Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ilmucche posted:

Since helmets chat is already going on, how did they manage the tradeoff between blind spots and protection that helmets/visors would have?

Like are the roman cavalry helmets ceremonial or actual battle ones? How badly do eye slits as such block your peripheral vision, and is that as much a problem for cavalry who I would assume aren't as worried about attacks coming in from the side as there riding in large formations?

Is there any literature on this?

I don't know if there's an explicit monograph on this that's generally accepted as 'the good one' but it's something that people have absolutely put a ton of thought into and varies over time. Worth noting that peripheral vision was probably less of a concern than hearing; ancient soldiers were not exactly trying to spot snipers or machine gun nests, but they DID have to listen for orders and keep marching pace with drums and such even in combat.

Cavalry helmets its worth noting were actually typically more open than infantry, because staying in formation while riding on horseback is more visual and because a very important role for cavalry is recon. My understanding is that you always bring a helmet if you can afford it, and the more of a 'pure' heavy infantry you're talking about the heavier-duty the helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Helmets are always a matter of tradeoffs - more protection = more weight, impaired hearing, impaired visions and less stamina in a fight due to the weight and being in a hot, enclosed space.

Helmet design will take into account the possible threats the wearer will face while bearing in mind the tradeoffs. A hoplite in a phalanx will have a heavy helmet with a tough faceplate with few gaps, since their biggest threat is getting stabbed in the face with a spear, and they will generally be fighting bunched up in a tight formation so situational awareness is less important. Contrast a late Republic/early Imperial Roman soldier who has a totally open faced helmet but with ear/cheek flaps, which makes sense as they both have a large shield to protect themselves (though so does the hoplite, though used differently) and are expected to fight and maneuver in a more dynamic fashion.

It can't be stressed enough how much having your face covered in combat *sucks*. As such the general trend though history is for open faced helmets, since the loss of situational awareness and general suckiness of a closed face helmet was not considered worth the trade-off. In periods where military technology was such that full face helmets were extremely valuable, such as the Hundred Years War, helmets that covered the face were usually visored or able to worn in such a way that the face went uncovered so that you could spend the majority of the time uncovered then "button up" as needed. Even then, a lot of people just didn't bother, as we can see art where people are wearing helmets such as sallets which often have visors, but in several cases have been removed.

It should be stressed that it's clear that the question of helmet design and protection vs comfort was an ongoing debate through all the periods helmets were in use, especially in the medieval period where metallurgy meant that you had a lot of options with what you could do with armour.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cool, yeah i was wondering how those tradeoffs were handled. for something like gladiatorial fights would they have gone with more visor and face covering then? they'd be staring at 1 opponent so it'd be easier to track? I'm thinking of the like samnite helmet that you see in movies and stuff

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Gladiatorial gear had very different reasoning behind it than anything made for the battlefield. The Secutor's helmet, for example, was purposefully very difficult to see out of with only its two little eye-holes, helping to make the traditional match between the Secutor and Retiarius more even.

I don't think any physical examples survive, but written sources write about Gladiatorial helmets that have no vision at all, for "comedy" matches between two blind opponents.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Gladiator helmets still matched their opponents - secutor helmets had very narrow vision slits as they were paired against the retarius, who had a trident, so face protection was valuable. However as stated there was still a theatrical element so practicality was not the only concern.

It's theorised that a lot of the gladiator gear was based on the opponents Rome faced anyway. A lot of stuff to do with gladiators is speculative anyway as there is not a lot of direct commentary on what the deal with gladiators was, most of what we know is reconstructed piecemeal from mosaics and passing comments in other texts.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

MikeCrotch posted:

Gladiator helmets still matched their opponents - secutor helmets had very narrow vision slits as they were paired against the retarius, who had a trident, so face protection was valuable. However as stated there was still a theatrical element so practicality was not the only concern.

It's theorised that a lot of the gladiator gear was based on the opponents Rome faced anyway. A lot of stuff to do with gladiators is speculative anyway as there is not a lot of direct commentary on what the deal with gladiators was, most of what we know is reconstructed piecemeal from mosaics and passing comments in other texts.

Is it one of those things where everyone knew what it was about, so nobody bothered to write a detailed explanation?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

We do know people loved the fisherman vs fish gimmick match.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tunicate posted:

We do know people loved the fisherman vs fish gimmick match.

What a hook!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did they ever make any progress deciphering the indus valley script?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
IIRC some of the roman gladiatorial gear was just the poo poo they looted from their opponents in battle, and some of the combatants themselves were, too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gladiatorial combat was basically just pro wrestling except slightly more lethal.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Here he is... who could it be?

IT'S ME, COMMODUS :hist101: IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, COMMODUS

aw son of a bitch

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Lawman 0 posted:

Did they ever make any progress deciphering the indus valley script?

Not really. There's been a lot of computational work on that subject in the last 15 years, but it hasn't managed to decipher the script, or even answer some of the basic questions, like what language the script is recording (or if it is recording a language at all). One of the main problems is that the texts are so short. The average length is 5 symbols, and the very longest is 37 symbols. In addition, there are over 400 (the exact number is disputed) different symbols, and only around 4000 total texts. Many of those "texts" are seals that contain only one or two symbols as well, which are of limited use for decipherment since they provide no context to the symbols. That doesn't leave a lot to work with, and no amount of complicated computational linguistics methods have been able to get around these issues. The short length of texts and the large number of unique symbols means many different readings are possible, and its hard to disprove vague ideas. For example, if someone argues that a certain symbol means "cow," and another means "goat" there are no lengthy texts to plug that idea into to see if it makes sense. Most other ancient languages have been deciphered by a process of educated guesses that are then tested against texts to see if the idea works when applied in practice, but that process is impossible with Indus Valley texts, since texts aren't long enough for it to be clear whether a hypothesis for a symbol's reading makes sense or not. Over a hundred different people have made attempts at deciphering the script, but it's very hard to test whether their readings are correct or not. Probably not, since they couldn't meaningful test their ideas in the process of working out a decipherment. The problem may be unsolvable without future discoveries of longer texts (if those ever existed, which they may not have), or a bilingual inscription like the Rosetta Stone (which is theoretically possible, since the Indus valley had regular trade links with Mesopotamia and Elam).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
At least there were still ongoing excavations in China and India, last time I checked. So finding more texts is at least a distinct possibility.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Trouble is most of the sites lie on or near the India-Pakistan border, which is not a terribly conducive place to conduct archaeology due to political tensions.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are there any recorded instances of old soldiers saying that the new helmets are for pussies, and real men fight with their faces exposed? It's a big thing in every sport, with hockey goalies and baseball batters showing a surprising amount of resistance to wearing helmets.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The ones who did likely died much faster and wouldn't be represented as much compared to sports where people aren't intentionally trying to murder each other on purpose.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
They sometimes do a little

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Chamale posted:

Are there any recorded instances of old soldiers saying that the new helmets are for pussies, and real men fight with their faces exposed? It's a big thing in every sport, with hockey goalies and baseball batters showing a surprising amount of resistance to wearing helmets.

I mean, hitting a baseball is already famously one of the hardest things to do in sports, I can see people not wanting to give up even the smallest of advantages in being able to see the ball to hit it. Also the pitcher generally isn't throwing at your head, which helps as far as not getting hit in the face.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chamale posted:

In ancient and Roman periods I'm not sure - a helmet was usually the first piece of armour someone would get since its relatively cheap. Also we just don't have a lot of "ground level" texts of how things worked in that period to the level of people whining about specific bits of armour.

However we do have one very big example of helmets being reintroduced to an army en masse, which is WWI. And in that war there were certainly a whole bunch of people complaining about the "pussification" of soldiers by giving them helmets instead of hats, so I can certainly imagine if there were any major changes to equipment for whatever reason there would be a bunch of of people both high up and on the ground complaining about it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's a struggle to get infantry to put their helmets on at all, good luck trying to make them wear closed ones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Maybe if they install an air conditioner. Imagine wearing a full-face iron can in Mediterranean summer. Roman heavy cavalry were called “clibanarii” by analogy to “clibanus”, a furnace.

(Probably actually a folk etymology attached to a Persian loan word, but still)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

However we do have one very big example of helmets being reintroduced to an army en masse, which is WWI. And in that war there were certainly a whole bunch of people complaining about the "pussification" of soldiers by giving them helmets instead of hats, so I can certainly imagine if there were any major changes to equipment for whatever reason there would be a bunch of of people both high up and on the ground complaining about it.

I'm guessing that the ones making those complaints did not fight in the front lines?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Alhazred posted:

I'm guessing that the ones making those complaints did not fight in the front lines?

In the Soviet army in WWII wearing a helmet was considered cowardly by frontoviks (front line troops). Real soldiers wore a ushanka or a pilotka, like so:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol the "put em in dresses" NFL CTE youtube commentators but for massive head wounds caused by shrapnel. Rub some dirt on it!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Lol the "put em in dresses" NFL CTE youtube commentators but for massive head wounds caused by shrapnel. Rub some dirt on it!

It's been reported that the lieutenant in that photo was killed a few minutes after it was taken.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I imagine there's gotta be a pretty dramatic shift in perception around helmets with the switch over to guns, right? A solid hit from a bullet anywhere on your body has a pretty good chance of seriously loving your poo poo up even if it doesn't outright kill you, so your best hope when being shot at is that you just won't get hit. But if you're standing in a line fighting with spears or swords or whatever, you WILL get hit, repeatedly, and so you're looking to limit the damage by strapping stuff to your more important bits. In a hand-to-hand context that helmet is much more likely to be vitally important than in a gunfight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Why did we stop using the brodie helmet?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Eldoop posted:

I imagine there's gotta be a pretty dramatic shift in perception around helmets with the switch over to guns, right? A solid hit from a bullet anywhere on your body has a pretty good chance of seriously loving your poo poo up even if it doesn't outright kill you, so your best hope when being shot at is that you just won't get hit. But if you're standing in a line fighting with spears or swords or whatever, you WILL get hit, repeatedly, and so you're looking to limit the damage by strapping stuff to your more important bits. In a hand-to-hand context that helmet is much more likely to be vitally important than in a gunfight.

No.

There's a lot more nastiness on a modern battlefield than just bullets. Specifically small chunks of shrapnel thrown around by artillery (and, to a lesser extent, grenades). In modern wars these cause the majority of casualties, not bullets.

Modern steel helmets are designed to protect against this sort of thing. They won't stop a direct hit from an artillery shell, obviously, but they can make the difference between a stray piece of shrapnel putting a hole in your skull or hitting your helmet and giving you a really bad headache.

This became especially clear in WWI, when soldiers would take cover in trenches. The trench covered most of their body, but they suffered horribly from head wounds from shrapnel. This eventually led to the introduction of modern steel helmets.

Edit:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why did we stop using the brodie helmet?

Because it doesn't protect your neck or the sides of your head. It's decent protection for shrapnel from above, like a soldier in a trench would be exposed to, but it isn't as good in other situations.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 18, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

with the switchover to guns yes helmets were temporarily obsoleted, or at least perceived to be. as the modern battlefield evolves out of the early modern one then you do start having a lot more shrapnel flying around and the helmet comes back (eventually, probably one or two wars later than it should have)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Same thing with body armor as well.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Eldoop posted:

Right. It's a lot easier to armor effectively against a weapon propelled by someone's arm muscles instead of by gunpowder, and turn a "this would have crippled/killed you" hit into something that just leaves a bruise. On the battlefield of, say, the mid to late 1800s, firearms are sufficiently advanced and powerful that basically no helmet anyone could reasonably wear is going to provide meaningful protection, and explosive artillery and shrapnel aren't yet a sufficiently developed and recognized threat. So that's the era where helmets are essentially abandoned.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
That all makes sense, it explains why we had such a golden age of military hats in the 19th century. Truly the forgotten victim of WWI

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I remember reading in 1915 some French staff officers found that a LOT of people were getting fatal wounds in the head and they were standing in trenches covered in every direction except up and they put two and two together.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it was a very useful era for learning about what various regions of the brain did, because there were so many people walking around who had tiny regions of their brains already removed

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Quick question for Iliad-boos: For how long does Achilleus drag Hectors body around behind his chariot? I'm re-reading The Firebrand, and it already seems comical that he does it for 24 hours.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 19, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Three days? I haven't read it in a decade

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s 12 days before Hector’s body is ransomed. Achilles isn’t driving in circles for all that time though. He gets up at dawn to drag the body round the tomb a couple times and then goes back to his tent for the rest of the day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Brawnfire posted:

What an rear end in a top hat

He’s literally the worst in the book. He’s a whiny petulant rear end in a top hat stomping on mortals worrying about his image.

Hektor is defending his family and country and somehow his name gets warped through history to a negative connotation?