Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I blame Jedi Knight, it was the first mouselook game I played back in '97 and it came with inverted controls by default; since I also played a whole loving lot of space sims it inverted just made sense, I've been playing like that since. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
The beta was really fun when it worked. I played psyker mainly and liked it a lot. I almost never play glass cannon or caster types but being able to reliable take out specials was super satisfying along with the force push.

I kind of want them to do something more with Ogryn though. It didn't feel like his attacks had weight behind them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bussamove posted:

The beta ran super smooth for me and was super fun so I’m going to preorder it.

It’s me I’m the Fatshark-enabling problem.

I generally don't preorder, maybe once every few years. But I make an exception for studios who I like. I spent such a small amount of money per hour enjoyed of VT1/VT2, and I had fun with the Darktide beta, so I'll preorder.

[edit: Just to be clear, I'm definitely not advocating anyone preorder. It's a stupid thing to do.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 18, 2022

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I was just like lets fire up darktide and play a mission :(

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

slow_twitch posted:

I think the most disturbing thing noted from this thread is how many people play with inverted controls

If I'm using a controller I have to use inverted Y axis, my brain can't handle "normal"

With a mouse though it's always standard. I honestly didn't know anyone played with inverted controls with KB+M

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Floppychop posted:

If I'm using a controller I have to use inverted Y axis, my brain can't handle "normal"

With a mouse though it's always standard. I honestly didn't know anyone played with inverted controls with KB+M

This is me as well, I can’t be normal on controller but inverted mouse is the blackest of magicks and 100% heresy.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Bussamove posted:

The beta ran super smooth for me and was super fun so I’m going to preorder it.

It’s me I’m the Fatshark-enabling problem.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only time I had crashes in the beta was when I blindly followed the internet generic advice to set worker threads to 6. Undoing that change gave me buttery smooth performance with zero crashes, 60+ fps consistently with incredibly rare hiccups.

It's the only good implementation of RTX I've seen, to boot.

Also literally every single thing about it felt like an improved version of Vermintide, or at worst the exact same thing as vermintide, I was blown away by how many people were complaining about things like "bad melee-feel" but like, what? It's the exact same melee feel as vermintide. I have no idea how anyone saw any part of this game (outside of technical issues they had or just really hating WH40k) as worse than Vermintide.

e: not preordering because I am broke but I will buy it on sale in the future :hellyeah:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 18, 2022

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Inverted mouse chat - those of us who use it are exposed as old farts. I’m almost positive it was the standard control scheme for mouselook FPS in the 90s, probably because of flight sims being the OG “mouselook”.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I don't use inverted mouse but I do use the arrow keys to move as a result of playing ancient FPS games, and none among you have the power to stop me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Al-Saqr posted:

wow I was chatting online with people about how cool the boss fight in the game with the Chaos Captain was, and apparently that boss comes in with randomized weapons! sometimes he'll come in with a sword, Axe, Shotgun, plasma pistol combo, that's a really great idea to make boss fights different every time!

What the gently caress? Every single time I did this the mother fucker had a shotgun and a big mace thing and dude gently caress that gun

Orv
May 4, 2011

S.J. posted:

What the gently caress? Every single time I did this the mother fucker had a shotgun and a big mace thing and dude gently caress that gun

Yeah the captain can have all sorts of things and it drastically changes how dangerous they are.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This beta was extremely cpu bound for me and violently swung between 140 fps and 60 fps with a 3080/5800x3d. That said, it was still pretty fun.

I was thinking about future classes being paid dlc and how I don't want to deal with buying poo poo on the MS store, and then I started thinking about how there will almost certainly be no way to transfer progress between MS and Steam accounts, and then I realized there's no crossplay at launch and probably will never be crossplay.

So now I guess I'm planning on just seeing how hosed it still is at launch via gamepass and if it's not hosed just buying it on steam?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i was just gonna try it on gamepass and maybe restart later on steam if it's worth buying. if it's not fun enough to swap and relevel, then it's probably not fun enough to bother continuing to play

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

inverted mouse was the normal setting on duke nukem 3d. it wasn't inverted then! it was normal! quake standardized the current heretical convention.

even so, in support of general heresy, I played a round with my friend over the weekend and it's surprisingly hard to describe the actual physical pain of playing with the opposite mouse setting you're accustomed to. I felt like I actually had a neck injury afterwards.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

deep dish peat moss posted:

Also literally every single thing about it felt like an improved version of Vermintide, or at worst the exact same thing as vermintide, I was blown away by how many people were complaining about things like "bad melee-feel" but like, what? It's the exact same melee feel as vermintide. I have no idea how anyone saw any part of this game (outside of technical issues they had or just really hating WH40k) as worse than Vermintide.

How hard were you looking? I think Darktide was a step up graphically and the world-building is great, but the only step up gameplay-wise I could see was the social hub. Each class in Vermintide had three subclasses, and in this, they have one. Also, each class had like, two weapon choices per slot. Ogryn can have knife or mace, and shotgun or ripper gun. All itemization at that point is minor incremental stat increases on the same weapon types.

I've been told that the weapon choice was more limited for the purposes of the beta though. Also, weapons are now the only way to kit your character out - trinkets aren't a thing anymore.

I'm not making GBS threads on Darktide I'm just genuinely confused about how anybody could see it as anything but a step back in gameplay and a step forward in tech.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The big step forward is almost entirely the greater integration of ranged combat imo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arsonide posted:

How hard were you looking? I think Darktide was a step up graphically and the world-building is great, but the only step up gameplay-wise I could see was the social hub. Each class in Vermintide had three subclasses, and in this, they have one. Also, each class had like, two weapon choices per slot. Ogryn can have knife or mace, and shotgun or ripper gun. All itemization at that point is minor incremental stat increases on the same weapon types.

I've been told that the weapon choice was more limited for the purposes of the beta though. Also, weapons are now the only way to kit your character out - trinkets aren't a thing anymore.

I'm not making GBS threads on Darktide I'm just genuinely confused about how anybody could see it as anything but a step back in gameplay and a step forward in tech.

Trinkets are a thing, AFAICT from looking around, they just weren't in this test.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The need to switch quickly and smartly between ranged and melee feels so much better here than in VT, really keeps the gameplay fresh when you're shifting gears based on whether the next encounter is either guardsman or poxbearer heavy, and then you get melee guardsmen/elites to trip you up and keep you on your toes. It helps that none of the weapons I've tried truly feel bad, just mostly down to preference.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Arsonide posted:

Also, each class had like, two weapon choices per slot. Ogryn can have knife or mace, and shotgun or ripper gun. All itemization at that point is minor incremental stat increases on the same weapon types.
Every other class got way more guns. I played Zealot for a dozen levels and got to try out half a dozen different weapons: I started out with an autopistol and an axe, then unlocked an autorifle, a shotgun (:swoon:), a knife-sword and a chainsword, and I know for certain I missed out on the thunder hammer. I'm also pretty sure I could have unlocked the lasgun and the revolver that the other classes started out with, and some of the weapons had two or three different variants available. Swords and axes had different attack patterns and the rifles had both semi and full auto variants iirc.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Corbeau posted:

The big step forward is almost entirely the greater integration of ranged combat imo.

This. That both the player and the enemies are encouraged to get shooty a hell of a lot more changes the overall flow a ton.

Keep in mind that we are seeing a fairly limited selection of weapons and mechanics explicitly because it's a beta. It seemed like the main thing they were testing was stress-loading the servers.

Fatshark Jank is at this point more or less expected. For anyone who played VT1/2 at launch, they pretty much immediately know what that means and are either ejecting out or committing to the purchase regardless. I personally fall into the latter. It's going to be a mess, but it'll at least be a fun mess.

Edit: The Ogryns having unique weapons is going to be a blessing and a curse more or less in equal measure depending on how badly they get Fatsharked. I can see a world where the shared weapon pools on the other three wind up making them all feel fairly samey, while the ogryn weapons will all feel fairly unique to the class. The balance point is going to be specifically how many weapons the Ogryn will have access to writ large. I think someone said they are confirmed for power claws and heavy stubbers, which more or less gels with tabletop. Their character select screen during the beta mentioned something called Grenade Fists too. I've not really sat down and analyzed the trailers to figure out what else is in, but I gotta figure they get a superheavy melee option like a two handed chainaxe or warhammer / power hammer. Maybe another heavy gun platform? Autocannon or some sort of goofy lascannon pattern that's built ogryn tough?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 18, 2022

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ehhh this was a closed beta when fatshark can add new weapons. I remember a lot of the old flak was getting horde and melee mechanics sane yet accessible enough to bother working with it. lessons look they have been learned but we got a while to wait before it is going to be the best it is going to be. adding the ranged threat and suppression mechanics seems like its going to keep it fresh. if you liked being a biotic charger with ME 3 coop then the positioning and rush game is going to be engaging.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm hoping there's a Bullgryn subclass released eventually that has the huge gently caress-off shield option.

e: Did VT add more characters into the game over time or were they all present at launch?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

kaleedity posted:

even so, in support of general heresy, I played a round with my friend over the weekend and it's surprisingly hard to describe the actual physical pain of playing with the opposite mouse setting you're accustomed to. I felt like I actually had a neck injury afterwards.

Yeah, I attempted to play non-inverted and I developed a serious headache after about 5 minutes. There’s no way I could have finished an entire round. Still boggles my mind that they forgot about this setting both in the limited test and this beta.

Imagine signing up for a college course and discovering first day that all note-taking must be written with your non-dominant hand. There’s going to be some angry first-day refunds if Fatshark forgets about this yet again for release.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
On the topic of controls, I don't know if I 'm just an old man now but I was really struggling with the default keybinds being so cramped.

Switching to a controller (and changing sprint to toggle instead of hold) was an immediate improvement.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

I'm hoping there's a Bullgryn subclass released eventually that has the huge gently caress-off shield option.

e: Did VT add more characters into the game over time or were they all present at launch?

Vermintide never added more characters but they did add new classes in Vermintide 2. Adding a new character would be an exponential amount of new voice work.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I really hated that the special binds to the mouse4 or 5 because I do not have a gamer mouse. I would like tag on something like [T] and special on Mouse3

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

Vermintide never added more characters but they did add new classes in Vermintide 2. Adding a new character would be an exponential amount of new voice work.

Yeah I wouldn't assume they'd so so, just didn't know.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Grognan posted:

I really hated that the special binds to the mouse4 or 5 because I do not have a gamer mouse. I would like tag on something like [T] and special on Mouse3
Good news!

They had that functionality in the beta.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Siivola posted:

Good news!

They had that functionality in the beta.

yea but I had to rebind every time I opened it back up. I guess I do not like idleing my game apps when I do other things.

edit: I got the bernie treatment

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Grognan posted:

ehhh this was a closed beta when fatshark can add new weapons. I remember a lot of the old flak was getting horde and melee mechanics sane yet accessible enough to bother working with it. lessons look they have been learned but we got a while to wait before it is going to be the best it is going to be. adding the ranged threat and suppression mechanics seems like its going to keep it fresh. if you liked being a biotic charger with ME 3 coop then the positioning and rush game is going to be engaging.

Every time I charged ahead of the group with the zealot dash into a pack of imperial guards, healing off all the damage their lasers did to me and dancing circles around chopping them up with an axe while they ineffectively flailed at their knives was badass and it never got old

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, watching some VT2 gameplay for old times' sake, and the Keep has so much more personality than the pseudo-mmo hub in Diretide.
Here's hoping they at least give us something to do while waiting for matches to start, like a firing range or an obstacle course etc.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the phrase "turbo honk and bonk" does not leave my mind when I was shepherding anyone that was smaller than an ogryn

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

slow_twitch posted:

I think the most disturbing thing noted from this thread is how many people play with inverted controls
You tilt your head back to look up. It's not complicated :colbert:

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 18, 2022

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

skaianDestiny posted:

This would be an improvement for 40k in general tbh.
I agree, but the Imperium is also already basically the Skaven:

- Uncountable numbers? Check
- Live in huge underground burrows hives? Check
- Nazis? Check
- Mad science / genetic monstrosities / war crimes? Check

The main thing they're lacking is the sense of humour, but that's a general 40k problem.

So the biggest plot twist of Darktide is that this time you're playing as the rats!

Corbeau posted:

Yeah this is the thing that changes the formula up the most imo. There was always a bit of ranged combat in VT but it feels much more common and impactful in Darktide and it's a nice change. I'm not sure there's anything else that mixes ranged combat with a relatively deep and rewarding melee system?

I will probably buy the game on release unless the performance is still a problem, since I only have a 1060.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 18, 2022

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Getting that app installed to force inverted mouse made me go from "this is a piece of poo poo" to "actually this is quite fun". It helps that I also started to recognise the specials better and the maps seemed a bit nicer second time around. Wish I'd thought to try the RTX settings.

I'll probably buy it on Steam for release. Just seems likely to be the better option in the long run than gamepass.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zephro posted:

You tilt your head back to look up. It's not complicated :colbert:

Yeah but if I grab my nose instead of the back of my head I push forward to look up.

Perfect logic :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah I might do the Gamepass version first just to see how launch performance is, but any serious play would probably be on Steam since that will almost definitely have the longer lifespan

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Getting that app installed to force inverted mouse made me go from "this is a piece of poo poo" to "actually this is quite fun".

I’m sorry, which app? I tried a couple and neither were functional for me. If there’s a 3rd party workaround I’d be very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Magitek posted:

I’m sorry, which app? I tried a couple and neither were functional for me. If there’s a 3rd party workaround I’d be very happy.

This reddit post worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/y3usot/comment/isb3vy7/

Install RawAccel, reboot, run it, run the other thing.