Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SHNHorror/status/1582426296616857600?t=VxZRafYXiUYR7DS4WpdfaA&s=19

Oh my God it's not a remake it's a sequel

Or the remake is 2 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The original is only like 8 hours long though!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a remake of Silent Hill 2, followed by Silent Hill 2 Part 2, in which you play as Pyramid Head and avenge yourself upon James for killing Angela's door monster

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1582429607042564097

Can't the Switch just do this on a software level without 200 dollar controllers

is this video satire wtf is going on lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1582442770735562758?t=-gTqmjt862m2C5ImFZYTEw&s=19

Platinum claims that their offer to Hellena was 4k per session and has apparently shown Bloomberg hard proof.

E: But it also seems like this may have been the case the entire time and the press misunderstood what Hellena was saying

https://twitter.com/FilmCow/status/1582453643898675200?t=iTJOXZzzXwY1K1eycZI_hw&s=19

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 18, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao: if it's true I respect the attempt

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sims 5 in dev!

https://twitter.com/lilsimsie/status/1582434234043891713?t=wAP3NO_P2Sr7QJfw96cJ-g&s=19

Polygon: The Sims 5 is in early development, has cool new build mode.
https://www.polygon.com/23404750/sims-5-project-rene-announcement

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

VG is streaming SotN and he refuses to use any other subweapon than the hand so I had to turn off the stream in disgust

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Has anyone played this SCP Secret Files game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1718130/SCP_Secret_Files/

I'm curious if it has combat or chase/hiding sequences. I like the idea of an SCP game that's much closer to a walking sim cause it feels like combat against dangerous SCPs is just such an obvious route when there's just so many SCPs that aren't just "scary monster"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Macaluso posted:

Has anyone played this SCP Secret Files game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1718130/SCP_Secret_Files/

I'm curious if it has combat or chase/hiding sequences. I like the idea of an SCP game that's much closer to a walking sim cause it feels like combat against dangerous SCPs is just such an obvious route when there's just so many SCPs that aren't just "scary monster"

Very much the same question for the exact same reasons. When I first learned of it I was really hoping for something vaguely like Control tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would also like more horror games that don't have combat because ones that do make me super extra anxious and not in a fun way.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got up to "the truth" in MGS V, and it's all just so bad. Huey sucks, it sucks that nothing story wise in this game really means anything, we don't really know what Boss was actually doing while his double did his job and it doesn't really matter in the end due to everything that happens with the Patriots and Ocelot. It also sucks that after mission 30 most of the missions are repeats and the very last "story" mission is a repeat of the bad tutorial. Would have been nice to have an actual character outside of the taps for Ocelot and more of a character than an anger elemental that is Kaz in MGSV.

Love the game while playing it, really hate it any time I'm having to hear story. Except for Kaz's hamburgers, those tapes were good.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
love the tension in a horror game when you're walking down an unexplored hallway with only five handgun rounds not knowing what may pop up. Also love the relief of having a fully loaded magnum in the endgame. Scary games without combat have to do a lot to keep me interested

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1582442770735562758?t=-gTqmjt862m2C5ImFZYTEw&s=19

Platinum claims that their offer to Hellena was 4k per session and has apparently shown Bloomberg hard proof.

E: But it also seems like this may have been the case the entire time and the press misunderstood what Hellena was saying

https://twitter.com/FilmCow/status/1582453643898675200?t=iTJOXZzzXwY1K1eycZI_hw&s=19

LMAO Bayo 3 does not have a budget of 100 million dollars

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Huey is so the worst he kinda loops around to being hilarious.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Harrow posted:

I thought the Playstation could do that on the system level, or at least you could on PS4.

Did they remove it from PS5 so they could sell it back to you with a new controller?

I think you can only swap buttons, but I haven’t checked recently.

Basic dead zone settings would also go a long way towards mitigating drift. But nah let’s make e-waste.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Huey is so the worst he kinda loops around to being hilarious.

Making almost every bad thing and attack that happened in the game being the fault at least in a large part due to a single annoying whiny scientist did reach points of hilarity for sure.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mr E posted:

Got up to "the truth" in MGS V, and it's all just so bad. Huey sucks, it sucks that nothing story wise in this game really means anything, we don't really know what Boss was actually doing while his double did his job and it doesn't really matter in the end due to everything that happens with the Patriots and Ocelot. It also sucks that after mission 30 most of the missions are repeats and the very last "story" mission is a repeat of the bad tutorial. Would have been nice to have an actual character outside of the taps for Ocelot and more of a character than an anger elemental that is Kaz in MGSV.

Love the game while playing it, really hate it any time I'm having to hear story. Except for Kaz's hamburgers, those tapes were good.

mgs5 ocelot has a strong intro but is such a disappointment after that

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looper posted:

mgs5 ocelot has a strong intro but is such a disappointment after that

I love his character design and Troy Baker did a good job with his voice so he could have been a really great part of the game instead of mostly saying "Boss it's your decision" about everything.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
MGS5 wasn't a MGS game and I never finished it :colbert:

hatty posted:

love the tension in a horror game when you're walking down an unexplored hallway with only five handgun rounds not knowing what may pop up. Also love the relief of having a fully loaded magnum in the endgame. Scary games without combat have to do a lot to keep me interested

I totally get that, I just really like walking sims and there's a lot of untapped potential with the SCPs as a whole where I'd like to say, visit the alternate reality where everything suddenly died one day, or interact with the giant slime that acts like a puppy, instead of just fighting or running from the statue that breaks your neck in a dark hallway and such.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GlyphGryph posted:

Does anyone know of any decent video games where the primary gameplay element is "novel research" or "discovering the rules of the world" with bonus points for "figuring out how to use them"?

It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but a very basic example would be, like... Zendo. Yeah, Zendo is a good example, I think. For those unaware, it's a very basic inductive reasoning game played between two or more players. You usually have pieces split into 3 shapes, each of which can come in 3 different colors, and 1 uknown "rule" that governs whether any arrangement (called a "koan") is "white" (follows the rule) or "black" (does not follow the rule). The rule can be almost anything, but by default they are quite simple, like "Contains exactly 3 red pieces". The goal of the game is to figure out the unknown rule by building koans.

So that's an example of what I mean. You have a small world with things you can interact with (shapes) and some world properties and the goal of the game is to experiment until you can figure out what those properties.

I have played a few video games that are sort of like this - for all the hate that it seems to get, I will always love the Witness because its one of the few games where this is a central component. BABA IS YOU is another example. Both of these games are very interested in making sure that you figure out all the rules really quickly though, and go out of their way to make doing so as easy as possible. They "teach you". Both of them are also largely dominated by very narrowly scoped puzzles that isolate you from the larger world (although both of them have interesting moments where you break out of those limits as well, BABA especially).

While puzzle games are fun and I'd love recommendations for more similar puzzle games (those are the only two I know of where this is a major mechanic), I'd especially love a recommendation for a game that is not a puzzle game, maybe something more open-worldy and sandboxy, where they give you the pieces and then step back to let you figure it out on your own.

It's quite possible that sort of game doesn't exist, I'm sure it would be niche of niche, but maybe it does and I've just never heard of it (or I have and didn't realize it had that sort of thing in it) so I figured I'd ask!

:siren: PLAY OUTER WILDS :siren:
(not outer worlds)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Planning the route I'm gonna take from the safe room to my next goal while deciding how to use my very limited inventory slots is gaming bliss

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
play outer worlds

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
sorry that was over the line

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
do NOT play gun games with healthbars

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Help Im Alive posted:

£210 is steep but i have to admit it looks great

I didn't have a PS3 and didn't see the news about Sony canceling the plans for these, so I thought the boomerang controllers were the PS3 controllers until only a few years ago

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Fun Hideo Kojima fact: In MGSV, the V does not stand for 5, it stands for Venom.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

venom is the 5th snake, hence it stands for 5

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

I would also like more horror games that don't have combat because ones that do make me super extra anxious and not in a fun way.

the wasted opportunities of scorn...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mr E posted:

It's always dissapointing to hear someone recall their experince of V with displeasure. It's one of the most fascinating and metatextual video games ever made, even more so than 2, but because gamers brains have become so lax in their ability to understand stories that aren't told purely through prose.

Let's consider some examples. Full Spoilers for V. Will follow.

1. The game puts us in the role of Venom leader of the newly founded Diamond Dogs. What is Diamond Dogs, in the game it's a mercenary outfit composed of the remnants of Military Sans Frontiers. Consider the difference in Titles. MSF implies them to be (human) soldiers whom fight outside the modern nationstate concept. MSF, falling is the death of that very same Nationstate concept within the MGS universe, as Cipher spreads it's influence the lines on the map begin to fade away. As is referenced in 4, Big Boss and Zero ended up arriving at similar philosophical endpoints as a result of the Boss's death, but their methods and route to get their differed. Zero used the influence of Cipher to dissolve the border of a nation into nothingness. BB chose to try and create a stateless army, effectively removing soldiers from the Nationstate equation. Each ends up creating a society that still goes to war, but the facade of USA or USSR are purely illusory. The Transition from MSF to Diamond Dogs shows the degradation of their own founding purpose. They, the soldiers have been hardened by the forces they've faced, but they've also become less than human, mere beasts that run wild picking at the ashes of the battlefield. We can extend this further into Outer Heaven as well, where the reality is so far afield from it's foundation that it results in an organization that willfully embraces that it's members are all damned to wait eternally outside the gates of heaven.

2. Now let's look at Diamond Dogs out of the text. Obviously it's a reference to the Bowie Album of the same name. But let's not stop at just calling something a reference and actually look at the album and it's contents. It's a dystopian album inspired by 1984 and books of it's like. Sounds a lot like the plot of V, eh?
More importantly Bowie was a man who played many characters in his life, his character for this album was a man called Jack, Halloween Jack to be precise. Who is Jack? Obviously it's BB's real name, but why the Halloween part? It's as if someone is playing the role of Big Boss. Which if you've seen the Truth, you know is factual.

3.Why would Kojima pull the same trick twice though? Did he really think he could get us with such a cheap Gotcha? No you fool, there's a reason. People give up thinking and end up disappointing because they didn't think things through. Every piece of media around the game has been leading us to believe that Venom is not Jack, the differing name, the weirdness in the cutscenes, the Man Who Sold The World Theme, saying two shadows were born, etc. The twist is not and never was, that you weren't playing as Big Boss, in fact you are playing as Big Boss is one part of the twist, the full twist is that YOU are Big Boss/Venom. Not you as some nebulous concept outside the reader of this post, but YOU the very player of the game. YOU were his best man, YOU helped build MSF, YOU watched it fall, YOU set out on a quest for revenge, YOU hired the men for your base, built nuclear weapons, deluded yourself into thinking Paz was still alive, and YOU put a bullet in the head of all the men YOU hired who placed their trust in you. Just like YOU put a bullet in the Boss's Head in MGS3. Remember? When you played MGS3, you finally defeated her, she was lying on the ground grievously wounded and someone pulled the trigger. Whom was that, Jack didn't. You can sit at that scene forever and Jack won't do a thing. No, YOU need to be the one to pull the trigger. When that bullet is fired YOU became Big Boss just as much as Jack did. YOU share in every accomplishment and are complicit in every crime. Kojima for all his repuatation as a glory hog auteur, made his final outing in the MGS universe a love letter to his fans. We were always his best man, his shadow, we were the co authors of the MGS saga and will continue to be in perpetuity as each player of V decides how they'll define the legend of Big Boss.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Red Minjo posted:

Fun Hideo Kojima fact: In MGSV, the V does not stand for 5, it stands for Venom.

It's Vengeance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the first mgs is the best one OP.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

It's always dissapointing to hear someone recall their experince of V with displeasure. It's one of the most fascinating and metatextual video games ever made, even more so than 2, but because gamers brains have become so lax in their ability to understand stories that aren't told purely through prose.

1. The game puts us in the role of Venom leader of the newly founded Diamond Dogs. What is Diamond Dogs, in the game it's a mercenary outfit composed of the remnants of Military Sans Frontiers. Consider the difference in Titles. MSF implies them to be (human) soldiers whom fight outside the modern nationstate concept. MSF, falling is the death of that very same Nationstate concept within the MGS universe, as Cipher spreads it's influence the lines on the map begin to fade away. As is referenced in 4, Big Boss and Zero ended up arriving at similar philosophical endpoints as a result of the Boss's death, but their methods and route to get their differed. Zero used the influence of Cipher to dissolve the border of a nation into nothingness. BB chose to try and create a stateless army, effectively removing soldiers from the Nationstate equation. Each ends up creating a society that still goes to war, but the facade of USA or USSR are purely illusory. The Transition from MSF to Diamond Dogs shows the degradation of their own founding purpose. They, the soldiers have been hardened by the forces they've faced, but they've also become less than human, mere beasts that run wild picking at the ashes of the battlefield. We can extend this further into Outer Heaven as well, where the reality is so far afield from it's foundation that it results in an organization that willfully embraces that it's members are all damned to wait eternally outside the gates of heaven.

2. Now let's look at Diamond Dogs out of the text. Obviously it's a reference to the Bowie Album of the same name. But let's not stop at just calling something a reference and actually look at the album and it's contents. It's a dystopian album inspired by 1984 and books of it's like. Sounds a lot like the plot of V, eh?
More importantly Bowie was a man who played many characters in his life, his character for this album was a man called Jack, Halloween Jack to be precise. Who is Jack? Obviously it's BB's real name, but why the Halloween part? It's as if someone is playing the role of Big Boss. Which if you've seen the Truth, you know is factual.

3.Why would Kojima pull the same trick twice though? Did he really think he could get us with such a cheap Gotcha? No you fool, there's a reason. People give up thinking and end up disappointing because they didn't think things through. Every piece of media around the game has been leading us to believe that Venom is not Jack, the differing name, the weirdness in the cutscenes, the Man Who Sold The World Theme, saying two shadows were born, etc. The twist is not and never was, that you weren't playing as Big Boss, in fact you are playing as Big Boss is one part of the twist, the full twist is that YOU are Big Boss/Venom. Not you as some nebulous concept outside the reader of this post, but YOU the very player of the game. YOU were his best man, YOU helped build MSF, YOU watched it fall, YOU set out on a quest for revenge, YOU hired the men for your base, built nuclear weapons, deluded yourself into thinking Paz was still alive, and YOU put a bullet in the head of all the men YOU hired who placed their trust in you. Just like YOU put a bullet in the Boss's Head in MGS3. Remember? When you played MGS3, you finally defeated her, she was lying on the ground grievously wounded and someone pulled the trigger. Whom was that, Jack didn't. You can sit at that scene forever and Jack won't do a thing. No, YOU need to be the one to pull the trigger. When that bullet is fired YOU became Big Boss just as much as Jack did. YOU share in every accomplishment and are complicit in every crime. Kojima for all his repuatation as a glory hog auteur, made his final outing in the MGS universe a love letter to his fans. We were always his best man, his shadow, we were the co authors of the MGS saga and will continue to be in perpetuity as each player of V decides how they'll define the legend of Big Boss.

Good satire

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Vengeance

the prequel to Revengeance...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Revengeance is an okay game, with a terrible story that fundamentally misunderstands and misinterprets the characters and universe of MGS. It's good that it fun because otherwise it's a complete embarrassment.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It's fun game where you do the stealth thing and/or the shooty thing and you can steal trucks full of people with balloons. you get a dog and typical nonsense mgs conversations happen. it's fine

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

kojima sucks

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I wish MGSV had more bossfights and cutscenes like a, y'know, METAL GEAR SOLID GAME??? Too bad the fobs are going down though they ruled

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's funny when the villain gives a speech he's clearly been rehearsing for a decade to the wrong person.