Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

almost like they should do this for all actions

this was the city of heroes solution and it absolutely sucked

me, level squat with like two different kinds of GCD fireball and nothing else teamed up with the level infinity guy I knew, who synched down to my level but still had a full rotation and a bunch of OGCDs so was still wiping out entire rooms of guys before I even finished one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not to mention it gives an avenue for toxicity. If your team keeps wiping it'd be easy to point the blame on the party member who only has 2/3 of their toolkit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quiggy posted:

and only using Cure II when it's absolutely necessary
Counterargument: Don't cast Cure 1 when you have Cure 2 available. Ever. Your time and DPS is more valuable than the tiny amount of MP you save casting 'efficient' spells. Especially once you get Holy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree with that quoted statement if you replace "only using Cure II" with "only using GCD heals"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arist posted:

I agree with that quoted statement if you replace "only using Cure II" with "only using GCD heals"
:hmmyes: That, and "use Lucid Dreaming as often as possible" is a valid point, yeah.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Arist posted:

I would imagine there's more later but for a sprout in the early stages of Heavensward my oGCD heals are... Benediction and Assize, the first of which has a 3min cooldown and the latter of which has a 90s cooldown :negative:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sassassin posted:

I'm okay with GNB before Continuation because you still have resource spenders for a burst phase. Missing the gap closer (56) feels worse and there's just a load of junk between that and 70.

WHM is fine after Regen at 35.

GNB has two breakpoints for me: lack of Continuation making the class feel very slow, and lack of the AOE spender.

DNC I've complained about before not having Closed Position when downsynced below 60. Both classes I feel lose a bit of "identity" not having those signature abilities, and I'm on record saying I'd trade early dancer AOE to have my class signature ability.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

quiggy posted:

I would imagine there's more later but for a sprout in the early stages of Heavensward my oGCD heals are... Benediction and Assize, the first of which has a 3min cooldown and the latter of which has a 90s cooldown :negative:

This is a problem I have with how much the community shouts DON'T USE GCD HEALS. This is good advice at like, lv 70+, where each job has a ton of OGCD healing tools and, with proper spacing and usage, only need to use GCD heals in big emergencies. Before then, healers often don't have enough OGCD tools to rely on them entirely, and the community harping about how "using GCD heals is bad" makes it feel like you're doing something wrong. If you need to use GCD heals to save someone from dying, use them! It's okay!! You do want to try to minimize their usage so you can deal more damage, but they're tools that should be used.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That being said, when you do have to use a GCD heal, use the best one you've got (probably Cure 2, maybe Cure 3 or Medica 2 if everyone took a hit) so you can get back to DPSing quicker.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve been doing a lot of leveling dungeons and sage is crazy it’s like a disco / Death Star thing happening everywhere

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

euphronius posted:

I’ve been doing a lot of leveling dungeons and sage is crazy it’s like a disco / Death Star thing happening everywhere
Sage is so much fun and I hardly play WHM in roulettes any more, both because Sage is more fun from like 30 all the way to 70, and because why would I be a mage when I could be SHOOTING LASERS. And healing. WITH LASERS.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Idk if you know wheel of time (which I am reading now ) but it feels like an Aes Sedai from the age of legends joins the party and your medieval level tech rear end is suddenly obsolete

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

From a mechanical perspective, Sage is interesting because they’re a shield healer without great crisis healing/triage options, but they also strongly reward even basic forethought. WHM is probably better for blind-running content if you’re worried about getting sucker punched by a mechanic, but once you know a dungeon, SGE really is Laser King.

And there’s nothing to make you feel like the Big Dick Healer like throwing down a Eukrasian Diagnosis and a damage reduction and seeing a tankbuster deal 0 damage because your shield literally ate it all.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Regen is good. Use Regen. Especially now that it doesn't continually peel off aggro anymore. A good Regen will keep a tank alive through a pull almost completely by itself at lower levels if everyone's on the ball.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly once you get Taurochole, that and Druochole are pretty strong "someone needs healing now" buttons, and Ixochole + Pepsis works great for the whole party. I'm only at 80 so maybe this changes at the endgame, but it feels a bit weird calling sage a "shield healer" when it has tons of options to heal people and I rarely feel like I actually am putting out that many shields outside of (pan)haima.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Shields are mostly a trap to depend on. They're absolutely vital in things like savage or higher, but anything less they're just kinda there because I'm using free things like Seraph or one of the Haimas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah I only ever really use the GCD shields if the boss is untargetable or between pulls

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

euphronius posted:

Idk if you know wheel of time (which I am reading now ) but it feels like an Aes Sedai from the age of legends joins the party and your medieval level tech rear end is suddenly obsolete

brb making a "smooth out skirt/pull braid" emote

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly once you get Taurochole, that and Druochole are pretty strong "someone needs healing now" buttons, and Ixochole + Pepsis works great for the whole party. I'm only at 80 so maybe this changes at the endgame, but it feels a bit weird calling sage a "shield healer" when it has tons of options to heal people and I rarely feel like I actually am putting out that many shields outside of (pan)haima.
You know what, that's fair. 'Shield healer' vs 'regen healer' is a dumb dichotomy and they don't even stick with it themselves.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wish I had unlimited time to play all these dumb jobs .

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

girl dick energy posted:

You know what, that's fair. 'Shield healer' vs 'regen healer' is a dumb dichotomy and they don't even stick with it themselves.

I'm not an expert on the jobs, but it seems like the "regen healers" have both single target and AoE regen options they can apply at will (as in, not on long cooldowns), while "shield healers" likewise have shields they can apply at will, while the converse is not true.

Although both shield healers are kinda better identified as "passive healers", since both have ways to heal while focusing on DPS.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Shields are mostly a trap to depend on. They're absolutely vital in things like savage or higher, but anything less they're just kinda there because I'm using free things like Seraph or one of the Haimas.

Sage incentivizes using Eukrasian Diagnosis with Addersting though. Is it best to optimize Toxikon usage or ignore it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toxikon is a straight-up DPS loss in single-target unless you have to move.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DalaranJ posted:

Sage incentivizes using Eukrasian Diagnosis with Addersting though. Is it best to optimize Toxikon usage or ignore it?

If you have to use an E. Diagnosis because you can literally do nothing else, go ahead and use it. It's not worth using it just to proc the Toxikon, because they're only as strong as a single Dosis, but takes two casts to deal that damage.

Plus you'll burn through your MP by using E. Diag too often.

Go into each fight assuming you'll have 3 Toxikons to ration, unless there's downtime.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 17, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alxprit posted:

Regen is good. Use Regen. Especially now that it doesn't continually peel off aggro anymore. A good Regen will keep a tank alive through a pull almost completely by itself at lower levels if everyone's on the ball.

Regen is very good, and the fact that it's an instant cast means you can stick it on the tank right before they pull so your GCD can be spent getting into position! I love that spell :swoon:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm not an expert on the jobs, but it seems like the "regen healers" have both single target and AoE regen options they can apply at will (as in, not on long cooldowns), while "shield healers" likewise have shields they can apply at will, while the converse is not true.

Although both shield healers are kinda better identified as "passive healers", since both have ways to heal while focusing on DPS.

Yeah this is true. That being said, "shield healers" gave me the impression that the majority of their tools are based around applying / upkeeping shields, when it actuality its a relatively small part of their toolkit.

Arist posted:

Toxikon is a straight-up DPS loss in single-target unless you have to move.

Yeah this, it's main use is to keep dps up when movement is required. When you have downtime make sure to apply shields to refill stacks, but otherwise save stacks for when you can't stand still.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The shield-vs-pure healer dichotomy is really a high end raiding concept, where attacks that deal >100% of everyone's health in damage are common. For instance, the current final boss has multiple attacks that hit for around 62 000 damage, and a bigger attack that hits for 80 000 damage. A caster doing that fight on week 1 had around 60 000 health.

Vastly simplified: Sage and Scholar have on-demand shields and low cooldown damage reductions, so they end up with the primary responsibility for making sure those types of mechanic don't one-shot anyone. White Mage and Astrologian have on-demand heal-over-times, so they end up with the primary responsibility for making sure health bars go back up sufficiently before the next attack.

In practice there's more to it. GCD heals remain an only-if-needed thing and you should try to top people up without resorting to Medica 2, applying appropriate mitigation for big hits is a group responsibility through Addle, Feint, Troubadour, etc.

Sage's and Scholar's passive healing is mostly immaterial in Savage and up. It's helpful, don't get me wrong, but not a core part of their kit. In dungeons it'll matter more, but so do other passive things like the Holy stun.

DalaranJ posted:

As mentioned, Toxicon is mostly a consolation prize. It does less actual aoe than Dyskrasia and the same damage to the priority target as a Dosis. Toxicon is only valuable if either it lets you get a cast in when you otherwise couldn't due to range or movement, or if you can specifically target the mob that will die last and get value from the priority damage. If you Toxicon some mob that dies early in a pull then the priority damage is "wasted", since that mob would've died to other aoes.

That said, in dungeons it's a good idea to use E. Diagnosis on the tank, yourself, and ideally whoever else you have time to between pulls to build up your Stings for "free" if you have time. If the tank doesn't let you get aggro on anything to pop the shield -- unfortunately more difficult now that Kardia does no enmity -- then stand in a ground target aoe to pop the shield.

These are teeny tiny optimizations and how much you want to care about either of them is up to you. Toxicon ultimately isn't that important right now except as a mobility tool.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Does the companion phone app do anything to make it worth using? It looks pretty worthless unless you chat with your friends a lot or you really want to spend hours micromanaging your inventories while not logged in. I mean, I wouldn't mind having an extra chocobo saddlebag, but I don't want to pay five bucks a month for the privilege.

Granted, if it let you manage your ventures, I'd be firing off quick explorations from the bus every day.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think you get a cool emote

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think it's the "swipe through your tomestone" emote?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

I think it's the "swipe through your tomestone" emote?

Yes that's the one for registering the app.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm sorry, the companion app costs an additional fee? :psyduck:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tying the companion app to your account is free and grants the emote.

for an additional fee you get a retainer, an additional favorite teleport, and some stuff in the app I've never actually heard anyone use

e: the additional teleport is also free. my bad. subbing does get you a second chocobo saddlebag though.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 18, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vitamean posted:

tying the companion app to your account is free and grants the emote.

for an additional fee you get a retainer, an additional favorite teleport, and some stuff in the app I've never actually heard anyone use

e: the additional teleport is also free. my bad. subbing does get you a second chocobo saddlebag though.

ah yeah that makes more sense

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Basically install the app, get the emote then uninstall the app

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hexwren posted:

this was the city of heroes solution and it absolutely sucked

me, level squat with like two different kinds of GCD fireball and nothing else teamed up with the level infinity guy I knew, who synched down to my level but still had a full rotation and a bunch of OGCDs so was still wiping out entire rooms of guys before I even finished one

that's not entirely true, in CoH you got abilities up to your sync level +5, so if you synced down to 30 you'd have access to your level 35 ability, but nothing beyond that. it was really quite similar to how FF14 handles it right now, with the exception it also let low-level player sync up to their high level friends to solve the whole "you must spend 20 hours until you hit the content your friends play" problem MMOs regularly suffer from

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

a cartoon duck posted:

it also let low-level player sync up to their high level friends to solve the whole "you must spend 20 hours until you hit the content your friends play" problem MMOs regularly suffer from

The problem with this was that it gave you the correct stats for your sync-up level, but it didn't give you your synched-level toolkit, which could get pretty messy if you were playing support. (A friend of mine in CoH once asked me to tank a level 30-some instance for him because nobody else was online. My highest-level tank was level 10, and it turns out a sidekicked level 10 tank had high survivability but no actual aggro-control kit, in a game that didn't have any real passive aggro tools. That, uh, that didn't work out!)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Warmachine posted:

GNB has two breakpoints for me: lack of Continuation making the class feel very slow, and lack of the AOE spender.

DNC I've complained about before not having Closed Position when downsynced below 60. Both classes I feel lose a bit of "identity" not having those signature abilities, and I'm on record saying I'd trade early dancer AOE to have my class signature ability.

Eh I get you but DNC is a beast AoE at lower levels and closed position then doesn’t make that big a difference. As a DNC ‘main’ I’d be fine either way but our AE early is kinda fun. Course I haven’t synched down on my dancer in a long while either so…

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

squirrelzipper posted:

Eh I get you but DNC is a beast AoE at lower levels and closed position then doesn’t make that big a difference. As a DNC ‘main’ I’d be fine either way but our AE early is kinda fun. Course I haven’t synched down on my dancer in a long while either so…

DNC is fine without closed position, and it's really one of the best classes to do low-level dungeons with because you get standard step super early. You can go nuke entire packs in Sastasha, it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Ranged physical DPS in general are amazing in low level dungeons due to getting potent aoe skills very early, but yeah dancer stands above even them because standard step is absurd 15-50