Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
MGR is epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You'll never be forgotten S rank soldier
*Smears ashes all over face*

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i am incredibly bad at mgr and games like it, but they rule extremely hard

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

The best controller keyboard input was in Beyond Good and Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euquOpUmUyk

always reminded of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdShz03E58k&t=29s

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Revengeance is an okay game, with a terrible story that fundamentally misunderstands and misinterprets the characters and universe of MGS. It's good that it fun because otherwise it's a complete embarrassment.

The story and characters are epic

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Harrow posted:

I thought the Playstation could do that on the system level, or at least you could on PS4.

Did they remove it from PS5 so they could sell it back to you with a new controller?

It can, but there might be instances where you just want a custom button layout for a single game and standard for everything else. If you're doing it at a system level you're changing the confirm button, etc for the system menus as well, which is annoying.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

Mirror's Edge:

WHY CELESTE WHY??? :argh:

she a filthy cop

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this is a leapfrog but those videos have me thinking of metroid prime 2's ui

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I feel bad I can't really enjoy Kojima games for some reason

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It's always dissapointing to hear someone recall their experince of V with displeasure. It's one of the most fascinating and metatextual video games ever made, even more so than 2, but because gamers brains have become so lax in their ability to understand stories that aren't told purely through prose.

Let's consider some examples. Full Spoilers for V. Will follow.

1. The game puts us in the role of Venom leader of the newly founded Diamond Dogs. What is Diamond Dogs, in the game it's a mercenary outfit composed of the remnants of Military Sans Frontiers. Consider the difference in Titles. MSF implies them to be (human) soldiers whom fight outside the modern nationstate concept. MSF, falling is the death of that very same Nationstate concept within the MGS universe, as Cipher spreads it's influence the lines on the map begin to fade away. As is referenced in 4, Big Boss and Zero ended up arriving at similar philosophical endpoints as a result of the Boss's death, but their methods and route to get their differed. Zero used the influence of Cipher to dissolve the border of a nation into nothingness. BB chose to try and create a stateless army, effectively removing soldiers from the Nationstate equation. Each ends up creating a society that still goes to war, but the facade of USA or USSR are purely illusory. The Transition from MSF to Diamond Dogs shows the degradation of their own founding purpose. They, the soldiers have been hardened by the forces they've faced, but they've also become less than human, mere beasts that run wild picking at the ashes of the battlefield. We can extend this further into Outer Heaven as well, where the reality is so far afield from it's foundation that it results in an organization that willfully embraces that it's members are all damned to wait eternally outside the gates of heaven.

2. Now let's look at Diamond Dogs out of the text. Obviously it's a reference to the Bowie Album of the same name. But let's not stop at just calling something a reference and actually look at the album and it's contents. It's a dystopian album inspired by 1984 and books of it's like. Sounds a lot like the plot of V, eh?
More importantly Bowie was a man who played many characters in his life, his character for this album was a man called Jack, Halloween Jack to be precise. Who is Jack? Obviously it's BB's real name, but why the Halloween part? It's as if someone is playing the role of Big Boss. Which if you've seen the Truth, you know is factual.

3.Why would Kojima pull the same trick twice though? Did he really think he could get us with such a cheap Gotcha? No you fool, there's a reason. People give up thinking and end up disappointing because they didn't think things through. Every piece of media around the game has been leading us to believe that Venom is not Jack, the differing name, the weirdness in the cutscenes, the Man Who Sold The World Theme, saying two shadows were born, etc. The twist is not and never was, that you weren't playing as Big Boss, in fact you are playing as Big Boss is one part of the twist, the full twist is that YOU are Big Boss/Venom. Not you as some nebulous concept outside the reader of this post, but YOU the very player of the game. YOU were his best man, YOU helped build MSF, YOU watched it fall, YOU set out on a quest for revenge, YOU hired the men for your base, built nuclear weapons, deluded yourself into thinking Paz was still alive, and YOU put a bullet in the head of all the men YOU hired who placed their trust in you. Just like YOU put a bullet in the Boss's Head in MGS3. Remember? When you played MGS3, you finally defeated her, she was lying on the ground grievously wounded and someone pulled the trigger. Whom was that, Jack didn't. You can sit at that scene forever and Jack won't do a thing. No, YOU need to be the one to pull the trigger. When that bullet is fired YOU became Big Boss just as much as Jack did. YOU share in every accomplishment and are complicit in every crime. Kojima for all his repuatation as a glory hog auteur, made his final outing in the MGS universe a love letter to his fans. We were always his best man, his shadow, we were the co authors of the MGS saga and will continue to be in perpetuity as each player of V decides how they'll define the legend of Big Boss.

couldn't have said it better myself, mgs5 is fail

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

The story and characters are epic

it's the best metal gear, easily

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MGS is fine but the grind to unlock stuff and the mission set-up is pretty dull. I enjoyed it but didn't get halfway to finishing it

Revengeance owns and is one of a handful of games Platinum has made that's actually good

Unrelated but Metroid Fusion with an item randomizer is cool as hell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Whizzing Wizard posted:

VG is streaming SotN and he refuses to use any other subweapon than the hand so I had to turn off the stream in disgust

Lol if you watch a VG stream expecting him to engage with the game mechanics as presented rather than as he imagines them to be in his head

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MGSV is the most disppointed I've ever been with a single videogame. I choose to believe that my strong feelings against the game are the canon response to its cobbled together metatext.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think metal gear solid is super cool and whenever people mention these obscure anime games that have like 30 reviews on steam I can't help but think "yeah but mgs was anime and cool and even my friend Kevin who only played fps and driving games loved it"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anime games are epic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think metal gear solid is super cool and whenever people mention these obscure anime games that have like 30 reviews on steam I can't help but think "yeah but mgs was anime and cool and even my friend Kevin who only played fps and driving games loved it"

what

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

remembering when dan ryckert of giant bomb was making fun of anime years ago and everyone pointed out that MGS one of his fave series was the most anime thing, and his attempted counter argument was "but it's got the American military"

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBVAZNDFtjI

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 18, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dan Rykert is an adorable idiot, and I'm glad he exists

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I bet Kevin's never even heard of Atelier!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched some anime the other day (a challenge run of elden ring) and it was really good!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I played some anime, Splatoon 3, last night

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

MGSV has to be the best game with the shittiest story, at least that I can think of.
Fultoning containers and dudes was so much fun and think I spent more than 100hrs in the game. Then you got some guy in a mask talking about throat parasites in a jeep for 30 minutes and that's the story and by the way you're the boss from the first metal gear game on the nes I guess.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I started watching JoJo again so I can finally play that JoJo brawler I bought like two years ago that has like 50+ playable characters.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Unironically love hearing an old man talk about parasite evolution and biology for hours in MGSV.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It's always dissapointing to hear someone recall their experince of V with displeasure. It's one of the most fascinating and metatextual video games ever made, even more so than 2, but because gamers brains have become so lax in their ability to understand stories that aren't told purely through prose.

Let's consider some examples. Full Spoilers for V. Will follow.

1. The game puts us in the role of Venom leader of the newly founded Diamond Dogs. What is Diamond Dogs, in the game it's a mercenary outfit composed of the remnants of Military Sans Frontiers. Consider the difference in Titles. MSF implies them to be (human) soldiers whom fight outside the modern nationstate concept. MSF, falling is the death of that very same Nationstate concept within the MGS universe, as Cipher spreads it's influence the lines on the map begin to fade away. As is referenced in 4, Big Boss and Zero ended up arriving at similar philosophical endpoints as a result of the Boss's death, but their methods and route to get their differed. Zero used the influence of Cipher to dissolve the border of a nation into nothingness. BB chose to try and create a stateless army, effectively removing soldiers from the Nationstate equation. Each ends up creating a society that still goes to war, but the facade of USA or USSR are purely illusory. The Transition from MSF to Diamond Dogs shows the degradation of their own founding purpose. They, the soldiers have been hardened by the forces they've faced, but they've also become less than human, mere beasts that run wild picking at the ashes of the battlefield. We can extend this further into Outer Heaven as well, where the reality is so far afield from it's foundation that it results in an organization that willfully embraces that it's members are all damned to wait eternally outside the gates of heaven.

2. Now let's look at Diamond Dogs out of the text. Obviously it's a reference to the Bowie Album of the same name. But let's not stop at just calling something a reference and actually look at the album and it's contents. It's a dystopian album inspired by 1984 and books of it's like. Sounds a lot like the plot of V, eh?
More importantly Bowie was a man who played many characters in his life, his character for this album was a man called Jack, Halloween Jack to be precise. Who is Jack? Obviously it's BB's real name, but why the Halloween part? It's as if someone is playing the role of Big Boss. Which if you've seen the Truth, you know is factual.

3.Why would Kojima pull the same trick twice though? Did he really think he could get us with such a cheap Gotcha? No you fool, there's a reason. People give up thinking and end up disappointing because they didn't think things through. Every piece of media around the game has been leading us to believe that Venom is not Jack, the differing name, the weirdness in the cutscenes, the Man Who Sold The World Theme, saying two shadows were born, etc. The twist is not and never was, that you weren't playing as Big Boss, in fact you are playing as Big Boss is one part of the twist, the full twist is that YOU are Big Boss/Venom. Not you as some nebulous concept outside the reader of this post, but YOU the very player of the game. YOU were his best man, YOU helped build MSF, YOU watched it fall, YOU set out on a quest for revenge, YOU hired the men for your base, built nuclear weapons, deluded yourself into thinking Paz was still alive, and YOU put a bullet in the head of all the men YOU hired who placed their trust in you. Just like YOU put a bullet in the Boss's Head in MGS3. Remember? When you played MGS3, you finally defeated her, she was lying on the ground grievously wounded and someone pulled the trigger. Whom was that, Jack didn't. You can sit at that scene forever and Jack won't do a thing. No, YOU need to be the one to pull the trigger. When that bullet is fired YOU became Big Boss just as much as Jack did. YOU share in every accomplishment and are complicit in every crime. Kojima for all his repuatation as a glory hog auteur, made his final outing in the MGS universe a love letter to his fans. We were always his best man, his shadow, we were the co authors of the MGS saga and will continue to be in perpetuity as each player of V decides how they'll define the legend of Big Boss.

I am ashamed of my words and deeds but also I still think the story sucks despite the gameplay being maybe my favorite ever of its style.

Pwnstar posted:

Unironically love hearing an old man talk about parasite evolution and biology for hours in MGSV.

I did actually love some of the tapes like Code Talker saying copulate 400 times and talking about parasites.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Sure but it's hard to beat a shirtless guy saying "super baby method" with a straight face

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1582494881468932096?s=20&t=VW65Aa-UL13I_VsS5vUemw

Heck yeah

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Kojima and the Gang's ability to have gruff men discuss the dumbest poo poo in the world completely earnestly is a true gaming treasure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Goddamnit. Shootas, Blood, and Teef was pushed back to December.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

get that poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Okay so I'm like two SCPs into this Secret Files game. It's 100% a walking sim game, which is exactly what I wanted so it's pretty cool so far. It's kind of a janky in places being an indie, and the "on a computer" bits between SCPs have been a drag but I like how it's so far set up as an SCP anthology that you are experiencing in first person. A huge problem I have with a lot of newer SCPs is how there are basically novels of interview logs or exploration logs, so it ends up reading like a short story instead of this secret government document. This feels like it takes those long drawn out novel SCPs and makes them a game that you control and experience first hand instead so it's a lot more palatable.

The intro cutscene is also very well done with what's going on during it and the music swelling. It gives a very good first impression

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Good.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a ridge racer type 4 speedrunner who uses that left controller and it looks p satisfying

https://twitch.tv/videos/1481869668

It's also Tim Rogers's favorite controller for the PS1 according to his latest review.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Rip blizzard albany which is actually in colonie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So here I am
Doing everything I can
Holding on to what I am
Pretending I'm a union man

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

In a just world we’d have an updated MGS legacy collection

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

In a just world we’d have an updated MGS legacy collection

no greater good, no just cause

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna play Nameless mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

mgs games are extremely good and its long winded exposition only works because of how insane the games are