look a lot like Kaien Shiba. Some sort of family connection to the Shinigami is set up early.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think a lot of shonen manga is about just sorta coming up with ideas as you go along but Isshin being a former Soul Reaper feels like the sort of thing that was part of the plan from the beginning.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So, umm, am I gonna get an explanation on how that plays out later wrt Ichigo’s dad literally being a ghost? Is he in one of those spare bodies the soul reapers use for high school slice of life shenanigans and those are just 1:1 human replicas?

Also, far, far, far more importantly, is Ichigo ever gonna do that coolass move his shadow persona version did with whipping Zangetzu around like a chain sickle or should I just resign myself to disappointment.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Last Celebration posted:

So, umm, am I gonna get an explanation on how that plays out later wrt Ichigo’s dad literally being a ghost? Is he in one of those spare bodies the soul reapers use for high school slice of life shenanigans and those are just 1:1 human replicas?

Also, far, far, far more importantly, is Ichigo ever gonna do that coolass move his shadow persona version did with whipping Zangetzu around like a chain sickle or should I just resign myself to disappointment.

1. The Quincy arc explains it.

2. It's Bleach, what do you think? (A: No.)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I feel like he does it once, but maybe it was filler.

I really wanted him to realize that was the right way to use it but he's just a boring butthole.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Finished the SS arc and yeah, as of the beginning of the Arrancar arc the series is beginning to slip. I know it gets much worse from here too, unfortunately. Between Ishida's dad, the Isshin reveal and Urahara and Yoruichi just showing up in places, the dramatic rescue rate goes up too high and simply does not show any sign of stopping.

That no one really questions in the SS arc until the last second why they're using a 20-story-tall ghost guillotine to murder what is essentially an itinerant worker is pretty funny.

It's much easier to see the endgame couples in retrospect too. Most of this is how KT has clearly no interest in writing romantic chemistry, but Renji and Rukia are clearly extremely at ease with each other from the outset. They feel like an established couple from basically the second Renji shows up to carry her off from the ghost guillotine.

Shinji is a great character, or at least fun to look at.

Can't believe I have 400 more chapters of this

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Reading through the manga from the beginning, I’m wondering if Kubo had also had the “Isshin is an ex-soul reaper” twist in mind all along, considering how… incongruous some of his early characterization is with that in mind.

Isshin could tell something was up when Kon was in Ichigo's body during the Grand Fisher fight so very likely something was always intended, yeah.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Doc Fission posted:

Finished the SS arc and yeah, as of the beginning of the Arrancar arc the series is beginning to slip. I know it gets much worse from here too, unfortunately. Between Ishida's dad, the Isshin reveal and Urahara and Yoruichi just showing up in places, the dramatic rescue rate goes up too high and simply does not show any sign of stopping.

That no one really questions in the SS arc until the last second why they're using a 20-story-tall ghost guillotine to murder what is essentially an itinerant worker is pretty funny.

It's much easier to see the endgame couples in retrospect too. Most of this is how KT has clearly no interest in writing romantic chemistry, but Renji and Rukia are clearly extremely at ease with each other from the outset. They feel like an established couple from basically the second Renji shows up to carry her off from the ghost guillotine.

Shinji is a great character, or at least fun to look at.

Can't believe I have 400 more chapters of this

There are still a lot of cool fights and fun stories coming!

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So today's episode... God drat them for leaving off right there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjeR7vUrDvM

They still got it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ArctheNomad posted:

So today's episode... God drat them for leaving off right there.

bleach is back, baby

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

The best part of the Quincy arc was when, while all the other captains are getting their bankais stolen and their asses beat by the Giga Quincies, Kenpachi strolls up after having personally killed 3 of them, completely unaffected because 1) he doesn't do bankais and 2) he's super loving strong.

It's even funnier when we later find out that the quincies he faced were Q, the Question, whose power makes you have an existential crisis and R, the Roar, who just shouts really loud and ended up drowning Qs power

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Absolute banger

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
When you remember that there are 26 Sternritter

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Petition to change thread title to

The new Bleach OP is good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's a real good op and in a weaker season it'd probably be a top 3 or even #1 but goddamn fall 2022 has had nothing but bangers

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Where's the missing sternritter (letter N if I recall)

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

N for Nothere

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I forgot much Opie sucks

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

N is the guy that looks like Commissioner Gordon, right? Isn't that him in front of the guy with the cornrows?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah that's him. He's also one of the handful of Quincy who, at least in the manga, we never learn what his ability is besides that for his neutral special, he wields a gun. IIRC he gets absorbed by Yhwach to power up the guys fighting the royal guard before he gets to actually do anything besides shoot Shunsui's eye out.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

SalTheBard posted:

I forgot much Opie sucks

Both him and Anthony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
watching the first few minutes of the new episode right now and

wtf am i even watching

this is the arc even fans were divided about

they really didn't have to go this hard

Bleach is, I dare say, good.