Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm finally getting back into Farmer Against Potatoes Idle after putting it down for a few weeks-ish.

I just unlocked Ascension but I'm a few hundred levels shy after reincarnating (2621/3000). I forget - what should I be doing right now? I have the first seven challenges done, and I have like 33 cows.

E: basically obliterated Challenge 8 so that's done now too.

Getting as much residue as you can. I dropped it because every time it felt like I caught wind and found a new feature it immediately ground to a halt again. It might be a good game after a few more passes but right now only the first 2-3 weeks are solid from what I saw. I also think there's something here for some people.

It's a long commitment game if the updates aren't meshing with you it's only going to get worse. If you like the updates then this one is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

pixaal posted:

Getting as much residue as you can. I dropped it because every time it felt like I caught wind and found a new feature it immediately ground to a halt again. It might be a good game after a few more passes but right now only the first 2-3 weeks are solid from what I saw. I also think there's something here for some people.

It's a long commitment game if the updates aren't meshing with you it's only going to get worse. If you like the updates then this one is for you.

Alright, how do I best farm residue?

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I've been passively farming Helium in Trimps, and the crawl from 30mil to 216mil was a real slog. It wasn't involving, it was just taking a long time. I wasn't using Autotrimps too, just whatever automation is possible after getting unlocks in game.

Appreciate all the tips I got in the thread too, as those sped things up.

Anyway, right now I'm getting ~17 - 18mil from a single run of lv 190 and it's not taking that long. Previous challenges give more helium per hour, but longer, slightly less efficient runs fit better with the amount of time I have. I got to zone ~203, but I wasn't pushing it yet, I'll try to maybe use the overnight run from today to do that. I did attempt the spire though and managed to get first 4 rows there, which seemed like a considerable boost with the new perks. I really like the activity, fits great with the theme of the game.

I also got ~230% boost from misc challenge^2's so that helped quite good.

It feels like this pace of the game now, even though slow is more of how the game was meant to be played but maybe I'm saying this because the previous two weeks felt like crawling in tar.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 17, 2022

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Alright, how do I best farm residue?

Shift your tree to only residue nodes from the 3k class trees (probably 2 or 3?) and as many +reinc nodes as you can (probably 8+?) and that's basically it. Ensure you've got +reinc gear enhanced as much as you can and 2-3 longish runs should get you there.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Someone said they had made a script for the whack game in FAPI? I've been trying but apparently I'm poo poo at AHK stuff anymore.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Oh that would be nice.

I have tried googling it but not found anything.

Doesn't look like it should be too hard for someone that knows how to code those scrips, you "scan" 25 areas and if they are green mouseclick next to it (?)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Whatever happened to Orb of Creation? There hasn't been an update since July and it has just been minor patches since the Steam release.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Slickdrac posted:

Someone said they had made a script for the whack game in FAPI? I've been trying but apparently I'm poo poo at AHK stuff anymore.

There's an upgrade might require first ascending that automates it. I think it's 10k souls.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

Whatever happened to Orb of Creation? There hasn't been an update since July and it has just been minor patches since the Steam release.

Deki posted:

A devlog came out a little under a month ago, it looks like the next update will wildly shake up the current game if not require a full reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X-x99JeljU

I can't blame Marple too much for the development going slowly, it's really, really easy to lose momentum on a project like this when you have a full time job. especially when the changes are adding big new mechanics to what is a relatively complicated game compared to most idles.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ideally the game sales could cover a full time job but I don't see that happen for most idle games.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

pixaal posted:

There's an upgrade might require first ascending that automates it. I think it's 10k souls.

No ascension required but it automates every 15 minutes (instead of every 4 when manual) and gives much less score than manual play

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017

Ineptitude posted:

No ascension required but it automates every 15 minutes (instead of every 4 when manual) and gives much less score than manual play

There's actually a different upgrade in the whack shop that will simulate playing the mini game, in order to capture a new higher score. It starts by hitting one potato per second, and caps at 20 potatoes per second. I think it quickly eclipses the animation speed of the actual potato spawns, at which point it's better than a script.

FAPI definitely should have launched with this feature. Then again, I wouldn't be as thankful for it if I hadn't done the mini game a couple dozen times. At least I had a touch screen laptop to make things easy.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FrickenMoron posted:

Ideally the game sales could cover a full time job but I don't see that happen for most idle games.

Yeah, 5G has been open about NGU being a wild hit, so there's definitely a market, but is it something you quit your job over if you're not already making enough to get by off of? OOC only has the patreon, I believe, and 500$/mo isn't covering anyone's bills.

Also Marple is probably spending a lot more time on it than one would think, I probably put in 15 hours a week on my project on a good week and my rate of progress has been glacial at points. And I'm not reworking major mechanics.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MattDarling posted:

There's actually a different upgrade in the whack shop that will simulate playing the mini game, in order to capture a new higher score. It starts by hitting one potato per second, and caps at 20 potatoes per second. I think it quickly eclipses the animation speed of the actual potato spawns, at which point it's better than a script.

FAPI definitely should have launched with this feature. Then again, I wouldn't be as thankful for it if I hadn't done the mini game a couple dozen times. At least I had a touch screen laptop to make things easy.

Yup this is what I was talking about, it makes a script completely required. I was getting 30 minute long buffs with a 10 minute auto timer had a pretty decent stack and you can use the auto wack to burst buffs since it counts as a free play of the game. If you have 4 per day you can stack up a bunch every day to make sure you have stats, great if you are time limited in play. You don't have to wait for the attack buff or whatever you can just force it (and every other buff). Auto timer is reduced to 10 minutes for me with upgrades too and I think it goes down further still.

I went pretty deep and have decided the game's going against me so I'm cutting it but I'm happy to share what I learned, I think there's people that are going to enjoy it in this thread.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 18, 2022

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ineptitude posted:

Oh that would be nice.

I have tried googling it but not found anything.

Doesn't look like it should be too hard for someone that knows how to code those scrips, you "scan" 25 areas and if they are green mouseclick next to it (?)

I forgot AHK used BGR as the default order for colors :doh:

This is a bit overpowered, but can be slown down by upping the sleep number at the bottom. And may need the search area adjusted depending on your resolution size

code:
#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 3

`::
Toggle := !Toggle
Loop
{
	If (!Toggle)
	{
		Break
	}
	PixelSearch, Px, Py, 385, 295, 985, 785, 0xD1964A, 3, Fast RGB
		if ErrorLevel
	{
	}
	else
	{
		MouseMove, Px, Py, 0
		sleep 25
		Click
		sleep 100
	}
	PixelSearch, Px, Py, 385, 295, 985, 785, 0xFDBF15, 3, Fast RGB
			if ErrorLevel
	{
	}
	else
	{
		MouseMove, Px, Py, 0
		sleep 25
		Click
		sleep 100
	}
	sleep 50
}

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So with the Steam release (maybe) coming, is there actually gonna be an Antimatter Dimensions update? "update in 5 hours" has been a meme for years so I thought they stopped working on it
Might start it again if there's an update

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

So with the Steam release (maybe) coming, is there actually gonna be an Antimatter Dimensions update? "update in 5 hours" has been a meme for years so I thought they stopped working on it
Might start it again if there's an update

Yes, it should have the next major update + all the QoL features they added to the mobile version in the interim.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
What am I even sacrificing in FE0000000?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
*sans walks on screen* that's right. what you were sacrificing, were babies

Pro FE000000 tip: Switch to hex display for numbers. This doesn't affect the game at all obviously but it makes most of the numbers look way prettier, since there are so many powers of two involved.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Note: They mean changed the "base" display to 16 rather than 10. The actual "hex" option in the dropdown, like most of the others, renders everything indecipherable.

What I really want to know is what exactly the "evil" option does though, because it doesn't appear to do anything except double the base and exponent of the requirement to unlock the next prestige layer.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
That's probably what makes it evil then, pretending the unlock will take twice as long as it does. Joke display options are common in these games.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I dont remember any good/evil choices in Fe00000000, did the game get a content update?

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

I dont remember any good/evil choices in Fe00000000, did the game get a content update?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This is a petty complaint but FAPI keeps saying "multiply [stat] by [x]%" when it clearly means (100+x)% and it bugs the poo poo out of me.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Pope Guilty posted:

This is a petty complaint but FAPI keeps saying "multiply [stat] by [x]%" when it clearly means (100+x)% and it bugs the poo poo out of me.

Yeah, after playing Trimps which is fairly clear in its descriptions, I found FAPI kind of annoying in how it describes things. I think the devs may be non-native English speakers, though.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Really not enjoying the Afterlife update for Idle skilling. Thinking of giving Icremental Epic Hero 2 a shot, anyone try it?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Zotix posted:

Really not enjoying the Afterlife update for Idle skilling. Thinking of giving Icremental Epic Hero 2 a shot, anyone try it?

IEH2 is pretty good but the big resets (world ascensions) are pretty dramatic and took the wind out of me after a couple times. It's pretty good, though and fairly unique in a landscape of endless clones.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've played a fair bit of both IEH and IEH2, and I rather like them. IEH2 I find reduced a lot of the tedium from the first game; in particular alchemy is no longer nearly as much of a chore, and there's a lot less you have to do manually upon rebirthing. It also makes class balance a lot better, as physical damage isn't king anymore so you can actually get a lot of use out of wizard. Plus I think it's just better about classes having skills that are actually useful to other classes, like there's a lot more reason for warrior and wizard to intermingle. Plus, there's 3 more classes which gives you more to experiment with.

I think the biggest problem people have with IEH is the cash shop system. You earn the currency for it at a pretty decent clip, but only once your first 4 purchases are used on More Quests and Rarer quests to actually increase the rate you get it at. It's...admittedly pretty off-putting, but IEH2 is at least better at throwing currency at you to make that initial phase go by quicker.

Edit: Oh, also World Ascension! I know people have said it's really slow, but I really appreciate it as a prestige system. A lot of prestige systems are simply "get to x points to prestige" and I really like that World Ascension has like 8 milestones that you're encouraged to go for, which each one giving you both generic WA points but also a specific bonus. It feels like it's really trying to get you to engage with all it's systems.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dodecadragons has had an update to add achievements, some of which give you bonuses when you get them. This includes getting max all and auto-buy probably earlier. (I didn't restart)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It smooths out some of the progression mid-game but man you can tell you've hit a plateau at 5 cyan sigils where it feels like not enough variation in fiddling to make it feel worthwhile investing your time to do so.

EDIT: I guess my main pain point is having to drag back and forth from challenge quadrants to the only button you need to press to progress: Max Fire.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I can see the writing on the wall IRT the whack-a-mole game in FAPI. I can tell that eventually those daily gameplays are going to be way more effective at setting a high score than me and I will do nothing but let the game automatically play itself. But gently caress that takes way too long to get to that point for how annoying the game is to play.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Slickdrac posted:

Here's what I wrote in Python, it gets outpaced by the in-game stuff at some point, but it'll kick butt in the meantime if you can get it to run:
Python code:
import cv2
import numpy
import win32gui, win32ui, win32con
import time
import PIL
import pyautogui

class WindowCapture:

# properties
    w = 0
    h = 0
    hwnd = None
    cropped_x = 0
    cropped_y = 0
    offset_x = 0
    offset_y = 0

# constructor
    def __init__(self, window_name):
        # find the handle for the window we want to capture
        self.hwnd = win32gui.FindWindow(None, window_name)
        if not self.hwnd:
            raise Exception('Window not found: {}'.format(window_name))

print(self.hwnd)
        # get the window size
        window_rect = win32gui.GetWindowRect(self.hwnd)
        self.w = window_rect[2] - window_rect[0]
        self.h = window_rect[3] - window_rect[1]

# account for the window border and titlebar and cut them off
        border_pixels = 8
        titlebar_pixels = 30
        self.w = self.w - (border_pixels * 2)
        self.h = self.h - titlebar_pixels - border_pixels
        self.cropped_x = border_pixels
        self.cropped_y = titlebar_pixels

# set the cropped coordinates offset so we can translate screenshot
        # images into actual screen positions
        self.offset_x = window_rect[0] + self.cropped_x
        self.offset_y = window_rect[1] + self.cropped_y

def get_screenshot(self):
        bbox = win32gui.GetWindowRect(self.hwnd)
        pil_img = PIL.ImageGrab.grab(bbox)
        open_cv_image = numpy.array(pil_img)
        open_cv_image = open_cv_image[:, :, ::-1].copy() 
        return open_cv_image

wincap = WindowCapture('Farmer Against Potatoes Idle')
needle_img = cv2.imread('./potato_face_4.png', cv2.IMREAD_UNCHANGED)

start_time = time.time()
while(True):

loop_time = time.time()
    duration_time = loop_time - start_time
#     print(f"duration: {duration_time}")
    haystack_img = wincap.get_screenshot()
    result = cv2.matchTemplate(haystack_img, needle_img, cv2.TM_CCOEFF_NORMED)
    threshold = 0.5
    min_val, max_val, min_loc, max_loc = cv2.minMaxLoc(result)
    if max_val >= threshold:
        needle_w = needle_img.shape[1]
        needle_h = needle_img.shape[0]
        top_left = max_loc
        bottom_right = (top_left[0] + needle_w, top_left[1] + needle_h)
        cv2.rectangle(haystack_img, top_left, bottom_right, color=(0, 255, 0), thickness=2, lineType=cv2.LINE_4)
        my_font = cv2.FONT_HERSHEY_SIMPLEX
        if max_val > 0.81:
            my_color = (255, 0, 0)
        else:
            my_color = (0, 255, 0)
        center_point = (top_left[0] + needle_w//2, top_left[1] + needle_h//2)
#         print(f"hit: {center_point} {max_val}")
        my_text = str(max_val)
        cv2.putText(haystack_img, my_text, 
                    center_point , my_font, 2, my_color)
        if max_val > 0.81:
            pyautogui.moveTo(center_point)
            pyautogui.click()
            time.sleep(0.05)

cv2.imshow('Result', haystack_img)
#     if (duration_time > 45) or (cv2.waitKey(1) == ord('q')):
    if (cv2.waitKey(1) == ord('q')):
        cv2.destroyAllWindows()
        break
You might want to provide your own file for this line, because resolution matters for the detector. I use 960x540 to give fewer pixels to look at.
pre:
needle_img = cv2.imread('./potato_face_4.png', cv2.IMREAD_UNCHANGED)
This line:
pre:
    threshold = 0.5
is what determines if it draws a box

the two lines like this:
pre:
if max_val > 0.81:
determine if it clicks and the color box drawn.
I've attached my "potato_face_4.png" As you might guess, it took me a few tries to get it working, so it's ok if it takes you a few tries too.

When you run the script, a second window will pop up and draw boxes around what it thinks are matches along with how close it thinks it is.
To exit, click in that box and press 'q'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Kind of tempted to drop FAPI. I know there's at least 2 mechanics coming up that I haven't hit yet (Milk, and whatever happens with the talent tree once you hit whatever class level), but it's just not scratching that itch for my reptile brain where progression feels good.

I'm also very slowly inching towards getting my own idle project to a playable state. If I can get a good amount of work in this weekend I'll basically have every core system/UI piece but the prestige mechanic in, which means I'll have to/get to rip out most of the current game data and start actually adding actual content, which will be fun.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Deki posted:

I'm also very slowly inching towards getting my own idle project to a playable state. If I can get a good amount of work in this weekend I'll basically have every core system/UI piece but the prestige mechanic in, which means I'll have to/get to rip out most of the current game data and start actually adding actual content, which will be fun.

I am eager to have a look at your game!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sage Grimm posted:

It smooths out some of the progression mid-game but man you can tell you've hit a plateau at 5 cyan sigils where it feels like not enough variation in fiddling to make it feel worthwhile investing your time to do so.

EDIT: I guess my main pain point is having to drag back and forth from challenge quadrants to the only button you need to press to progress: Max Fire.

One of the Achievements gives you an auto fire max thing so you dont even have to press it now. It is 20 Cyan Sigils Achievement.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I've now unlocked pink sigils, and at e300,000 gold for 1, I'm a looooong way off at about e120,000 gold a reset. Resets are now only maxing magic upgrades and feeding the dragon, but still that's a huge jump.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought "man this number is infinitely far away" a few times and the solution was always just to get the other sigils and wait a bit more, since dragon feeding increases it automatically relatively fast
Not touching the game again unless it gets some proper prestige layers though instead of endless sigils

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought "man this number is infinitely far away" a few times and the solution was always just to get the other sigils and wait a bit more, since dragon feeding increases it automatically relatively fast
Not touching the game again unless it gets some proper prestige layers though instead of endless sigils

They moved the score gain multiplier to the pink sigil too and now my old score gain is about e200 lower than my max.

I would like to see some more layers too, especially with the achievements making some automation easier too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Trastion posted:

One of the Achievements gives you an auto fire max thing so you dont even have to press it now. It is 20 Cyan Sigils Achievement.

And then you're dragging back and forth from sigil reset to Magic/Dark Magic Max. You can't win!

Well until you've hit pink sigils. And then you're essentially at the end of the current content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
https://louigiverona.com/bananas/bananas_worlds/
This banana game has kind of an interesting prestige system tied together in a challenge system (big prestiges happen when you go down to 0 bananas). Too bad you run out of upgrades before you run out of islands