Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is the subpoena for a public hearing or a closed hearing?

If he's on TV he might not be able to hold back from grandstanding.

I assume they'll treat him like everyone, which is a closed deposition where only the committee does the recording. I suppose they might let Trump's lawyers make their own copy of it so they can hack together whatever they want to make into an ad, after which the committee can just release more complete videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The one advantage to bringing Trump in is it gets the committee's reach out to include people who normally wouldn't watch. That said, idk what they gain by getting trump diehards to watch, I don't think there's much ground to be gained there and they've already been pretty successful at targeting conservatives and independents.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

V-Men posted:

I assume they'll treat him like everyone, which is a closed deposition where only the committee does the recording. I suppose they might let Trump's lawyers make their own copy of it so they can hack together whatever they want to make into an ad, after which the committee can just release more complete videos.

If they give a copy to his lawyers, you can bet that it would be leaked online by them before the week is out, by Trump claiming that they did it to harm his image while also saying he leaked it to show how unfair they were being to him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump would speak over all the members of the committee like his debate with biden, and probably walk out at some point.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This is all fun to talk about but he will never ever ever testify or be deposed.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

This is all fun to talk about but he will never ever ever testify or be deposed.

I anticipate that he gets subpoena'd to appear before a federal grand jury on the documents matter before the end of the year. We may not hear about it (lol, Trump will whine the moment he gets the subpoena) but we know they have been interrogating people around him (including Bobb) for a couple of months now.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
If he wants to do it live I think he’ll talk. I think he wants to make it into a self serving circus and he thinks he can avoid incriminating himself.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 17, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Automata 10 Pack posted:

If he wants to do it live I think he’ll talk. I think he wants to make it into a self serving circus and he thinks he can avoid incriminating himself.

There is zero chance that the Committee would ever even consider letting that happen.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

mdemone posted:

There is zero chance that the Committee would ever even consider letting that happen.

Let's say they let him testify live. Will it be a ridiculous spectacle? Absolutely. Will he be out of control like in the debates? Absolutely. But will be also basically confess to crimes? There's a non zero chance. And I would think it would be worth the spectacle just to let him confess under oath.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
There is precisely zero chance any live testimony from Trump would not result in him perjuring himself repeatedly, likely within the first semi-coherent run-on sentence he uttered.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Trump's testimony will be various volumes of

"that's an unfair question"
"Why are you bullying me"
"I already answered that you're not even listening this is a sham"
"Your committee can't ask that"
"The radical Democrats are being unfair to me right now"
"What about Hillary"

repeated ad nauseum for four hours. Why would you televise that and let him convince people he's the victim?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He would just claim executive privilege or attorney client privilege, yes neither of those make sense but that would be his excuse to not answer anything.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"What about Hillary"

repeated ad nauseum for four hours. Why would you televise that and let him convince people he's the victim?

Cut his mic every time he goes off topic. Have him on a short delay so you can get it at the beginning and then make him go through his attorney to request his mic be turned back on for the next question.

"President Trump requests his mic be turned on so that he may answer the question."

"Will Mr. Trump stay on topic and answer only the question asked."

"He says call him, "President"

"No. Will he stay on topic?"

Also, every time he goes off topic stop the hearing and have a staff attorney just spend 10 minutes, with slides, going over everything that refutes what ever he just said.

No don't, I'd die of laughter.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alternatively: no, let's not do any of that. He can testify in his own defense later.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I think the most likely outcome is Trump suffers no actual consequences that look like consequences to the people who want him to see justice. That’s just how it goes for the rich in America. We don’t put you in jail if you’re a child molester named DuPont, a scammer named Musk, or a [long list of things] named Trump.

If you do that you undermine the essential promise all wealthy people believe about America, a promise we keep: money talks. If you break that promise, no matter how egregious the offense, what can they even believe in? They know all the American Dream stuff is a load of bullshit fed to Customers, but they know better than that.

If you make Trump face consequences you tell the people who are in charge that America is a lie.

The silver lining is a lot of people becoming disenchanted and turning to the obvious leftist answers for why this has happened. Be ready to talk your MSNBC-loving parents and loved ones through this difficult time, you have a responsibility to the future.

“The justice system ultimately is about protecting property, and the US government is public property, and thus the least valuable kind in a capitalist society. You trespassing at Mar A Lago would have much more serious, life-altering consequences for you than Trump will ever face for everything he has done. That’s the system working as intended.”

selec fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 17, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

selec posted:

The silver lining is a lot of people becoming disenchanted and turning to the obvious leftist answers for why this has happened.

:allears: this is adorably optimistic.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

selec posted:

The silver lining is a lot of people becoming disenchanted and turning to the obvious leftist answers for why this has happened. Be ready to talk your MSNBC-loving parents and loved ones through this difficult time, you have a responsibility to the future.

The democrats (a center-right party) are considered too far left by a huge portion of the American population. The GOP is doing their best to kill women and trans people, and also make it impossible to have a fair election ever again, and they're on track to gain control of the House.

The US public is not turning to leftists in any appreciable number. It's far more likely that Joe Biden will face consequences for Hunter's imagined crimes than any sort of leftist revolution.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Murgos posted:

Cut his mic every time he goes off topic. Have him on a short delay so you can get it at the beginning and then make him go through his attorney to request his mic be turned back on for the next question.

"President Trump requests his mic be turned on so that he may answer the question."

Also, every time he goes off topic stop the hearing and have a staff attorney just spend 10 minutes, with slides, going over everything that refutes what ever he just said.

No poo poo, I’ve been imagining for the last five minutes what this would really be like, and I just cannot stop laughing.

quote:

make him go through his attorney to request his mic be turned back on for the next question

ROFL

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mdemone posted:

yeah I agree, there's just zero upside

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

selec posted:

"oh gently caress our son is so cringe"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fart Amplifier posted:

The democrats (a center-right party) are considered too far left by a huge portion of the American population. The GOP is doing their best to kill women and trans people, and also make it impossible to have a fair election ever again, and they're on track to gain control of the House.

The US public is not turning to leftists in any appreciable number. It's far more likely that Joe Biden will face consequences for Hunter's imagined crimes than any sort of leftist revolution.

The US public is definitely trending left amongst Millennials and Zoomers, it just doesn't matter in the face of our electoral systems and voter suppression.

Edit: More on topic, they probably don't need trump to take the stand. The guy has done enough self-incrimination that I don't think we really need to give the guy air time just on the off chance he further admits to doing more crimes.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 18, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Yeah, I mentioned it before but all you gotta do is tell him that he'll get huge ratings and that his congressional testimony will crush the numbers Hillary got. I'm not even kidding.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 18, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Murgos posted:

Yeah I imagine it’ll go something like that. An absolute shitshow. it’ll still be spun as a win tho (and thus, a real win, lol)

Hasn’t he already perjured himself a trillion times anyways? What’s a few hundred more?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Hasn’t he already perjured himself a trillion times anyways? What’s a few hundred more?
When? In what context has he been under oath?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

"oh gently caress our son is so cringe"

There is nothing more cringe than a liberal who still thinks the justice system is just

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Failboattootoot posted:

The US public is definitely trending left amongst Millennials and Zoomers, it just doesn't matter in the face of our electoral systems and voter suppression.

Hippies said you should never trust anyone over 30. Then they turned into Boomers and stole the future from millennials and Zoomers while telling Gen X they were on their own. Gen X saw The End of History and put an end to the Reagan era by voting in record lots to elect a Democrat with so much swag we believed it when he said he felt our pain while he dealt it out.

I think the hippies were on to something.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 18, 2022

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gen Z left turn is mostly a product of demographics, and while Gen Z minorities may become more conservative they probably won't become Trumpies, at least not in enough numbers to replenish the boomers

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The hippies-to-yuppies story was popular when Trump was still cheating on his first wife, and it wasn't really true then either. Hippies were a minority counterculture at their peak, but despite changing societal norms of the time boomers were always a relatively conservative generation, born in the cold war, too young to remember the New Deal being built but old enough to benefit from it, hearing constantly about the dangers of communism. Sure in some ways you can move right on social issues as you age by staying in place, but for the most part young liberal boomers became old liberal boomers, and young conservative boomers became old conservative boomers. Though that's another factor: due to wealth disparity and other demographic factors, fewer of the liberal ones became old.

I think a lot of why younger GenX/older Millennials buy so hard into that particular idea was how for like 30 years every entertainment medium loved playing up how every Boomer claimed to be at Woodstock and protested the war if they weren't drafted, and every fictional teenager learned at some point that their uptight parents used to be hippies. Add in a few real world pictures of your parents owning bellbottoms and it just all fills in.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"What about Hillary"

Pretty much this. He's not dumb enough to perjure himself; he's keenly cognizant of how close he can get to the line without crossing it. All you'll get is the committee attempting to keep him on topic and when they try, he'll just spin it as the committee not letting him speak the truth. I mean, we've seen his incoherent ramblings, it's not like his supporters pay attention to the entirety of his speeches -- they just focus on the key soundbytes and magnify them.

I doubt the committee even thinks the subpoena will work. After all, DoJ is only recommending six months for Bannon for defying the subpoena and isn't even bothering with Meadows, Navarre and others. Like Rhodes, Trump will only agree to do so if it's in a live broadcast or in front of a live studio audience, the committee will say no and it'll just sit there.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Killer robot posted:

The hippies-to-yuppies story was popular when Trump was still cheating on his first wife, and it wasn't really true then either. Hippies were a minority counterculture at their peak, but despite changing societal norms of the time boomers were always a relatively conservative generation, born in the cold war, too young to remember the New Deal being built but old enough to benefit from it, hearing constantly about the dangers of communism. Sure in some ways you can move right on social issues as you age by staying in place, but for the most part young liberal boomers became old liberal boomers, and young conservative boomers became old conservative boomers. Though that's another factor: due to wealth disparity and other demographic factors, fewer of the liberal ones became old.

I think a lot of why younger GenX/older Millennials buy so hard into that particular idea was how for like 30 years every entertainment medium loved playing up how every Boomer claimed to be at Woodstock and protested the war if they weren't drafted, and every fictional teenager learned at some point that their uptight parents used to be hippies. Add in a few real world pictures of your parents owning bellbottoms and it just all fills in.

Oh god, you made me remember that terrible movie with Kiefer Sutherland in it that goes pretty hard on pushing this idea.
'The 90s will make the 60s look like the 50s' LMAO

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Part of it too is the erasure of the social democratic character of the 60s movements in favor of a purely liberal anti-discrimination and idpol focus. The march on washington was as much a labor march as a march against racism narrowly defined as subjective discrimination on the basis of skin color

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

icantfindaname posted:

Part of it too is the erasure of the social democratic character of the 60s movements in favor of a purely liberal anti-discrimination and idpol focus. The march on washington was as much a labor march as a march against racism narrowly defined as subjective discrimination on the basis of skin color

My boomer FIL sent me an 'anti-cancel culture' article where the author claimed that :airquote:the woke left:airquote: is uniquely anti-capitalist; I laughed and started pulling up MLK quotes

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

selec posted:

Eh there will be a comfortable excuse for why we couldn't get him this time that shifts blame away from a system purposefully set up to protect the rich before the subject is quickly buried and a new shiny is dangled in front of MSNBC's audience, just like when nothing came of the long awaited and much ballyhooed Mueller Report.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

selec posted:

Are you sure more people aren't just going to turn apathetic or flock to fascism? Americans are definitely a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" kind of people in my experience.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I genuinely can't think of anything Trump could say (in public or under oath or otherwise) that would cost him any of the popular or institutional support he's held onto by this point. Tricking him into admitting his crimes? The only thing that his supporters love more than his crimes themselves are that him getting away with them makes their enemies mad. And hypothetical future criminal prosecution sure seems like it will be determined more by the DOJ's political risk/reward calculus than any fact pattern that might be affected or uncovered by his testimony.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are you sure more people aren't just going to turn apathetic or flock to fascism? Americans are definitely a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" kind of people in my experience.

I think it's going to be hard for people to turn to a hard enough line of fascism in the digital age where all their past communications are up for increasingly automated review for ideology. We're all hosed just based on these posts. Like a hundred million people protested at least once in 2020. Into the camps!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol. Another full aquital for Durham

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/18/politics/durham-investigation-igor-danchenko-trial/index.html

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wasn’t Durham supposed to be the ultra thorough type that wouldn’t bring charges without the goods? Funny how he went from that reputation to using his court filings to spread unfounded propaganda.

Sounds a bit like Ken Starr.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I totally thought Durham would get maybe one or two guilty verdicts out of five, but in my defense the judge threw out the charge I thought was a surefire guilty one. His grand jury a month ago expired so at this point I'm super looking forward to his report/fanfic where he says if he was the special counsel instead of Mueller he would realized the true true origins of the investigation and secretly turned the investigation back on the Demo-traitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What really annoys me about this is this bullshit about how this was 'partially funded by Hillary Clinton." Completely ignoring the reality that the Steele investigation was hired up by the GOP for oppo research against Trump during the GOP primaries.

Once he became the presumptive nominee, sure the Democrats picked it up.