Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Caesar Saladin posted:

The only thing I remember about Star Ocean 1 is in the fansub one of the characters says that another one "fucks like a tiger" and this was an intense moment for me at a 9 year old

you were pirating games at 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

gently caress yeah, my zsnes folder was absolutely packed

also I have three older brothers who taught me how to pirate things

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Private Cumshoe posted:

You weren't lmao

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

!Klams posted:

Scorn fuckin finally came out, gently caress me, it's been like... 5 years? Or something mad? In the making.

It was announced in 2014 :buddy:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Beartaco posted:

Is this the SNES or the PSP version?

SNES, I don't know much about the remasters. The PSP version is probably more friendly, and with more sensible crafting. The instant death proc is probably the same :v:

Caesar Saladin posted:

The only thing I remember about Star Ocean 1 is in the fansub one of the characters says that another one "fucks like a tiger" and this was an intense moment for me at a 9 year old

this is tales of phantasia you plebeian!!!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
's corn

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A lot of people are saying that Overwatch 2 is a bad game, a terrible game, a terrible bad game, but I think something that they're all missing is that while it's true that playing Overwatch 2 is fairly unpleasant it's still better than valorant

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Fur20 posted:

SNES, I don't know much about the remasters. The PSP version is probably more friendly, and with more sensible crafting. The instant death proc is probably the same :v:

this is tales of phantasia you plebeian!!!

It's a full remake in the Star Ocean 2 engine, which was very cool. It made that game infinitely more playable. The SNES one is interesting for how it pushes that system to its limits though, it has voice acting for crying out loud.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Say what you want about FF14 but I cant think of any other game that let's me run about with a red panda on my head

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Quote-Unquote posted:

alpha protocol is so much better than deus ex and it's not even close

Goon preaching the truth here

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I remember banging a bunch of chicks in Alpha Protocol and then letting them die and rolling into the last battle my bro Stephen Heck, it was very funny.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Devils Affricate posted:

It was announced in 2014 :buddy:

fuuuuuk, that's crazy. I knew it was a long time, but I'm prone to hyperbole so erred on the side of caution. Mad.

In other news, I went back to play it again today, and now it's a stuttery unplayable mess, whatever settings I put it on. Really loving annoying, it was buttery smooth just last night? What the gently caress. Installed some new drivers but they didn't help at all. I'm really sad, I was really enjoying it and now it's essentially unplayable?!

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sorry but that is the curse to bear when you have decided to be a PC gamer

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

Say what you want about FF14 but I cant think of any other game that let's me run about with a red panda on my head

dynasty warriors

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Private Cumshoe posted:

I had an amstrad cpc464 when I was 4 and my parents had a hifi with two cassette decks so hell yeah I was pirating games by copying the tapes.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I'm so old the first version of ZSNES I used didn't have working sound yet :corsair:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

I'm so old the first version of ZSNES I used didn't have working sound yet :corsair:

:hmmyes:
i liked nesticle because it ran on my 486

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Scorn is a bad game. I'd be pissed if I had paid for it directly. On Game Pass I was able to play enough to see it was bad and noped out.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's visually striking but everything else I hear about it tells me there's not much of a game in there.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rutibex posted:

dynasty warriors

Nice

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dynasty warriors has more generations than most actual chinese dynasties

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

itry posted:

It's visually striking but everything else I hear about it tells me there's not much of a game in there.

It made me feel revulsion in the first ten minutes. I don't remember when a game really made me feel anything, so I feel like I got some monies worth already. I also really really like looking at it. There's a lot of art to it.

Sure, as a game, so far it's only really had two puzzles that I felt made me think. But, I mean, again, it's pretty rare to look at a puzzle in a game and not immediately go "oh OK I do that" and then 'do that', so that I've had to think twice is, again, already value.

This all makes me sound like some Scorn fanboi, and as I say, the game went and broke on me, and for sure it's more of a walking simulator, so totally understand if people don't like it. I was just pleasantly surprised by it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

!Klams posted:

It made me feel revulsion in the first ten minutes. I don't remember when a game really made me feel anything, so I feel like I got some monies worth already. I also really really like looking at it. There's a lot of art to it.

Sure, as a game, so far it's only really had two puzzles that I felt made me think. But, I mean, again, it's pretty rare to look at a puzzle in a game and not immediately go "oh OK I do that" and then 'do that', so that I've had to think twice is, again, already value.

This all makes me sound like some Scorn fanboi, and as I say, the game went and broke on me, and for sure it's more of a walking simulator, so totally understand if people don't like it. I was just pleasantly surprised by it.

I rrrrrrrreally, really like Giger and Beksinski and that's what's carrying me through it. Would I recommend it? Nah, not a chance. If you want to see something unnerving in their style? Absolutely.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

!Klams posted:

Very reminiscent of Dark Seed. It was also visually striking, gross, creepy... and a terrible game. It had bad puzzles, with a timer on top of it all (giving you an instant game over when it ran out, iirc). Good luck finshing that one without a guide.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
And then there was Darkseid 2

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gunbound

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This isn't in reference to anything else posted ITT, this is the entire opinion

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Oh yeah? Well, Earthbound!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

Thanks to early ZSNES I'll always remember SNES wind noises as going BWEEEEEEEEEEEEE~ instead of shhhhhhh.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Overwatch is very fun but the community is obsessed with it being a balanced game which is stupid as hell

They should add bans though imo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I loving love Gunbound. We should all play some Gunbound Classic together.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
isn't scorn just the same thing as agony with more blues and less reds

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Actually scorn is bad. I'm gonna finish it coz I likewise love the aesthetic, but man. The combat is the worst I've seen since Daikatana. It's probably worse. It's SHOCKINGLY poo poo. At first I kinda forgave it, but now I've got a second weapon, and it's somehow worse than the ineffective cattle prod that doesn't hold enough charges to kill anything. The game would ONLY be improved by removing the combat. It's a real real shame its in there, because it takes it from like a 5-8 game (depending on how into the aesthetic you are) down to like a 1-5.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
scorn was inspired by the art of keith haring and thomas kincade

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

is pepsi ok posted:

The first version of iNES I used didn't have sound, either.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

itry posted:

Very reminiscent of Dark Seed. It was also visually striking, gross, creepy... and a terrible game. It had bad puzzles, with a timer on top of it all (giving you an instant game over when it ran out, iirc). Good luck finshing that one without a guide.

Definitely watch the Retsupurae videos on them. Both seem like some of the worst designed adventure games in history, but for different reasons.

The first game is an extra punishing Sierra game, while the second is a LucasArts game with endless dialogue trees with the most unlikable people ever written.

There needs to be a third one with QTEs and fake choices. Episodic too.

Also, the first game was made by and stars Mike Dawson. Whoever wrote the second one either didn’t realise this or hated his guts.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

!Klams posted:

Actually scorn is bad. I'm gonna finish it coz I likewise love the aesthetic, but man. The combat is the worst I've seen since Daikatana. It's probably worse. It's SHOCKINGLY poo poo. At first I kinda forgave it, but now I've got a second weapon, and it's somehow worse than the ineffective cattle prod that doesn't hold enough charges to kill anything. The game would ONLY be improved by removing the combat. It's a real real shame its in there, because it takes it from like a 5-8 game (depending on how into the aesthetic you are) down to like a 1-5.

Oh man it's so poo poo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

!Klams posted:

Oh man it's so poo poo

"Man, how hard can a fps be to make? Those DOOM guys did it on a paper clip decades ago, it'll be easy!"

And now we have this resurgence of totally poo poo indie fps games, faux-retro being used as an excuse for making games that play worse than the 1994 iD title. Ursula Le Guin's rant about buttered toast crosses genres, there are so many bad fps games made by people tho think they know what they're doing. Scorn sounds like it's a visual novel that chose the wrong video game type to get bolted on to, but so much other stuff is trying to be a good FPS out of the gate and failing so, so hard.

I'm halfway through Prodeus and I'm digging the aesthetic, but ffs why are the monsters and guns and the way you shoot them so bad?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I will never ever play a visual novel, they just seem like immature choose your own adventure comic books that take 100 times longer to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there are also linear ones with 0 choices
for example umineko which has a word count of approximately 1.9 War and Peaces