Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

What do you do yesterday?

i made six hundred croissants, one hundred and fifty chocolate chip cookies, four kilos of pastry cream, mised out ingredients for 70kg of donut dough, drank two coffees, and took two big shits today and you're a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i will say you might have score on your hands on that second hand equipment, you need more speedracks, a shitload of trays, and if the sheeter isn't working it's probably trash. sheeters are notorious for being impossible to repair without the exact factory parts which stop being produced quite often.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I got the tude now posted:

i made six hundred croissants, one hundred and fifty chocolate chip cookies, four kilos of pastry cream, mised out ingredients for 70kg of donut dough, drank two coffees, and took two big shits today and you're a fool.

what, like it's hard?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

more falafel please posted:

what, like it's hard?

After two coffees it's pretty easy op.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

I got the tude now posted:

How long did it take? Is there anything you’d like to charge about your kitchen?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Rationale posted:

What did you do yesterday?

I made money at my job instead of spending thousands on garbage and equipment that might not work or suit my purposes

Go make some donuts, dumbass

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://youtu.be/AVDdjrr670o

Amazing

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

why are a bunch of loser nerds doubting the OP, who posted pictures of disgusting chairs he bought at auction, which in no way help a business that, by his own admission, relies on takeout (per the walk up window he purchased and is installing himself, permit-less, in structural brick walls)

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I made money at my job instead of spending thousands on garbage and equipment that might not work or suit my purposes

Go make some donuts, dumbass

Your job must be really cool if you can’t fathom trying to do something else

I’m going to make some donuts that’s what my sick rear end 40qt mixer is for

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

How long did it take? Is there anything you’d like to charge about your kitchen?

7 hours. i need a second walk in already

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Doobie's Donut House

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have no math and I must cream

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:thurman:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

Your job must be really cool if you can’t fathom trying to do something else

You don't read, so I'll repeat this: I actually did make donuts for a living. I'll never work in the food industry as a primary job again, though, I just sell small amounts of things on the side for fun sometimes

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:drat:

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
My homie is a hard times dairy farmer I wonder if there’s any way to buy his milk directly

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I actually did make donuts for a living.

Sorry I spent $80 on fryers that aren’t specifically for donuts I’ll do better dont give up on me please

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Rationale posted:

I’m closer than I was last week

Sisyphus at the bottom of his hill, getting ready for that final push, this is the moment. It's going to work.

Ok, all that aside, really pull the ripcord on this, you're nowhere near a state where you can launch a donut shop/café if your idea of doing it is to just windmill into a clearence sale and paying for whatever latches onto your arms on the way through.

Yeah, you're going to take a hit, but it's a vastly lighter hit than you would 3 years from now after going deep into debt because you've barely clung onto existing as a small local shop where your best month is barely poking your head out of being in the red, so you take a quick breath and hope.

Just start baking as a hobby, see if you enjoy it and if you really, really do, maybe come back to this idea with a more solid understanding.

To pre-emptive the question: yesterday I did physiotherapy because my back is absolute trash after working in kitchens for 22 years. I'm retired now and very lucky because I'm in Sweden so I've got a decent amount of healthcare and safety nets. I wouldn't do it again, because a) I really wasn't cut out for it, but I thought I could do it with just enough gumption and can-do attitude and b) even in Sweden it's a grueling job that wears your body out faster than you think.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just think about how tired and burnt out the Time To Make The Donuts guy was if you have any doubts

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

My homie is a hard times dairy farmer I wonder if there’s any way to buy his milk directly

Please please please use raw milk in all your drinks. Think of the market niche you could fill!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not an empty quote

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

Sorry I spent $80 on fryers that aren’t specifically for donuts

So you wasted time and money on equipment you can't use and will have to dispose of or store indefinitely, but you don't need a business plan. At least it's a small waste of time and money this time. Maybe you can fix and clean them and sell them so they aren't a total loss

I get that you're one of those assholes who's edgy and flippant and supercool and feeds off this poo poo, but you're doing yourself a massive disservice by being a shithead and ignoring the voices of experience trying to help you out. Especially the advice to learn how to bake, my God

I hope you and your wife keep your finances separate, for her sake. It's bad enough you guys decided to use her inheritance on this folly, make sure she saves herself something for the inevitable rainy day

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Well digging ftw.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kMzofW7TH4

Me in eight months

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

It's so perfect that your user name is Rationale and not Rational

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

There’s not going to be a donut shop. This guy is playing a little tune and hitting all the right notes. He literally asked “will I make money?” And everyone responded “not going about it like that”. And he just continues to play dumb and snarky. Worst case this is a total troll using a picture from when he and some friends cleaned out a buddy’s dive bar that closed down during the pandemic.

In the highly unlikely case it’s not a troll: absolute best case he opens some sad hole-in-the-wall coffee and donut place (using one of those machines you see at like a county fair or farmers market) with a bare concrete floor and some sad signage out front that has irregular hours and products worse than you can get at the convenience store down the road.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CPA Hell posted:

In the highly unlikely case it’s not a troll: absolute best case he opens some sad hole-in-the-wall coffee and donut place (using one of those machines you see at like a county fair or farmers market) with a bare concrete floor and some sad signage out front that has irregular hours and products worse than you can get at the convenience store down the road.

Don't do this. Don't give us hope like this.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
It’s gonna be really cool and you’re all gonna look like assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlrb_X6fYZ0

Whatever it takes to please my internet homies

Edit: just made enough money at my day job to financially recover from the fryer disaster thank god that’s behind me

Rationale fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 19, 2022

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Let's see a username and date pic on the mixer

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.

CPA Hell posted:

There’s not going to be a donut shop. This guy is playing a little tune and hitting all the right notes. He literally asked “will I make money?” And everyone responded “not going about it like that”. And he just continues to play dumb and snarky. Worst case this is a total troll using a picture from when he and some friends cleaned out a buddy’s dive bar that closed down during the pandemic.

I agree, now that I read this, this is likely an elaborate troll. I'm holding out hope, though, that this is just another failed goon business venture like all the other smoldering craters that came before it. With that said, it's too on the nose.

You got me OP.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Scrum posted:

I agree, now that I read this, this is likely an elaborate troll. I'm holding out hope, though, that this is just another failed goon business venture like all the other smoldering craters that came before it. With that said, it's too on the nose.

You got me OP.

I really hope it's a troll, but there are so many people exactly like the OP, it's like they're made in a factory

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

To be fair if it’s a troll it’s not even that elaborate - there’s 2 pictures of literal trash, a few paragraphs of donut shop fanfic, and a bunch of “nuh uh!” posts.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I for one am glad that OP is following his dreams.

Shame on you haters for discouraging him from being a small business owner and job creator.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

To be fair if it’s a troll it’s not even that elaborate - there’s 2 pictures of literal trash, a few paragraphs of donut shop fanfic, and a bunch of “nuh uh!” posts.

It is getting difficult to believe, but SA history shows us that doesn't mean it's not some mentally ill goon like "Ry" who's seriously trying to put their donut shop in the back of a box van with a fire pit liftgate while building a log house with hand tools.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If this is made up he knows the material well. I think one of the reasons I like this thread is it reminds me of when I was walking these steps. That was an enjoyable period, and I'm not bipolar but i was kinda manic at that stage too

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

It reminds me of how I get when my ADD is bad and I'm hyper-focused on an idea or plan, like the lack of planning and hostility towards the advice I solicited

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/gallery/ANcQKKt

I think rather than trying to open a restaurant I’ll focus on the donuts early on. That way I can forego tens of thousands in equipment costs and water filtration before we start getting some revenue. The focus will be on creating standing orders. Schools, hospitals, factories, and construction sites can all be approached cold with a dozen fancy donuts bearing the logo and the contact info. Once there are 40-50 dozen sold every time the clock hits midnight we can begin to think about hiring counter staff and getting into some espresso equipment.

By developing the donut business first I can spend more time and money on the coffee stuff. One dealer I spoke with on the phone advised against doing espresso at all because there aren’t any service technicians nearby. I can’t afford to be down for days at a time so the price floor on an espresso machine is like 12k basically. One way I can mitigate these risks is by installing water treatment appurtenances in the shop to make the water more agreeable to the finicky machines. That’s going to be in the thousands also.

So we’ll gear up for donuts first and say gently caress a counter or a drive-thru til the donut revenue can get us there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So your new "business plan" is to start with the very low margin higher cost of entry product. Brilliant.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I can make and deliver donuts myself but I’d need help to run a drive-thru retail location.

And I already have the mixer so I’m like five percent done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

If only there was a way to figure these things out ahead of time instead of making all your decisions on the fly. Some kind of a plan, maybe, for your business? Is that anything?