Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

gently caress sake. Where do you play again? Those look like San Jose time slots.

Pittsburgh. It's the only rink that goes quite that late but I have post-10pm starts all the time for all four of my teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'd be ok with those time because it's the weekend.

We have a few games between 1 and 4 next month. We'll do some grilling/smash burgers in the parking lot.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
All the rest of our schedule is post-10pm on Tuesdays or Wednesdays :negative:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
We somehow lucked out and got the 7:20 time slot on Sunday nights which is wicked nice, have time to go out to eat after or just go straight home and still have time to fall asleep on the couch watching Netflix.

We’ve been dealing with this dude since last spring who is absolutely awful at hockey, like he just stands at center ice and waits for the play to come to him, and then the play blows right by him because it takes a solid 10 seconds for him to turn around and start skating the other direction. He also insists on only playing D so it’s extra annoying when he just doesn’t participate in the play at all. It was fine in the spring because we were the only game that night so we assumed he just couldn’t make the beginner games, but now there’s a lower level game right before ours every week and he insists that he wants to stay at our level. Allegedly the league said they’re making him join the lower level, but they’ve said similar things before so we’ll see on Sunday if he shows. He’s wicked nice so I feel bad, but it’ll be much safer and I imagine much more fun for him in the lower level game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

All the rest of our schedule is post-10pm on Tuesdays or Wednesdays :negative:

Look at this fancy pants that gets a schedule further out than a week.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Look at this fancy pants that gets a schedule further out than a week.

I've been playing in the league I'm in for almost 10 years now. This year is the first time they have the entire schedule posted. It's kinda scary.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

calandryll posted:

I've been playing in the league I'm in for almost 10 years now. This year is the first time they have the entire schedule posted. It's kinda scary.

Yeah, our full season is supposedly done already as well. I won't look further ahead than 2 weeks, but at least there's no way they can be scheduling games the day before or have the ice disappear now that everything for the schedule is done.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
We had the entire schedule posted at the start of the season. Then they fired the adult hockey coordinator and in the process found out that two of the teams on the schedule hadn’t even registered so it’s all in flux / being re-done

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One would be tempted to think that scheduling ice slots requires a doctorate given how poorly most rinks run their facility.

They got three simple tasks: keep the ice from becoming water, accept money, and tell people when to show up. And yet they still gently caress it up universally.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I was asked to sub for a team for 9:30 last night but then the game was canceled because they couldn't find a ref :buddy:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
What's also difficult is making sure there is parity between teams in regards to number of times played. We have a 6 team league, never in the history of hockey has there been 6 times are one time. This makes it difficult to ensure all teams are played equally apparently.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

calandryll posted:

What's also difficult is making sure there is parity between teams in regards to number of times played. We have a 6 team league, never in the history of hockey has there been 6 times are one time. This makes it difficult to ensure all teams are played equally apparently.

That’s true. It’s very difficult for a team to play each other team 4 times for 20 weeks. It’s only three games happening a week, so that must be what makes it so difficult.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
What season length do you all have? Here the standard is 10 games + playoffs, depending on roster size that comes out to about $125 per season. Usually takes about four months to get through so we get three seasons per league.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Ours is somewhere between 20-25 games and goes from September to April. This year is different, same number of games but will actually end in February. Some years we'd play a bunch in September and October and then one or two games here or there. We have 2 weeks off because of the holidays this season.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Winter session is Sept-April and then summer session is May-August. Usually only a couple weeks off in between, thank god

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yep, regular season is about 22 games and playoffs. Summer is I think 8-10 with playoffs?

I'm having a lot of fun with it. Glad I started playing sports again, and hockey has been great fun. Had a game with some actual penalties in it last night and some competitive contact too. I didn't score, but I discovered that I'm hard to move in front of the net? I kept putting my chances wide, but it's been a really good experience so far.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
:lol: No goalie last week, we dress two goalies, who switched halfway through. We had 7 skaters and barely lost. It's been a strange season so far.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I've signed up for a second league on Sundays. I blame all of you for this attack on my wallet

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The rink I'd been skating at since 2015 just announced a 30+ D division on Wednesdays. I had to stop going there because we moved recently and a 40 minute drive to an ice rink was stupid when I have two others within 20 minutes of the new place.

They must have done this to spite me specifically, all low level adult play was on Sundays until the minute I leave. For a few years I was driving there twice on Sunday for ice.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

The rink I'd been skating at since 2015 just announced a 30+ D division on Wednesdays. I had to stop going there because we moved recently and a 40 minute drive to an ice rink was stupid when I have two others within 20 minutes of the new place.

They must have done this to spite me specifically, all low level adult play was on Sundays until the minute I leave. For a few years I was driving there twice on Sunday for ice.

What rink? I wanna tell my buddies who live in Chicagoland about it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RC Cola posted:

What rink? I wanna tell my buddies who live in Chicagoland about it

Canlan Romeoville. The emails said it'll be ~10pm puck drops, 16 games at $3750 per team.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Thanks ^

I'm about to play my first game in a Sunday league today. I have my wife and 2 other woman friends who signed up for the team. How is locker room culture towards women on a coed team? I'm worried about dickheads ruining the game

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We have 0 tolerance policy around any sort of exclusion so we don’t have a problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It depends on the team they built, if there's dicks on the roster they're probably going to act like dicks.

Guarantee every time a woman gets knocked over there's gonna be a lot of apologies (and if you're unlucky, white knights crashing the scene) but other than that it should be fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, about half my team is women and it’s all good and cool. Most of the other teams in the division also have at least a 3-4 from the ones I’ve seen so far. Seems like all sorts of variation in skill level is just part of it. They either avoid contact themselves or take it as part of the game and that’s just what happens. It helps that it’s a lower division and everyone seems to mostly buy into that level of contact.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Cool! The game went well! We lost 12-3! Everyone was really chill, their team had 3-4 women as well. Actually 2 guys got in a fight, but that was because their guy boarded ours hard and then they started pushing each other.

I felt great. I'm loving hockey, since my Tuesday league team told me to work on my weak side skating I'm much better at it after working on it for the last month. I had a bunch of chances, I broke up a ton of plays. I think being in shape helps a lot since I'm always able to backcheck.

2 of the women on the other team played D1 college hockey, so everytime they had the puck they just skated through our team and scored

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hockey rules. Thanks for bullying me into playing. I loving love this sport.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

2 of the women on the other team played D1 college hockey, so everytime they had the puck they just skated through our team and scored

I used to play Rat Hockey regularly with a 2-time women's national champ who played for Wisconsin. A lot of the other dudes would get extremely butt-hurt whenever she clowned them. I get clowned by everyone, so it was a fun experience for me to get destroyed by an even better player than usual.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RC Cola posted:

Hockey rules. Thanks for bullying me into playing. I loving love this sport.

Yes it does! I can't believe I've been playing (and posting in this thread) for 8 years now. So glad I started playing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

prom candy posted:

Yes it does! I can't believe I've been playing (and posting in this thread) for 8 years now. So glad I started playing.

Absolutely. It's only been about 6 months of playing and it's an absolute blast. My skating keeps getting better and I can actually catch up to people (going forward) and I only managed to lose 3 faceoffs all night last night. This would be better if we could manage a breakout, but we're still having fun. I also need to figure out how much time I really do have to skate with the puck, because I find myself turning and passing very quickly instead of taking at least a couple strides when I do have time.

I also bought a second stick so I could have a backup and holy wow is it much lighter and easier to use. I should have been more particular when I first picked one, but I don't know that I'd have known the difference then.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been having a poo poo time at my job and hockey is my time to not think about it. loving love playing and the group of guys I play with make it all the better. I'm glad I came back to it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My nitwit team of anklebenders has gone 2-0-1 after starting 0-4. They still make bad changes and don't use two hands nearly often enough, and have recently started taking penalties, but it's been fun to watch their improvement from the crease. I am definitely less exhausted and facing far less shelling now that they're getting positioning figured out.

Yay hockey.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Yay hockey! We won 4-3 today! I got my first assist if you count passing to the guy who shoots into the goalie's pads and then a different guy scores off the rebound. Yay hockey! I made a ton of bad plays and was offsides once when I tried to hold the line, but I also saved 2 goals by clearing a rebound out of the crease.

Also posting up in the crease in their zone is fun. It's just having 2-3 guys try to push me over while my team skates around firing slappers. Hockey is great but also loving it's 12:26 and I just got home.

Anyways stick and puck tomorrow I guess.

Pleads I'm happy your games are going better yay!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Matt Ryan just suffered from the same injury playing in the NFL as I did getting checked by a dingus in beer league. Makes me feel pretty cool. :cool:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The other team had a sub goalie last night playing down to our level. He was pretty decent, but his chirping was A tier. Constant chatter and when I finally thought I was going to beat him I completely fanned on my shot. It was mistimed from such a great spot that even he felt that miss.

I have begun to be capable of carrying the puck all the way up ice at nearly full speed, which makes zone exits easier and more fun.

It was a great game and that made it a ton of fun.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I scored my first goal tonight in a 4-8 loss. It was a rebound off the goalie and I came in on the bouncing puck and was able to put it top left shelf over the blocker. It felt great, and also my friend who started at the same time as me scored his first goal the shift after mine.

Felt pretty good. I think if we had more than 8 skaters/ 2 of our skaters weren't 2 people fresh out of learn to play we would have won.

Also our goalie was a sub. 65 years old and full stand up. It was incredible to watch him never freeze a puck and constantly pass right to their player in the slot

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Our goalie was out playing the puck early in the first, when a dude from the other team dives skates first into his legs. Did a nice cartwheel and is out 7 days with a concussion. Luckily he had some cameras out and caught it. Here's hoping the league will actually do something about it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Congrats man, first goals are always kick rear end

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RC Cola posted:

I scored my first goal tonight in a 4-8 loss. It was a rebound off the goalie and I came in on the bouncing puck and was able to put it top left shelf over the blocker. It felt great, and also my friend who started at the same time as me scored his first goal the shift after mine.

Felt pretty good. I think if we had more than 8 skaters/ 2 of our skaters weren't 2 people fresh out of learn to play we would have won.

Also our goalie was a sub. 65 years old and full stand up. It was incredible to watch him never freeze a puck and constantly pass right to their player in the slot

Congrats, scoring a goal in a hockey game is one the greatest things you can do in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How to tape your hockey stick shaft goon style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiE7ljp6ZqY