Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Is the market better yet or are things still screwed up?

It's a lot better than when the title got changed. Not perfect, and some of the new generation stuff is overpriced, but in general things have improved a lot. Like, you can actually buy videocards now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Many of Nvidia's video cards are still hovering just above MSRP and are refusing to dip under two years into the generation now. The lower-end nvidia cards especially are hilariously overpriced. The midrange and high-end are mostly okay.

Other component costs are mostly fine too. Cases are still overpriced due to shipping costs (their bulkiness caused their prices to skyrocket when international shipping got expensive). AMD's new AM5 motherboards are oddly overpriced, though Intel's motherboard prices are still mostly fine (though more than they used to be). The switchover to DDR5 is gonna cost you a little bit extra but it's not too bad these days.

So overall, you're paying a little more than you'd like but you can finally build a PC at semi-reasonable prices again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s way better than it was at the beginning of the year

Supplies started to finally appear in like April

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Here, supplies are still hit and miss depending on what you're looking for, but prices are mostly back around MSRP.

Although one thing to watch out for is stores selling video cards for "60% off!" where it's 60% off the peak crypto frenzy price, so the "discount" is just bringing it back down to MSRP.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Micro Center is offering a free 32GB kit of DDR5-5600 again when buying a Ryzen 7700X CPU or better: https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966995,4294819840/amd-processors

Zen 4/AM5 is not a great value right now, but if you can take advantage of this deal then it will single-handedly change the math to make it worth it again. It's not advertised here, but they are also still running their $20 off promo when buying a motherboard with a compatible CPU. You can get a 7700X, Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX, and 32GB of DDR5 for $610, which is less than what a 12700K(or 13700K)/motherboard/ram will cost you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can get a 7700X, Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX, and 32GB of DDR5 for $610, which is less than what a 12700K(or 13700K)/motherboard/ram will cost you.

This is incredibly tempting…

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's about $720 for a similar Intel config right now:

Buuut you can knock almost $200 off the price by going with a non-K CPU, B660, and with slower DDR4 ($529 total):

Option A is probably pretty closely matched to the 7700X, but the 7700X will edge it out in gaming. Option B would be noticeably slower in many games, and I think it would be worth it to spend $80 more on the Zen 4 system if you want to pair it with a high-end GPU.

Raptor Lake is coming in like five days, and that will probably change things a bit. The 13600K for $330 could beat out the 7700X, but it will still be a bit more expensive when paired with a DDR5 Z690 motherboard. Waiting for benchmarks is probably the best option, though I don't know how long this DDR5 promo will last for.

edit: and it goes without saying that if you don't live near a microcenter, then the 7700X build is now much more questionable at $780 and probably won't be worth it next to Intel's 13th gen.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 16, 2022

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I put together a big upgrade for my PC. I ordered the parts and I thought I double checked everything buuuuut...

The motherboard I went with is the Asus TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI and the RAM I went with G.Skill Flare X5 Series (F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5). I checked Asus's website and that set of memory isn't showing up on the memory support page. Should I try to get ahead of this and order new ram and plan on returning the stuff I ordered or is there a chance the stuff I ordered will work?

Edit: I'm an idiot, you can disregard this post. It's on the Qualified Vendor List on G.Skill's website. Thank God.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 16, 2022

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I don't have an answer for you, but my USB KVM hub crapped out recently after 4 months, so I'm curious about some non-junk options too.

I just got one of these, we'll see how long it lasts before making GBS threads itself like all the others:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081251PBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
For $100+ I hope it does!

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/4Bkghk

Sanity check please? I've been itching to retire the 6600k & GTX 1080 for a year now and am sick of waiting. It's just for games on a 3440x1440 175Hz screen. My country's retailers gouge like crazy on the new stuff so I'm looking at an ex-mining RTX 3080 and then investing as little as possible into a DDR4 platform. I'm happy to spend more if it's actually worth it.

- I was originally excited about a 7700X build (+$800) but the DDR5 and B650 pricing here is insulting
- I'm not sure a 13600K + B660 DDR4 build (+$380) would be worth it for the projected ~15% better fps minimums over a 5600?
- I'd like to shove a 4090 in there next year (maybe new PSU, maybe just power throttle it); the 3080 should resell well

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thanks for the replies! :)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Used and hand-me-down PC build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $110.00)
Cooler: Stock AMD cooler (included with CPU)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $60.00)
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (hand-me-down)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $400.00 last summer)
Case: Corsair 4000D ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $62.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Spare I bought a couple years ago, still in warranty)

I intended to get a 2600 but they kept getting sniped and the 3600x ended up being not that much more and had the stock cooler so cool, my kids don't care about noise. also they were fighting over the existing computer again so i decided just to buy what i could actually get for some peace and quiet, lol. The 850W EVGA PSU used to run my threadripper but I upgraded to one that was actually silent.

2 Quick questions left:

1: Is "Asrock instant flash" the thing that just works from USB even if you don't have a supported CPU? I don't know what everyone's brand names for the feature are. Theoretically it's got the BIOS for the 3000 series chips but if not I'll need to update it when it gets here. I can grab the cheapest AM4 CPU just to have one around if need be.

2: RAM - Do I need to try to find if anything on the QVL is still for sale years later, or does generic DDR4-3200 CL16 work on Zen2? I'm hoping I can just buy RAM that says it's for AMD and run it.

e: Appreciate all the help from the thread, thanks. I did end up getting that RX 580 for $100 ($102 after tax/shipping) which is even cheaper than the one i got pre-craptomania ($125 I think)

Harik fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 17, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Harik posted:

2: RAM - Do I need to try to find if anything on the QVL is still for sale years later, or does generic DDR4-3200 CL16 work on Zen2? I'm hoping I can just buy RAM that says it's for AMD and run it.

Personally I'd still check the QVL just to try to avoid any potential headaches. I'm dragging my feet on doing a build around my old 3600X, but I verified the memory I'm kicking down from my old machine is on the QVL list for the MSI B550 board I picked up for the purpose. I'm running 4x8GB sticks, which isn't going to work with every combination of memory and motherboard, but this G.Skill 3200 16CL RAM did on my old motherboard and should on the new motherboard, too. DDR4 prices are still decent, I believe, so even if you spend a little more for something on the QVL it's probably not going to be that much of an extra expense.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Extremely Penetrated posted:

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/4Bkghk

Sanity check please? I've been itching to retire the 6600k & GTX 1080 for a year now and am sick of waiting. It's just for games on a 3440x1440 175Hz screen. My country's retailers gouge like crazy on the new stuff so I'm looking at an ex-mining RTX 3080 and then investing as little as possible into a DDR4 platform. I'm happy to spend more if it's actually worth it.

- I was originally excited about a 7700X build (+$800) but the DDR5 and B650 pricing here is insulting
- I'm not sure a 13600K + B660 DDR4 build (+$380) would be worth it for the projected ~15% better fps minimums over a 5600?
- I'd like to shove a 4090 in there next year (maybe new PSU, maybe just power throttle it); the 3080 should resell well

If your heart is set on a 4090, then get a better CPU. The 4090 is an insane GPU, and a 5600 will hold it back quite a bit at 3440x1440. Hell, we're even seeing it get CPU bottlenecked with better CPUs not too infrequently at 4K. You are going to see a way bigger difference than 15% better minimums with a 13600K. And the low-speed memory you want to carry over to this build will only make matters worse. You ideally want a high-end CPU and DDR5 to go with a 4090 at sub-4K resolutions, otherwise you shouldn't even bother. In fact, you probably shouldn't bother at all if you're sub-4K 175Hz. My advice would be to just be content with the 3080 (it will be a perfectly good card for 3440x1440 for a while) or get the 4080 16GB once it comes down in price.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Troubleshooting question. I've had the computer hard power off 3 times in about as many weeks. No issues for the past 2 years with this system until recently and I haven't changed the config or anything like that for about a year. The PSU is from 2019 so not new and not old. I assume its some piece of hardware critically failing in some way but not sure. Usually I have a game open I think so considering its hard powering off and I just can press the power button to turn it on again it might be the PSU?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What video card is it?

It’s not always the same game I assume?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Random shutdowns with no bluescreens, artifacting, or any other errors is almost always due to the PSU. I've also had it happen when power cables weren't plugged in securely.

Edit: run some temperature-monitoring software like hwinfo64 to check for overheating too, though usually a PC will not want to boot for a short while after shutting down due to overheating (it will tell you that the temperature is too high or whatever).

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm running a 3090 (evga ftw3) non-oc. It's not stressful at all I usually just have WoW up. Not running full RT cp2077 or anything. Also CPU is 5800x3D but that is usually not up there either. Fans are not running at 100% since you can normally tell when they're going near that fast.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean it could possibly be a transient spike?

That’s a pretty power hungry card so I wouldn’t rule that out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My guess is that for whatever reason, the PSU is being hit with transient spikes from your GPU and shutting down. Maybe the games you're playing now are causing it more than the games you've been playing for the past year. You can try a small undervolt on the 3090 to see if that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah I know. It's been fine for 2 years even stress testing it a bit when upgrades so it would be annoying for it to go now. It is only 750W PSU and I already bought a new PSU the last time this happened. Anyways, it seems I wasn't off track thing it was probably power.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

doomisland posted:

I'm running a 3090 (evga ftw3) non-oc. It's not stressful at all I usually just have WoW up. Not running full RT cp2077 or anything. Also CPU is 5800x3D but that is usually not up there either. Fans are not running at 100% since you can normally tell when they're going near that fast.

What's the wattage on your PSU? Also, I would second checking the temps. I'm running a 5800X3D and 3080 12GB and I had to upgrade my case to get more reasonable temps (without taking a panel off).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know if your PSU is necessarily dying. It may just be that the 3090 is being spikier in its power draw now than previously due to the games you're playing. Try setting the voltage curve in MSI Afterburner so it maxes out at ~1900 MHz at 900mV and see if that helps (short guide in the video above).

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'll see about undervolting this week see if that works over the next bit. Ran the time spy stress test and it keeps cooling targets well enough and is stable (passed with a 97.1% stability score)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doomisland posted:

I'll see about undervolting this week see if that works over the next bit. Ran the time spy stress test and it keeps cooling targets well enough and is stable (passed with a 97.1% stability score)

Here is a good video about transient spikes

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

For $100+ I hope it does!

Well for a start it's the first one I've bought that's actually a KVM (presents virtual peripherals to both computers at all times and switches the inputs) rather than a switch. So that's something.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I put together a big upgrade for my PC. I ordered the parts and I thought I double checked everything buuuuut...

The motherboard I went with is the Asus TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI and the RAM I went with G.Skill Flare X5 Series (F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5). I checked Asus's website and that set of memory isn't showing up on the memory support page. Should I try to get ahead of this and order new ram and plan on returning the stuff I ordered or is there a chance the stuff I ordered will work?

Edit: I'm an idiot, you can disregard this post. It's on the Qualified Vendor List on G.Skill's website. Thank God.

You would have been fine either way, just FYI. QVL is basically “Hey we tested this and it works as we want it to!”

For the most part, ram is ram and ram is almost all made by the same handful of companies. And if XMP doesn’t work (which it usually will anyway) you can just manually set the timings to the same effect.

doomisland posted:

Yeah I know. It's been fine for 2 years even stress testing it a bit when upgrades so it would be annoying for it to go now. It is only 750W PSU and I already bought a new PSU the last time this happened. Anyways, it seems I wasn't off track thing it was probably power.

A 3090 FTW3 (high power target card), a 5800x3D, and a 750w PSU, it’s extremely likely that transient spikes are the issue.

It could be caused by something as simple as a WOW client update. Some games cause spikes a lot more than others, and 750w is below the minimum PSU requirement for a 3090 FTW3.

We’ve discussed a lot in this thread in the past about it being fine to be below GPU power requirements, but that isn’t really the case with newer generation higher end GPUs. Most of them can (and will) spike total system draw up to and over 1000w, which will kick over the overpower protection circuits the PSU has and shut you down. I’m of the opinion that unless the cost is extremely prohibitive, sizing a PSU up a couple 100 watts is usually worth it to minimize the risk of this issue. This is especially true if you plan to have your PSU last more than one GPU generation, as we seem to be trending towards over 1000w minimum requirements within the next few gens. A few years ago 650w was considered pretty high end.

Undervolting as stated above is also a fix for this problem, at the expense of some minor performance loss and having to gently caress around with OC tools.

Crappier PSUs will have lower spike thresholds. And when you have a power hungry CPU, your headroom for a spike is much power.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EVGA and Nvidia both only recommend a 750W PSU for the 3090. And you really don't need to reduce your performance at all depending on how you do the undervolt. (I suggested a frequency target that would likely not lose any performance—it would maybe even gain a little)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oh I must of confused it with another card. Most of the 3090 class cards seemed to request 850w at launch.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah I have a 1200W PSU in a box but I don't want to recable every thing if I can avoid it :v:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
When looking at capable air coolers, Ryzen 7 or i7 level, are there any brands other than bequiet and Noctua worth considering?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Incessant Excess posted:

When looking at capable air coolers, Ryzen 7 or i7 level, are there any brands other than bequiet and Noctua worth considering?

Scythe Fuma 2

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Incessant Excess posted:

Deepcool AK620 is pretty good and cheaper than Noctua.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Harik posted:

Used and hand-me-down PC build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $110.00)
Cooler: Stock AMD cooler (included with CPU)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $60.00)
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (hand-me-down)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $400.00 last summer)
Case: Corsair 4000D ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $62.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Spare I bought a couple years ago, still in warranty)

I intended to get a 2600 but they kept getting sniped and the 3600x ended up being not that much more and had the stock cooler so cool, my kids don't care about noise. also they were fighting over the existing computer again so i decided just to buy what i could actually get for some peace and quiet, lol. The 850W EVGA PSU used to run my threadripper but I upgraded to one that was actually silent.

2 Quick questions left:

1: Is "Asrock instant flash" the thing that just works from USB even if you don't have a supported CPU? I don't know what everyone's brand names for the feature are. Theoretically it's got the BIOS for the 3000 series chips but if not I'll need to update it when it gets here. I can grab the cheapest AM4 CPU just to have one around if need be.

e: Appreciate all the help from the thread, thanks. I did end up getting that RX 580 for $100 ($102 after tax/shipping) which is even cheaper than the one i got pre-craptomania ($125 I think)

1. You need a compatible CPU as far as I’m aware. I wouldn’t be too concerned about any issues though.

2. Checking the QVL is a good idea, and likely won’t cost you too much more than your dice roll options. At the same time, you’ll probably be OK if that’s not feasible.

Nice little system for the kiddos, by the way. Basically what I’ve been running for a whole heap of things these last couple years.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MaxxBot posted:

Deepcool AK620 is pretty good and cheaper than Noctua.

Thank you, I'll take them into consideration.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The AK620 does seem like a winner at half the price of the NH-D15 with the white covers I was going to buy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scythe doesn't have an AM5-compatible Fuma available yet, so be careful about that if you're going Zen 4. You can not use AM4-compatible Fuma 2s with AM5, and Scythe said that they will not be able to produce a new adapter for physical compatibility reasons. I don't know what exactly the issue is, but Scythe is the only company I know of that has just given up on supporting AM5 with their older coolers.

Thermalright's Peerless Assassin is a viable super cheap 120mm dual-tower cooler. Every review I've seen of it has come away impressed that such a cheap cooler manages to be competitive with the D15, DRP4, AK620, etc. It's currently $35 on amazon.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are either of AMD or Intel offerings worth upgrading from a 3900x at this point? It would be paired with a 3080ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

nitsuga posted:

2. Checking the QVL is a good idea, and likely won’t cost you too much more than your dice roll options. At the same time, you’ll probably be OK if that’s not feasible.

Nice little system for the kiddos, by the way. Basically what I’ve been running for a whole heap of things these last couple years.

sadly B450 is too old to have any memory left on their QVL anymore. Too many model changes each year end up making release-day QVLs obsolete. I found one seller for $100 and everything else was north of $150, for 16gb.

However g.skill does have a website that verifies their parts on individual motherboards, so I found the F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW 2x8 kit in stock for $65. Cheapest ram is $50 so worth the premium for a hopefully-working setup.