Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

every morning i wake up and open palm slam a gif into the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

eXXon posted:

Meanwhile, the Ontario government is set to spend at least that much on an idiotic highway through mostly rich farmland so that one day their developer buddies can pave it over with more garbage subdivisions.

This sort of thing drives me more nuts than usual given the future we're heading towards. It's just so loving wasteful. We'll be building SFH in Mad Max scenarios at the rate we're going

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eXXon posted:

The comments are great and you can skip reading the entire article. I didn't get past "HSR isn't even profitable". GOOD.

why is america declining as i scratch my hollow head

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

eXXon posted:

You see, Japan unfairly penalized the development of a robust airborne transit system, and now is stuck in a dystopian future with convenient and affordable mass transit serving the vast majority of its population. And then the dude wrote "but tunnels!" and Ashton responded:

America: can't build high speed rail because it is too bumpy

Japan: only able to build high speed rail because it is even bumpier than America

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

This sort of thing drives me more nuts than usual given the future we're heading towards. It's just so loving wasteful. We'll be building SFH in Mad Max scenarios at the rate we're going

are highways profitable though? ask that question and suddenly car brains understand the concept of externalities in a way they refuse to for trains

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

America: can't build high speed rail because it is too bumpy

Japan: only able to build high speed rail because it is even bumpier than America

Everyone knows mountains are authoritarian

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

mortons stork posted:

there's a guy named ashton in the comments who is absolutely ventilating the author ~~with facts and logic~~ and getting him increasingly pissy and mad

quote:

I literally wrote this blog, as I write nearly all my blogs, in about an hour between putting the kids to bed and collapsing from exhaustion. If you don’t like reading it for free, go find something else to do. I don’t owe you anything.

lmao

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

My favorite bit is where he tries to get Ashton to go away in the pissiest way possible.

Mommy's Sleepy Little Boy posted:

You seem to be getting a bit worked up over this. Why not organize your thoughts and write a blog arguing the opposite case. If it meets my obviously low standards, I’ll cross post it.

Ashton posted:

No

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gonna stop posting about the hyperloop dude but he's edited in a great non-correction

quote:

I was surprised to see how readily some of the core ideas were misunderstood, though it is true that I haven’t written as much recently as I used to, and I’m almost certainly less sharp as a result. This blog contains generalizations and inaccuracies – it’s intended as a jumping off point for the interested reader. The bottom line is that California high speed rail won’t work for dozens of reasons, and I wrote about a few relatively obscure but quite fundamental ones

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
the guy can't even explain why he used a 70-year-old version of an article on vehicle efficiency across a variety of modes of transport that was recently (early 2000s) revisited to account for changes in technology.

https://twitter.com/790f0fb7/status/1579863329031720960

https://twitter.com/790f0fb7/status/1580011970182664196

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2022/10/15/teen-boy-car-fatal/stories/202210150041

quote:

Police identify teen fatally struck by vehicle in Ross parking lot

A teenage boy was struck and killed by a car Saturday afternoon in Ross, township police said.

The incident occurred in the North Hills Village parking lot in the 4800 block of McKnight Road about 4:35 p.m.

The teen, later identified as Christopher X Lucas, 15, of Pittsburgh, was standing in the parking lot when he was struck by a car operated by an elderly man, according to Ross police.

He died at the scene, Detective Sgt, Brian Kohlhepp, the police department’s public information officer said in a statement.

The driver was cooperating with the investigation, Sgt. Kohlhepp said.

Sgt. Kohlhepp added that investigators don’t believe drugs or alcohol were factors in the incident.

There they are, the magic words that tell you this driver isn't being charged.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we gotta outlaw cars, driving them, etc

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
An elderly person at the wheel killing the youth is a delightfully morbid metaphor for the US

mystes
May 31, 2006

Greatbacon posted:

An elderly person at the wheel killing the youth is a delightfully morbid metaphor for the US
To be fair also have plenty of teenage drivers running over elderly pedestrians, too

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mystes posted:

To be fair also have plenty of teenage drivers running over elderly pedestrians, too

that's the beauty of the USA; here it doesn't matter who you are, anyone can use a car to kill someone else without consequences in this country

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

that's the beauty of the USA; here it doesn't matter who you are, anyone can use a car to kill someone else without consequences in this country

and people say the USA isn’t egalitarian :rolleye:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The bar is so high that you have to be going over 100MPH and murder like 6 people for them to actually charge you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

The bar is so high that you have to be going over 100MPH and murder like 6 people for them to actually charge you.
and have run over people 20 times before

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like to post in the i hate cars thread because, well, guess what, i hate cars

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

i like to post in the i hate cars thread because, well, guess what, i hate cars

you love cars

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Smythe posted:

you love cars

dude, don't. not in this thread. not cool, dude.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Smythe posted:

you love cars

fly away troll

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
you kiss cars on the lips lol. and gently caress them in the tailpipe like that freak from my strange addiction in 2005 or w/e

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Smythe posted:

you kiss cars on the lips lol. and gently caress them in the tailpipe like that freak from my strange addiction in 2005 or w/e

i'm getting loving pissed irl right now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

youre closing your eyes and dreaming of being run over by a monster truck lol sexually being run over forward and back sexually and you love it you dream of it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
okay, taking a break from the forums for the rest of the day. guess you're all just cool with this guy being a mod here. insanity.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

okay, taking a break from the forums for the rest of the day. guess you're all just cool with this guy being a mod here. insanity.

hahahahaha

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
no but for real tho i fuckin hate cars

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no but for real tho i fuckin hate cars

me too man

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i like kissing a car on the lips. i like holding a car close and gently touching its butt cheeks

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

you know if you take a break it just proves he's right and you're off running your tongue along the steering wheel, gotta post through it to prove your innocence

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

i like kissing a car on the lips. i like holding a car close and gently touching its butt cheeks

this is so hosed up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my car identifies as an attack helicopter

mystes
May 31, 2006

take a brake only it's accidentally the accelerator

Smythe posted:

thanks for invoking what is apparently the world's most popular transphobic joke

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Oct 17, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Smythe posted:

whoa how about a bumper sticker that says "My Car Identifies as a Lamborghini" that would do numbers i bet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mystes posted:

take a brake only it's accidentally the accelerator

thanks for invoking what is apparently the world's most popular transphobic joke

yes that is indeed the premise of the joke

whoa how about a bumper sticker that says "My Car Identifies as a Lamborghini" that would do numbers i bet

honestly would sell like crazy

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gumball_eyes/status/1581778623744266240?s=20&t=ZUL_2g2lKIl5sIDXM70Q0g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Me too. I'm going to go out for a drive to relax after I finish this wine.