Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Man, Plague Tale: Requiem sounds rough as gently caress on console. Barely runs well on a 2080Ti on PC. The body and facial animations are more than clunky, and it’s twice as long in a much looser less gripping story. I’m sad to hear this because I almost punched the buy button last night. I haven’t actually found a ps5 specific review about how it feels to play despite the chugging engine, or what haptics are like (superb haptics will make me buy any game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Volte posted:

I think Microsoft would love to have Game Pass on Playstation, and Call of Duty is a pretty big bargaining chip towards Sony allowing it to happen. I could see them making an offer like "let us put Game Pass on Playstation, and it'll give us the incentive to keep supporting Call of Duty there long term", where Sony has to either choose between potentially giving up Call of Duty or playing ball on Game Pass, both of which give Microsoft the upper hand. Sony's arguments on behalf of themselves seem pretty unconvincing on the face of it—losing Call of Duty would suck for them, but it certainly wouldn't be fatal, and if their fear is that Microsoft and Sony might switch places on the market leaderboard, well...trying to convince regulatory bodies to intervene to prevent that from happening doesn't exactly sound like an attempt at good-faith competition to me—but it does make sense if what Sony is actually scared of is not losing customers to Microsoft, but of the most profitable option being to let Microsoft have their way. "We're afraid that Microsoft will want to work with us and have some good reasons that we should do it" doesn't exactly have the same gravitas with regulators though.

You can just read the CMAs latest issues statements instead of imagining what regulators might think about arguments you made up.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/63494c7de90e0731a80088e7/Issues_Statement_-_Microsoft_Activision__final.pdf

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I also completely dodged any Silent Hill for the entire history of its franchise... I wonder what determines whether someone lands on that vs RE...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am definitely going to try the RE4make because I never managed to get into RE4 when I had it on another console. I love RE1,2,3,CodeVernoica, Re1make, Re2make and Re3make - all fantastic and the remakes are my absolute favourite versions of each of them.

also Silent Hill 1 - 4 I already said, but I seriously dug them. I beat 1 and 2. 3 I got way too scared at a number of points and really want to finish it. 4 I lost my save and tailed off.

If 1 - 4 are re-released I am for sure getting them again. I still have my special edition PS2 silent hill DVD with the postcards and the extra Disc full of videos. :)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Someone on the last page mentioned game pass not being the biggest reason for the Xbox’s success but idk. It won over a few of my friends and came pretty close to winning me over… and honestly between that and their ownership of id Soft/Machine Games/Arkane it will probably be my second console. I’ve been PlayStation only for every other generation without a second thought. It was just a handful of first party studios that kept me from switching outright.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Man, Plague Tale: Requiem sounds rough as gently caress on console. Barely runs well on a 2080Ti on PC. The body and facial animations are more than clunky, and it’s twice as long in a much looser less gripping story. I’m sad to hear this because I almost punched the buy button last night. I haven’t actually found a ps5 specific review about how it feels to play despite the chugging engine, or what haptics are like (superb haptics will make me buy any game).

The reviews I read noted some sections with frame rate drops but made it sound mild. Otherwise they were glowing. I already bought it so I’ll do a trip report after I’ve gotten a decent way into the game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1582129468134473728

October 20th for the Resident Evil event. Looking forward to seeing more of RE4 Remake!

Demo time baybeee

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

caldrax posted:

I just finally finished playing through Silent Hill 4 after being so hyped for it when it came out and never finishing it then due to a roommate stealing my PS2. Played it on the ol' steam deck. Then I saw the news about the new Silent Hill stuff and I got excited. Then I read this thread and my hopes got put back in check. I really hope this is Konami turning it around. I won't hold my breath but it would be a great thing.

3.5 games, one of them is bound to be good!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm still early days into Endwalker but so far it hasnt wowed me yet. Awful lot of go here talk to this person go there talk to that person. And I know that's what the entire game has been forever but theres something missing so far. I think it's the music. It hasnt gotten its hooks in me yet unlike the rest of the soundtrack which hits hard the moment you hear it. The music is good but its been a bit pedestrian so far. Could Soken finally be running out of steam? Hell, not that I would hold it against him mind, I think hes had more hits than most, and hes had a tough time of it too from what I understand.

Still, game is good just not hitting the highs of the previous expansions yet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Y2nTc95ts

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fridge corn posted:

I'm still early days into Endwalker but so far it hasnt wowed me yet. Awful lot of go here talk to this person go there talk to that person. And I know that's what the entire game has been forever but theres something missing so far. I think it's the music. It hasnt gotten its hooks in me yet unlike the rest of the soundtrack which hits hard the moment you hear it. The music is good but its been a bit pedestrian so far. Could Soken finally be running out of steam? Hell, not that I would hold it against him mind, I think hes had more hits than most, and hes had a tough time of it too from what I understand.

There's one particular song in the last zone that gets to me a bit. And, yeah he had a rough go with his cancer.

Overall Endwalker didn't do much for me but it was still good. I haven't uh, actually played since 7.0 but I keep subbed anyway because I'm an idiot. I keep meaning to jump on and unlock the island and do that at least but lol my brain is swiss cheese

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endwalker has some of the best tracks he's ever composed in it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

rude

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

wiiiild SHRIEKS

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean, I havebt even unlocked the first duty yet but my favourite track so far is that reorchestration of that ff5 track that plays in the baldesion annex :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Act 1 of Dragon Quest XI. This game is so wonderful! The hour or so I’ve played of Act 2 so far (which is stuff that wasn’t in the original version, if anyone has only played that and not S) is fuckin hilarious

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I feel like this thread has ads that my adblocker misses, and all for this one youtube channel...

I'm a few hours into A Plague Tale Requiem. Thus far, it's much like the first game. It has the feel of a "AA game" with environmental design and character writing that punches above its weight. It's still primarily a walk-and-talk through one long beautifully designed corridor broken up by stealth puzzle rooms. The animation is an improvement on the first game, but still wooden compared to current AAA titles. It runs unlocked and there are occasional drops, mostly when transitioning between spaces. If you can handle FromSoft's uneven performance, this won't bother you. It's nowhere near as severe as The Last Guardian on PS4 and since it's primarily a slow-paced stealth puzzle game, it doesn't impact gameplay much.

There are quite a lot of slow walks through narrow spaces. I thought SSDs were supposed to eliminate the need for those in this generation, but given the drops that accompany them, I guess they are still necessary.

I can't opine much more since I'm still only two hours into a 20-hour game, but the characters and environments are still solid and that's what I liked about the first game. So, happy with it so far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BP likely doesn’t have Facebook so he just uses this thread as his Facebook feed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I feel like this thread has ads that my adblocker misses, and all for this one youtube channel...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bugblatter posted:

There are quite a lot of slow walks through narrow spaces. I thought SSDs were supposed to eliminate the need for those in this generation, but given the drops that accompany them, I guess they are still necessary.

This will only happen with first party exclusives as everyone else has to account for other systems with slower loading than the PS5. It'll probably keep happening with those too as long as Sony keep doing PS4 versions.
It's also possible that some people will carry on doing it as a narrative device they've gotten used to using as well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Plague Tale Requeim isn't on PS4, but yeah devs a prolly used to it as a pacing device since walk&talk has been a way to structure narrative delivery for a few decades now, it's just ingrained.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's also on PC which isn't guaranteed to have an SSD, though that's a lot rarer nowadays.

And while Xbox does, it doesn't have whatever instant loading thing PS5 does I think? Might be wrong on this and not sure if the difference is enough to matter though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I have never played a Zelda, AMmotherfuckenA

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Someone wondered earlier about A Plague Tale's haptics. They're rather active. You feel a footstep pulse in the run button (R2) when you're sprinting. Brushing through overgrown grass has a sensation much like Returnal's. There's tension on certain weapons, and so forth. Nothing that hasn't been done before, but well implemented.

Unfortunately, that would block every video embed, which doesn't solve the problem. I want to easily browse movie trailers in the CineD thread, among others.

I'm just having a laugh though. It's a little annoying, but only mildly so. Good for that guy, that he has such a big fan.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 18, 2022

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Gets better. I like the fight music tho

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

Gets better. I like the fight music tho

Yeah fight music is an improvement for sure but that's not saying too much cuz Shadowbringers battle music was awful

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can just read the CMAs latest issues statements instead of imagining what regulators might think about arguments you made up.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/63494c7de90e0731a80088e7/Issues_Statement_-_Microsoft_Activision__final.pdf
What are you talking about

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I couldn’t tell if they quoted the wrong person or were just being a nutcase

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Escobarbarian posted:

I couldn’t tell if they quoted the wrong person or were just being a nutcase

Nutcase is a safe bet in this thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aipsh posted:

Imagine not sitting down on December 12th or whatever and coming to the conclusion that no game came even remotely close to the almighty triumph that was Elden Ring, this year at the very least.

You can’t, it’s impossible. Unless you have spiders on the brain making you believe some nonsense interchangeable final fantasy game came out this year and that it wasn’t garbage

:hai:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Univ is there some bias because the Xbox series x is a bit better to find in stock/on store shelves than the ps5 even as of today?

It wouldn't surprise me, not to mention the Series X is actually cheaper in some regions due to PS5's price bump. Again, though, I don't know if there's hard data anywhere reflecting this.

The PS5 is still outselling the Series consoles, but I think the Series consoles are doing better relative to the PS5 than Xbox One was relative to the PS4, and are aided by a plethora of things like the following:

- Simple fomo/grass is greener type thinking pushing people from PlayStation to Xbox (possibly with a longer-term intention of also getting a PS5 when the price is better)
- Various Microsoft marketing strategies which are proving to be very effective, hyping up "Xbox-exclusive features" like Smart Delivery.
- Game Pass, which is also helped by Microsoft's marketing (Sony has a comparatively hard time marketing their own version of the service). Although Sony's service has more games, the PS3 titles being streaming-only and the lack of "day one" titles makes their service less appealing to many.
- Availability. It's really easy for people to just get whatever's on the shelf. In that respect, Series S may have actually been a smart move on Microsoft's part, especially since $299 is a price point that doesn't take some people that much convincing to spend, and its existence might not be too much of a restriction with games gradually dropping support for Xbox One.
- Studio acquisitions. Bethesda is definitely doing some heavy lifting here, as is the future of stuff like Blizzard titles and Call of Duty. To be clear to my previous point, I don't think this is the ONLY reason for more people switching from PS to Xbox to do so, but it's just another tick box on Xbox's side, in a sense, and people who didn't need much convincing or were just looking for an excuse like the acquaintances I referred to earlier are most likely in this camp (and I think some of my brother's friends did also get a PS5, but were Xbox-primary, although that might be backfiring on them now)

Regardless of which side of the console wars you're on or however you want to define it, Microsoft does seem to be doing a better job in the marketing sense, like getting their messaging out there, speaking with confidence and in some cases with a layer of bullshit. Sony's way more reserved and I think to their own detriment, a lot of their new features/announcements are caked with confusing explanations on their workings (and they're not always clear on how to do things, e.g. doing PS4 to PS5 game upgrades which is more flexible in some ways but WAY more confusing than the Xbox equivalent Smart Delivery) or some weird liability stuff, like Xbox came out swinging and basically guaranteed all Xbox One titles (other than Kinect titles) would work, while Sony was and still is really flaky about back compat even though the end result is that there are more Xbox One games that won't boot on a Series S or X than there are PS4 games that won't boot on a PS5.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've long suspected that Microsoft's angle is to try to get Game Pass on Playstation (for example the wording of this statement from around the time of the Bethesda acquisition seemed like it had some subtext aimed at Sony).

Well, I hadn't even seen this when I wrote the previous post above but it looks like Microsoft basically confirmed my suspicions last week
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1580239474126036992

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Volte posted:

I've long suspected that Microsoft's angle is to try to get Game Pass on Playstation (for example the wording of this statement from around the time of the Bethesda acquisition seemed like it had some subtext aimed at Sony).

Well, I hadn't even seen this when I wrote the previous post above but it looks like Microsoft basically confirmed my suspicions last week
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1580239474126036992

That would be great thing. You could play Halo on your PS5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Only two back paddles on this 29,980 yen device?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly, if Microsoft could get Game Pass onto PlayStation, they'd probably eventually stop making consoles other than maybe Game Pass streaming devices. Get the sweet revenue stream and make the far less profitable hardware side of things someone else's problem.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://blog.playstation.com/2022/10/18/dualsense-edge-wireless-controller-for-ps5-launches-globally-on-january-26/

Xbox elite controller 2 (not core) is £160. DualSense Edge is £210. Sony what are you loving DOING

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Escobarbarian posted:

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/10/18/dualsense-edge-wireless-controller-for-ps5-launches-globally-on-january-26/

Xbox elite controller 2 (not core) is £160. DualSense Edge is £210. Sony what are you loving DOING

How FUCKIN MUCH

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aipsh posted:

How FUCKIN MUCH

A switch.

It costs one (1) switch

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It's both way too expensive for a controller imho. Console games are made with the standard controller layout in mind, what's the advantage of a "Pro" controller that is worth more than triple price for the DualSpend?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hopper posted:

It's both way too expensive for a controller imho. Console games are made with the standard controller layout in mind, what's the advantage of a "Pro" controller that is worth more than triple price for the DualSpend?

You get the wrong number of back paddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escobarbarian posted:

Lmao