Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Crain posted:

I uh....can't drive stick ☹️. And there's not really any autos in stock new near me.

assuming you mean you haven't learned and are not physically incapable of it for some reason, it's really not that bad. basically the first time I drove a stick was picking up my sti. It was fine, I don't think I even stalled on the first drive. youtube's amazing.

Very happy that I took a leap and learned.

edit: for the first month or two I would carefully pick my routes to avoid traffic/stopsigns etc lol

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Crain posted:

Oooooh, that makes sense. I think the og purchase area was Mechanicsville, like 30 min out from PAX.

I uh....can't drive stick ☹️. And there's not really any autos in stock new near me.

Yea this is a navy dudes car.

You can’t driver stick cause you’ve got 3 of 4 limbs or CP or something? Or you just don’t know how yet?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Nah, I just haven't learned.

I can totally learn and am physically capable of operating the required equipment.

But flappy paddle...

Edit: and the gf would be extra pissy about it.

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 16, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
CVT WRX"s are pale imitations and the rear end in a top hat that thought hey lets put the worst possible piece of poo poo transmission in a performance orientated car should be mocked forever as the single most stupid person in Subaru.

Frankly dont do it, there's better cars with better transmissions out there.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I bought my WRX without knowing how to drive stick but thankfully had a friend who was willing to teach me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

assuming you mean you haven't learned and are not physically incapable of it for some reason, it's really not that bad. basically the first time I drove a stick was picking up my sti. It was fine, I don't think I even stalled on the first drive. youtube's amazing.

Very happy that I took a leap and learned.

edit: for the first month or two I would carefully pick my routes to avoid traffic/stopsigns etc lol

I learned on my dads 1950’s Power Wagon.

Put in gear, let out clutch, car goes wherever it’s pointed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well I'm glad I checked here first.

Also went by an actual dealership to check out a different car (2018, decent miles, lots of cooler stuff in it, just you know, older model and more miles) and that ended up being kinda bunk cause it had hail damage on the hood and dings and scrapes (they said they were in the process of replacing the hood etc, but still, pass).

Talked with the dude and I could just order that same car new, from factory, for the exact same price. So I'm gonna go back after the loan app comes in (and amend it to be a new car) and use that money to get what I want new instead of going for a used one.

Thanks y'all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

I learned on my dads 1950’s Power Wagon.

Put in gear, let out clutch, car goes wherever it’s pointed.

Learning to drive manual on a car with low end torque is cheating.

Everyone should be forced to learn stick on a 3 cylinder Hyundai accent like I was

edit: actually 4 cylinder I guess looking it up.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 17, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Geo Metros had 3 cylinders. My great uncle had half a dozen of them.

I learned on farm trucks, the kind that can give you tetanus at a glance. I would recommend spending lots of time on a farm as a kid.

You learn on what you learn, there's always adaptation time to a new one, but the basics never change. Besides, it's a dying skill, and owning a stick is its' own form of theft deterrent. Only something like 11% of americans can drive stick.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

CVT WRX"s are pale imitations and the rear end in a top hat that thought hey lets put the worst possible piece of poo poo transmission in a performance orientated car should be mocked forever as the single most stupid person in Subaru.

Frankly dont do it, there's better cars with better transmissions out there.

The fact that the new WRX got a bump in displacement yet the torque remained the same really highlights just how badly Subaru kneecapped the WRX. (Besides the fact that they made it look ugly as sin) I heard a bullshit reason was for better driveability or some horseshit like that but it's obvious that they capped the torque at 258 lb-ft, which just so happens to be 350 N-m on the dot, because it can't take that much more torques.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Edward IV posted:

The fact that the new WRX got a bump in displacement yet the torque remained the same really highlights just how badly Subaru kneecapped the WRX. (Besides the fact that they made it look ugly as sin) I heard a bullshit reason was for better driveability or some horseshit like that but it's obvious that they capped the torque at 258 lb-ft, which just so happens to be 350 N-m on the dot, because it can't take that much more torques.

The CVT, or at the very least its control algorithm is trash. I’ve been keeping tabs on the tuners that were looking into the FA24DIT on the Ascent and outback XT because hey, more power right and maybe the CVT can be tricked into being less dumb?

Here’s the giant thread on the outback forum. Remember, the engine and CVT first were used in the ascent in 2018.

From a Cobb shop in June 2021

quote:

Re: [Cryotune] General Contact
Form - new submission
Hey there, Unfortunately COBB still has no ETA on a AP for the outback XT, I am waiting as well and we will be ready to work with you the
moment it becomes available

oh and its hard to do much with the cvt control as the ECU does not control that, more so the TCU. Also the turbo lag is designed due to the CVT not being great at handling early rpm torque.

And from posters in the thread:

quote:

For the purposes of our discussion, he's not entirely being... accurate/complete. I know the code and math involved. The TCM acts on data sent to it from the ECU. That's how an ECU tune most definitely affects what the TCM does. It's why the CVT responds differently. Not because of a ton of direct control, but because the TCM acts on the data sent to it. If someone at LuK is in a talkative mood, and asked nicely, they may go through the math.

December

quote:

We're definitely still working on trying to support the new Outback XT. There are some engineering hurdles we need to overcome due to some of the updates Subaru made on the transmission. No ETA on when an Accessport may be available for you but it is being worked on!

quote:

The problem I found was flashing the tune. I believe this is the issue Cobb maybe having. I never ask them as a ProTuner. But I had created tunes for the Outback but just couldn't flash it back. Interesting eh??? Very sad indeed.

I can’t find it again but I recalled one of these threads or a blog from one of the tuners stated that on the ascent/outback the CVT was very close to its absolute maximum torque rating, I want to say it’s 400N*m. The FA24DIT is rated at 376N*m.

A thread at nasioc on the closest thing that will ever exist to an STI wagon has some anecdotal evidence:

quote:

Would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Cobb had basically said the CVT starts slipping with only small gains in power in the Ascent. The Outback and Legacy XT models share the same drivetrain. So, the transmission would have to be modded before any power gains could be realized. For now this would required tons of work. I'm hoping the new WRX will have a stronger transmission that could be swapped easier than dropping in an STi 6 speed.

quote:

Can confirm on the slipping of the CVT. It slips with basic bolt ons and a tune. Currently waiting to see what the transmission is going to be in the WRX before trying to swap the one in my outback xt.

I’m betting subaru did not want the manual transmission version to be better than the automatic so here we are. It feels kinda wild that subaru just has one transmission but I guess that’s the side effect of Subaru being kept afloat these days by selling the outback, mini outback, 7 seat outback and the boxy, lovely suspension outback.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 17, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I can’t find it again but I recalled one of these threads or a blog from one of the tuners stated that on the ascent/outback the CVT was very close to its absolute maximum torque rating, I want to say it’s 400N*m. The FA24DIT is rated at 376N*m.

400Nm is correct and thats Subaru that says that. Everyone who has tested it (like MRT) has found they arent lying - the WRX uses the high torque CVT that was first in the Levorg and it's 400Nm, full stop. Anything more and it slips and burns out.

On anything with a turbo+ CVT, you cant do anything other than a mild exhaust else yup, you past 400Nm and your transmission is hosed. It's ridiculous to have a literal "destroy your transmission" hard limit like that but thats the nature of CVTs and honestly just what the gently caress. It's even more what the gently caress when the WRX has such a strong leaning to manual versions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, there’s manufacturer limits and then there’s limits and it seemed surprising for the ascent/outback to be running within 6% of the transmission self destructing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just want a 3.6 bolted to a 6 speed manual.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Same.

And curse the bean counters for this CVT tomfoolery. As was recently highlighted by the MCM crew, all the bits are essentially bolt in and the only thing really stopping it being an OE configuration is Subaru not wanting to.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The CVT bullshit really is why the Forester will probably be my last Subaru. I'll accept that my SUV or wagon must have an automatic transmission due to the nature of the market or whatever, but ugh with the CVT. Hopefully we'll go electric with our next car, and Subaru is just loving that up as well with the small battery coupled with slow charging.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess they bought the design from JATCO and they’re going to run it into the ground before they consider Aisin? The aisin automatic that’s in the non hybrid half the Lexus lineup and RAV4s goes to 480 Nm on paper.

Just commit to being a weird offshoot of Toyota and use the partsbin like Mazda and Ford.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My guess is that Eyesight is so tuned for the current transmission that they don't want to make the investment to retool for an alternate.

My dad ended up buying an Ascent two weeks ago to replace his traverse. That sits alongside my mom's Crosstrek. This is the first time in my 43 year life that there hasn't been at least one Chevy badge in the driveway.

I still don't know why he just didn't get an Outback. He wanted something larger than the Crosstrek but smaller than his Traverse and he ended up buying something the same size as his Traverse. My parents are in their 70s and he's still thinking he needs a vehicle that can tow his utility trailer that he uses once every two years and that he needs a third row of seats.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 17, 2022

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Subaru is going to be the alfa romeo of japan arent they?

Trying to remember the top gear episode where they had to describe an alfa or italian car without using the word "soul" or somesuch. Sure the car is built....ok...and it rattles all over, and the glove box door won't stay shut but theres just something about the s*** of a subie.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Majere posted:

Subaru is going to be the alfa romeo of japan arent they?

Trying to remember the top gear episode where they had to describe an alfa or italian car without using the word "soul" or somesuch. Sure the car is built....ok...and it rattles all over, and the glove box door won't stay shut but theres just something about the s*** of a subie.

Alfas may be partially still sold based on "soul" but Subaru is busily cashing on on their reputation from 15-20 years ago. There is not an unlimited supply and they appear to be quickly running out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

My guess is that Eyesight is so tuned for the current transmission that they don't want to make the investment to retool for an alternate.

Idk how it’d be so transmission specific? Trying to game MPG efficiency might have something to do with it, full time 50/50 AWD is a big hit to fuel economy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

Idk how it’d be so transmission specific? Trying to game MPG efficiency might have something to do with it, full time 50/50 AWD is a big hit to fuel economy.

If transmission didn't matter, they could offer it on their Manual vehicles like VW does.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Volvos had driver assistance on their manuals as well for ages so I’m curious why eyesight has to be tied to the CVT

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If a volvo driver assist in a manual emergency stops you will it stall the car if you don't push in the clutch/take it out of gear? That's probably a thing mfgs don't want happening.

hobbesmaster posted:

Most subaru autos don't do "full time 50/50" awd. There's a clutch pack to the rear prop shaft that engages by varying amounts based on throttle position, wheel speeds, steering angle, etc. So mostly fwdish most of the time. It's kind of weird to think about torque splits with this because they don't rely on speed differences like a traditional LSD and so while under some specific conditions you could have nearly a 0:100 f:r split you'll never have the rear tires spin faster than the fronts. The VTD cars do have an actual center diff kind of similar to dccd though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Volvos had driver assistance on their manuals as well for ages so I’m curious why eyesight has to be tied to the CVT

It flat out doesnt have to be. VW has a very good system in their manuals Also

https://www.drive.com.au/news/subaru-to-fill-safety-void-on-manual-performance-cars/

So it's coming and why they havent done it til they absolutly had to is some absolute bullshit on their half.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The lack of adaptive cruise on the manuals absolutely factored into my decision to go elsewhere when I replaced my 2010 WRX. It wasn't the only thing, but it was another ding that made the lack of hatch even less appealing.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I always assumed tying upmarket features to the CVT was for CAFE compliance.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
We bought a manual 2022 WRX premiumwhatever and it's plenty enough for us. Still fun. I don't have a previous point of reference though. I'm sure it could be more fun.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
In saying that the fuel economy is absolute trash. Less than half the range of my 2016 golf TDI with the same sized tank.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DIT has a far bigger effect on fuel economy than a CVT except in a small circumstance where a CVT can do a moonshot ratio on a casual cruise and even then it's more about the engine in lean burn mode rather than the CVT

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Order is in. Estimated early January delivery according to the dealership guy.

Now I'm making a list of all the fun stuff I wanna put on the drat thing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Someone smashed my drivers's sideview mirror on my 2013 Impreza 5door. As if this month weren't loving cursed enough already. Are the replacement mirrors the same between models with/without defrost? Have put in an order for https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-mirror-repair-left~91039aj211.html

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Howdy folks. Anyone have a teardown/rebuild guide handy for a 4EAT?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My mom has a 2016 (I think) base-model Outback with the 2.5L and a CVT. It has about 42k miles on it. She says the transmission has been acting kind of weird. I suggested she book an appointment at the dealer to have the CVT fluid and filter (does the CVT have a filter?) replaced. What are the chances this service returns the transmission to normal-feeling operation (as normal-feeling as a CVT can get anyway)?

If CVTs didn't have so many reliability problems, wouldn't they be nearly ideal for turbocharged engines? Couldn't a real CVT (without the fake gearchanges) keep a turbo engine on boost pretty much indefinitely?

It doesn't matter. No automaker is going to spend a nickel on transmission engineering given the pending death of the ICE passenger car.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 26, 2022

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

If CVTs didn't have so many reliability problems, wouldn't they be nearly ideal for turbocharged engines? Couldn't a real CVT (without the fake gearchanges) keep a turbo engine on boost pretty much indefinitely?

Yes....but. Making a CVT work well involves fully committing to the engine being based around the CVT and the CVT being able to handle the power.

From a purely theoretical standpoint, a CVT with it's "technically infinite gears" has your engine outputting peak torque. It should be an AMAZING option technologically. The Williams 1993 F1 car blew the competition out of the water and was banned... and the CVT was banned immediately after testing because it was too loving good.

Donut video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBWfnOhc34I&t=817s

But yeah, no consumer focused car is going to go that far for a CVT in a sub $50k car.

Personally I like the idea of a CVT, but reliability and the seemingly weird decision to treat CVTs as a "cheaper" option to traditional autos makes them a crapshoot and usually a disappointing option. But I've been driving on a CVT sentra for a decade now and had no issues, you just gotta treat it carefully to keep it going strong. There's also little things you just have to pick up on like abusing throttle positions to make the cvt jump around based on the manufacturers built in "shifting modes".

Also funnily enough: Subaru had the first electronically controlled mass market CVT in a consumer car back in 1987 with the Justy, though the first ever mass market CVT was sold by a dutch company in '59. So Subaru's been loving it up with CVT's for 35 years.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

That Donut video is complete bullshit about the Williams F1 CVT. The truth is that the car was not timed, not compared to a existing F1 car and had significant reliability issues. The banning had more to do with other systems Williams was working on rather than it was some wonder transmission. That channel spreads so much poo poo

The blunt fact is cars do not work best in the real world droning at peak torque. CVTs are not throttle responsive so they are godawful for extracting handling capabilities. They directly make comparable cars slower and heavier.

CVTs can go straight to hell and should never been put into cars

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Howdy folks. Anyone have a teardown/rebuild guide handy for a 4EAT?

I think I do in a workshop manual pdf. I'll go look

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Finally got a second car, so the WRX (2014) is spending some time in the shop and getting some TLC.

Had some questions. Feel free to talk to me like an idiot, because I am.

Was wanting to do some mild performance tuning. Just looking to make it more fun to drive. Sounds like our state requires CARB compliance for emissions, but our car will likely be exempt for quite a while longer. How much should I care about that? Keep it to something that just requires a retune and no actual work?

I live on dirt roads. Sounds like for intakes that mostly rules out upgrades as they are open air intakes and can get super dirty? Is that right? Are there alternatives?

And lastly, toying with the idea of raising it a bit as it's hard not to scrape the bumper. How much does this change the driving dynamics? 3rd party or Forester springs?

Thank you Subaru goons for constantly answering my uninformed questions.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Besides, it's a dying skill, and owning a stick is its' own form of theft deterrent. Only something like 11% of americans can drive stick.

When I lived with roommates they asked to borrow my car exactly once. Oh, you don't know how to drive a manual? Sorry guess you can't borrow it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

My girlfriend has a 2011 Legacy 3.6 that water is finding a way into the front passenger seat area. This started a little over a month ago when she called me and said it sounds like the gas tank is real loud and the stereo is making weird noises. The sloshing sound was actually a puddle moving between the front and rear passenger side, and the weird noises from the stereo were due to the amp under the passenger seat being under water.

I got as much water out as I could, and the internet suggested the most likely culprit was the sunroof drains. I checked the front two and there didn't seem to be any clogs, the rear two aren't really accessible from the top, but I checked the outlets under the rear bumper cover and there didn't seem to be any blockage. In the meantime I didn't notice any excessive water accumulation, but the carpet on that side always seemed a little damp.

Driving around yesterday I caught the leak in the act, and saw a drip coming from right under the glove box. Today I pulled the glove box, the HVAC fan, the drain hose running to the center console, and didn't see any obvious blockages or debris. Then I took the windshield wipers off and removed the cowl, and again saw nothing obvious. The next thing I could think of would be to remove the wheels and wheel well liners, since the cowl drains into the fenders from the sides, but I tried pouring water in when I had the cowl and it seemed to exit without problem. I'm at a loss as to what to check otherwise.

Also, as mentioned before the amplifier took a bath, and now there's no sound from the door speakers (aside from a pop when you start the car). I don't have an easy way of verifying it works at all, however it is still passing signal to the dashboard tweeters and the sub, and if any of the three cables plugged into the amp are removed neither of them work, so its still doing something at least. I checked the audio-related fuse in the cabin and the one in the engine bay and both of those looked fine. Aside from ebaying another amp and swapping it in, is there anything else to try?