Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

psyker revolver was the best feeling gun in the demo, tho the ogryn shotgun came close with that meaty thump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sometimes i would fartblast nothing but the air around me if it was off cooldown and i needed a quick peril quell

also in the game warhammer 40k: darktide i would use the psyker's ability just as a free clear of my overheat meter

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I appreciate the way hit registration changes between hitting body shots, armored sections, and crit spots. The big meaty crunch you get from lasgunning soldiers in the head was so powerful sounding I assumed it meant I was gibbing them in one crit shot until I starting playing higher difficulty levels and noticed otherwise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Can't be more wrong on both counts. The sharpshooter ability is literally Wallhacks and a damage boost with like a 40% uptime, and the revolver is the Vermintide handgun with 5 shots a reload. Both are absolutely amazing and demolish elites and specials.

If anything, the one ability I don't like is the ogryn one when compared to the zealot, but that's a relatively minor gripe in the grand scope of things. It's probably a failing of the beta, but the ogryn only having access to two melee and two ranged weapons was kind of a bummer. I hope he gets a bit more variety in the live game especially when you've got a fairly large pool of shared weapons between all the other characters. I want ogryn thunder hammer damnit. I don't care what the tech priest says.

Compiled list by some random but it mentioned that ogryns have power claws confirmed.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Supposedly regular bolters aren't going in the game but somebody is getting the Heavy Bolter and I can only assume thats ogryn.

(comes from an interview with one of the devs, but one thats a bit old now)

I hope the hotshot lasgun is in and it functions exactly like the enemy version does because that just seems like it'd be a lot of fun.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

bagrada posted:

Did anyone else get stuck in the elevator on the assassination mission? It happened to us twice on Sunday. The door you came in closes, there's a scan, then the lights go green and should open instantly, but if it bugs out the rear door closes then nothing happens. We've sat in there for 5+ minutes and it's funny when enemies start warping through the walls to attack you. Our psyker blew himself up spawning tied up ahead and saw the enemies still sitting around but the doors stayed shut. We had to quit out. I was able to report it the first time as the game crashed when I closed it, but I forgot the second as it was late and we wanted to get another game in.

I had that happen as well though only once

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

boredsatellite posted:

I had that happen as well though only once

We had it happen once as well.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am annoyed that the lasgun appears to have a lot of ammo but then uses multiple (3?) per shot. Like just give me less ammo and make it 1:1 this is all very annoying. Oh yes but hotshots and longlas and blah blah, no one cares make every gun a 1:1 ammo to trigger pull setup.*

*with any weapon specific special shots perhaps taking more than one round

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Kaddish posted:

We had it happen once as well.

Same.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah IDG, because you're not equipping a long las and a las gun simultaneously...I almost think it's for a variable fire mode that wasn't in the beta.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah IDG, because you're not equipping a long las and a las gun simultaneously...I almost think it's for a variable fire mode that wasn't in the beta.

The way the vet talent to reduce sway and increase accuracy is worded makes me think most of their extra fire modes are going to be toggled like the flashlight, its just all the non-hand or shot guns we had in the beta were flashlighted with no other options.

I really do get the vibe theres a lot being held back for a later day in a way that's not just empty wishing on my part.

Hell now that I think about it even the shotgun is a toggle, you load the shot and it stays loaded until you use it.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 17, 2022

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Right before the beta ended I got a blue autogun for my vet and it melted elites at medium distance.

Can’t wait for release!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm very eager to try the auto Gun as the Veteran because I want to be able to poo poo out as much DPS as possible while my ability is active and the lasgun, while excellent generally and very efficient, doesn't do that. When there's a Plague Ogryn in front of you, you just want to shrink that hp bar quickly, and the half a dozen previous fights where you efficiently single or double tapped elites suddenly seems a lot less important.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sharkopath posted:

On the train robbery I'd pop it to annihilate the first mauler with headshots and then sprint to the other side of the train, toss a grenade through the door and pull out the chainsword to rip the second maulers guts out, keeping them stunlocked while the rest of the team started unloading the boxes.

I really enjoyed this mission because it was a simple mission with a fun ending setpiece, and there's something neat about loading up our extraction vehicle and being lifted away as a conclusion to the mission. It's dumb but stuff like that or the two second long cutscenes that show you and your squad walking to an extraction vehicle after the mission is over gets the point across that we're a group of mercenaries working for a larger entity and I think that's neat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I mean when was the last time we gave Fatshark the benefit of the doubt and they actually delivered? They've consistently been the most inconsistent studio ever. Here's a DLC after a year of silence that's literally just weapon reskins with a glow effect. Here's another DLC after a year's silence that's an entire new game mode and oh its free.

"Oh I'm sure they held back a bunch of weapon options from the beta because otherwise it would be very light on options, and they wouldn't do that would they?"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The way the vet talent to reduce sway and increase accuracy is worded makes me think most of their extra fire modes are going to be toggled like the flashlight, its just all the non-hand or shot guns we had in the beta were flashlighted with no other options.

I really do get the vibe theres a lot being held back for a later day in a way that's not just empty wishing on my part.

Hell now that I think about it even the shotgun is a toggle, you load the shot and it stays loaded until you use it.

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean when was the last time we gave Fatshark the benefit of the doubt and they actually delivered? They've consistently been the most inconsistent studio ever. Here's a DLC after a year of silence that's literally just weapon reskins with a glow effect. Here's another DLC after a year's silence that's an entire new game mode and oh its free.

"Oh I'm sure they held back a bunch of weapon options from the beta because otherwise it would be very light on options, and they wouldn't do that would they?"

Here, have a snippet from a dev blog on Steam that will make all of the decisions they've made surrounding stat bars and such even more confusing.

Steam Dev Blog: Hybrid Combat posted:

After creating the first prototypes, we sat down and took a long hard look at the game. At the end of that conversation, the Combat team put it bluntly: Shouldn’t we just build a proper FPS experience for our ranged combat? With all the bells and whistles, blend states and dynamic weapons and advanced recoil mechanics and suppression loops and interfacing that come with it? So we did. We even infused all those details into the progression system, allowing players to tailor the weapon handling through a mixer-board-like stat system that makes your gun unique. You are still highly encouraged to bring out your melee weapon because trying to kite a horde or some of our angrier elite enemies will end up with you dead. But up until that point, you’re free to shoot 'em up as much as you like.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210?emclan=103582791467886694&emgid=3321981593802719138

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oh lovely, uninstalling the beta prevents uninstalling the anticheat that the beta used.

Not sure this company deserves much benefit of the doubt on any level.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

They've consistently been the most inconsistent studio ever.

lol

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

Here, have a snippet from a dev blog on Steam that will make all of the decisions they've made surrounding stat bars and such even more confusing.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210?emclan=103582791467886694&emgid=3321981593802719138

Now I'm convinced they wanted to go the Tarkov route and had to drop it.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Being a dev must be like such a tug of war between what you want, what you're able to achieve, and what the moneymen let you do.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Don't forget the legions of assholes on the internet trying to tell you what your game should be

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

explosivo posted:

Don't forget the legions of assholes on the internet trying to tell you what your game should be

They should start with basic version control.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

There is the question of what the heck plasteel and diamantium are for. There's a lot of vendors that have obvious vendor booths set up you couldnt use in the beta.

Like the entire crafting system is missing or something.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 17, 2022

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I understand the skepticism but they said there's going to be 70 weapons on release. I don't think they would straight up just lie about that and given such a large number, it's probably going to be base weapons with different options like secondaries or movesets.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fatshark being such an unpredictable chaos variable is legitimately the only reason I tried the beta at all, since VT2 was such an overall letdown to me that I wouldn’t pay attention to more games from them if I was confident they were definitely going to do the same thing again. like as much of a terrible impression as this beta was, I’m still keeping darktide in my peripheral vision because there is still a fatsharkian chance that they actually fix the performance, the controls feel better, the perks and all the basic game mechanics actually work, and the spawns aren’t insane swingy nonsense. Or possibly none of those things will happen. Who can say! See you in a month.

Corbeau posted:

Oh lovely, uninstalling the beta prevents uninstalling the anticheat that the beta used.

What are the implications of this besides some residual files left behind? will it interfere with other games that use EAC?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They said 70 on release and they had 16 in the demo, split between 8 melee and 8 ranged.

And if they are using the same counting system that means that the variants like the slow heavy las and the fast carbine las aren't counted as different weapons.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Demiurge4 posted:

They should start with basic version control.

I don't disagree. I'm just stating the fact that game development nowadays seems to involve dealing with a lot of entitled pricks on the internet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

I understand the skepticism but they said there's going to be 70 weapons on release. I don't think they would straight up just lie about that and given such a large number, it's probably going to be base weapons with different options like secondaries or movesets.

This is probably technically correct, if you include the variants. There are 16 weapons in the beta and some of them come with variants that are really just MK2 or whatever, which comes down to a slightly different move set. For example the duelist sword(?) has at least two different move sets, one with a narrow move set and one with a sweeping move set.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

This is probably technically correct, if you include the variants. There are 16 weapons in the beta and some of them come with variants that are really just MK2 or whatever, which comes down to a slightly different move set. For example the duelist sword(?) has at least two different move sets, one with a narrow move set and one with a sweeping move set.

This uncharitable but fair read would still mean half their count of weapons aren't in the game, which is still a lot I think.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

This uncharitable but fair read would still mean half their count of weapons aren't in the game, which is still a lot I think.

There's definitely going to be more weapons, the Ogryn will have a minigun of some kind and the veteran will have a plasma rifle and probably a plasma gun as well. But there definitely won't be 70 unique weapons so I take that number as the marketing team trying to pad it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m expecting that count of 70 in vermintide terms would count the hammer and the mace as different weapons even though they’re statistically identical and just belong to different characters.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’m expecting that count of 70 in vermintide terms would count the hammer and the mace as different weapons even though they’re statistically identical and just belong to different characters.

Most of the weapons in the beta are shared between classes, I think the only real exclusives were the ogryns. Zealot gets the chainsword and also a chain axe thats showed up in its trailers so I'd assume those would have meaningfully different stats since they belong to the same character.

Related thought but I'd wager each class has more exclusive weapons than just the one thats highlighted in the creation menu, on account of all ogryn gear being presumably exclusive.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
When they're saying 70 weapons, they're definitely being very generous with that. Like, not just that the Mk1, 4 and 7 Catachan swords are different weapons (which they are, due to very different movesets), but that the Psyker's Mk1 and Zealot's Mk1 are different weapons.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Senethro posted:

When they're saying 70 weapons, they're definitely being very generous with that. Like, not just that the Mk1, 4 and 7 Catachan swords are different weapons (which they are, due to very different movesets), but that the Psyker's Mk1 and Zealot's Mk1 are different weapons.

If you break it down like that than all 70 weapons are in the beta, which is so uncharitable I would not say its fair.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I only got the play about 6 hours of the game over the weekend test... Got an Ogryn to level 9.

But I had a hell of a fun time doing that..

I barely scratched the surface of combat mechanics and items but it felt fun. Looking forward to this.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

there was a bug in the demo that revealed a bunch of achievement unlocks for a bunch of 40K staple weapons, something like another half-dozen ish ranged and melee each for each class.

i'm not going to fret about a lack of content or rampant crashes in a vertical slice demo. i was going to keep an eye on reviews or maybe try it on gamepass first, when it releases. if the final game is unstable, or there isn't a good variety of toys and things to do, then that's that, but there's no reason to expect a tech demo to have either of those issues solved.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

What are the implications of this besides some residual files left behind? will it interfere with other games that use EAC?

I don't know; probably none in the near future. If it includes an exploitable security hole that is ever found, though, then it's bad because the particular build of EAC they included in the beta is apparently not main branch, but a developer-specific one, and so the public (us) will never get updates.

Which is why I've been scouring through online information on how to expunge the drat thing manually, just in case. The most I've been able to find includes deleting specific folders plus associated registry keys, the latter of which is always a little bit spooky.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 17, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seems like maybe they shouldn’t have shipped a beta with weird non-stable-release anticheat or perhaps even have unnecessary performance-damaging anticheat in a purely noncompetitive game in general!

I remember being pretty pleased with how smoothly VT2’s beta ran for me in spite of everything else it had going on, and then the full game had the anticheat attached and suddenly didn’t run nearly as well.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 17, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will the Plague Ogryn be the only healthbar boss encountered in the wild on release? Vermintide2 had 3 on release and another later.

Wouldn't mind seeing the chaos spawn again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Corbeau posted:

I don't know if this will help but I still have the beta installed so here's the easyanticheat directory from it: [gone]

someone feel free to post this on reddit or the twitter if it works I don't care to

I cannot figure out a way to uninstall EAC using these files myself but I am a dumb idiot and also didn't try very hard

e: it looks like from reading the reddit post even with the beta installed you can't uninstall the EAC lol so I removed the link to keep it outta the hands of people who would do something unscrupulous like find vulnerabilities or whatever

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 17, 2022