Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jeep renegade.

I will never purchase a jeep product as long as I live.
Drove from Rome to Florence, it was a bit hard to start. Took it today to the grocery store to grab food, wouldn’t unlock or start, until it magically did. Then it just completely died while driving. The needles were stuck at 40 kpm while I was pulled off to the “side” of the road in a dead stop on a narrow rear end Italian street. It started again, I got it to a safer place and waited for the tow truck. gently caress jeeps in their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Citroen C3 5-door

Nice visibility, pretty decent power for a little tiny car, enough to get out of its own way and do 145km/h on the autoroute (110hp Puretech 1.2 Turbo). Revs pretty quickly and eagerly, overall a good motor. Clutch vague and awful, shifter action not great either. Suspension OK, steering light, a bit buzzy at speed but not bad at all.

Interior very cheap, slightly quirky in terms of materials, stitching, etc. Much better instrument cluster than the old purely digital one that looked like a VCR. CarPlay worked well and infotainment was easy to understand.

Gas version did about 5.1L/100, mix of in town/backroad/autoroute.

A perfectly acceptable car. Not sure why I'd buy one over like, a MQB-A0 or a Clio. It's weird looking but a lot less actually ugly than its sibling the 208.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 17, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

After the jeep poo poo the bed, I got a Skoda Kamiq. It was way nicer. Not much in the way of power but the engine had a satisfying growl in 1st and 2nd gear. It drove nice and more importantly didn’t go completely dead while I was driving it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

2019 Iveco Daily 2.3D (136hp) 8-speed Hi-Matic box truck.

Since my girlfriend is moving back in with me, after 8 months in a temporary job 150km away, we needed a proper vehicle for all her stuff. When she moved out 8 months ago, we rented a "well-loved" Citroën Jumper box truck from a local budget rental company. It wasn't bad, but it had like 300,000km on it and no AC, in the middle of July. That company has since increased their prices to where it's not really defensible, considering the state of their fleet.

So this time I went with Europcar, since it was only like 5% more expensive. The Iveco is basically new, just 23,000km on it. Proper ladder frame truck, RWD, ZF 8HP automatic, strong AC, Bluetooth stereo, air-sprung driver's seat, just really nice to drive overall, two hours went by quickly and undramatically. Not the most powerful engine (350nm though), but it cruises at 110kph unfussed all day with a full box. And the turning circle is capital-T tight, which I highly approve of.

The box itself is a pretty standard fare aluminum box with a lift, it does what it needs to do and holds 18m³ according to the spec sheet. It certainly held a small apartment's worth of stuff and furniture, no complaints.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had a rental Civic Sport from Budget for a few days. Other than costing way too loving much, it was pretty ncie for an "economy" car. Had some sort of automatic transmission with paddle shifters which shifted pretty quickly and smoothly. I couldn't really test the power and handling properly since I was mostly driving on the highways and I didn't want to mess with American cops. I did get just about 40mpg which is about what I can get in my tincan GD Fit so that's pretty good.

Android Auto worked well but annoyingly would have to be restarted whenever you staretd the engine. So I set up navigation when the engine is shut down, pressed the Start Engine button, and AA would restart. It was also a sedan and I ddin't find a way to fold down the rear seats which is dumb.

E: the Start/stop button can gently caress off though. What a pain in the rear end to get it to the state you want (on/acc/start). I'm sure there's a method to this madness but it seemed to do the wrong thing at least 50% of the time.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 21, 2022

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Jeep renegade.

Drove from Rome to Florence, it was a bit hard to start. Took it today to the grocery store to grab food, wouldn’t unlock or start, until it magically did. Then it just completely died while driving. The needles were stuck at 40 kpm while I was pulled off to the “side” of the road in a dead stop on a narrow rear end Italian street. It started again, I got it to a safer place and waited for the tow truck. gently caress jeeps in their asses.

Not surprised it’s bad. The Renegade is just a rebadged Fiat 500X.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I had a rental Civic Sport from Budget for a few days. Other than costing way too loving much, it was pretty ncie for an "economy" car. Had some sort of automatic transmission with paddle shifters which shifted pretty quickly and smoothly. I couldn't really test the power and handling properly since I was mostly driving on the highways and I didn't want to mess with American cops. I did get just about 40mpg which is about what I can get in my tincan GD Fit so that's pretty good.

Android Auto worked well but annoyingly would have to be restarted whenever you staretd the engine. So I set up navigation when the engine is shut down, pressed the Start Engine button, and AA would restart. It was also a sedan and I ddin't find a way to fold down the rear seats which is dumb.

E: the Start/stop button can gently caress off though. What a pain in the rear end to get it to the state you want (on/acc/start). I'm sure there's a method to this madness but it seemed to do the wrong thing at least 50% of the time.

if you drove Boston-Montreal only on highways you did yourself a disservice in terms of fun driving roads.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you drove Boston-Montreal only on highways you did yourself a disservice in terms of fun driving roads.
I know, but I barely made it on time even as-is. There was a section through NH that was off-highway but it was like 35mph so not that fun.

To add to the Civic: adaptive cruise and lane keep assistance is great for this exact type of driving. Not exactly autopilot but good to have as a backup on long drives like this.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rental-tangential commentary about the stupidity of having features buried in the HUD instead of physical buttons:

My in-laws spend a few months in Florida each winter and this time they had a rental Chrysler 300. It's a 300, it's comfy (though harder to get into than I expected. I'm 6'3" which is tall but not tall compared to other AI members like the 8' tall Powershift, etc) but it demonstrated how stupid having controls buried in the UI is because my in-laws had the thing for two months without knowing it had cooled seats until I played around with the HUD system and found them.

What a stupid design, especially as a rental, that the intended audience didn't know about a critical feature if frigging Florida until someone dug it out for them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not my rental but I saw a rental minivan last week that had a big sticker on the sliding door to let people know it had a foot sensor to open it. Also a giant warning sticker on the rear hatch that said "DANGER STAND BACK. DOOR OPENS AUTOMATICALLY "

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Rental-tangential commentary about the stupidity of having features buried in the HUD instead of physical buttons:

My in-laws spend a few months in Florida each winter and this time they had a rental Chrysler 300. It's a 300, it's comfy (though harder to get into than I expected. I'm 6'3" which is tall but not tall compared to other AI members like the 8' tall Powershift, etc) but it demonstrated how stupid having controls buried in the UI is because my in-laws had the thing for two months without knowing it had cooled seats until I played around with the HUD system and found them.

What a stupid design, especially as a rental, that the intended audience didn't know about a critical feature if frigging Florida until someone dug it out for them.

This Civic had most everything you'd expect on various buttons and dials... except the HVAC vents. I was really confused and kept looking where the toggles were hidden until a few days in I realized that this wasn't a 20 year old car like I'm used to driving and it was probably somewhere in the infotainment system, as indeed it was. Not my favorite choice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

Jeep renegade.

Speaking of FCA Jeep/Fiat hybrids, I ended up with a 2020 Cherokee for a rental for the last week. Was surprised that it was a Trailhawk (upmarket offroad trim) because I wouldn't have figured that for a rental spec.

The entirety of "good" about it is the interior and chassis tuning - the seats are comfy and the suspension is reasonably compliant, which was mostly made obvious when I got back home and the first expansion joint in the airport parking garage got an "oof" out of me.

Everything else is poo poo. Rental-specific, despite only 17k miles, the driver's window mechanism is already trying to die and the alignment is jacked up. Small pull to the left, darty as hell on the highway.

Designed-in poo poo, hooboy. The Firestone all-terrain tires howl louder than the BFG KO2s I had on my TJ, and almost as loud as the Cooper Evo MTs I have on it now. The 3.2L Pentastar makes more noise than power. Even paired up with a nine-speed transmission, it doesn't feel any quicker to accelerate than my Canyon. Admittedly the Canyon has all the torques thanks to being a diesel, but it weighs more, has three fewer gears, and should have worse aero. It also manages to only make in the ballpark of 21-24MPG on a three hour 65-70MPH highway drive between Chicago and Indianapolis. UConnect insists on putting Android Auto inside some letterboxed bullshit so you have redundant information all over the screen.

The transmission is the biggest turd of all. ZF 9-speed with godawful Chrysler programming. It has auto stop/start but if you are too quick to hit the gas after lifting your foot, it launches like a kid learning to drive stick by smoking the clutch. The transition between reverse and drive is slow. It never seems to be in the right gear. If you give it full throttle to make the loving thing move, it will slam into what it thinks is the right gear - if the shift was any harder it'd be chirping tires.

Ultimately for a rental it was fine enough because hey, the passengers just thought it was comfy. But I'd take just about every previous rental car I've had over this one.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dodge ICE stuff is always poo poo. I had a rental Dodge van once.. and I gave up trying to use it pairing was complex, the menus sucked etc etc etc. if I recall the password was not displayed on screen they'd only say it out loud with a voice prompt.. you could only pair with voice commands as well but I may be mistaken.

The vehicle sucked as well, loud as gently caress, scary to drive in the snow (My Sienna with balding tires fared better). The only vehicle I have legit been scared to drive in the snow.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 2, 2022

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I've not had trouble with FCA stuff. The infotainment in my Alfa is quite good for what it is.

I had a rental Kia Rio. It was meh, the shifter wouldn't engage reverse some times even if it gave the loud "you're now in reverse" beep.

The whole experience was marred by the fact it had studded snow tires in the middle of May so it didn't get much use as it was illegal-ish to drive and super embarrassing.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Rating my rental (and also the rental agency)

Finally getting back to my normal spring trip going to fly-ins in a couple of states. I was going to be traveling for just over 3 weeks and was (almost) prepared to spend the $1800+ for a rental over that time period when I discovered Kyte. They are a VC-funded, "decentralized" rental agency. Rather than you traveling to their lot, etc. they handle the entire rental process online at which point they deliver the car to the location of your choosing. They only service a few large metropolitan areas, but as luck would have it Miami was on the list so I went for it.

Cost for the three weeks was just over $700.

Pickup was not difficult though I certainly couldn't call it convenient. Kyte specifically does not directly service airport locations for dropoff or pickup (and thereby does not have to charge the airport's BS facility fee). As I'd flown into the Miami airport the nearest pickup option was from the parking lot of the adjoining Tri-Rail station, which was approximately a 15-minute walk away.

Their service is very picky regarding pickup and dropoff times. Their delivery drivers are only allowed a 5-minute wait period after your selected time, after which time something happens. (they leave? additional fees? Unsure.) In my case I'd allowed sufficient time so I got to the pickup location shortly before the driver did. Upon his arrival he checked my license andtook a set of "before" photos to document the car's condition. I then "signed" the rental agreement using the app on his phone. at which point he handed over the keys, pulled a folding ebike from the trunk and headed off to what I assume was his next delivery.

The car in question was a brand-new (4400 miles on the odo!) 2022 Camry XSE. Definitely not a stripper model - had every feature besides navigation. 4-cyl engine, 8-speed transmission. I particularly liked its radar-assisted cruise control along with its lane-centering feature. Really the only complaint I had was with the centering feature in that it doesn't quite understand how to smoothly negotiate curved roadways and tended to oscillate slightly. I did discover a tuning feature in the menu system but never took the time to experiment with it.

I put a little over 3200 miles on the car on this trip. Other than my complaint about the lane-keep getting wiggly in curves everything else went great.

Dropoff went just about as well as the pickup. I did end up cutting it tight time wise as I hadn't quite factored in the incredible amount of traffic on I95 through Miami. Got there after the driver did and only had ~2 minutes to spare!

All in all a good experience. Will definitely consider their service on other trips.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I have a 21 Camry SE.

It's a car. It's fine I guess.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The transition between reverse and drive is slow.
I had an explorer a few weeks ago that would take around 5 seconds to make the switch, I think it had a 10 speed in it. Long enough shifts you think it's not going to and suddenly you're in gear.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
A bit sketchy at 200kph, but I didn't think it would do it either, so.

Surprisingly decent manual.
Also, usb-c only for android auto and I didn't have a usb-c to usb-c cable (only c to a). Built in navigation system was ok, but some of the listings of speed limits where a bit off.
I was supposed to have a golf and would have preferred it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Got upgraded into a qx-80 in Reno last week.

V-8 power made for easy hill climbs but returned abysmal 15 mpg. 6+ dollar a gallon gas hurt my wallet bad.

Thin door skins made it sound like you were opening the door to a Sentra and not a 60k+ luxury vehicle.

Tons of room for the first and second room passengers and gently caress all else for the poor bastards in the 3rd row. Almost no cargo space with the 3rd row seats up either.

No wireless CarPlay. Factory navigation was pretty bad too. Wired CarPlay worked great and charged your phone when the car was off.

Good visibility outside for such a huge vehicle.

Active cruise was very aggressive in both acceleration and deceleration. Can't really turn it off either.

Scattershot buttons for things all over the cabin. Seat heater controls were by the hvac stack but heated steering wheel was down by where you'd push a button to open the rear hatch.

Pretty mixed bag overall. Big, quiet and fairly luxurious suv that handled and braked pretty ok. Real impressed by how well you could see out of it, but it always felt like Nissan was checking boxes without really figuring out how it all worked together. Ugly as all hell too. C+

About 2 years ago I got a suburban for our ski holiday and that was far better. Way harder to see out of though

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, active cruise control is pretty great but every system I've dealt with needs to take a chill pill when it comes to rates. It's too simple to operate, in some respect. Like, yeah, in general I prefer a moderate following distance, and I can select that. But if there's a temporary slow-down, I'm okay with not slamming on the brakes to maintain exactly that following distance immediately. You should be able to select a minimum distance and a preferred distance, and then if someone slows down in front of you, it uses that difference to ease into the new speed before aggressive braking.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So I’m test driving a 3.0 Supra, and between it and my previous 2014 C4S, it’s just about convinced me that 400hp is just pointless on public roads in the US - and what’s worse: no fun

The Supra is very competent; comfy on the Interstate, unlimited grip, the straight-six sounds good, the ZF8 is buttery.

But it’s too fast, and not enough drama. You get mild excitement somewhere around 2x the speed limit, which is not sustainable for obvious reasons.

I had the same problem with the C4S, but at least that was a manual. Even there, I actually thought in the end I should have gone for a C4. The 3.0 Supra confirms that hunch, at least for me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Here are some notes on a 2020 Toyota Camry SE that I had as a rental last week:
  • Really efficient. Returned 39 MPG over 570 miles of driving, and indicated 41 MPG at 75 MPH cruise. 5 years ago you'd have to drive a gutless Corolla to get a non-hybrid this efficient.
  • Powertrain doesn't make any performance or drivability sacrifices for efficiency in normal operation. Throttle tip-in is especially aggressive.
  • Soft ride quality overall, though small impacts are more present than I'd like in the cabin. Steering is light.
  • Competent on a backroad, but still not fun. Does not feel nimble, and the powertrain is not eager.
  • Good interior UX, and great visibility for a modern car. Seats are flat and wide. The A/C is icebox cold.
  • Cheap interior. The interior materials felt like they were selected for their low cost, and how easy they were to clean. There was always something rattling in the interior when I was driving. The stereo was so bad I thought something was broken when I first played music. CarPlay took about 30 seconds after start-up to be ready whereas it's ready after a few seconds in my Mazda. Honda and Kia do better jobs at making their base-trim cars not feel so cheap.
The Camry is an easy car to live with that doesn't do anything seriously wrong. I'd say the Camry is the 2nd best car in the class today after the Accord, given the Hyundai/Kia dealer experience, and the sketchy reliability of Hyundai's modern 4-cylinder engines.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have a Bronco Sport OUTER BANKS EDITION as a rental car and I gotta be honest, I don't hate it. The interior is fairly nice - some very cheap components let it down, but it's got a clear identity and style and feels intentional. Lots of handy storage pockets, brown seats with gray heather cloth accents, and copper colored plastic accents make it a more interesting car. I kind of like the exterior styling and it seems to be quite popular with regular people.

Driving experience is like what if we had an Escape, but truckier, which is not terrible. It handles OK though you feel the size/mass in corners. The engine and transmission work well and seem better implemented than on the Escape, although fuel economy is worse. I think this must be the 2.0 245hp model as it gets out of its way pretty welll. It reminds me a bit of the Element, only modern (and without the hose-out interior).

It actually makes me even more interested in the gas-powered AWD Maverick.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I had a Kia Sportage this week and broke my no Kia rule, there weren't many cars left at MSY by the time I got in so I took it. It had poor legroom and lovely tires but at least had the power to get to highway speeds easily enough.

LOUD, it was so loud going across the causeway I thought I'd need to wear hearing protection, I feel like I've been in race cars and old trucks with less interior noise. It got me where I was going and back but I was glad to get rid of it. It had kinda lovely gas mileage too, barely broke 25 on the mostly highway trip I used it for.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

morothar posted:

So I’m test driving a 3.0 Supra, and between it and my previous 2014 C4S, it’s just about convinced me that 400hp is just pointless on public roads in the US - and what’s worse: no fun

The Supra is very competent; comfy on the Interstate, unlimited grip, the straight-six sounds good, the ZF8 is buttery.

But it’s too fast, and not enough drama. You get mild excitement somewhere around 2x the speed limit, which is not sustainable for obvious reasons.

I had the same problem with the C4S, but at least that was a manual. Even there, I actually thought in the end I should have gone for a C4. The 3.0 Supra confirms that hunch, at least for me.

It might be worth trying one of the twins (86/BRZ). They aren't fast, but they are incredibly fun to drive. Plus you'll save money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I was gonna post a full length review here! that was Initial Driving Impressions!!!

Driving Dynamics
It's a Ford Escape with a lot more mass up high. It handles better than it ought to, but you feel that tall mass in turns. It will start to understeer pretty quickly but it doesn't feel all that upset about it, it just pushes a little wide. It handles lovely Michigan freeway well, you know what's going on with the road but it's fairly well isolated and controlled. Not a lot of road noise. The steering is linear and responds well to inputs but does not provide much feedback. It basically just drives like a Fat Escape, which is not a bad thing.

Powertrain
This is the 1.5L Ecoboost triple and 8 speed auto. The triple makes an interesting noise, it's a bit grumbly. It makes about 180hp and 190 lb-ft; it is a nice match for the car. No issues accelerating at highway speeds, it will kick down quickly and there's plenty of power available. Will occasionally hunt for a gear at low speed transitioning from coast to throttle, but pretty minor overall. Powertrain is much better integrated than in the Escape I drove recently. Has driving modes - sport holds gears longer etc but I can't figure out anything else and it seems pretty gimmicky.

Returning about 28mpg, substantially highway driving at about 80 mph in Michigan in a shoebox.

Interior
The interior is purposefully designed. Some decisions seem odd but fundamentally it's a coherent place to be even if you aren't in to the RUGGED LIFESTYLE VEHICLE vibez. Control scheme is entirely straightforward Ford stuff. Nothing weird, easy to figure out. Wireless charging is convenient, as well as a 110v AC outlet in back. Carplay etc is standard, don't know about wireless but there are A and C USB ports. The instrument panel is highly vertical and mounted low. This gives the visual illusion that the panel is tilted forward at the top, which sucks. Same problem in the Escape. I have gotten somewhat adjusted to it.

There are some nice materials including a good leather wrap on the steering wheel and grippy rubber on climate control knobs and the shifter knob. The dash pad is an interesting textured cloth, and the seats have pleasant heather gray inserts to go along with the brown leather and look very sharp. Plastic trim is a dark bronze/copper color that is different; I really like it. There is a surprising lack of wind and cabin noise at speed and the mirrors are nice and large, although the center high mount has a weird field of vision.

All of the storage areas have grippy rubberized mats in them, and there are a lot of them with good access. The grippy rubberized theme continues throughout - the rear storage area has a rubberized surface, as do the seatbacks for when you fold them down, which is a nice touch.

Unfortunately, the interior is let down by some lousy materials. The interior door handles feel like they were made out of recycled yogurt containers. The control stalks feel flimsy and cheap and have horrible seams. The metallic trim on the front passenger's side window switch in the driver's cluster is delaminating and is sharp. (This is weird, second car I've had an issue like this - Mazda3 EPB switch as well). The door handles and control stalks in particular stand out on a nearly $40K car, they wouldn't really be acceptable on a Focus.

Exterior
This is probably the high point of the vehicle. It has unique styling that IMO looks good and purposeful. The contrasting roof really works and along with the C pillars hide a lot of visual mass and make the car look pretty small (to be fair, it's only 173" long). Good color availability; I have a metallic reddish-orange that pops. The lights are distinctive at night. It is very much a vehicle that will not be mistaken for anything else even by random people other than maybe a full fat Bronco (lmao).

The white BRONCO outer banks edition text looks kind of wacky with this color scheme. That's probably my only complaint. And the rear glass wiper is both off center and loving tiny, a wiper for ants.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry about that! I didn't want good rental info to stay buried in another thread. :cheerdoge:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

morothar posted:

it’s just about convinced me that 400hp is just pointless on public roads in the US - and what’s worse: no fun
Thanks for confirming the second half of the old saying I heard long ago: It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I have plenty of experience with the first half, I autocrossed a 3rd-gen Prelude, bone stock, for a while and I had a blast. But nobody has ever entrusted me with the keys to something legitimately fast, something easily capable of doubling a freeway speed limit with room to spare. Fast car fast - sure, I expect that's amazing. Slow car slow - whatever, who cares.

I'd never seen so succinct a confirmation that fast car slow is no fun.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’ve been in some seriously fast stuff and the excitement comes from a GTA-style accounting of all the serious traffic law violations you’ve been committing, rather than actual driving excitement. Sometimes when I’m driving something slow and see a police officer, I deeply panic until I realize I’m not actually breaking the law (much).

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I’ve been in some seriously fast stuff and the excitement comes from a GTA-style accounting of all the serious traffic law violations you’ve been committing, rather than actual driving excitement. Sometimes when I’m driving something slow and see a police officer, I deeply panic until I realize I’m not actually breaking the law (much).
I'll always panic a little when I see the police, a habit I picked up when I got my licence.

The second fastest car I've been in I picked up at Hertz, the hardest thing was keeping it slow and close to legal.

I kinda miss this time in 2020 for the part where you could rent anything for the cost of a full size.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

It might be worth trying one of the twins (86/BRZ). They aren't fast, but they are incredibly fun to drive. Plus you'll save money.

So I did drive a 2022 BRZ last week. It’s certainly better than the Supra 3.0 in terms of fun. Bit wall flowery at first, but it got better the more often I drove it (had it for 24 hrs).

My random thoughts are that’s it’s still a tad too slow, but manageable. Albeit it’s supposed to be even slower as AT, which is a must. It’s very purpose-built I n that it’s kinda pound and unrefined in the cabin, and actually reminded me of my Exige in that way: the interior is functional, but boy does it feel like it’s right from the early 00s.
Not sure I understand the praise for the MT though; compared to a 987.1 or 991.1, it’s janky, and frankly a bit shite.

So the BRZ ended up my favorite, but my wife was comparing it unfavorably to the 987.1 we used to have back in 2009-2016. And so I go back to FB and check if there’s a 987.2 for sale this week - nope. I check CL and lo and behold, there’s a 2009 987.2 base with PDK for sale for $30K.

So we go ahead and test drive the Cayman, and it’s, to put it mildly, in a different league from the BRZ.
It’s faster, more quiet, has a nicer interior; it just feels well-built. It’s also familiar and exactly the way we remember it (except for the PDK). And so, now we’re getting a PPI done on Thursday. Though it looks good enough on paper and in the metal that I’ve been tempted to waive it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Porche>Subaru isn't exactly the most shocking thing I've read today.

The big deal about the BRZ coming in a manual is that it's a cheap(ish) car that still comes with a manual, which are getting harder and harder to find in a new car.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

Porche>Subaru isn't exactly the most shocking thing I've read today.

The big deal about the BRZ coming in a manual is that it's a cheap(ish) car that still comes with a manual, which are getting harder and harder to find in a new car.

13 year old Porsche >>> new Subaru is actually mildly shocking to me

We’re talking about a car that’s two generations old, that’s better than a freshly-minted car, and that you can buy at a price that leaves room for maintenance and even repair costs.

A new BRZ AT limited runs about $33K, and that’s without dealer markups.

EDIT:
VVV Because the requirement is for the sports car to be AT, so my wife can drive it, too

morothar fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 16, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why are you even considering buying an automatic BRZ

used cars being better value than new cars is also not a particularly shocking revelation

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I rented a 718 Boxster in Spain the last couple of weeks. My original reservation was for a Z4, I had considered the Boxster but it was nearly twice as much. The car checkout woman offered the upgrade initially for €150 more per day (er, no) and eventually offered it for €30 extra which was much more appealing.

It was a brand new base model 2.0 718 in GT silver with PDK dual clutch transmission and red soft top, 1600km on the clock. It was a slightly weird spec, if you're not familiar with Porsche options there are a million different things you can choose, some kinda necessary and many very much unnecessary, generally ridiculously priced. I had a look on the Spanish website and what I think is the total spec came to €88k, €17k in options which is a bit much. http://www.porsche-code.com/PPXR59H2

Key things it had were the PDK (€3k) Sport Chrono (€2.5k), which adds a useless clock but importantly adds a drive mode selector, black painted 20in wheels (€4k), leather sports seats (2k), multi zone air con (€870), LED headlights (€2.2k), 64L fuel tank, reversing camera (€1.7k), cruise control, heated seats (!). Possibly it may have had the -10mm lowered suspension as it was very firm, though I don't have much of a way of knowing.

Things it did not include were, unforgivably: navigation, Carplay, upgraded Bose stereo.

The trip was in Andalusia which is the southern region of Spain, really a wonderful place and worth a trip. Our route was from Malaga where we picked up the car, to Monachil near Granada, then to Ronda, Seville, Cadiz and finally back to Malaga. September is a good time to go as it's very hot in July/August. As it was we saw temperatures over 38C around Seville.

The car is in general wonderful to drive though I do have some reservations. This is a 2.0 turbo engine and of course needs the boost to actually develop decent power. I think a key problem is the PDK programming doesn't match the car that well, the standard "drive" mode is basically an Eco mode, selecting as high a gear as possible and cutting the engine completely even before you're at a full stop. Sport mode is better at choosing an appropriate gear, but I found myself switching between D and S continually rather than being able to let it select the right gear on its own (so the Sport Chrono is essential with the PDK). It's reasonably quick in the right gear but I did find the PDK annoying, worse even than the DCT in my old Audi. Maybe I would get used to it if I owned it.

Having said that, the car is beautifully balanced and with nice, precise steering without being overly fidgety. on country roads it's just a pleasure whether you're going fast or just cruising. It's just so predictable you can easily have fun without feeling at all like it will get out of hand. It's also still a pretty small car and was fine to thread through tiny Spanish streets.

Practicality is surprisingly good with the big front and small rear trunks, it took 2 cabin hard cases, a backpack and a small holdall easily. Storage in the cabin is a bit poo poo though, the door pockets are too small for a bottle of water and nowhere else to put anything.

Seats were super comfortable even though they weren't the (even more expensive) 18-way adjustable ones. The interior is looking a bit dated now compared to the 911 and Taycan interiors, though I guess the point of the 718 models is to be a bit spartan compared to the 911. I thought the stereo was really pretty bad, just inaudible if you're going at any speed at all, and no navigation of any kind is just ridiculous for a car this expensive.

Overall it's really a great car but I would definitely get the manual transmission with the 2.0L, and make a load of other changes to the spec. Really I would want the GTS 4.0L model, but that then brings the car price close to a 911 Carrera and I would find a way to get that.

I'll update with a couple of pics.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I rented a 718 Boxster in Spain the last couple of weeks. My original reservation was for a Z4, I had considered the Boxster but it was nearly twice as much. The car checkout woman offered the upgrade initially for €150 more per day (er, no) and eventually offered it for €30 extra which was much more appealing.

It was a brand new base model 2.0 718 in GT silver with PDK dual clutch transmission and red soft top, 1600km on the clock. It was a slightly weird spec, if you're not familiar with Porsche options there are a million different things you can choose, some kinda necessary and many very much unnecessary, generally ridiculously priced. I had a look on the Spanish website and what I think is the total spec came to €88k, €17k in options which is a bit much. http://www.porsche-code.com/PPXR59H2

Key things it had were the PDK (€3k) Sport Chrono (€2.5k), which adds a useless clock but importantly adds a drive mode selector, black painted 20in wheels (€4k), leather sports seats (2k), multi zone air con (€870), LED headlights (€2.2k), 64L fuel tank, reversing camera (€1.7k), cruise control, heated seats (!). Possibly it may have had the -10mm lowered suspension as it was very firm, though I don't have much of a way of knowing.

Things it did not include were, unforgivably: navigation, Carplay, upgraded Bose stereo.

The trip was in Andalusia which is the southern region of Spain, really a wonderful place and worth a trip. Our route was from Malaga where we picked up the car, to Monachil near Granada, then to Ronda, Seville, Cadiz and finally back to Malaga. September is a good time to go as it's very hot in July/August. As it was we saw temperatures over 38C around Seville.

The car is in general wonderful to drive though I do have some reservations. This is a 2.0 turbo engine and of course needs the boost to actually develop decent power. I think a key problem is the PDK programming doesn't match the car that well, the standard "drive" mode is basically an Eco mode, selecting as high a gear as possible and cutting the engine completely even before you're at a full stop. Sport mode is better at choosing an appropriate gear, but I found myself switching between D and S continually rather than being able to let it select the right gear on its own (so the Sport Chrono is essential with the PDK). It's reasonably quick in the right gear but I did find the PDK annoying, worse even than the DCT in my old Audi. Maybe I would get used to it if I owned it.

Having said that, the car is beautifully balanced and with nice, precise steering without being overly fidgety. on country roads it's just a pleasure whether you're going fast or just cruising. It's just so predictable you can easily have fun without feeling at all like it will get out of hand. It's also still a pretty small car and was fine to thread through tiny Spanish streets.

Practicality is surprisingly good with the big front and small rear trunks, it took 2 cabin hard cases, a backpack and a small holdall easily. Storage in the cabin is a bit poo poo though, the door pockets are too small for a bottle of water and nowhere else to put anything.

Seats were super comfortable even though they weren't the (even more expensive) 18-way adjustable ones. The interior is looking a bit dated now compared to the 911 and Taycan interiors, though I guess the point of the 718 models is to be a bit spartan compared to the 911. I thought the stereo was really pretty bad, just inaudible if you're going at any speed at all, and no navigation of any kind is just ridiculous for a car this expensive.

Overall it's really a great car but I would definitely get the manual transmission with the 2.0L, and make a load of other changes to the spec. Really I would want the GTS 4.0L model, but that then brings the car price close to a 911 Carrera and I would find a way to get that.

I'll update with a couple of pics.

In my experience with my recently acquired 2009 987 with PDK, manual shift mode is the way to go. Unlike slushboxes, the PDK manual mode is actually fantastic. Seems like you didn’t try that out much?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I did use it on some twisty roads and yes it works instantly. And of course easy to switch the lever left into manual mode when you want to get the gears exactly right. At that point if you're getting a new car (which was the perspective I was trying to take) you may as well have saved €2.5k and got the manual.

I do also think it would be better with a bigger/NA engine that's a bit less sensitive to being in exactly the right gear. Though the way the D mode always tries to get into 7th would still be annoying.

Possibly I am a bit spoilt as my daily is electric (Taycan 4S) and so gears are not really an issue as it only has 2.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I did use it on some twisty roads and yes it works instantly. And of course easy to switch the lever left into manual mode when you want to get the gears exactly right. At that point if you're getting a new car (which was the perspective I was trying to take) you may as well have saved €2.5k and got the manual.

I do also think it would be better with a bigger/NA engine that's a bit less sensitive to being in exactly the right gear. Though the way the D mode always tries to get into 7th would still be annoying.

Possibly I am a bit spoilt as my daily is electric (Taycan 4S) and so gears are not really an issue as it only has 2.

I can see what you’re saying, but I gotta say I’m enjoying ‘driving a manual without a clutch’, as most of my driving is within city limits on childcare or shopping runs. And the PDK does a good job of satisfying my need to shift, without bothering me with a clutch in traffic.
I was particular impressed that it lets you start off slow from a complete stop, or that it revs the engine to 4000 rpm if you step on it so that you may actually see some hp.

As to the engine, all Caymans/Boxters I drove across every generation are sensitive to rpm. 987s basically have 120-150hp under 4200 rpm; 718s need what, 2500 for the turbo to kick in?
Coming from a C4S, you absolutely feel the difference in displacement.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
2 cars in this one

Flew to flagstaff AZ to see Grand Canyon, Mesa verde, Ouray, then drive home.
Reserved a Mazda CX-5… Avis gave us a Chevy Spark. Lol. Barely get 3 people and luggage in it.
Now, I knew performance would be down compared to DD (polestar 2), but holy cannoli.
Dangerously slow, I was able to floor it multiple times during the hour we had it, grocery shopping and returning to airport to get a 2022 Passat R-Line.
The Passat R line is a little faster but still I’ve forgotten what it’s like to plan ahead when pulling out into traffic.
Handles ok, but very slow off the line. 18 buttons on the steering wheel! Tiny, fuzzy screen!
No power seats, no ACC, steering feel ok, steering wheel is pretty comfy but too thin.
Engine has the auto stop to save gas which I find very annoying even though it works pretty well.
42 mpg so that is pretty good.
Has faux exhaust ports in rear bumper but exhaust is actually single and exits under car.
More cup holders than polestar, also the spark has more cup holders than polestar.
Sssslllooooowwwww to unlock doors, and no proximity so always have to use the single to unlock (single also has physical key broken out of it).

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Thinking of renting a car though Turo. However I when you get to the last screen, it prompts you to add insurance, which increases the cost by like 50%. Feels like a bait and switch, and my credit card primary insurance won’t protect me with Turo. What is the risk here if I don’t buy Turo’s insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Thinking of renting a car though Turo. However I when you get to the last screen, it prompts you to add insurance, which increases the cost by like 50%. Feels like a bait and switch, and my credit card primary insurance won’t protect me with Turo. What is the risk here if I don’t buy Turo’s insurance?

Don't rent through Turo without the supplemental insurance. I cannot stress this point enough.