Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The real question is how good Wilson needs to play the rest of the season for the Jets to not be in the Lamar market at all if he's made available. There has to be a path where you can squint your eyes and see Wilson ever being a top half of the league QB which is still a question mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The Jets and Dolphins have way better weapons than the Ravens, so something to keep in mind about his recent performance.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I can't imagine the Ravens would just let him walk. If they can't come to an agreement on a contract it's going to be a tag and trade.

I forgot the franchise tag was a thing

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The real question is how good Wilson needs to play the rest of the season for the Jets to not be in the Lamar market at all if he's made available. There has to be a path where you can squint your eyes and see Wilson ever being a top half of the league QB which is still a question mark.

Well yeah same for Miami and Tua (except Miami has an additional issue of Tua's overall health, obviously) but it's gotta be in the back of your mind. You guys are loaded as hell - he'd instantly make the Jets an arguable superbowl contender. I also think his recent slump is not really characteristic and exaggerated by his lack of weapons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Zach's Y/A is 1.5 better than last year which is pretty much what we're looking for but the comp% being relatively the same isn't. Still got lots of time.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Everybody in this division but the Bills is waiting on this season to see if their QB is a turd.

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

TheBizzness posted:

The Jets and Dolphins have way better weapons than the Ravens, so something to keep in mind about his recent performance.

I mean his recent performance was a rusty (bad) start but a hell of a closeout in his first game, an unremarkable, but solid turnover free game against the fish, and a weak but also turnover free game against a good (perhaps not great) packers D where he made plays down the stretch. The Jets are, what, top 5 in the 4th quarter point differential? His play is a non-trivial part of that.

I think there's a universe here where he's basically Ryan Tannehill and good enough to allow a more talented team to thrive. There's also one where he's Mark Sanchez. I also think there's one where he continues to improve and the game continues to slow down for him.

Might as well just hang loose and see.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

RustySeabutter posted:

The Jets are, what, top 5 in the 4th quarter point differential? His play is a non-trivial part of that.

They’re not only 1st in the NFL they have the 2nd best in the last decade.

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1581795003336388609

Nov 6, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

The "wets his pants when pressured" theme continues.
https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1582013374757363712

:smug:

https://twitter.com/ChadGraff/status/1582056452772233217/

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

RustySeabutter posted:

I mean his recent performance was a rusty (bad) start but a hell of a closeout in his first game, an unremarkable, but solid turnover free game against the fish, and a weak but also turnover free game against a good (perhaps not great) packers D where he made plays down the stretch. The Jets are, what, top 5 in the 4th quarter point differential? His play is a non-trivial part of that.

I think there's a universe here where he's basically Ryan Tannehill and good enough to allow a more talented team to thrive. There's also one where he's Mark Sanchez. I also think there's one where he continues to improve and the game continues to slow down for him.

Might as well just hang loose and see.

I was talking about Lamar Jackson

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
What matters for present purposes is that Wilson really just has to play mistake-free football for the Jets to compete in every game given the talent around him. And he's done that for the most part since the back half of last season, so credit to him. He doesn't have to elevate the rest of the team right now, but he's made big plays in big spots where needed to since coming back. Those are positive steps. That said, he still has some very concerning tendencies that you hope he starts to eliminate over the remainder of the year.

But the critically important thing is they've done enough around him to actually evaluate him, unlike with Darnold or what's happening with Fields.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 18, 2022

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Everybody in this division but the Bills is waiting on this season to see if their QB is a turd.

Bad news for us all, and I know you’re not used to this:

We will all still be saying this exact same poo poo about these exact same guys at this exact same time next season.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay, I can't contain myself. He's a second year, #2 overall pick and he's getting kudos for not throwing multiple picks in each game? For being good enough to not get in the way in some quarters?

His nickname coming out was Mormon Mahomes and he's thrown one touchdown through three games! He's not a scrappy UDFA rookie backup that's trying to keep the ship afloat while your starting QB recovers—he's supposed to be your franchise!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

Okay, I can't contain myself. He's a second year, #2 overall pick and he's getting kudos for not throwing multiple picks in each game? For being good enough to not get in the way in some quarters?

His nickname coming out was Mormon Mahomes and he's thrown one touchdown through three games! He's not a scrappy UDFA rookie backup that's trying to keep the ship afloat while your starting QB recovers—he's supposed to be your franchise!

At the time of his 16th start as a pro Josh Allen was a terrible QB too. This is going to play itself out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Well Breece Hall kept getting tackled at the 1 otherwise he’d have more TDs. :colbert:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

You're acting like I'm heaping praise upon Zach Wilson when I'm really not doing that at all. I'm just saying he's better than he was last year---which is, I'm sure you'll agree, a good thing and not a bad thing---but that he's not close to being good enough mostly because he has these putrid stretches too frequently.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
gently caress yes. The “Josh Allen still wasn’t good yet!” has started.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

At the time of his 16th start as a pro Josh Allen was a terrible QB too. This is going to play itself out.

You guys keep coming back to this but

1. Allen is a unicorn
2. He was way better than Wilson has been. His rookie year with a dumpster supporting cast was better than Wilson's and his second year was way better than Wilson's is so far.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not gonna say poo poo about Wilson* until we lose another game.

*does not apply to game day chat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IDK why you want us Jet fans to make a final verdict on Wilson after 16 pro starts though. He's 100% going to be the starter for the rest of the year unless he gets hurt and none of us have said we are sure he should be the starting QB opening week of 2023. He's had 3 games so far this year and it's been more game manager than him being the reason the Jets are winning games for sure but he did have 2 great drives in the 4th quarter against a good Steelers D and he hasn't really turned it over which he did last year. This is going to play itself out for the rest of the year and he has 11 more games to show he can be a difference maker. He's going to have to get a lot better at decision making under pressure if he's going to have a successful career. We all know that. I think we have all been pretty reasonable about how good he's played and what he needs to show.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Zach Wilson also doesn't have to turn into Josh Allen in order to be worth developing. I don't think anyone is saying "Zach Wilson could be as good as Josh Allen," they're just saying sometimes developing QBs takes time and the Jets should take the time they think they need to develop him.

I think all of the Jets posters itt are actually pretty reasonable about Zach Wilson, tbqh.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I actually agree with that too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Zach Wilson also doesn't have to turn into Josh Allen in order to be worth developing. I don't think anyone is saying "Zach Wilson could be as good as Josh Allen," they're just saying sometimes developing QBs takes time and the Jets should take the time they think they need to develop him.

I think all of the Jets posters itt are actually pretty reasonable about Zach Wilson, tbqh.

Yes. He doesn't have to be a top 3 QB in the NFL. We just need to see that he can be top half of the league and I'm not ready to foreclose that.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

You're acting like I'm heaping praise upon Zach Wilson when I'm really not doing that at all. I'm just saying he's better than he was last year---which is, I'm sure you'll agree, a good thing and not a bad thing---but that he's not close to being good enough mostly because he has these putrid stretches too frequently.

It's not just you (you in particular have been critical) and I don't think anyone is heaping praise. But the tone of the discussion is definitely "this is encouraging progress" and we're quoting esoteric stats like 4th quarter differentials.

Wilson's got a great supporting cast, no longer a rookie, and getting categorically outperformed by QBs like Cooper Rush and Bailey Zappe. If your franchise QB is playing at about the level of the Dolphins' third string rookie, that's a problem!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m watching the chargers game. Extremely glad that the Pats did not extend JC Jackson.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
No you see if he played for the Dolphins or Patriots it would be a problem but he plays for the Jets so we’re excited to watch him grow!!!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

3-0 is not a problem at all. The team is demonstrably better with him under center than they played with our backup. So… let’s let it play out instead of throwing him in the trash?

Is it even trolling if you’re not getting the responses you want and we’re all quite measured?

Nov 6, 2002

His baseline was so awful from last season he's not going to go from trainwreck to league average starter in a handful of games.

Incremental progress is about what you'd expect realistically. Where that tops off who knows.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

No you see if he played for the Dolphins or Patriots it would be a problem but he plays for the Jets so we’re excited to watch him grow!!!

I feel like I’m repeatedly on record here as saying Tua and Mac Jones are pretty good, but ok

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I mean I’m watching superstar QB Justin Herbert with a lightning bolt as a right arm game manage the gently caress out of this game.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Professor Funk posted:

I feel like I’m repeatedly on record here as saying Tua and Mac Jones are pretty good, but ok

My man, you are not the only Jets poster here.
Though I won’t lie, I dont even know if most Jets posters here aside from mcmagic were making GBS threads on Tua.

However, it was my solemn oath that I would trash on every young QB who wasn’t instantly Justin Herbert since that seemed to be the new standard for some guys.

I’m trying not to though because I don’t really believe that and Zach Wilson could still be good and I wouldn’t give up on him yet, either. Still, I’m going to give you all at least the same hard time Yac Jones and Tua yards per attempt got.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

At least Tua, when he played this year wasn't worse than his rookie year like Mac Jones was.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Tua doesn't have Matt Patricia coaching him, so there is that

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Broncos defense is pretty ridiculous. Need a low scoring slop fest W next week.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

https://twitter.com/TimMitch13/status/1582157320565690377?t=-ls2F4h0cRtQZiHpxnFE2Q&s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Broncos defense is pretty ridiculous. Need a low scoring slop fest W next week.

I could see Zach having a really bad game next week.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I could see Zach having a really bad game next week.

Yup. I could see Russ having one as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe Zach will be ok if he just throws it to whoever 27 is covering every play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Apparently no QBs are good other than Mahomes and Allen, so who cares anyways