Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Starks posted:

My love for Bobby Cannavale has tricked me into (briefly) watching two terrible Netflix things in the last two weeks. Reed Hastings please put this man into something good I beg you

There will never be another Third Watch, or Mr Robot but we can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

720p? Is internet media just regressing now? YouTube has also been doing A/B testing on setting people to low res automatically.

The reduction in catalog is something I totally didn’t expect for the cheap tier. How ridiculous.

The $9.99 Netflix basic plan TODAY is still 480p so the ad plan is actually an upgrade. (They are also upgrading the basic plan to 720p too.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

The reduction in catalog is something I totally didn’t expect for the cheap tier. How ridiculous.
It seems like an unnetflixy thing to do but I think HBO Max is doing it too. Probably they're just excluding most of the stuff that isn't netflix originals or something.

I think they've also indicate that they're abandoning the idea of binge watching in favor of weekly releases going forward, so they've clearly decided that it's more important to boost their number of subscribers that maintain the way the service has worked before.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smackfu posted:

The $9.99 Netflix basic plan TODAY is still 480p so the ad plan is actually an upgrade. (They are also upgrading the basic plan to 720p too.)

Wow, I had no idea. That’s expensive for such low quality.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll just miss out on a show rather than deal with a single ad. I have FOBA: fear of bastard ads.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They are driving me back to the filez

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Watcher is so bad but i keep watching it. It’s the quality of one of those lifetime originals or something lol.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I remember when Netflix streams first started I thought 'Someday this will be pretty cool' but in many ways it's gotten worse since then.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Netflix got the ball rolling but it can't be destroyed soon enough.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I remember when Netflix streams first started I thought 'Someday this will be pretty cool' but in many ways it's gotten worse since then.

For a while there it was amazing. They got to a point where every time they released a new series, you wanted to watch it, and were expected to talk about it. But once it became clear that all the movie studios and television networks were going to try and do their own thing, Netflix went into overdrive into building their own catalogue, and spread themselves far too thin, and have put out a lot of crap trying to appeal to absolutely everybody. I'm at the point where I occasionally cancel my subscription and sign up again when they've built up enough content again to make it worth subscribing again.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The trailer for After Midnight implies a much better film than you get. It's too bad, I feel like a second run at the script or even the editing might have fixed it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

For a while there it was amazing. They got to a point where every time they released a new series, you wanted to watch it, and were expected to talk about it. But once it became clear that all the movie studios and television networks were going to try and do their own thing, Netflix went into overdrive into building their own catalogue, and spread themselves far too thin, and have put out a lot of crap trying to appeal to absolutely everybody. I'm at the point where I occasionally cancel my subscription and sign up again when they've built up enough content again to make it worth subscribing again.
There are way too many services too stay subscribed to now even if they all had enough content. By this point it feels like pretty much everyone is either 1) alternating services each month, 2) sharing accounts, or 3) using :filez: again

I don't see how all these services can make enough money to survive at this point

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

I don't see how all these services can make enough money to survive at this point

For real. I signed up for AMC + to watch the final season of Better Call Saul, and despite the loving fact that they advertise that you can watch it on their service, it is not on their service. So in the 7 day free trial I watched the 2nd and final season of Kevin Can gently caress Himself (good), and the first few episodes of the new adaptation of Interview with a Vampire (good). But the rest of the content, woof. How are they expecting people to pay for that every month?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
In Australia an AMC+ subscription bundles in Shudder and Acorn so you also get a bunch of spooky movies about violent death and cosy shows about violent death (the Acorn catalog being 95% English murder mysteries and police procedurals)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of the strategies is to heavily discount a yearly subscription and then hope people just pay the full price the next year.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Halloween Ends is so loving bad. I’m a little over halfway and it’s not quite as bad as Kills yet, but it’s still impressive how they’ve managed to completely piss away all the good will generated by the 2018 movie.

Like, Halloween 2018 had to be a complete fluke at this point.

I did laugh at one thing: There’s graffiti on the bridge in the beginning that reads “Love lives today” in an obvious joke on EVIL DIES TONIGHT. Not entirely sure I’m willing to give the movie credit for it though after how many loving times we had to hear EVIL DIES TONIGHT in Kills though.

Came here to post about this. What the gently caress did I just watch?!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

10 Beers posted:

Came here to post about this. What the gently caress did I just watch?!

Something something “show grief your loving TITS” as the cops sit back and watch the entire town throw a corpse into a scrap metal shredder

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

smackfu posted:

One of the strategies is to heavily discount a yearly subscription and then hope people just pay the full price the next year.

I subbed to peacock a couple of months ago for the Northman and between the awful ads and the terrible PS5 app, the user experience is about the worst of any service I have used, but it does undeniably have some good content. I planned on canceling, but kept it around for a couple of months and they sent me an offer for $25 for a year that I sat on, but it seemed like a good deal. So I decided "gently caress it" and went to buy the sub but they wouldn't give it to me because the offer expired. I just cancelled it instead. What an absolutely moronic thing to put an expiration date on. Now they get zero dollars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The new season of Derry Girls is even more delightful than I thought it would be.

3 episodes watched for review

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I read that She Hulk is almost entirely CGI instead of makeup, is that true? My patience with CGI has run out and I have little desire to watch computers act.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It’s a cgi cartoon yeah. Has no bearing on the show which is a goofy comedy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I wish I had started watching the The Patient after all the episodes were released.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's tough to get makeup to make you look 7 feet tall.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

worms butthole guy posted:

I read that She Hulk is almost entirely CGI instead of makeup, is that true? My patience with CGI has run out and I have little desire to watch computers act.

She Hulk is exceptionally bad CGI too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I wish I had started watching the The Patient after all the episodes were released.

I made this mistake too, but I thought I heard it was a six episode series and at the time that's how many episodes were out.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's tough to get makeup to make you look 7 feet tall.

I mean they did it in LOTR

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

Andor

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So they do this thing, it's called mocap, it's for faces too it's so the actors act much like Muppets

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's not even really an Empire

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Finally got round to watching Peacemaker and I loved it. Everyone in it seemed to just be having so much fun, with Vigilante being the obvious standout.

Also the opening credits are an absolute masterpiece, I didn't even skip them once.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just watched Peacemaker earlier this year and drat it is great. I recommend it to everyone.

And 100% agree on the opening

Has anyone watched the new VHS movie by chance? I loved the first two but they kind of fell off after that.

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 17, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I will begrudgingly admit She-Hulk's second half is a lot stronger than its first, it definitely found its footing more after all the setup. They still needed way more cases though.

Also saw the final season of Derry Girls and it's good if you like that sort of thing.

Also saw S3 of the Netflix Castlevania show and boy does it lose direction without Dracula but I did enjoy Alucard getting betrayed during a threesome lol

Yeah it's all denouement and after effects. S4 does pick up things tho and ends spectacularly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

I just watched Peacemaker earlier this year and drat it is great. I recommend it to everyone.

And 100% agree on the opening

Has anyone watched the new VHS movie by chance? I loved the first two but they kind of fell off after that.

Vhs 3 is the worst, vhs 94 is a return to form but doesn't quite hit the highs of 2, haven't seen vhs 99 yet

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The black phone was surprisingly terrible. Ethan hawk gave a pretty good performance…I guess? I was suspicious when I saw joe hill, because I knew it would have flimsy and pointless light supernatural stuff that only served to make a dull premise less dull.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

MacheteZombie posted:

Vhs 3 is the worst, vhs 94 is a return to form but doesn't quite hit the highs of 2, haven't seen vhs 99 yet

I read today 99 is coming out on the 20th. The IMDb scores are not good but I'll still probably check it out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

I read today 99 is coming out on the 20th. The IMDb scores are not good but I'll still probably check it out.

i gobble up found footage so ill find an excuse to like it

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

drat, I just watched V/H/S Viral and don’t think I expected it to be quite that bad. The Parallel Monsters segment at least started off promising then really poo poo the bed for me. What a baffling follow up to V/H/S 2.

I even watched Gorgeous Vortex (cut from the movie) afterward and it seemed like a film student horror perfume ad. Anyone have an idea why that short’s director chose not to make a found footage film for a found footage series?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
no clue but bonestorms my fav segment of viral

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There’s a great new documentary on Prime about the history of 007 music/theme songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcs5icPCTnI

And there’s also a companion concert to go with the documentary which was filmed live at Royal Albert Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good documentary if you like Bond music. Even talked about the rejected Radiohead song, which was surprising considering this was obviously endorsed by the Bond producers.

Funny that they didn’t mention Madonna once, unless I missed it.

Also didn’t realize there was a companion concert. Prime Video is really the worst app.