Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah don’t force yourself down the “higher speeds = good player” rabbit hole.

Gonna give me flashbacks of trying to play O2Jam with scrubs playing the easiest possible songs on like 12x speed…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Yeah don’t force yourself down the “higher speeds = good player” rabbit hole.

Gonna give me flashbacks of trying to play O2Jam with scrubs playing the easiest possible songs on like 12x speed…

Didn't o2jam use pixel based timing, so extremely high/low scroll speed and high/low BPM made songs much easier to time in some scenarios?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DanAdamKOF posted:

Didn't o2jam use pixel based timing, so extremely high/low scroll speed and high/low BPM made songs much easier to time in some scenarios?

While that may have possibly been correct, it felt like playing Butterfly on Light on 16x speed regardless. So even if it helps it clearly ain’t worth it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Totally agreed. It sounds like you are forcing yourself to read at higher speeds than you are comfortable with. Just lower it down to 200, play some easier songs, and focus on your timing. Over time, you can crank up the speed a little bit as you become more comfortable.

Speed ain’t everything. I can comfortably AAA 13/14s and I play at about 400.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
And I don't think anybody said it yet, but it helps to train your aural skills by making sure your presses are audible and sharp. You should be audibly tapping (not necessarily stomping) so you can hear and judge your own timing.

Maybe others have different opinions on that.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hell do not compare yourself to other players unless you want to set that bar for yourself.

Anyone who plays any rhythm games is good in my book.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Katamari Democracy posted:

Anyone who plays any rhythm games is good in my book.

I wouldn't go that far, given how many awful sex pests have been exposed in the last five years or so.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I wouldn't go that far, given how many awful sex pests have been exposed in the last five years or so.

I do not really keep up with the best of the best. Already dipped my toes in some communities like for Happyf33tz and a few others and the communities there have been super toxic. Now I just play with my circle of friends and might find the oddball player or two and comment in their videos.

It's unfortunate that this community has some sex pests.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The PNW scene is pretty good. The Sound Voltex players could use some better etiquette when it comes to sharing, though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

holefoods posted:

The PNW scene is pretty good. The Sound Voltex players could use some better etiquette when it comes to sharing, though.

Yeah I dunno what the local etiquette here is but 9/10 times I go to south center R1 and see someone on the SDVX cabs I know I won't get a chance to get on them before I have to go.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
opposite experience here, the sound voltex regulars at MPM are all very chill & respect the coin line

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

HKR posted:

Yeah I dunno what the local etiquette here is but 9/10 times I go to south center R1 and see someone on the SDVX cabs I know I won't get a chance to get on them before I have to go.

They’re particularly bad about the Valkyries, usually like two or three of the same people camped out on them for hours. I’m closer to Puyallup so I’ve been frequenting the R1 that opened there and a few weeks ago I was there for like 5-6 hours and the same guy was on the Valk the entire time I was there. I just use the older models. I wouldn’t want to use the Valkyrie anyways, I’m at like 10-11 skill level and I’ve seen multiple instances in the R1 PNW discord server of pictures of people playing the tutorial on the Valkyrie and just being mocked. It really sucks.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

The knob game with guitar hero sheet music sucks anyway

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Just depends on your local scene unfortunately, the EC players I know are all quite respectful.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the general rule of thumb is that small and local communities can be insanely good but large ones usually end up toxic and elitist

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Boxman posted:

haha, just meant I feel like I'm in spitting distance of players I perceive of as "good". Rest assured I did not feel bad when I was reading things at, like, 200, and no one should feel bad for not setting their hi speed to "face melting"

Rhythm games are like running, it isn't like we're gonna overtake Chris4Life here, we're all just competing with ourselves.

Yeah, don't worry about comparing yourself to other players, it's you vs. the game. Sure, there's a competitive side, but most of the time the rival/score stuff is just used as a general benchmark for improving yourself.

I'm certainly not bad at DDR, I can pass 15's and 16's, but of course I feel bad when comparing myself to top level players. But I still get compliments from random people when I'm clearing boss songs, even if the scores aren't that great.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Are there any IIDX games or contemporary sims (like Lunatic Rave) that let you use training mode or something similar on the more recent song releases? For example, being able to slow songs down like you could on the PS2 home versions.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

Mercury_Storm posted:

Are there any IIDX games or contemporary sims (like Lunatic Rave) that let you use training mode or something similar on the more recent song releases? For example, being able to slow songs down like you could on the PS2 home versions.

I don't understand why Infinitas doesn't have training mode. I despise Infinitas, but I'd sign up today if Konami added training mode to it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Mercury_Storm posted:

beatoraja does have that functionality (and it works very well) but i don’t know if you can use it for IIDX convert BMS. there was some hubbub about how the game wouldn’t load if it detected an illegal BMS but i think it got removed i do not know tho

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
This took me way too long to finally pass. I really, and I mean really can not stand steps that do illusion gimmicks like this.

Crossing Delta S21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMdX2X6y-8

I was happy to finally pass it and recorded. But Christ.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Golden Cross is going to be the death of me. It’s the last 4 in the PS2 games from 10 on that I can’t pass. I’m passing some 6s at this point. Golden Cross just manages to hit all of my weak spots, it’s amazing.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
It took me three years to get to this moment. But this is one of the hardest single songs in pump it up history and a very big milestone for me. But I finally done it.

1949 S26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tILqQ4RkNUU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Katamari Democracy posted:

It took me three years to get to this moment. But this is one of the hardest single songs in pump it up history and a very big milestone for me. But I finally done it.

1949 S26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tILqQ4RkNUU

That looks utterly ridiculous. Congrats!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Harriet Carker posted:

That looks utterly ridiculous. Congrats!

Oh we can go even further beyond that level.

Apollo S30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUAfr9l0dCg

This is inhuman. I have seen someone stage pass this beta song and I just about lost it. It requires A lot of mashing

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Apollo is such a banger, one of my favorite otoge songs in recent years.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The era of IIDX 30 has begun, RIP Twinkroom

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

holefoods posted:

The era of IIDX 30 has begun, RIP Twinkroom

And I spent so much money to unlock How to make Otoge core just last august

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I really hope people don't mind me uploading PIU stuff on here. Im just that passionate I guess!

Allegro Con Fuoco S23 Full Song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1HP_rt-51M

I have been meaning to pass this for at least a few months. The only thing that had me weird on were the Bee stings in the 3/4th part of the song onwards. Headphone warning I do pop in anger near the end because I always wanted to say those things when I finally beaten the song.

From S18 onward I would like to stress I do this on a keyboard. The flesh is weaker than the mind.

I am curious if Beatmania is doable at home? I think I have seen controllers that do these types of rhythm games and more but I was always a Pump it Up/DDR nerd. Also played Friday night Funkin and that game is kind of ok!

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

beatmania and IIDX have been playable at home on controllers for like 25 years

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

DanAdamKOF posted:

beatmania and IIDX have been playable at home on controllers for like 25 years

Thats what I get for not researching. But I noticed it was owned by Konami and ehhh.

Back to Pump side of things. I got a new mechanical switch keyboard with the whole RGB, N-key rollover, and a slew of extra stuff that has made my quality of life playing pump it up a whole lot better. While not as clicky as my previous keyboard; its enough to actually feel way more comfortable and register better when playing. I have a few clips I made earlier today that I can notice a big difference.

Ruffneck S19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baNNDYnUk60

Hey Yah! (Remix) S19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf6-2fwQ3jo

Mobius S23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igxW203su58

Ghost Ride it S13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9dW7qqEH4I

I'd say it was a good investment. Maybe in the future I can have an in-game but also hand camera.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What's the current recommended PS2 > USB converter to use with a USKOC on PC? Thanks in advance

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

You’re gonna have a bad time with USKOC, unless there’s some godlike converter that’s out there that is meant to handle its quirks. Basically a typical converter will have massive jitter with USKOC, where hitting JG consistently is not really possible.

If you have some DIY skill you could wire in a USBemani, they also output ps2 if you need it.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

You’re gonna have a bad time with USKOC, unless there’s some godlike converter that’s out there that is meant to handle its quirks. Basically a typical converter will have massive jitter with USKOC, where hitting JG consistently is not really possible.

If you have some DIY skill you could wire in a USBemani, they also output ps2 if you need it.

Yeah I remember this from years ago, sad it never changed.

I have a JKOC as well but my US one is modded with a cereal box and stuff. The JKOC would work way better with my brooks converter?

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Elephunk posted:

Yeah I remember this from years ago, sad it never changed.

I have a JKOC as well but my US one is modded with a cereal box and stuff. The JKOC would work way better with my brooks converter?

Yeah it should. I recall that you can swap halves around on key panels and get one panel to fit in the other region controller, if it lets the USKOC panel work on JKOC then you’re in luck.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

Yeah it should. I recall that you can swap halves around on key panels and get one panel to fit in the other region controller, if it lets the USKOC panel work on JKOC then you’re in luck.

You mean the two horizontal plastic halves of the detachable 7keys? Holy poo poo. I never thought of that.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Elephunk posted:

You mean the two horizontal plastic halves of the detachable 7keys? Holy poo poo. I never thought of that.

Yep those ones!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Still ironing out some kinks and have a couple things I'd like to add, but I'm really, really happy with how this turned out!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

drat. i haven't though of the trip the deep tag line in a while. setup looks good!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Got to play Resident today, I’m still not very good at the game but I’m pretty solid on 5s and it seems like a lot of the 5s here are a lot harder than I’d expect them to be. The cut down menus are great, it feels so much faster to start a game. Gonna miss that Cast Hour menu music, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

holefoods posted:

I’m pretty solid on 5s and it seems like a lot of the 5s here are a lot harder than I’d expect them to be

If you find older 5s to be harder (like, before Empress (16) or so) that's because they are kinda dumb and the difficulty on them are a bit all over the place. Also, a Light 7 song rated 5 is (usually) easier than a 7 key song rated 5. So just running down the list of 5s might not be the best approach, but rather try to tackle the newer songs first and see if you have more success. :)