Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Now that I think about it, why isn't there a nostalgia-bait sitcom about growing up in the 2000s?

The only good thing about the 2000s is that it was the golden age of the internet, and that doesn't make for especially compelling TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

emgeejay posted:

I'm reminded that Lisa organically adopting the slang "DMY" was some of the last genuinely clever comedy writing I saw on the show before I stopped watching, and that was... season 10, episode 1 (a holdover from season 9)

I’m also reminded of Homer vs. Patty & Selma when Bart and Mulhouse are taking their time to get to school on extracurricular sign-up day and a classmate says that “if they don’t get here soon, it’ll be T.S. for them.”

Surprised that one slid by.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

You Are A Elf posted:

I’m also reminded of Homer vs. Patty & Selma when Bart and Mulhouse are taking their time to get to school on extracurricular sign-up day and a classmate says that “if they don’t get here soon, it’ll be T.S. for them.”

I don't get it.

I've reached Season 8 and it's definitely gone weird places but I wouldn't say any of it's bad. I'm curious what made Hurricane Flanders so divisive among fans, though.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't get it.

Tough poo poo (the answer, not me telling you tough poo poo :v:)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

Tough poo poo (the answer, not me telling you tough poo poo :v:)

Oh duh, thanks.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

DaveWoo posted:

Now that I think about it, why isn't there a nostalgia-bait sitcom about growing up in the 2000s?

Pen15 on Hulu. Though it does lay it on heavy early on and gradually the era just becomes a backdrop. Highly recommended show though.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

FireWorksWell posted:

Oh duh, thanks.

:ocelot:

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't get it.

I've reached Season 8 and it's definitely gone weird places but I wouldn't say any of it's bad. I'm curious what made Hurricane Flanders so divisive among fans, though.

Hurricane Neddy is divisive? First time I’ve heard of this episode being polarizing among fans. It’s got a lot of great gags and a solid plot.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It kind of does the "Principal and the Pauper" thing where it drastically changes a character's backstory but then resets them so it doesn't matter. In this case, being that Ned's friendliness and "diddlies" are actually him repressing deep-rooted anger.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

Hurricane Neddy is divisive? First time I’ve heard of this episode being polarizing among fans. It’s got a lot of great gags and a solid plot.

Maybe I'm misremembering, I thought I'd heard of it being considered a starting point for bad Simpsons before.

Edit: Yeah, I've seen it compared to Principal and the Pauper, which I should be getting to soon actually.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I mean, Ned is still Ned in the end. It doesn’t really change a thing about his character, it just gives us some insight into his life (unlike Armin Tamzarian’s fabricated one) :shrug:

It’s when Homer films Ned’s pixelated monster dong in the shower that his character was cheapened.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't forget that Ned is canonically a senior citizen now

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

The problem is that the early 2000s sucked. There's nothing interesting or iconic about the fashion, music, or sociopolitical environment. I was a late teen / early 20s kid during that era. There's nothing I'm nostalgic about aside from that being before I was a balding middle age guy with a bad back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DaveWoo posted:

Don't forget that Ned is canonically a senior citizen now

Hurricane Neddy does actually work with that, given his parents are shown to be beatniks. Though also reminded of the one episode where he won't turn off the phone that Homer's autodialler keeps calling because he doesn't want to miss his mother calling.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I watched the latest episode, and one of the biggest problem is that it runs through the plot so quickly that it never takes the time to develop. It's like watching an outline. Plot points happen because they need to.

And so you end up with an episode that isn't about anything and has nothing to say.

And that's been the biggest problem with most of the episodes I've watched that were recent. The writers just cram so many plot points, that they forget that it doesn't make a plot. And so you get these stale, surface level jokes where moments don't develop and you don't really get to do anything.

The jokes end up falling victim to what a lot of adult animation falls victim to - the concept is the joke and they do no additional work to make it funny. Case in point, Krusty makes a lame joke, and the audience laughs in an uproar. We see a woman say "this is the kind of humor I can laugh at." That's it. It's the concept of the joke, and apparently the idea behind the joke is funny enough.

When did this get to be a thing comedy writers did?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw a tweet with the Kesha couch gag being praised for “going hard” and a bunch of kids being astonished that it predates Tick Tock. I want to be dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Because it doesn't actually matter if the Simpsons is good anymore.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw a tweet with the Kesha couch gag being praised for “going hard” and a bunch of kids being astonished that it predates Tick Tock. I want to be dead.

I don’t like that I’ve lived through like two major pop culture cycles as an adult.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

I saw an ad for season 34 on the phone and lold. How the gently caress.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Did you miss the punchline? When it turns out to stand for tethered swimming in the next scene.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Oh boy TS, that's where I don't feel right

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

DaveWoo posted:

2000's start with 9/11 and end with meltdown of the global economic system, so yeah.

Theoretically you could make a feel good sitcom set in 1930's Europe, but it's easy to see why nobody haven't.

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
Im really crapping angry about the Simpsons. Some kid at the playground said he enjoyed an episode from season 12 so naturally had both of my sons Chad and Brad kick his rear end for a solid 5 minutes. Little poo poo wont be talking smack about Marge vs The Monorail Written By Conan Freaking OBreain again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Grab Im Moor posted:

I saw an ad for season 34 on the phone and lold. How the gently caress.

Still maintaining that if your show outlives Jesus of Nazareth you should have to face some sort of reckoning

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do people actually say TS as an abbreviation for tough poo poo? I thought the whole joke was "what's the worst sport we can think of?"

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The problem is that the early 2000s sucked. There's nothing interesting or iconic about the fashion, music, or sociopolitical environment. I was a late teen / early 20s kid during that era. There's nothing I'm nostalgic about aside from that being before I was a balding middle age guy with a bad back.

Sounds like someone has forgotten.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Do people actually say TS as an abbreviation for tough poo poo? I thought the whole joke was "what's the worst sport we can think of?"

It was more common back then.

:thejoke: is you think the kid is saying something profane at first but he's actually describing a horrible PE class

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Back when the show was new, a kid saying "shut up" was seen as a swear by a large number of parents. As tame as the show seems now, it was actually pretty common to hear about friends who weren't allowed to watch the Simpsons. Being able to slip just the letters "TS" past the censors was a pretty big laugh at the time

Yes, this entire post is unironic

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's a lot of subtle jokes. Jazzhole surprised them they they could get that on the air. There's the Public library, except it's in disrepair and the L fell off. In the 18th Amendment episode there's "caulk, delicious caulk."

They got away with a lot of filthy jokes.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sentient Data posted:

Back when the show was new, a kid saying "shut up" was seen as a swear by a large number of parents. As tame as the show seems now, it was actually pretty common to hear about friends who weren't allowed to watch the Simpsons. Being able to slip just the letters "TS" past the censors was a pretty big laugh at the time

This.

Yes, it means tethered swimming, but It’s also a good laugh twice (the implication and the punchline) and something that got past the censors.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

have they done a flashback episode where high school age Homer gets an iPhone 3 with a fart app?
If not, I feel like its only a question of time

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Soon Homer will be old enough that they'll do a flashback episode about how he was an aspiring rapper when he was Bart's age and by the time he graduated high school he got a record contract. The episode is built around Bart finding a bunch of Homer's old CDs at a rummage sale, with titles like "Homersexual", "The Homergasm", "The Homertorius B.I.G."

The entire family except Marge and Homer laugh hysterically at the songs, but Homer insists he wasn't doing parody rap, it was hardcore and serious about street life and you kids shouldn't be listening to this.

Homer has to work on getting back his street cred and respect from his children.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

JediTalentAgent posted:

Soon Homer will be old enough that they'll do a flashback episode about how he was an aspiring rapper when he was Bart's age and by the time he graduated high school he got a record contract. The episode is built around Bart finding a bunch of Homer's old CDs at a rummage sale, with titles like "Homersexual", "The Homergasm", "The Homertorius B.I.G."

The entire family except Marge and Homer laugh hysterically at the songs, but Homer insists he wasn't doing parody rap, it was hardcore and serious about street life and you kids shouldn't be listening to this.

Homer has to work on getting back his street cred and respect from his children.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

My grandmother hated the Simpsons because Bart "talks back to his elders"

A lot of it was also being a cartoon marketed to adults (even though most of their audience was kids). Cartoons back then were only for kids, so having adult jokes in a cartoon was very transgressive. It's why the Simpsons caught a shitload of flak whereas Married ... with Children didn't get nearly as much even though it was way, way more profane.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 18, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

My grandmother hated the Simpsons because Bart "talks back to his elders"

A lot of it was also being a cartoon marketed to adults (even though most of their audience was kids). Cartoons back then were only for kids, so having adult jokes in a cartoon was very transgressive. It's why the Simpsons caught a shitload of flak whereas Married ... with Children didn't get nearly as much even though it was way, way more profane.

Yeah, I knew someone who said she wouldn't let her kids watch The Simpsons because of the backtalk.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I knew someone who said she wouldn't let her kids watch The Simpsons because of the backtalk.

It was a big deal to say “drat” on TV when the simpsons first aired. Hell, now people can say poo poo. When are people gonna say c- cucumber salad? :thunk:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Fish of hemp posted:

2000's start with 9/11 and end with meltdown of the global economic system, so yeah.

Theoretically you could make a feel good sitcom set in 1930's Europe, but it's easy to see why nobody haven't.

I mean, we've got actually existing sitcoms set in the Korean War (but about Vietnam), and in France under Nazi occupation.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Whizzing Wizard posted:

have they done a flashback episode where high school age Homer gets an iPhone 3 with a fart app?
If not, I feel like its only a question of time

There was no iPhone 3. There was the iPhone 3G, which was actually the second iPhone model. The third iPhone model was the iPhone 3GS.
:goonsay:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I invite anyone who does not think the 00s have a clear identity to load up Need for Speed Underground 2 on the PlayStation 2 and just soak it in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely remember it being considered pretty edgy/transgressive in the 90s. I just had no idea people saying "TS" was a thing :v:

e: I asked my wife what she'd think I meant if I were to say "It'll be TS for them!". Her reply: "The Simpsons?" :discourse:

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Sentient Data posted:

My cousins were both banned from watching The Simpsons as kids, in part because their parents were devout Baptists at the time and in part because my younger cousin was an absolute hellion as a kid and they thought Bart might be a "bad influence" on him, not that he needed anybody's influence to be as a pain in the rear end as creatively as possible.

I think Elon Musk basically paying the show for Lisa to go awestruck over him should be more recognized as a nadir.