Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Alicent is cool because she is all about fantasy Jesus and virtue, but meanwhile has to participate in a system based on sexism that she both resents and keeps propping up. hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She's what pollsters refer to as "cross-pressured'

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The book of Seven doesn't comment on foot fetish. It's a loop hole. Alicent cleared it with the high septon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I gotta' say, I am enjoying this show, but while it's entirely realistic to have a bunch of people backstabbing each other to attain power for power's sake, I'd be a lot more invested if I knew what literally any of them were planning on doing with said power.

If they all just want it just because, I'm really not rooting for any of them.

I think the Azor Ahai prophecy was written in to justify some of this, but we know that doesn't happen until a completely different show and also it ends like poo poo, so it ain't really solving the problem.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Alicent really came out sympathetic as a more tragic character than a manipulative schemer. As a lot of posters point out she's getting pressured from all sides, she doesn't have any sort of sanctuary in this mess save for her faith in the Seven and it's always funny/sad when you realize the Seven is the one religion that is just worthless pomp in a setting where mysticism and magic is real.

Say what you will about the final scene, but Alicent stepping between the dragon and her children was a powerful showing of what motivates the character.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

stephenthinkpad posted:

The book of Seven doesn't comment on foot fetish. It's a loop hole. Alicent cleared it with the high septon.

More like the high septoes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

this is my biggest issue of the show so far

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ubersandwich posted:

Alicent really came out sympathetic as a more tragic character than a manipulative schemer. As a lot of posters point out she's getting pressured from all sides, she doesn't have any sort of sanctuary in this mess save for her faith in the Seven and it's always funny/sad when you realize the Seven is the one religion that is just worthless pomp in a setting where mysticism and magic is real.

Say what you will about the final scene, but Alicent stepping between the dragon and her children was a powerful showing of what motivates the character.

Yeah, she wanted to be in control of this coup because she wants to protect, or at least try and protect, Rhaenyra from the worst possible outcome. This is a great episode for Olivia Cooke because she gets to play Alicent as a schemer, as oppressed, as a concerned friend and mother, as massively ambitious but troubled by her own ambition. The scene between her and Rhaenys was great, I've felt that Eve Best was just kind of around but she absolutely murdered it this episode. (by it I mean "dozens of smallfolk" and not "a single member of her soon to be arch enemy cabal")

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I’m rooting for Daemon and/or Aemond because apparently I like live-action male Blood Elves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm rooting for good drama and good characters, I don't really understand the rooting-interest type of TV watching. All this poo poo is predetermined, I can tell you right now who wins. I do not want to be friends with the TV show characters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

double negative posted:

it certainly seems like rhaenys either originally planned to kill them or at least considered it in the moment, because if it was never her intent that’s a lotta mean mugging to be doing

aegon absolutely not wanting to be king but being overcome by the high of the crowd’s roar was p good tho

also this show loves childfights almost as much as incest

I mean she's leaving the Hightower-Targ family with the message "You are alive now because of my mercy. I could have ended you all, but chose not to." Which is not a bad message to send if you're hoping to defuse this without all-out war. Only Otto is itching for a fight, the rest are ambivalent or don't want to be in this situation at all.

I do think she may have been on the fence about burning them but I think the nonverbal exchange she and Alicent had was important. Alicent wasn't challenging or defiant, she closed her eyes and was basically pleading to not have her children murdered. Rhaenys gave her a smug "You're alive from now on because I allowed it" look and peaced out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

zoux posted:

I'm rooting for good drama and good characters, I don't really understand the rooting-interest type of TV watching. All this poo poo is predetermined, I can tell you right now who wins. I do not want to be friends with the TV show characters.
Bully for you. Other people don't enjoy things the same way you do.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Next week should begin with Aemond saying he knew everything was going to be okay because he gave the dragon an ocular pat down

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So what's Targaryan king's funeral look like? They had such a cool funeral with Daemon's wife, they got to do something with goon king. Didn't even gave him a good closeup of his rotten face.

I don't remember King Robert's funeral.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobjr posted:

Next week should begin with Aemond saying he knew everything was going to be okay because he gave the dragon an ocular pat down
LOL. Cut that cut that cut that.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

still lolling at larys' low stakes motivation. he's not even asking her to put them in his face or anything. just wants some slideshow material

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Iron Spank Bank

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dude killed his family for some weird jo material.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Beefeater1980 posted:

Poor Alicent is coming across as very sympathetic IMO, despite having to be Queen onlyfans to keep her spymaster onside.

Aegon’s a real dipshit though. The kids fighting ring was properly disgusting.

I watched the episode this morning when I was supposed to be working. After that fighting ring scene I was "welp, time to put that on pause and do some busywork so I don't have to think about that".

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Ubersandwich posted:

Yeah, Alicent is sympathetic as someone out of her depth who really doesn't know the full score/won't accept its full implications, surrounded by people who all want to take advantage of her in one way or another.

It has always been a minor annoyance to me the the Faith of the Seven has no mojo to it, since both the Old Gods and the Fire God have real no-poo poo magic occur on their behalf. Like, what prompted the formation of this religion when the old religion was demonstrably real?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

he still has three nephews who would probably look to him as like, the last link they have to their real dad, and they're all in line to become the most powerful men in westeros. so naturally he's plotting against them, because after 15 years of loyal service alicent was willing to bust off BOTH socks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bobjr posted:

*dragon approaches aemond's car*

"i'm rolling up my window! it's my right! i don't recognize your authority!"

aemond putting the sovereign in sovereign citizen

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It has always been a minor annoyance to me the the Faith of the Seven has no mojo to it, since both the Old Gods and the Fire God have real no-poo poo magic occur on their behalf. Like, what prompted the formation of this religion when the old religion was demonstrably real?
Ask the same question, except replace the words with “science” and “literally any religion.” You might have your answer.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Like, what prompted the formation of this religion when the old religion was demonstrably real?

it was the religion of the conquerors, as opposed to the first men's druidic stuff. the andals brought it over and i think it's supposed to represent the angles and christianity though they weren't linked at the time in actual history

and afaik, that far back i think the religion-magic worked for the rhoynar back in the day? not sure

parara
Apr 9, 2010

That DICK! posted:

he still has three nephews who would probably look to him as like, the last link they have to their real dad, and they're all in line to become the most powerful men in westeros. so naturally he's plotting against them, because after 15 years of loyal service alicent was willing to bust off BOTH socks

Okay thinking about it like this makes it extra funny

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I think he killed them to be Lord of Harrenhall and the weird jo material is just a fringe benefit.

Although he never seems to spend any time in Harrenhall. I wouldn't either if I were him seems like a dismal place.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

That DICK! posted:

Yeah, but what if he hated his brother and his stupid nephews?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do the rhoynar have a historical analogue? the english-portuguese alliance?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's weirder than the religion of 7 is that there is no religion of the dragon. Having incestuous marriage is not a religion.

What religion did the Cloepatra family practiced? Just get a goon septon to write a new bible that incorporate the living doomsday weapon!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I gotta' say, I am enjoying this show, but while it's entirely realistic to have a bunch of people backstabbing each other to attain power for power's sake, I'd be a lot more invested if I knew what literally any of them were planning on doing with said power.

My reading of this is that the tragedy at the heart of it all is that none of them really do. When Rhaenyra was young, dumb and... She might've wanted power for the abstract notion of having it, but she didn't really seem to have any plans per se. King Goon didn't really want the power, he was worried about how he would be remembered, and wanted to play with his lego set. Aegon explicitly says in this episode that he doesn't want it, only now that he heard an auditorium applaud him he might want it for the Trump high. Aemond wants to be king because he's "earned" it, but it's unclear at best what he'd actually do with it. Maybe he would want the challenge of being a king and having to make big decisions with his big brain? He seems to fit that type, but he could just as well build lego sets like his dad. I don't remember Rhaenyra's kids really expressing ideas one way or the other, they just sort of know that being bastards is bad and there's a vague threat of violence all around.

Matt Daemon and Rhaenys don't really count anymore I guess, but young Matt Daemon wanted to be king because he wanted to be Bad rear end (tm), and Rhaenys maybe was the only one of the bunch who had an interest in running the court and being a ruler of Westeros. But those ships sailed.

All this amounts to saying that Otto is (so far) the only true vicious villain in our story, since he knowingly pushed his pubescent daughter onto grieving king Goon so she'd have Otto's grandsons and fight for the throne in Otto's place. He also knew that Rhaenyra existed and king Goon was at least considering just naming her his heir. And that Rhaenyra and Alicent were BFFs.

Now, 20-ish years down the line, king Goon is finally dead (:rip:), and Alicent and Rhaenyra are both trapped in a game where the stakes are, at minimum, the lives of themselves and their children (plus other assorted family members), while people around them keep plotting to advance their own agendas furthering the conflict and making any sort of negotiated settlement impossible. So our main characters are stuck making morally awful Sophie's choices, and people will die in what I'm told will be a long and awful civil war. All because Otto is a smug, vain son of a bitch.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

PostNouveau posted:

I think he killed them to be Lord of Harrenhall and the weird jo material is just a fringe benefit.

Although he never seems to spend any time in Harrenhall. I wouldn't either if I were him seems like a dismal place.

He's a great lord but he's spent the last 20 years skulking around the shadows of Kings Landing. I think he's in it for the feet.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

He's a great lord but he's spent the last 20 years skulking around the shadows of Kings Landing. I think he's in it for the feet.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

I mean she's leaving the Hightower-Targ family with the message "You are alive now because of my mercy. I could have ended you all, but chose not to." Which is not a bad message to send if you're hoping to defuse this without all-out war. Only Otto is itching for a fight, the rest are ambivalent or don't want to be in this situation at all.

I do think she may have been on the fence about burning them but I think the nonverbal exchange she and Alicent had was important. Alicent wasn't challenging or defiant, she closed her eyes and was basically pleading to not have her children murdered. Rhaenys gave her a smug "You're alive from now on because I allowed it" look and peaced out.

“i’ll flex on them a bit before leaving so they know i could have killed them but didn’t” doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

she’s absolutely annihilated aegon’s moment of ascension and is surely about to go run off to rhaenyra with a dragon, so what is she supposed to expect that moment of mercy to buy her? she’s declared for the other side in about the most spectacular way possible.

seemed more like a moment that was just built around looking cool as opposed to deep plotting

parara
Apr 9, 2010

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i say swears online posted:

*dragon approaches aemond's car*

"i'm rolling up my window! it's my right! i don't recognize your authority!"

aemond putting the sovereign in sovereign citizen

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, Alicent is sympathetic as someone out of her depth who really doesn't know the full score/won't accept its full implications, surrounded by people who all want to take advantage of her in one way or another.

There’s obviously immense value to religion as a tool of social/moral control, but also is the seven completely without mojo? Isn’t The Stranger aka the many faced God one of them?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

double negative posted:

seemed more like a moment that was just built around looking cool as opposed to deep plotting

100%. It’s dumb and bad. But it’s also just one scene so whatever.

I liked the goon up thread who said the show should have had Rha and her dragon escape but a few blocks away.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Also, I dislike the trope of “having a fetish” = “evil person”

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I liked the goon up thread who said the show should have had Rha and her dragon escape but a few blocks away.

I get nervous because I remember thinking "it was one bad scene" in some of the middle GoT seasons too.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

having a crash and vague earthquake with dust settling from the ceiling while the crown is placed on aegon's head would have been ominous af