Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

potionomics is out, if anyone grabs it please share thoughts here... i wanna know how the actual potion making stuff feels a bit deeper past the demo

It's really good imo. The potion making is very simple on the surface but gets extremely complicated very quickly because you're balancing a whole bunch of different factors. Perfect balance for extra stars vs. higher base quality with bigger ingredients that don't have perfect ratios, sense bonuses, cost of ingredients, different branching cauldron upgrades, it's a lot to sink your teeth into.

It's also very good aesthetically and the writing is a lot of fun. One of my favorite games that's come out in the past couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

It's really good imo. The potion making is very simple on the surface but gets extremely complicated very quickly because you're balancing a whole bunch of different factors. Perfect balance for extra stars vs. higher base quality with bigger ingredients that don't have perfect ratios, sense bonuses, cost of ingredients, different branching cauldron upgrades, it's a lot to sink your teeth into.

It's also very good aesthetically and the writing is a lot of fun. One of my favorite games that's come out in the past couple years.

awesome, sounds like what I was hoping for from those systems. the demo was just the tutorial section so it was hard to get a good read on it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've been playing Coral Island early access on Gamepass. It's really fun! It's very much a Stardew Valley clone, but a really good one imo. It's obviously got a lot of features missing at the moment, but I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it as it develops.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I'll add in: it's very Reccetear at its base, if you've played that - you're making potions, but you also have to decide which ones are for sale, and which ones go in the display window to attract customers, and every customer must be haggled with. Unlike Recettear, you don't just throw out numbers and see what happens - it's a little card mini-game where you have to balance taking too many turns (and thus getting stressed out and ending up in a downward spiral) vs. getting the price higher, and you can customize your deck and learn cards from other people to change out how you approach the game. It's not very deep, but it's fun, and a lot better than the system Recetear used.

I just made it through the first contest and it was more of a nailbiter than I'm happy about. And I have no idea where to get the resources needed to get more cabinets or cauldrons, so I'm kind of anxious about the coming week. So yeah, it's a keeper.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It seems like the game is a very long playthrough of Slay the Spire with potion making and useless bisexuals pining at each other in between the battles. Which is cool.

The upgrade materials for your shop and your cauldrons/benches being gated behind really bad rng kind of sucks but I assume that'll get better after the first competition. I just finished it and am now going to bed so I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
The writing on Potiomomics is even better than I thought it would be after playing the demo. I'm on day four and I already need a whole nother game about the rival. And for me, some of the music is so aptly composed that I've had to stop playing the game and just pay my full attention to enjoying the tunes.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I've been eyeing Potionomics, but was worried it might just be a poor (if fancy looking) Recettear clone with cards. I'm glad that its being well-received, definitely going on the list.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Potiononimcs trip report: It's fun so far. Very cutesy, kind of similar energy to Recettear - the characters are all fun and tend to have overblown reactions and very quippy comments about everything.

Potionmaking: Each potion recipe has a preferred ratio of 5 "magimins", and you combine ingredients with various values in those to try to get the numbers as high as possible while also staying as close as possible to the ratio to determine the quality (a minor healing potion and a greater healing potion use the same ratio, it's just about getting the numbers/ratio good enough). There's clearly something else going on as well - sometimes I'll just add some ingredient and the quality jumps massively for no clear reason, and adding/removing anything makes the quality go back down - my best guess is it might be some sort of synergy between ingredient "types" or qualities that the game hasn't covered yet.

Ingredients also have traits, of which there are 5 but really 10 since they can be good or bad - so an ingredient might have good taste but bad smell, or similar, and these get passed on to the potion. Good traits make it sell for more, bad traits make it sell for less, but as far as I can tell they don't matter for potions you give to an adventurer so it's possible to make potions that are better for selling or better for adventuring. Swapping around ingredients can be moderately engaging and there are lots of combinations you can try hoping to make the best potion possible, though once you find one you like nothing stops you from writing it down and mass producing it. Once you pick ingredients you start the potion brewing which can take various amounts of time, as measured in Recettear style time slots (I think a day has 6). Leaving it brewing while you sleep counts as two additional time slots, so planning ahead on when to make potions can help.

Selling: You decide what potions to put out and then open your store and get some number of customers bringing one up, which starts a somewhat simplified Slay the Spire minigame where you play cards to try to raise the price. This takes the place of Recettear's offer/counteroffer system which I like - IMHO that was the weakest part of Recettear. The cardgame is pretty quick and streamlined and has remained fun so far, but I haven't played all that long - I do wonder if it might get tedious over a long enough game. Of note is you can always choose to accept the current offer and instantly end the minigame; ending your turn lets the customer act (usually inflicting stress on Sylvia, but also with a few other Slay the Spire style actions like blocks and debuffs) in return for drawing a new hand of cards. Some cards are also closers which end the haggling minigame when played, usually with a bonus.

You build a deck of 20 cards, starting with basic and not very good ones but you gain more from befriending other characters and whenever you increase your relationship rank with them, Persona style.

Adventuring: You can hire adventurers to go look for ingredients for you, and provide them with potions (in a limited number of slots) to do so. An adventure is presented as a straight line with various encounters on it, with each encounter requiring a mana and monsters inflicting x damage to your adventurer to defeat. So if your adventurer has 10 health and 3 mana, they could defeat 3 3 damage monsters before calling it quits. Mana and healing potions both increase the equivalent stat, some hazards require specific potions to defeat like an antidote for a poison hazard, and other potions just give straight up bonuses - stamina potions let them carry more loot, speed potions let them finish quicker, sight potions increase the chance of good loot, etc.

You don't actually control the adventure - you just give them their potions and send them off - but there's a "test" button so you can see what the result will be before you send them and then alter the loadout. So there's no need to add the damage of all the monsters in your head or anything. Once gone, the adventurer returns in a given number of time slots similar to brewing.

Debt payments: Rather than Recettear's need to raise money to pay off debts, instead every ten days there's a potionmaking contest with a cash prize that just happens to match your debt repayment. The contest is something of a combination of the systems - you have to make the specific potion, but you're "scored" by how much you can sell it for, including the sales minigame. One thing I found interesting is that while the prize/debt payment was much higher than I earned in my shop, it didn't seem impossibly higher - the first round was 10,000 gold, and I probably only made 3-4k messing around in 10 days on my first playthrough, all of which I immediately sunk into upgrades and ingredients. But it seems like it might be possible to actually make 10k in which case I wonder if it's possible to progress if you fail the contest.

In addition to the above there's a few other systems going on, like building relationships with the other characters or upgrading your house, but the primary one is time management - for instance opening your store uses two time slots, going out and visiting locations in the town takes 1 (for as many stops as you want, time only passes when you go back home) but you can choose to hang out with a character to increase your relationship and reduce Sylvie's stress for additional time units, and so on. And since activities like adventuring and brewing take various amounts of time but let you do other things while they're going, clever scheduling lets you be much more efficient with your time - for instance when I sent an adventurer on a 1 time slot adventure, I just went to another character and spent a time slot hanging out, which let me visit the adventurer afterwards instead of having to go out into town twice on the same day. In that way it actually reminds me a bit more of Stardew Valley than Recettear.

All in all none of the systems are very complicated, but they're all decently engaging and also interact with each other, which has kept the game relatively fresh for the five or so hours I've played so far.

Edit: Okay, played some more and it definitely gets more complex than Recettear later on. I'm up to 3 cauldrons and two adventurers that can all be doing things simultaneously, I've started getting requests for potions with specific traits, and I just got my vending mimic. And that's just debt payment 2 with a lot of empty space on the screen still to unlock.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 19, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
who's ur waifu/husbando

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

who's ur waifu/husbando

The Walrus is the correct answer.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
mint...

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Xid is pretty cute, not going to lie, but it's hard to beat the walrus.

Edit: There are a pair of slightly anthro cat pirates, and their theme music is a sea shanty composed of various pitched cat meows.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 19, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bremen posted:

Debt payments: Rather than Recettear's need to raise money to pay off debts, instead every ten days there's a potionmaking contest with a cash prize that just happens to match your debt repayment. The contest is something of a combination of the systems - you have to make the specific potion, but you're "scored" by how much you can sell it for, including the sales minigame. One thing I found interesting is that while the prize/debt payment was much higher than I earned in my shop, it didn't seem impossibly higher - the first round was 10,000 gold, and I probably only made 3-4k messing around in 10 days on my first playthrough, all of which I immediately sunk into upgrades and ingredients. But it seems like it might be possible to actually make 10k in which case I wonder if it's possible to progress if you fail the contest.

my thought when noticing that was maybe debt lady is one of the hidden romance options and doing both is how you access that

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Potionomics is great but god drat does it bite when you come back and realize that you have no potions to sell, potions mid-brewing, and are flat broke so you just turn around and spend a 1 time period tax for not hanging out when you had the chance. You're literally in my basement Roxanne, why does it burn three hours to pop in on you?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Really wanted to try that Potionomics demo but I can't for the life of me get the resolution to unfuck itself, which means I can't even click the menu to start the game.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

Bremen posted:

Potionmaking: [...] There's clearly something else going on as well - sometimes I'll just add some ingredient and the quality jumps massively for no clear reason, and adding/removing anything makes the quality go back down - my best guess is it might be some sort of synergy between ingredient "types" or qualities that the game hasn't covered yet.

From what I can remember playing last night the quality is reduced when the number of potions you make go up; this should happen whenever you add the 4th, 6th, 8th (and so on) ingredient to the brew. I'd assume the magimins are split evenly amongst all the potions, which could mean that by making a single potion using 3 ingredients you'd reach a higher quality than what you usually see..?

...Or maybe there really is something else going on, possibly revealed at a later time in the game.

Edit: checking ingame now, I think this was all wrong. Who knows what's going on.

LoboFlex fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 19, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I think it's just luck that you can get up to 2 extra stars when the magimins are balanced.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Nah, I've noticed it happening too - first time I made poison potions was with the one D magimin I found, so the mix was just "whatever will just barely get me to Common 1 star so it doesn't degrade when it loses a star from how bad the balance is". And adding the last ingredient just inexplicably made it shoot up to 5 stars. There's definitely something going vis a vis number/combinations of the ingredients themselves (or it's just a bug).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

It's two separate things; normally the total number of megamins in the potion determines the displayed quality, and having a perfect balance of megamins means you get 2 stars (and a chance at a third) beyond the displayed quality. But sometimes adding certain ingredients makes the displayed quality jump 2-4 stars for no clear reason. Currently I have no idea if it's a bug or just some hidden synergies beyond just the total number of megamins.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its nice to have a game that scratches the same part of the brain as atelier but without the jrpg bits. which i do like, it just always felt like there should be a game in this space without that.

my brain keeps telling me at this point i should just restart and apply what i have learned... even though i am doing fine lmao.
im really happy with this game so far.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

Bremen posted:

It's two separate things; normally the total number of megamins in the potion determines the displayed quality, and having a perfect balance of megamins means you get 2 stars (and a chance at a third) beyond the displayed quality. But sometimes adding certain ingredients makes the displayed quality jump 2-4 stars for no clear reason. Currently I have no idea if it's a bug or just some hidden synergies beyond just the total number of megamins.

I wasn't able to recreate it until just now, and I can't really see it being anything other than a bug. Here's a recording for good measure:

https://i.imgur.com/qzAWz3S.mp4

Game is fun though, even if I wish it was a bit more open and laid back in its pacing.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

...I actually remember the magimin count on my potion where it happened being 74 as well. So yeah, that specific number must be coded wrong, somehow. Or I guess it might be an easter egg or something?

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
It happens at 104 as well, so I kinda doubt it.

https://i.imgur.com/hoj2tF0.mp4

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just send this to the dev. They've already released one patch, this can go into the next one.

https://twitter.com/potionomics

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah, the steam forums are reporting it for a lot of magimin values, but always ones that end in 4 (but not every one that ends in 4). Weird.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I ran into another bug where if I loaded a save I made earlier in the same session without restarting and then opened the shop, the first customer would have no dialogue and the game would be unable to progress from them coming inside and standing there.

Restarting the game fixed it so it's very minor though.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I really wish they would add a button in the ingredient shop for "set qty to max" because clicking a hundred times per game day is cramping my style finger.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the dripfeed and resource walls have been pretty decent in Potion Permit so far, but i've hit the first large one with the cable car. 500-600 wood & stone, and 3000 gold (i imagine the desert barrier will be even larger). it'll probably take a couple of in-game days to get the wood and stone, that's not too big a deal. the gold'll take a little longer unless i use up all my materials to craft a ton of potions to sell in the drop box. at least there are friendship quests to do in the meantime? i've otherwise added the kitchen, upgraded all my tools, upgraded the clinic, cleared the rockslide, fixed the accident site, and saved plants from bugs, without much fuss. it helps that the trees in the deeper forest have 10 wood & 25 wood respectively, and the two types of rocks there add up to 30 for a pair. so it's pretty simple to do a 'resource' day and get a couple hundred of each, and the bathhouse completely refills energy so there's that too.

the weird thing about the game, and idk if it's a post-patch thing, is just how little use the clinic actually gets. i get a patient once every couple of days at most, and i can heal them within the hour. it feels like the apothecary stuff is what you spend the least amount of time on in the game. it's obviously what drives the story and main quests, but most of the game is just helping out around town, doing part time jobs, harvesting outside the town, talking to everyone to increase their friendship levels. and then one hour of the day you do some potioning.

it's not a bad game at all, i think it's pretty decent, it's just odd how it's balanced. if they do another one they may want to learn more from atelier games and how they funnel everything through the alchemy systems & setting, not just the story progression but basically everything.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CK07 posted:

I really wish they would add a button in the ingredient shop for "set qty to max" because clicking a hundred times per game day is cramping my style finger.

also it needs the same thing the brew menu has where you can narrow stuff down by type

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

also it needs the same thing the brew menu has where you can narrow stuff down by type

Yup, the shop interface gets really cluttered really quickly. I just want more ingredient sorting options in general - mostly filter by ingredient type and then be able to sort ascending/descending value would really be enough. Knowing that you have a 12B ingredient but needing to mouse over 10 different things to find it is ... annoying.

I felt constantly behind in the first week with only the one cauldron. It just felt like there wasn't enough poo poo to go around - not enough to sell for more ingredients, basically nothing to send out Mint and I was too broke for the big expeditions. For a game that has such a cutesy aesthetic it's kind of brutal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is anybody following Paralives? Apparently it's a Sims-alike that's currently a Patreon. That is all I know .

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Last I heard of it the devs had to scale back some of its earlier planned features and delay the release date. It's a pretty small team and ever since the project was announced a lot of people have showered it with expectations of it being the "Sims-killer" so good on them for keeping their ambitions manageable.
I do like the look of that modular, scalable building system, though. Would be fun to play around with before defaulting to the same boring cubicle house I always do!

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I remember being a bit put off by how all their updates seemed to be about cosmetic stuff instead of the actual simulation part of the game, though apparently there’s been some live mode teasers since then.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Warning for Potionomics: No controller support yet!

Other than that, though, it seems good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MerrMan posted:

Yup, the shop interface gets really cluttered really quickly. I just want more ingredient sorting options in general - mostly filter by ingredient type and then be able to sort ascending/descending value would really be enough. Knowing that you have a 12B ingredient but needing to mouse over 10 different things to find it is ... annoying.

I felt constantly behind in the first week with only the one cauldron. It just felt like there wasn't enough poo poo to go around - not enough to sell for more ingredients, basically nothing to send out Mint and I was too broke for the big expeditions. For a game that has such a cutesy aesthetic it's kind of brutal.

Yeah it really irks me that in the first week you have to get lucky with wood drops in two different adventure zones to be able to unlock more Cauldron or Shelf space. I'm assuming that past that you can buy cacti and mushrooms but if you still have to rely on drops then that's just bad design imho.

Search and organization tools for the interface are definitely a needed improvement too.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sure, but it’s possible to get past the first test without shelf or cauldron upgrades. I’m not sure I could’ve even afforded those upgrades, 300 - 400 coins on an upgrade in the first week feels like it would’ve wrecked my ability to make potions.

And I believe one of the two most recent patches made the first few tests easier, so I don’t think anything is gated behind lucky drops.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's creepy and hosed up that Rue is a romanceable character in potion permit

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Potionomics: does anyone know if enchantments fulfill requirements for custom orders, or if it's just an in-shop sales thing?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

Potionomics: does anyone know if enchantments fulfill requirements for custom orders, or if it's just an in-shop sales thing?

Enchantment does not fulfill requirement for custom order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tale of Wuxia is a Chinese life sim / RPG.

It's set in fantastical ancient martial arts China. It's sort of like a RPG where instead of beating up monsters for XP, you mostly get better at stuff via life sim time allocation. The main part is alternating "Allocate time blocks to stuff like punch training/chores/visiting people/meditating under a peach tree/etc..." that build stats, then at set calendar days events will happen and it jumps off to plot/exploration with hex based fights. Like for example, at one point the elderly sect leader guy takes you and the other disciples into the nearby city to visit someone, then you get a (real-time limited, but fairly generous) day to wander around the city getting into fights/doing RPG quests/unlocking activities, then after that time expires there's some plot and mandatory fights, then it goes back to life sim for another few months.

The translation starts off ok then gets increasingly jank near the end. There was an LP of it at one point, but I don't think it got archived

Path of Wuxia is a newer spiritual successorish game

It's a similar allocate time => go explore/fight => allocate time game flow, with better put together/more focused gameplay so far. It has an ongoing fan translation that goes through about 2/3 of the game with high quality localization, then runs into terrible machine translation once you get past the human-translated part.