Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

man nurse posted:

I hate to break it to you but RE has been pretty silly from the get and has only continued to do so. Only recently have they dipped back into more of the survival horror trappings and even then it’s still full of absolutely absurd scenarios and sequences.

RE is camp all the way down, but that doesn’t mean it can’t also be tense and atmospheric. In fact I love the series for being able to balance both.

Other than the weird voice acting which wasn’t intentional the first 3 resident evil games are serious and when the series started getting a little goofy with Veronica and Zero Mikami San right away came back and made Resident Evil Remake which got rid of the goofy dialogue and actually darkened the tone of the game into something even more serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Noob Saibot posted:

Why do RE fans have to be subject to that sillyness. If you want cartoony action like your character body slamming zombies then Capcom has a game for you its called Dead Rising

You should give Resident Evil 4 a shot, it's pretty good

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Even in modern RE you have stuff like a virus literally activated by fear in Rev 2, the chainsaw duel in RE7, Chris being called a boulder punching rear end in a top hat in RE8...

No matter how you slice it, RE has never been afraid to throw in some sillier stuff to balance out the serious.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Noob Saibot posted:

Other than the weird voice acting which wasn’t intentional the first 3 resident evil games are serious and when the series started getting a little goofy with Veronica and Zero Mikami San right away came back and made Resident Evil Remake which got rid of the goofy dialogue and actually darkened the tone of the game into something even more serious

Mikami made 4 after the Remake. He also made God Hand, which was goofy as hell, and cowrote things with Suda51 who also loves to be goofy as hell. Dude loves himself some goofs combined with action.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BisbyWorl posted:

Even in modern RE you have stuff like a virus literally activated by fear in Rev 2, the chainsaw duel in RE7, Chris being called a boulder punching rear end in a top hat in RE8...

No matter how you slice it, RE has never been afraid to throw in some sillier stuff to balance out the serious.

I think it's funny that this series has been going so long that the seven year old Rev 2 counts as "modern RE". Like, I agree with you, it feels like modern RE but there's been two mainline games, two remakes and Umbrella Corps since Barry finally got a starring role. I guess Rev 2 is the tail end of the "horror entertainment" era really.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Noob Saibot posted:

You really don't think there's anything not serious about the police station having secret passages and puzzles to solve?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Defiance Industries posted:

You really don't think there's anything not serious about the police station having secret passages and puzzles to solve?

Don't forget the lack of bathrooms until the remake!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

You literally fight an alligator in a sewer in RE2. They know what they were doing.

RE has always been a homage to horror movies and with that came a combination of serious and silly that it leaned in to. You run from giant Indiana Jones trap balls, fight giant snakes, spiders, and sharks. You encounter not one but two different bioweapons wearing trenchcoats. Finishing bosses off with a cool quip was common even at the start.

Part of the fun of RE is how seriously it takes absurd situations. It has *always* been horror movies taken to silly lengths. RE7 is Texas Chainsaw and RE8 has you fighting knockoff Hammer Horror monsters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 18, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jill Sandwich.
Armor Key.
Yawn.
"Chris' blood??"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The canonical Chris laughing in Wesker's face at the sight of the Tyrant.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've just downloaded the Resident Evil 4 remaster on PS4 in anticipation for the remake. This game owns so much, I've played it a bazillion times. It's campy because you can suplex ganados and Leon's conversations with Hunnigan are FanFiction.net levels of writing, but it's also scary as hell and can quickly introduce a level of panic whenever the zombies rush you or there's a chainsaw dude.

That being said, I would like the remake to have more slow burn horror. An isolated European village where everyone has gone mad should easily be able to rely on it's atmosphere.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Interesting that it sounds like there will be more in this presentation than just RE4 and RE8 Gold.

I'm one of those sicko's who still likes the PS1 trilogy and thinks they still have their place and merits, even in a post remake world - especially 2 & 3. I can't think of anything RE related that I want more than Capcom to get those games on Steam or put them in a nice collection together.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm the sicko who wants a RE5 remake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe they could remake it into a good game

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Again,

RE5 = good

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

codo27 posted:

Again,

RE5 = good

You're insanely wrong about that, but I respect your bad opinion nonetheless

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The consensus seems to be that RE5 is an enjoyable co-op experience but a flawed solo experience due to partner AI issues. Since I don't have a friend interested in playing RE5 and I don't want to suffer incompetent AI I'll defer to the judgement of the consensus.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ImpAtom posted:

You literally fight an alligator in a sewer in RE2. They know what they were doing.

RE has always been a homage to horror movies and with that came a combination of serious and silly that it leaned in to. You run from giant Indiana Jones trap balls, fight giant snakes, spiders, and sharks. You encounter not one but two different bioweapons wearing trenchcoats. Finishing bosses off with a cool quip was common even at the start.

Part of the fun of RE is how seriously it takes absurd situations. It has *always* been horror movies taken to silly lengths. RE7 is Texas Chainsaw and RE8 has you fighting knockoff Hammer Horror monsters.
I feel the main difference is that the original trilogy was more straight faced in dealing with the silliness, on top of being much more sparse in letting up the tension compared to RE4. Of course RE4 was still miles ahead of the follow ups in that regard, but that is probably a major factor in how people actually feel about the silliness inherent to the franchise. It's a lot more about the presentation than the "objective" silliness of what's going on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/SilentHill/status/1581754587563708416?t=Hu4qmC9GyiPyjqay8ENyiA&s=19

Not RE but there's some crossover fans. I've had my hopes crashed a billion times before, I'm ready to be hurt again

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It will be a mobile game and a Netflix movie that will have nothing to do with any of the games

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Medullah posted:

https://twitter.com/SilentHill/status/1581754587563708416?t=Hu4qmC9GyiPyjqay8ENyiA&s=19

Not RE but there's some crossover fans. I've had my hopes crashed a billion times before, I'm ready to be hurt again

Lmao that they’ve timed this to preempt RE by a day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel the main difference is that the original trilogy was more straight faced in dealing with the silliness, on top of being much more sparse in letting up the tension compared to RE4. Of course RE4 was still miles ahead of the follow ups in that regard, but that is probably a major factor in how people actually feel about the silliness inherent to the franchise. It's a lot more about the presentation than the "objective" silliness of what's going on.

The thing is that aside from a couple of quips RE4 is extremely straight faced about the silliness it deals with. Leon isn't going "Well, THAT happened," he's treating the Invasion of the Body Snatchers/The Thing monsters with pretty much the exact same seriousness as he treated the events in RE2. And people forget Leon wasn't like Always Super Serious Man in RE2 too. His response to Birkin showing up was "Now that's what I call ugly!" Luis is more jokey but he's in the exact same mold as Carlos "All the ladies dig my accent". The human villains are giant cartoons but it isn't like Chief Irons, the guy who hunts people for sport and stuffs their bodies, is particularly less goofy, he just had fewer lines.

I mean don't get me wrong, RE4 is way goofier than RE1-3 because it is set in a weird fantasy notSpain town with a conveniently close by castle with lava pits and a giant loving statue. But it actually puts a lot of effort into building tension and fear despite the fact that Leon can spinkick enemies in the face. Even where it is more overtly action oriented, like the village attack, it's using the constant overwhelming threat of enemies and gradual introduction of new dangers like the chainsaw guy to build up danger and leave you feeling overwhelmed.

I think it's easy to lose track of where RE4 does effective horror because once you know the tricks they don't work as well and a lot of us have replayed RE4 to death, but I honestly would rank the Verdungo stalking sequence or the Regenerator buildup as some of the best horror RE has done.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lmao that they’ve timed this to preempt RE by a day.

Silent hill was actually announced first

And both events are Apperantly a result of Sony cancelling their conference because they are having some beef with Microsoft over exclusives

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
RE4’s dialogue is so perfectly strange. the characters seldom actually speak to one another, they’re just throwing vaguely related quips back and forth

it’s like the castlevania WHAT IS A MAN exchange stretched out to an entire game

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I love RE4, but my blasphemous hope is that they leave the stupid giant Napoleon statue bit in the old versions. Even with the campy tone of the game that part was so out of place.

Unless it stomps around chasing you like a gundam-sized Mr. X for the last part of the game using their stalker AI once again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Electromax posted:

I love RE4, but my blasphemous hope is that they leave the stupid giant Napoleon statue bit in the old versions. Even with the campy tone of the game that part was so out of place.

Unless it stomps around chasing you like a gundam-sized Mr. X for the last part of the game using their stalker AI once again.

Counterpoint: have the remake be the most serious horror the franchise has ever been, except leave the statue in.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

remove guns from resident evil 4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
keep the statue but have it do nothing until Salazar dies, at which point it runs at you vertically up the tower like sonic the hedgehog

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just have the statue fight a giant in a French kaiju battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you wanted to 'serious' it up while still keeping it goofy, just have it be a giant fuckin' statue and when Salazar goes Plagas Mode he fuses with it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

it should be in the style of god hand

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Medullah posted:

Jesus Christ I know Konami is just going to jerk us around but drat I can hope this is an actual game worth waiting for.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SettingSun posted:

Jesus Christ I know Konami is just going to jerk us around but drat I can hope this is an actual game worth waiting for.

I'd honestly settle for remasters of 1-4. Though 2 already has the fan Enhanced Edition which is amazing

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that's what it will probably be. They'll test the water with a remaster, and if it sells well enough they'll greenlight an actual new title.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SettingSun posted:

Konami recently restructured it’s a different leadership team that wants to get back into console gaming

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Noob Saibot posted:

Konami recently restructured it’s a different leadership team that wants to get back into console gaming

Yeah, back in 2017. It's a pretty different company now, they're throwing us Suikoden fans a bone too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Medullah posted:

I'd honestly settle for remasters of 1-4. Though 2 already has the fan Enhanced Edition which is amazing

I want to maintain the original voice-acting, though. I'm glad SH4 escaped the HD Collection treatment.

But I had no idea about this SH2 EE. This is awesome, thanks for the info.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I want to maintain the original voice-acting, though. I'm glad SH4 escaped the HD Collection treatment.

But I had no idea about this SH2 EE. This is awesome, thanks for the info.

Oh man it's amazing. Feel free to send me a PM if you need help setting it up. It's so worth it, they did an amazing job and are constantly updating it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

ImpAtom posted:

If you wanted to 'serious' it up while still keeping it goofy, just have it be a giant fuckin' statue and when Salazar goes Plagas Mode he fuses with it.

I'm mad at you because I now firmly believe this is exactly what will happen, it matches the set up and pacing model religiously used in RE and similar games. I feel like I've seen a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
That would be acceptable.