Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Vinylshadow posted:

From Star Wars (2020) #25

I would challenge both those interpretations, the jedi ceding everything to the sith would be stupid and the laser sword is clearly one of the most op and dangerous weapons in star wars. Id love a property that challenged these ideas directly. i think ultimately they are necessary and a good choice of weapon but would love to see it actually explored in tv or movie beyond ooo lightsaber yay

but v funny there is already something out there that gets what ive been thinking about. gonna reread it later when i get home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
It always bothered me the way that latter Star Wars portrayed the force and lightsabers, after the original trilogy went out of its way to show Yoda and Sheev as being expert wielders of the force, who in didn't need weapons.

In ESB, I don't even recall Yoda having Like train with his Saber at all. When he goes into the cave, he flat out tells him he doesn't need his weapons.

In ROTJ Palpatine is completely unarmed. He gets his way by manipulating those around him to do his bidding by tapping into and 0encouraging their darker selves.

It felt much more aligned to the xen thing of the force having a kinship with the environment around you and allowing it to willfully / forcing it against its will to be a part of you. It felt like everyone and anyone was a part of it to some degree, and these guys were absolute masters on either end of the spectrum.

Somewhere along the line with the prequels this turned into Jedi's and siths are unique superheroes / villains who have videogame preset move lists. As an example, both those characters appear again, though this time with lightsabers and ridiculous spinny wheel of death moves to try and make them more akin to the depictions of prequel Jedi.

Another reason why I'm really happy this show doesn't delve into Jedi stuff at all.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 16, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When Yoda shows up in Attack of the Clones, I thought for one beautiful moment that Dooku was gonna try some spinny poo poo and Yoda was just gonna... y'know... calmly block his every move with the most basic and bare movement of his lightsaber, if he even bothered to use a lightsaber at all.

Instead, he just starts leaping and flipping about while all the idiots in the crowd were hooting and hollering. As for me :smug:? Well.... I was one of those idiots hooting and hollering too, because I was caught up in the moment and thought it was cool as hell, and the only thing more embarrassing than watching it back now is remembering how much I enjoyed that stupid scene when I first saw it :cripes:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hell, it is cool. He's a classic old master who sits still and acts reserved and thoughtful but can still take on the villains because he trained them in the first place. That said, he's also badly hosed up by even being there- by charging in heedlessly to save his friends, he has become an agent of evil

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The Jedi will always be an issue, not because there’s anything inherently wrong with including them in a story, but I think the moment one is added every executive just starts seeing dollar signs everywhere and they swarm the creative staff like locusts.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Yoda lightsaber fight was absolutely in the tradition of samurai/martial arts movies where the wisened old master surprisingly still has amazing moves, after barely moving through the movie so far. It's great and I love it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Yoda lightsaber fight was absolutely in the tradition of samurai/martial arts movies where the wisened old master surprisingly still has amazing moves, after barely moving through the movie so far. It's great and I love it.

Should have been an EXACT 1:1 reenactment of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfpagB8wWng

Yes, bloody spurt included :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know how you do super mind powers fights without it looking weird. The Gandalf Saruman fight demonstrates this.

But you also probably can't just have Yoda exploding heads like Scanners.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sash! posted:

I don't know how you do super mind powers fights without it looking weird. The Gandalf Saruman fight demonstrates this.

You do an awesome, balls-to-the-wall action fight, but part way through, you shift perspective to a 3rd party observer and see it's just the two of them intently staring at each other maybe with some blood trickling down the nose of the guy who's losing.

Why, yes. The Venture Brothers did this. Why do you ask?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jedism isn't really a coherent ideology. Even in Yoda's "judge me by my size do you" speech - the Jedi equivalent to the Sermon on the Mount - he says the Force is created by all living things and points at a rock.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
He also destroys the sacred jedi texts and says nothing there that Rey doesn’t already know

Uh Electric Judgment dawg

Or that Mundi had a whole bunch of wives cuz wow

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Jedism isn't really a coherent ideology. Even in Yoda's "judge me by my size do you" speech - the Jedi equivalent to the Sermon on the Mount - he says the Force is created by all living things and points at a rock.

Yeah, none of the movies/shows (some book might, but it's probably been un-canon'd by Disney) have a neutral scholar of the Jedi/the Force discuss anything (this is not a flaw).

All of the sources we're presented with on-screen regarding Jedi/Sith ideology are wildly biased.

Really, Star Wars is at it's best when it's impressionistic, Jedi don't have to be deeper than "the good guy space wizards."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's funny is that in my youth groups and private christian churches we were taught that Star Wars was satanic because it promoted "Eastern mysticism".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

zoux posted:

lol. What the gently caress? I'm literally watching ESB right now. And he doesn't point at the rock as if it creates the force. It's part of the list of things between which the force exists. It's literally him just expounding on how it "surrounds us and binds us" by pointing out that it exists between all things including the trees, the rocks, and us.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

What's funny is that in my youth groups and private christian churches we were taught that Star Wars was satanic because it promoted "Eastern mysticism".

That's straight out of Turmoil in the Toybox, a Evangelical Christian book that felt the need to turn what toys your kids bought into a struggle for their very souls. Levitation was also a big part of their fears too.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
do you think cassian would've taken his fair share of the cut and then gone on his anyways? or do you think it was something about the heist that pulls him towards respecting the mission and the deal? i'm thinking about him and nemik in particular, but not strictly in the ideology of the manifesto. imo cassian putting that trust in nemik's hands is also the act and 'praxis' that produces a bit of commitment - moral or ideological or faithful, who's to say? - to the heist, only taking his pay and not stealing anything more

or maybe another question is - i feel like episode 1 andor clearly wouldve been more skeenlike and trying to find more profit, but after everything that's happened, something in him has moved a bit?

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
The TV series of Legion handled its battles between master telepaths as dance-offs and songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ja5ehgpCA&t=121s

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jinnigan posted:

do you think cassian would've taken his fair share of the cut and then gone on his anyways? or do you think it was something about the heist that pulls him towards respecting the mission and the deal? i'm thinking about him and nemik in particular, but not strictly in the ideology of the manifesto. imo cassian putting that trust in nemik's hands is also the act and 'praxis' that produces a bit of commitment - moral or ideological or faithful, who's to say? - to the heist, only taking his pay and not stealing anything more

or maybe another question is - i feel like episode 1 andor clearly wouldve been more skeenlike and trying to find more profit, but after everything that's happened, something in him has moved a bit?

I think he would have taken his only his cut regardless, the only difference being the ratio of his motivation shifting from mostly "if I renege on the deal I'll get killed in retaliation" to more "these guys are fighting the good fight, I shouldn't take more than what I was owed." It's not like the Rebel Alliance is squeamish about tying up loose ends, just look at Andor himself in Rogue One.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

That's straight out of Turmoil in the Toybox, a Evangelical Christian book that felt the need to turn what toys your kids bought into a struggle for their very souls. Levitation was also a big part of their fears too.

ouija boards and d&d also enabled levitating and were therefore evil

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Luthen promises Cassian a big payout, but he hooks him before that with the idea of revenge against the Empire. He's already no longer motivated for purely mercenary ends.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jerusalem posted:

Should have been an EXACT 1:1 reenactment of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfpagB8wWng

Yes, bloody spurt included :colbert:

Man, that's great. I really need to check out all those old samurai flicks, it's a bit of a gaping hole in my cinema watching.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Technocrat posted:

The TV series of Legion handled its battles between master telepaths as dance-offs and songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ja5ehgpCA&t=121s

The psychic rap battle was the utter highlight of season 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-9BsZ1qyA

But all pales in comparison to the arrival of the Shadow King in season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89QyxIPxD4

Man what a fantastic one season show with two extra scenes over the next couple of years that show was.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

I wish! Best tech I've got is a Nintendo switch and an old laptop that just barely plays heroes of the storm on lowest settings.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

zoux posted:

um, actually living rock is real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw&t=42s

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I like how A More Civilized Age podcast, brought up that Cassian just raided a imperial base, stole their money, flew across a burning sky, had to kill one of us own, and he ends up so small and afraid of a book.

Mon Mothma acting like Bush in the classroom reading the book when the towers got hit. Need Papa Palpatine giving an emergency news broadcast that everything is ok and that the threat level is green right now

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 18, 2022

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Double post

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
If this show ever does force users, Sith, Jedi, or other, I hope it's just a blur of insane action that none of the characters can comprehend. Like just a blur whirling through their ranks, something that seems almost supernatural.

I hope it neve goes there at all, but if it does it should be from the normals' perspective and not center the force user in the action. There was that rather terrifying Vader moment in Rogue One that would kind of work in the Andor context.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Well this sucks. I hope they actually make season 2.

https://twitter.com/Great_Katzby/status/1581048249699676160

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we're getting baby k2SO aren't we

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

mcmagic posted:

It’s already greenlit.

I have a feeling Disney knew this wouldn’t be as huge. Which is probably why they don’t make this type of show as much. Though that’s also probably why it has less viewers because people who would like this show got burned out by the more crappy ones.

This is the kind of show that people who love BCS or The Americans could love, but wouldn’t be caught dead watching something like Boba Fett.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm sure they built a relatively low expectation of audience interest into greenlighting the show. I mean it's about a guy in a movie from 2016 whose name is a conjunction bridging two interchangeable concepts. It was always gonna be an underdog

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Season 2 starts filming is starting in November,so unless Warner Brothers/HBO buys Disney and starts canceling everything we don't need to worry about season 2.

What worries me is the design by committee getting its hands on the show, less so for Season 2 since its already being made, at worst they demand "Solo" like reshots at worst taking full control for season 3.

Alan Smithee posted:

we're getting baby k2SO aren't we

Disney combined Parks and Products departments some time ago, so yeah I"m worried of them trying to force in some merchandising potential in later seasons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theblackw0lf posted:

It’s already greenlit.

I have a feeling Disney knew this wouldn’t be as huge. Which is probably why they don’t make this type of show as much. Though that’s also probably why it has less viewers because people who would like this show got burned out by the more crappy ones.

This is the kind of show that people who love BCS or The Americans could love, but wouldn’t be caught dead watching something like Boba Fett.

I guess it's about a bit character and there are no actors on the show that anyone would be brought in by but it's the best thing that has ever been on D+ by a huge margin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Quixotic1 posted:

Season 2 starts filming is starting in November,so unless Warner Brothers/HBO buys Disney and starts canceling everything we don't need to worry about season 2.

What worries me is the design by committee getting its hands on the show, less so for Season 2 since its already being made, at worst they demand "Solo" like reshots at worst taking full control for season 3.

Isn't season 2 meant to end right before Rogue One?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Andor is gonna end at season 2. Its been planned as a 24 episode story ever since they decided doing 5 seasons was gonna be too much.

Season 1 is 1 full year. Season 2 is 4 years, with each 3 episode bunch taking place in a different year (unknown how much time spans each arc but its 0-1 year). The last arc leads right into Rogue One.

I honestly wouldn't worry about studio interference. Andor is universally critically praised, it'll probably do something come awards time. I can see the execs pumping the obi-wan schlock to build up credit for the less popular but more acclaimed series like Andor.

Also I think word of mouth + the bingeability of Andor once it is fully released will help it long term.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

mcmagic posted:

I guess it's about a bit character and there are no actors on the show that anyone would be brought in by but it's the best thing that has ever been on D+ by a huge margin.

how dare you

https://i.imgur.com/ToHSzAR.mp4

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i mean are there Stellan Skaarsgard fancams

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

mcmagic posted:

It's the Star Trek: Beyond syndrome of a series' ratings being determined by franchise predecessors and franchise fatigue rather than its own quality. I had been thinking about not watching Andor because I was expecting the prequel-of-a-prequel to mean was wrong with Obi-Wan squared.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The good thing is that if the series isn't a smash hit, Disney is less likely to make its second season a spinoff launching platform as they did with The Mandalorian. So long as it doesn't flop so hard that the second season gets a budget cut, this is the ideal scenario for quality (I'm joking but also kinda not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

i say swears online posted:

ouija boards and d&d also enabled levitating and were therefore evil

And He-Man is satantic because there is only one Master of the Universe, Jesus!