Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

v1ld posted:

May want to go through my 1 page of post history, I walked all these same paths.

Uh yeah, I may indeed. Thank you! This is super helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm trying to get steamtinkerlaunch to work for me with Vortex so I can mod Cyberpunk a little (I already got CET installed with protontricks). The way that's supposed to work is that I create a Steam Collection called "Vortex" and then it finds a "Vortex.conf" and loads it and I'm off to the races.

When I create a collection, though, Steam always creates it as uppercase ("VORTEX"), regardless of how I type it in the dialog. I have another existing collection names "previous", so at some point I was able to use lowercase letters. That collection was created a) quite a while ago, and b) on Windows, FWIW.

Anyone know how I can do this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trrrriple post. (It looks like Steam always creates uppercase collection names now, BTW.)

How long does it usually take NVIDIA to release new drivers for a new generation? My 4090 causes Linux to lock up pretty hard during boot, so I'll need to figure a way around that to get the updated drivers on there when they're in the channel, of course.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Subjunctive posted:

Trrrriple post. (It looks like Steam always creates uppercase collection names now, BTW.)

How long does it usually take NVIDIA to release new drivers for a new generation? My 4090 causes Linux to lock up pretty hard during boot, so I'll need to figure a way around that to get the updated drivers on there when they're in the channel, of course.

There are already drivers that should support it (520.56.06), whether or not they're available depends on your distro.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Microsoft is bound and determined to force me off of Windows as it continues to remove features and enforce incredibly stupid policies in the name of selling loving OneDrive. DirectX is really the only thing keeping me on Windows at this point.

Around the time Win10 looses support, I'll be re-evaluting my relationship with Windows for the first time in 20 years. In the meantime, I super appreciate the efforts of everyone trying to make gaming on Linux a thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Emong posted:

There are already drivers that should support it (520.56.06), whether or not they're available depends on your distro.

OK, cool. I think those are the beta drivers that came out today, and I didn’t see anything in the version notes about 4090 so I wasn’t sure.

I’ll wait for them to get into the Arch (EndeavourOS?) channels and then rescue boot to put the update through, I guess.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

But will your 4090 break loose from its flimsy PCIe prison and drop through the ground to the center of the earth before the driver comes out? It's going to be close given how chonky they are.

Just kidding, must be exciting to have that much power at your fingertips. Arch has generally had the latest NVidia drivers within a few days in the recent past.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I used an adjustable metal stand that came with the card, hilariously.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Did anybody else's Lutris break with a recent update?

I hadn't played in about two weeks, and today on both my machines all Wine games failed to start. Both have Fedora Silverblue and the Flatpak version of Lutris.

It seems the culprit is Feral GameMode which can't find the wine executable anymore for some reason:

code:
Started initial process 45 from gamemoderun /var/home/nihilcredo/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine /var/home/nihilcredo/Games/battletech/drive_c/GOG Games/BATTLETECH/BattleTech.exe -force-driver-type-warp
Start monitoring process.
env: ‘/var/home/nihilcredo/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine’: No such file or directory
However, running from console `gamemoderun ls {path where wine is}` lists the wine executable just fine. Very strange.

Disabling Feral GameMode in Lutris is a temporary kind-of workaround.

Actually, it wasn't just gamemode. On one of the machines, disabling it solved the problem, but on the other Lutris fails to open wine directly.

Either way, rolling back to the August release fixed it (commit 0d372af91cb278ad20e38c4760f185dbfbb61f6fd359d16c99609f0ace11c74f). Will open a github issue I guess, looks like a packaging problem.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 15, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Hmm i thought the ubisoft launcher was one of the unobtrusive ones but it seems like it no longer closes when you exit a game? Normally this would just be annoying but its loving up big picture on my couch... Is there a way to have it close properly im missing?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Anyone here use DuckStation (standalone)? Is it possible to get it to automatically resize the render window?

Unless I start it in fullscreen, it always renders to a 640x480 window even if I change the internal resolution. I'm looking for something like Dolphin's "Auto-Adjust Window Size" option but I can't find something like that in the settings.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Klyith posted:

Setting a power / watts target is easy, CoreCtrl and Radeon-profile are both GUI apps that can do that. Voltage control requires adding a kernel parameter to unlock, but then the apps can do it.

OTOH IMO setting power targets is generally good enough, particularly if you're trying to undervolt to save power & heat. And nvidia can do that pretty easily too, though it's a cmdline rather than gui app:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/how-to-set-nvidia-gpu-power-limit-nvidia-smi/131467
I know this response is way old but I finally got around to setting a power limit of 180w on my RTX 3070 by doing the following:

sudo nvidia-smi -i 0 -pl 140

I want this setting to remain the same every time I turn on my pc. The thread in the linked quote assumes I know a few more things about linux, which I dont. I need to either create a script that runs at startup that somehow has permissions each time, or I do sudo visudo or something?

I hate to ask for a step by step, but googling is giving me surprisingly few results. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

My first instinct would be to set up a systemd service for it.

Create a file named nvidia-power.service in /etc/systemd/system with these contents:

code:
[Unit]
Description=Set nvidia power limit
After=graphical.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=nvidia-smi -i 0 -pl 140

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
and then run "sudo systemctl enable --now nvidia-power". That should run the nvidia-smi command immediately and every time the system starts. You can run "sudo systemctl status nvidia-power" to check if it's working or if I made a dumb mistake.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I've moved over to linux now, mostly works though I did miss out on the darktide beta because I couldn't get it working.

Now if I could only figure out how to give this photo editing app I run in a bottle access to my pictures folder, I'd be mostly golden.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
There is a big long post in the Darektide subreddit about getting the beta to work
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/y49vcz/guide_to_playing_darktide_beta_on_linux/

Hopefully these issues get ironed out because I'm really excited for the game and while I do have a dual boot I haven't had to use it in months.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Yeah I did get the game to launch but then just got login errors.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
If anyone is playing Vampire Survivors 1.0 (just released today) and was using the public beta to get it to run on Linux, I got the new non-beta version to work by adding this to the launch options: PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

Using GE-Proton7-37 if it helps, someone in a discord channel said maybe it's a race condition and telling the game to log slows it down. :iiam:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What is a good way to play Android games on Steam OS / Arch Linux?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

What's the meaningful and righteous way to play EVE Online on linux nowadays? I don't have any steam account nor I intend to create one. Afaik you can associate your steam account to an EVE account but not the other way around.

So, now that the launcher has been retired, how can you even download the drat thing in the first place?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Kibner posted:

What is a good way to play Android games on Steam OS / Arch Linux?

https://anbox.io/

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Are there any Rust fans in here? Have you figured out how to play on Linux?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

A quick protondb search says it's an anti cheat issue. Sadly when it's anti cheat there are no work arounds.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Armauk posted:

Are there any Rust fans in here? Have you figured out how to play on Linux?

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/10/facepunch-put-out-a-fresh-statement-on-rust-for-steam-deck-linux/

Unlikely.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress snaps.

Is there an option that doesn't use an insane distribution format?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 17, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Check your distro package manager or build it yourself? Arch has it in the AUR.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Any of y'all played Mount & Blade Bannerlord or Elite Dangerous?

Both crash when they load, but the game launchers work fine. I've fiddled with winetricks and protontricks to no avail though I see success stories on reddit etc

Also, What are you currently playing?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
E:D worked ootb and recognised my X52 HOTAS. Too bad the game sucks, though.

Rimworld works really well, and I've been losing lots of hours to my dwarf colony.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I really do hope Steam adds an option to launch mods and companion programs etc inside a game's container soon because the whole container setup they've got going on makes it very difficult right now. The latest problem I ran into occurred after I upgraded to the latest Fedora. The "flatpak run" command that I normally use to enter a running game's child container is crippled all of a sudden and spawns an environment with hardly any environment variables. So you need to manually set DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY for WINE to function (and you need to copy the xauth file to a place where it's visible inside the container, it's some really obscure ancient unix poo poo mixed with newfangled and undocumented Move Fast And Break Stuff container poo poo making a delicious diarrhea smoothie)

Obviously any remotely normal person will just give up, but yeah technically if you're steeped in 1980s unixbeard arcana like X11 authorization then it can be made to work.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sapozhnik posted:

I really do hope Steam adds an option to launch mods and companion programs etc inside a game's container soon because the whole container setup they've got going on makes it very difficult right now. The latest problem I ran into occurred after I upgraded to the latest Fedora. The "flatpak run" command that I normally use to enter a running game's child container is crippled all of a sudden and spawns an environment with hardly any environment variables.

Is this a Steam container problem or a flatpak container problem? 'Cause like, Valve doesn't ship steam as a flatpak container, they ship it as a standard / native program. So I doubt they're gonna solve that when the problem is introduced by someone else repacking it.

(TBQH the whole "windows game runs in a steam-wine container, which is then running in a flatpak container" is a thing I look at like :chloe:)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's a weird situation. Linux Steam always runs Windows games in some sort of container. If you install Steam to your host OS then it uses pressure-vessel, which is their own fork of Flatpak. If you run Steam from the unofficial Flatpak container then Steam detects this and makes a call out to Flatpak over D-Bus to spawn a special kind of child Flatpak container. Either way there is no container nesting because Linux container technologies generally do not let you do that in the first place.

The problem would still exist if Steam was using P-V because containers are still involved, you can't open a terminal and type "wine FlightSimulator.exe" and expect it to work.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

isaboo posted:

Any of y'all played Mount & Blade Bannerlord

What mods are you running? Anything that has its own .dll files is a bitch to get going. Took me several hours of tinkering to get My Little Warband working, for example.

Your best bet is running dotnet478 through Protontricks.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

The problem would still exist if Steam was using P-V because containers are still involved, you can't open a terminal and type "wine FlightSimulator.exe" and expect it to work.

You can(*), but you need to specify the Wine/Proton prefix created by Steam for the game under ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata. There are also various environment variables to set so the easiest way to do this is: protontricks-launch --appid <appid> path/to/exe. That calls Wine/Proton under the hood but with all the magic env variables and arguments needed.

See this post for more on this.

"wine foo.exe" will execute using the default wine prefix which sits under ~/.wine. This default prefix may not have the libraries and any other dependencies your game may require. But if all you want to do is run a windows program, that's a perfectly fine way to do so.

For eg., I was installing mods for Baldur's Gate 2. The WeiDU mod manager needs to execute within the game's folder, but doesn't really care about or need the game's prefix other than for baseline windows libraries as it does all its work locally within that folder. So I just ran those installers as "wine ./setup-STRATAGEMS.exe" instead of bothering with protontricks-launch to run it in the game's prefix.

E: Running Steam native has been simple and very direct. If you're modding most of what's out there for modding on Linux is written for the native Steam client with no wrappers.

(*) Should say this depends on the game of course, but if it's just an exe that needs to be run out of the install folder and using a wine prefix that has the dependencies it expects from Windows then wine or proton from the command line will handle it just fine. The protontricks-launch wrapper makes this pretty easy to use.

E2: Proton's versions of wine can be accessed directly if you want. Here's an example from my shell history of adding VC++ libs to the BG2 prefix that shows how to specify the wine prefix directly:
code:
WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/257350/pfx ./Proton\ 7.0/dist/bin/wine64 ~/Downloads/VC_redist.x64.exe
Steam installs the various versions of Proton next to the games in ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common

Symlinking steamapps to your home directory makes life easier. Not just typing paths, but some windows programs will spawn file dialogs that will not show you hidden folders so being able to navigate into steamapps directly is great.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 22, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was able to play heavily modded Stardew Valley today on PopOS with 0 hitches along the way

year of the linux desktop baby

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I have steam installed flatpak as that was the default pop_os option. I've already got a few games downloaded.

How easy is it to switch to the deb version? Will I need to redownload everything, or is there some way to copy the game files out of the flatpak steam and into the deb?
The only reason I'm considering this is it would make modding stuff easier, I think.

edit: the deb option is the default on pop_os, I am just dumb

Splode fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 24, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah just add a second stream library folder that's outside of flatpak, move your games over in steam. Then re-add the folder on the new install and they just appear.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah just add a second stream library folder that's outside of flatpak, move your games over in steam. Then re-add the folder on the new install and they just appear.

drat, that's easy, thanks!

2022 truly is the year of linux on the desktop

Edit: I am very stupid, I had the deb steam installed this whole time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Will having a AMD gpu on Linux mean I won’t have to deal with stutters when some new texture or effect is displayed? Linux gaming has been such an overwhelming success for me that I think it’s gonna be my main driver (with some 100gb W10 partition for the hypothetical game that doesn’t work with it). I vaguely recall AMD playing a lot better on Linux but I’m not sure how relevant or true that is today

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not really, that’s generally a function of games using UE4 and not of the drivers.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The nvidia proprietary drivers work well providing you're using a distro that has them and keeps them reasonably up to date.

The lovely thing is they're proprietary, not their actual quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buglord posted:

Will having a AMD gpu on Linux mean I won’t have to deal with stutters when some new texture or effect is displayed? Linux gaming has been such an overwhelming success for me that I think it’s gonna be my main driver (with some 100gb W10 partition for the hypothetical game that doesn’t work with it). I vaguely recall AMD playing a lot better on Linux but I’m not sure how relevant or true that is today

I have an AMD GPU and in some games can feel stutters that I either didn't have or were much smaller on Windows. I expect this is a lot more to do with proton or other parts of running a windows game than which GPU you have.

I am normally not particularly sensitive to stutter -- I find most "micro-stutter" to be pretty invisible and almost always use vsync in games even though it has stutter when fps drop below 60. So I guess it's pretty bad if I can notice.

(However, that the worst stutter issues I've experienced have been in Satisfactory, which has performance difficulties even on windows. And it is early access so it's a moving target for any optimization by proton. I had to turn vsync off for that. But TBQH the fact that it works perfectly besides the stutter is kinda impressive.)