Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Honestly though, this is a great illustration of what happens when liberals co-opt leftists spaces. Bog it down with inconsequential nonsense and gut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Honestly though, this is a great illustration of what happens when liberals co-opt leftists spaces. Bog it down with inconsequential nonsense and gut it.

I think even like a modicum of transparency to at least pretend to show that donations are going to help people and aren't getting pocketed isn't the death of communism and the triumph of neoliberalism on these our very forums but that's just my opinion I guess.

all plinkey really had to do was just write down anonymous records of what went out, which apparently was doxxing until Jeff asked them to do it, so hey maybe it all works out in the end. it's really hard to take the stance that says any transparency is impossible and will doxx extremely vulnerable people when the uk thread has somehow managed to do it for years and its not really a big deal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I think even like a modicum of transparency to at least pretend to show that donations are going to help people and aren't getting pocketed isn't the death of communism and the triumph of neoliberalism on these our very forums but that's just my opinion I guess.

all plinkey really had to do was just write down anonymous records of what went out, which apparently was doxxing until Jeff asked them to do it, so hey maybe it all works out in the end. it's really hard to take the stance that says any transparency is impossible and will doxx extremely vulnerable people when the uk thread has somehow managed to do it for years and its not really a big deal

It's good to have transparency in efforts especially if they involve money. That should be what every leftist group or effort strives for. l It's very weird to see people posting about how that is "lib poo poo".

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's good to have transparency in efforts especially if they involve money. That should be what every leftist group or effort strives for. l It's very weird to see people posting about how that is "lib poo poo".

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Plinkey should be held more accountable, but accountability does not involve accusing him of skimming money for his gambling addiction.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There's just a fine line between wanting more transparency and then bogging an effort down in so much bureaucracy that you destroy the initiative before it can even begin
In general, if something is functioning like the CIA's literal handbook to disrupt organizations, reconsider the paths being taken
https://twitter.com/page_eco/status/1292236241610502144?s=20&t=J2wPtQSk9zd3ghZ9FMf9Og

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

100%

that said if the outcome of this whole thing is that a good thing gets shut down and a committee debates rules for a year with nothing to replace it that will objectively suck

plinkeys concept that highly values quick results, trust/respect for people who need help, is a good thing and just needs a public (anonymous) record of cash flow, and ideally to avoid the 20% patreon cut. that was my very low effort takeaway anyhow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its called organising because you are organised you larping fucks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There's just a fine line between wanting more transparency and then bogging an effort down in so much bureaucracy that you destroy the initiative before it can even begin
In general, if something is functioning like the CIA's literal handbook to disrupt organizations, reconsider the paths being taken
https://twitter.com/page_eco/status/1292236241610502144?s=20&t=J2wPtQSk9zd3ghZ9FMf9Og

Do you think that community oversight over something like this a big ask? I haven't read every single page of this thread but from what I have read no one seems to be asking for the bureaucratic levels that you are suggesting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think theres a significant difference between "a couple trusted folks vote on approving a request" and "draconian bureaucratic hell world that takes 9 years to navigate"

E: I've been sitting on this quote for an eventual china argument, wasnt expecting it to be applicable here

Organization and taking precautions is not the sole domain of liberals looking to means test aid to 0, and doing otherwise makes it really easy to collapse your poo poo

Theres a lot of questions and tape to tackle around forming an NGO and getting tax-exempt status (which I think is worth doing, to avoid taxation on donations & offer the deductible incentive), but the actual "aid to people" bit is exactly the same as the start of the thread: someone asks for aid -> a group of folks check it -> person gets aid

Neurolimal has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Oct 17, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm saying until you get a tax expert talking to someone in this thread, all the speculation of how to form this are entirely theoretical and probably very wrong. So you need to crowdsource hopefully from the community, someone who has expertise on doing that in the US, or at least put out legitimate feelers to other organizations before you even begin to talk about how to disburse theoretical money because it may not be a case where legally a committee gets to vote in a way that could be viewed as discriminatory to the recipient without documenting why a disbursement happened or not (which is something that prior document suggests might be necessary)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

I'm saying until you get a tax expert talking to someone in this thread, all the speculation of how to form this are entirely theoretical and probably very wrong. So you need to crowdsource hopefully from the community, someone who has expertise on doing that in the US, or at least put out legitimate feelers to other organizations before you even begin to talk about how to disburse theoretical money because it may not be a case where legally a committee gets to vote in a way that could be viewed as discriminatory to the recipient without documenting why a disbursement happened or not (which is something that prior document suggests might be necessary)

spoiler alert they're not gonna do poo poo lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

come on dude

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 54 days!
if no one trying to get this off the ground can get a single bfc numbers nerd to volunteer some time you dont deserve to run it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

come on dude

I thought they were going to stop posting when they claimed such in qcs but I guess I'm a moron

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

yeah, there have been people posting here with actual experience with various nonprofits

how much of that experience transfers to running a nationwide cash-disbursing charity i don't know

but the first step would be to get a few of those goons and see if any of them are willing to put their names on the papers to get this goon project incorporated

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dustcat posted:

yeah, there have been people posting here with actual experience with various nonprofits

how much of that experience transfers to running a nationwide cash-disbursing charity i don't know

but the first step would be to get a few of those goons and see if any of them are willing to put their names on the papers to get this goon project incorporated

i think also it would be good to get a list of questions to be answered by a tax lawyer, to get a sense of what the best options and dos/donts are.

that's gonna take some cash. if someone wants to start a Google doc of questions I'd be happy to chip in for initial lawyer consultation once people know what they want to ask

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

fun hater posted:

you could literally just set up a wordpress site with a plug-in specifically for charities. for 250 a year, charitable eats the processing fees and it generates a bunch of data for you. you could even incentivize donations by attaching something to the donation receipt.

im not understanding this obsession with anonymity or how impossible it is to manage taxes for a charity or rules for voting. if the board chosen by the person running the charity can generate data showing its not being misappropriated and keeps a tally of monthly denied requests that can be expounded upon, then whats the problem

e: lmfao come on with this lawyer sandbagging poo poo.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

speng31b posted:

i think also it would be good to get a list of questions to be answered by a tax lawyer, to get a sense of what the best options and dos/donts are.

that's gonna take some cash. if someone wants to start a Google doc of questions I'd be happy to chip in for initial lawyer consultation once people know what they want to ask

I also am more than willing to help pay for consultation with a lawyer, if it ends up being necessary.

I’d like to help beyond that but I don’t really know where to begin. What do you even need for something like this?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

speng31b posted:

well my first question would be "can our nonprofit disburse cash to someone in another state when all that is known about them is a username and an email address" because if there's some KYC/antiterrorism law reason that you'd need to verify their real identity then things get complicated

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

fun hater posted:

im not understanding this obsession with anonymity
culturally we are taught to feel shame from asking for charity hat in hand and by making it known its anonymous may lead to some who wouldn't seek help do so

also, doxxing and whatnot, for what that's worth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's very funny plinkey came in to get mad at people for derailing his gambling fund instead of literally any other response that might make him look legit

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Dustcat posted:

well my first question would be "can our nonprofit disburse cash to someone in another state when all that is known about them is a username and an email address" because if there's some KYC/antiterrorism law reason that you'd need to verify their real identity then things get complicated

?????????? what on earth.

World Famous W posted:

culturally we are taught to feel shame from asking for charity hat in hand and by making it known its anonymous may lead to some who wouldn't seek help do so

also, doxxing and whatnot, for what that's worth

im on food stamps man, i get it. but the idea that someone is going to get doxxed bc someone made a note in a ledger w their username and amount paid is delusional. its not like that info has to be forward facing. just kept on hand for accounting purposes

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

fun hater posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

O_o

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

fun hater posted:

im on food stamps man, i get it. but the idea that someone is going to get doxxed bc someone made a note in a ledger w their username and amount paid is delusional. its not like that info has to be forward facing. just kept on hand for accounting purposes
ok, do we have to prove how poor we are now? i will if so but would prefer not to. either way, that's what others have brought forward

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Keep poo poo anonymous, poor people don't need to feel like they're on another list

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ButterSkeleton posted:

Keep poo poo anonymous, poor people don't need to feel like they're on another list

No but what if they're terrorists? This is a very real and legitimate concern and no motion should happen on this fund unless it is solved to my personal satisfaction.

e; if you do not follow my demands, there will be a QCS thread I can promise you that

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
weird how everyone keeps posting hypotheticals for how this is impossible and will doxx people yet there's a fund ongoing for 3 years that manages to both help people without doxxing them and be transparent about their donations

ah well, nevertheless

fun hater
May 24, 2009

World Famous W posted:

ok, do we have to prove how poor we are now? i will if so but would prefer not to. either way, that's what others have brought forward

i dont care

ButterSkeleton posted:

all lists are the same, including the ones my friends make to help me with finances. its exactly like being on the fbi most wanted

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

searching post histories to own people who have asked for money to survive tough times

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

fun hater posted:

i dont care

all lists are the same, including the ones my friends make to help me with finances. its exactly like being on the fbi most wanted

Do you have any empathy for people or do you have a personality disorder lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

WoodrowSkillson posted:

searching post histories to own people who have asked for money to survive tough times

Who is doing this?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

World Famous W posted:

I don’t see why you would have to.

It can be easily obfuscated, too. Change the username in the document to User A or User 1 so that when you check the documents all you see is that User A asked for $25 in June and $10 September, etc

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

fun hater posted:

i dont care
then why ask?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is going to take years. Enjoy.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ButterSkeleton posted:

Do you have any empathy for people or do you have a personality disorder lol

ive been posting charity suggestions for a forum i find morally repugnant. im going straight to heaven for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

fun hater posted:

no, it's a genuine question: is it legal for the charity to disburse all this cash to people it doesn't know the identities of? maybe it is, maybe it even obviously is, but i don't know personally