Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
i mean, we have emoji, can't we just use emoji for tone? or rather, we do already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't imagine using a smiley to convey tone. :hmmno:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:smugmrgw:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
e: meh

Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 17, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mr. Nemo posted:

Man this thread gets weird between episodes.

Anyway, very funny episode. I loved the screaming angry rock.

Right up there with screaming sun planet.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Mr. Nemo posted:

Man this thread gets weird between episodes.

What a terrible sequence of posts that followed mine lol.

Anyway, I remembered that the skating dinos also ruled.

As did the sequence of terrible paleontology from different civilizations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Anyways, is Jerry meant to be relatable or is only Morty?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ikanreed posted:

Anyways, is Jerry meant to be relatable or is only Morty?

we're all a bit Jerry deep inside

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah... A bit. Yes. Only a bit. Definitely.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There is some kind of Justin Roiland animation anthology special called "The Paloni Show" on Hulu.

Haven't watched it, looks like about what you'd expect from a Justin Roiland animation anthology special.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's Justin Roiland AND Psychicpebbles!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PostNouveau posted:

There is some kind of Justin Roiland animation anthology special called "The Paloni Show" on Hulu.

Haven't watched it, looks like about what you'd expect from a Justin Roiland animation anthology special.

There's a Paloni Show Haloween Special thats supposed to come out soon if it hasn't already. They had a panel on it at NYCC where they showed about a third of it, and it was a special kind of Roiland crazy.

It was also apparently a project Roiland's been plinking away at for years now. One of the skits stars Gilbert Gottfried and was animated and recorded long before he passed earlier this year.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AlternateNu posted:

There's a Paloni Show Haloween Special thats supposed to come out soon if it hasn't already. They had a panel on it at NYCC where they showed about a third of it, and it was a special kind of Roiland crazy.

It was also apparently a project Roiland's been plinking away at for years now. One of the skits stars Gilbert Gottfried and was animated and recorded long before he passed earlier this year.

The Halloween special has a Megg Mogg and Owl segment in it (with special guest Werewolf Jones!) That's the only part I've seen so far, but I feel that segment alone justifies the existence of the rest of it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZmis8g_ilc

Roiland shows up in the new Joel Haver video.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

"I'm a little bit like Short Circuit" :lol:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

No it didn't. Like all accommodations made for disabled people, it died because it instantly became a joke for able people.

It became a joke because irony is supposed to be a little transgressive and making it easier to read is antithetical to the kind of point one usually tries to make when being ironic.

Besides it's not like irony is some kind of impenetrable enigma if you have Autism.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just watched that Paloni Show Halloween Special and it was fantastic. Each sketch was done by different animators and it was fuckin’ wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsrg_UiVMzY

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Gonz posted:

Just watched that Paloni Show Halloween Special and it was fantastic. Each sketch was done by different animators and it was fuckin’ wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsrg_UiVMzY

meg mog and owl?!!?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The fuckin disney corporation made content that included werewolf jones. Hell of a timeline we are in. There's some really cool stuff in there, loved the animation on the apple bobbing skit thing most of all.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SCheeseman posted:

It became a joke because irony is supposed to be a little transgressive and making it easier to read is antithetical to the kind of point one usually tries to make when being ironic.

Besides it's not like irony is some kind of impenetrable enigma if you have Autism.
That's not how autism works. We don't all get every trait and none of them look like they do on TV.

I can understand irony just fine, for the most part, but it's because I've spent decades brute-forcing social cues in an attempt to assimilate. Some of us don't have to do that to understand it, and some don't care to try and shouldn't be made to.

But some of us would appreciate a little more clarity surrounding things like this and your assertion that one kind of joke will be less funny and that's why we shouldn't attempt to accommodate disabilities? That ain't it, friend.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

"I'm a little bit like Short Circuit" :lol:

I like how the county fair isnt fun.

Also why do shows like solar opposites and this keeps doing 1980's references like eye of thundera, monkey riding mummutt, short circuit like can they just go back one more decade and make some 1970s or 1990 referrences

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
what's your favorite 1990 reference?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The show runners grew up in the 1980s and it was also where we peaked as a species

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

LividLiquid posted:

I can understand irony just fine, for the most part, but it's because I've spent decades brute-forcing social cues in an attempt to assimilate.

Pretty sure that's how social cues work, yeah. This recent bit where autism has become "when you have to think to communicate with people, unlike non-autistic people, who presumably communicate via some kind of telepathy" seems kind of silly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

A reference like Short Circuit is also funny to me because who the gently caress is referencing Short Circuit??

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

boo_radley posted:

what's your favorite 1990 reference?

"im like a troll in central park!"
"i dont know... i dont know what that is"
"im like rock-a-doodle"
"oh ok, that makes sense actually"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

That's not how autism works. We don't all get every trait and none of them look like they do on TV.

I can understand irony just fine, for the most part, but it's because I've spent decades brute-forcing social cues in an attempt to assimilate. Some of us don't have to do that to understand it, and some don't care to try and shouldn't be made to.

But some of us would appreciate a little more clarity surrounding things like this and your assertion that one kind of joke will be less funny and that's why we shouldn't attempt to accommodate disabilities? That ain't it, friend.

I am personally afflicted by the 'tism. Autism doesn't mean totally arrested development, it is still possible, if more difficult, to learn social cues. If one doesn't care to try that's on them.

There's a prevailing trend among the high-functioning Autistic scene of leaning on the diagnosis as an excuse to not learn new or change behaviours.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 18, 2022

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

solar opposites is p. funny

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Trying posted:

solar opposites is p. funny

:hai:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

The show runners grew up in the 1980s and it was also where we peaked as a species

There's also the thing that very early family guy touched on where a lot of 90s kids, or well at least me, grew up with tons of Nick at Nite and syndicated reruns. So my 90s nostalgia is like 50% stuff from other eras that was just on TV a lot being referenced or rerun.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Aren' irony and sarcasm very much depend on your culture as well?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I know how LividLiquid can come across but they called me on my bullshit in a helpful way at least one time and they are named after a Dolly Parton song, so

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There's also the thing that very early family guy touched on where a lot of 90s kids, or well at least me, grew up with tons of Nick at Nite and syndicated reruns. So my 90s nostalgia is like 50% stuff from other eras that was just on TV a lot being referenced or rerun.

Yeah I don't think kids watch old poo poo anymore because we were sort of forced to. I'm imagining a kid whose parents only have streaming services and trying to figure out how in the world they'd ever see I Love Lucy without looking for it. Or the Price is Right.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I Love Lucy slaps and so does All in the Family, kids today with their Zunes don't know the joys of Nick at Night

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
watched way too much Andy Griffith growing up because there was almost nothing else on. People today can watch almost anything wonder if there will be any shared TV nostalgia for this era when the kids grow up

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We were raised by tv companies deciding to air whatever the gently caress, they’re raised by the algorithm on YouTube. Hard to say which is better, but I love Lucy, Golden Girls, Price is Right, that’s good poo poo. Not to mention the nick at nite faves like bewitched etc.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the many loves of doby gillies on nick at night and the old black and white superman tv show.

as for 1990s references

"I m like cool world"

" I m bit like basic instinct"

"I m like rug rats"

"I m like widget the world watcher"

"I m like land before time"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I have never felt more distant to society than when, in 5th grade, I asked the kid next to me if he had watched Laverne and Shirley the previous night

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Sockser posted:

I have never felt more distant to society than when, in 5th grade, I asked the kid next to me if he had watched Laverne and Shirley the previous night

I got failed on a paper we had to write in 8th grade where we had to talk about a TV show we watched. I wrote about Keeping Up Appearances and the paper came back with "you made this up" written up top. It's a tough life out there for kids that watch old TV reruns, especially British ones :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Nick at Night ruled.

Just got all 5 seasons of Get Smart in the mail today.