Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

That’s a completely legitimate game design choice for many types of video game.

This is the crux of the issue. It’s not something that the studio needs sympathy and understanding for, it’s a design choice.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is the crux of the issue. It’s not something that the studio needs sympathy and understanding for, it’s a design choice.

That’s a silly way of putting it. It’s a choice that allows for a much richer variety of types of video game, so that does need understanding in the sense of not adhering to some weird dogma about video games needing to function in a certain way. Nobody’s suggesting it needs sympathy, but saying games should mandate 60 minimum on consoles is crazy and belies a lack of understanding of what goes into making a game. It would mean a much narrower diversity of games made by way fewer studios. Entire genres of game wouldn’t exist. It’s like saying all games should have voice acting, or be in 3D.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

That’s a silly way of putting it. It’s a choice that allows for a much richer variety of types of video game, so that does need understanding in the sense of not adhering to some weird dogma about video games needing to function in a certain way. Nobody’s suggesting it needs sympathy, but saying games should mandate 60 minimum on consoles is crazy and belies a lack of understanding of what goes into making a game. It would mean a much narrower diversity of games made by way fewer studios. Entire genres of game wouldn’t exist. It’s like saying all games should have voice acting, or be in 3D.

Well, I'm only putting it in the terms that you used. The Batman game isn't doing anything all that special that its mere existence would be threatened by having to run at 60 FPS on consoles. Many other games from smaller, larger, and in-between studios pull it off, even for games of a similar magnitude.

In the context of other Batman games, remember that Arkham Knight performed so poorly on PC that it was pulled from sale until they could patch it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 16, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

I don't think most people are saying every game must be 60 though. A few are, but the ones I've seen ITT are all very much PC guys who also spend $$$$ on GPUs, so they at least have a good reason for it.

OTOH, should this particular game be 30 or 60, as a design choice?

Well, Batman games are timing-based action which is a pretty good reason for 60. It's a big-budget AAA game (and will be $70 plus mtx I'm sure), so that's a good reason to expect some optimization & options. It looks great but not incredible compared to the competition, for example Miles Morales which has a 60 switch. So IMO it's totally defensible for players to be grumpy over not having a 60 mode.

And then a rocksteady guy on twitter is acting like getting 60FPS from a console is deep wizardry, which it just isn't. If people are grumpy about your design choices, take your lumps and move on. Saying there's no way to make this game do 60FPS makes you look kinda incompetent, because your competition does.

(Also recognize that people are going to be looking for reasons to be grumpy about this game, because the last game you sold them in the franchise was crap. If you are in that situation, clapping back and antagonizing people further is a stupid move. Shut up and let the game speak for itself if it's good.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
30 fps is ok for like point and click adventure or puzzle games maybe. I don't know how the console peasants can deal with anything else at that framerate.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

30 fps is ok for like point and click adventure or puzzle games maybe. I don't know how the console peasants can deal with anything else at that framerate.

the convention has mostly shifted with the new console generation, it's the norm for games to have a 30fps/4K-ish mode and a 60fps/upscaled mode now

very few PS5/XSX games only support 30fps as far as i know, so console players have become accustomed to 60fps again

hell they even have 120fps in more esport-sy titles now

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Can youtube detect stuff like a middle finger in a video? In the latest GN vid they pixelated Malcolm's finger when he pointed at something and I was wondering if they did it as a little joke or if youtube could potentially demonetize the video if they just left it alone.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Youtube has demonetised a bunch of GN videos recently for no obvious reason so it's probably a joke related to that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've heard from multiple other non-tech worlds on Youtube of (speedruns, football, and :ussr:) about weird demonetizations/review issues. I'm sure there are others. Doesn't sound like a good sign.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

I've heard from multiple other non-tech worlds on Youtube of (speedruns, football, and :ussr:) about weird demonetizations/review issues. I'm sure there are others. Doesn't sound like a good sign.

YouTube is starting to classify gameplay videos of classic Doom as 18+ for too much pixelated gore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They’re also pushing an absurdly increased amount of ads on people to get the to sign up for YouTube Premium. I saw a few people say they were getting ad blocks every four minutes on a gaming podcast.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Tiny Timbs posted:

In the context of other Batman games, remember that Arkham Knight performed so poorly on PC that it was pulled from sale until they could patch it.

They didn't even really patch it, either. They just rereleased the same broken version once the controversy had died down. Fortunately a community member figured out the issue and wrote their own patch. It turned out that either they had no texture caching or it was completely broken, and shimming a cache in plus a few other tweaks pretty much fixed the issue.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I didn’t actually get to play it until I bought at 1080 Ti and could brute force through the lingering performance issues and stutters. That walkthrough of the custom patch is really interesting. It reminds me of when somebody figured out why GTA V would take entire minutes to load and it was a similar case of really basic optimization not being done.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 16, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: wrong thread lol

though there's no brute forcing through Arkham Knight for a number of reasons, so I don't know how the poster above managed to get a smooth experience. people with 12900Ks and 3090s will still stutter and struggle in some spots.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 16, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The stars aligned with the particular set of hardware I had updated to. I must have tried that game a dozen times before then to see if it would be playable that day.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mr.Radar posted:

They didn't even really patch it, either. They just rereleased the same broken version once the controversy had died down. Fortunately a community member figured out the issue and wrote their own patch. It turned out that either they had no texture caching or it was completely broken, and shimming a cache in plus a few other tweaks pretty much fixed the issue.

I believe someone also said that there was silliness with parts of the engine pretty much relying on the speed (or lack thereof) of a ps4/xbone hdd to throttle certain processes that let loose on a system with a SATA SSD, or even worse NVME would effectively drown in data.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Let's hope that Iron Galaxy has at least learned what a texture pool is now for their upcoming Uncharted 4 PC port.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Let's hope that Iron Galaxy has at least learned what a texture pool is now for their upcoming Uncharted 4 PC port.

That port has been verified for the Steam Deck so I'd hope so. Iron Galaxy have also been behind some extremely good Switch ports so I'm not willing to pin all of Arkham's problems on them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Arivia posted:

YouTube is starting to classify gameplay videos of classic Doom as 18+ for too much pixelated gore.

it's very funny that tech videos have swearing bleeped but footage of Doom Eternal's demons getting high-speed mulched.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

njsykora posted:

I also enjoy people saying JTC is a dumbass.

His videos doing custom loop stuff are great, he’s pretty bad when it comes to the technical side of anything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Was "Iron Galaxy" the name on the box? I must have missed that.

Maybe iron galaxy are a bunch of idiots who don't even know what a texture is. Maybe they're totally competent but were given 30 days, a half-broken build, and zero budget to put real engineers on the project. You don't know, and I don't know.

But I do know that putting blame anywhere other than the company who sold the thing is stupid.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

Maybe iron galaxy are a bunch of idiots who don't even know what a texture is. Maybe they're totally competent but were given 30 days, a half-broken build, and zero budget to put real engineers on the project. You don't know, and I don't know.

But I do know that putting blame anywhere other than the company who sold the thing is stupid.

Iron Galaxy's name was on the box*, yes (okay, steam page). We know at least a little bit about what happened, and we also know that it was pulled from Steam and they spent months trying and failing to fix it while overlooking the most basic AAA PC development practices, something that took a single modder a couple weeks to fix in their spare time. I'm not going to blame any specific individuals for Arkham Knight's PC port, but Iron Galaxy as a company should certainly share a lot of the blame there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Iron Galaxy's name was on the box*, yes (okay, steam page). We know at least a little bit about what happened, and we also know that it was pulled from Steam and they spent months trying and failing to fix it while overlooking the most basic AAA PC development practices, something that took a single modder a couple weeks to fix in their spare time. I'm not going to blame any specific individuals for Arkham Knight's PC port, but Iron Galaxy as a company should certainly share a lot of the blame there.

Iron Galaxy are an extremely well regarded porting house who did a lot of excellent work before Arkham and have done excellent work since, I'm not gonna say they were ignoring the basics of game dev when I don't even know what their dev enviroment looked like because a modder was able to hack together some fixes.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Klyith posted:

It can be true that a publisher should not have put out a mess of a port and also that the porting studio are fuckups and worth being wary of.

A lot of the time it's really both. Developers gently caress up priorities, miss obvious things, etc, and then publishers don't want to spend the money post-release to fix it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the previous batman pc ports (also by iron galaxy) were buggy too, just not as disastrously so as arkham knight

there were also stories about warner bros management just not caring about the pc port at all - they reportedly only gave the pc port a fraction of the qa resources of the console versions, knew it was launching broken & didn't care, and there was also
bizarre stuff about only testing the game at 720p

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lih posted:

the previous batman pc ports (also by iron galaxy) were buggy too, just not as disastrously so as arkham knight

there were also stories about warner bros management just not caring about the pc port at all - they reportedly only gave the pc port a fraction of the qa resources of the console versions, knew it was launching broken & didn't care, and there was also
bizarre stuff about only testing the game at 720p

Arkham Asylum worked perfectly for me on my crappy laptop, never had any issues.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hsYsc8dCg

I'm not convinced that there is any actual reason to shove a gaming PC into a 1U case but I am here for it

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Mac Address was the best thing about the LTT media empire but they've gone completely silent for like a month it seems - even though there have been big apple launches in the interim. Did Linus pull the plug?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Mac Address was the best thing about the LTT media empire but they've gone completely silent for like a month it seems - even though there have been big apple launches in the interim. Did Linus pull the plug?

Still going, Horst might be on vacation (there was a YouTube short two weeks ago) and they’re hiring another dedicated writer https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/y43sjn/so_whats_going_on_with_mac_address_is_it_dead/

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I wonder how expensive that spinoff was, does anyone have any educated guesses for youtube studios? They're all incredibly unique and I'm shooting in the dark

Budget - equipment is amortized with studio - I'm assuming they didn't buy a whole new red or whatever just to film each new show, but something goes on the books, 5k?

logos/graphic design - they have these guys in house

the host - probably also works as a script writer for other shows on LTT, gets paid prolly 40~50k? I am cockeyed on salaries in Vancouver. Probably paid more if also an editor?

buying products - they buy everything for the sake of impartiality? - let's say 50k a year

apple viewers also juicy customers to sell to and are usually more affluent, seems like it would be wise to keep a program for them to watch to siphon off of them

e- I don't watch much LTT or wan show so I don't know if they've discussed their operating budget or anything on stream or on an episode, I wouldn't be surprised if when they launched these new programs if Linus literally went through the line items one by one and told us how much it costs, while also revealing the salary of the guy they hired to host

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 18, 2022

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

forest spirit posted:

I wonder how expensive that spinoff was, does anyone have any educated guesses for youtube studios? They're all incredibly unique and I'm shooting in the dark

Budget - equipment is amortized with studio - I'm assuming they didn't buy a whole new red or whatever just to film each new show, but something goes on the books, 5k?

logos/graphic design - they have these guys in house

the host - probably also works as a script writer for other shows on LTT, gets paid prolly 40~50k? I am cockeyed on salaries in Vancouver. Probably paid more if also an editor?

buying products - they buy everything for the sake of impartiality? - let's say 50k a year

apple viewers also juicy customers to sell to and are usually more affluent, seems like it would be wise to keep a program for them to watch to siphon off of them

e- I don't watch much LTT or wan show so I don't know if they've discussed their operating budget or anything on stream or on an episode, I wouldn't be surprised if when they launched these new programs if Linus literally went through the line items one by one and told us how much it costs, while also revealing the salary of the guy they hired to host

Pretty sure LTT pay retail for all Apple products they use simply because they aren't an approved media outlet. The knock on effect is that their coverage comes out later than approved outlets who get earlier access and benefit from more reviews during the initial hype. Apple content that is time sensitive, like new product releases, just isn't that big of a money spinner for LMG so it's understandable they don't prioritise that kind of content if they can let Alex spend $100 at Home Depot to jank the poo poo out of some hardware they already have.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Apple is also a bad company to make weekly videos for since there’s usually only 3-4 times a year when there’s actually new things to talk about. Max Address whenever I looked at it just seemed to be a lot of filler “Apple doesn’t want you to know this!” kind of stuff that other YouTubers have been doing for longer. Also they do Apple product reviews on the main LTT channel and Short Circuit so Max Address felt kind of pointless.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Charles Leclerc posted:

Pretty sure LTT pay retail for all Apple products they use simply because they aren't an approved media outlet. The knock on effect is that their coverage comes out later than approved outlets who get earlier access and benefit from more reviews during the initial hype. Apple content that is time sensitive, like new product releases, just isn't that big of a money spinner for LMG so it's understandable they don't prioritise that kind of content if they can let Alex spend $100 at Home Depot to jank the poo poo out of some hardware they already have.

It looks like they get their phones, earbuds, watches, and some of the laptops from DBrand. They sponsor the spot, and show off their latest skin for the newest whatever. The actual computers, those they buy.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

forest spirit posted:

Not sure if you mean the equivalent of 40k-50k USD because 40k CAD doesn't cover much more than rent in Vancouver. Then again it would explain a lot of what we've seen on Intel Tech Upgrades.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CordlessPen posted:

Then again it would explain a lot of what we've seen on Intel Tech Upgrades.
More of the staff lives in shoe boxes like Anthony does?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Anthony's the saddest case but I seem to remember a lot of mom's basement and roommates.

Not to say roommates are bad or anything but I wouldn't expect someone who helped Linus become a literal millionaire to need one.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Some people like having roommates because they like having someone around and not for financial reason too….

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Most had pretty OK places, just a bit cramped. Alex, Riley & James had legitimately nice homes, as did Mark and Brandon.

I think the places tend to look a bit bad because these are young nerds, not because they're broke.

Jake and Anthony seemed to live with friends or family, but there's no way they're not able to afford anything better. Jake has that ridiculous car, and I assume Anthony spends his money on fursuits or zoo trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GN is back with more of the best youtuber merch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua5Lo9n4Ul8