Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Silent Hill 2 Part 1 is a retelling of SH2 but James is aware of the story and is speedrunning so he can kill himself faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
James is actually innocent and loves his wife who disappeared. It’s the evil of the town that’s trying to mess with his mind. The town killed her not James

That’s seriously my interpretation of the story

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the town in SH2 isn’t any more evil than what you bring into it

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

Thank God the comics aren't canon.

But seriously, it was always interesting to me how you had the town tainted by the cult creating its influence, then you have SH2 just being a weird unknowable arbiter of the justice whoever it pulls in believes they deserve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

James isn't really good or evil, which is kind of the point. SH2 is a reflection of how he views himself. He was in a horrible tragic situation that immensely taxes an individual and the guilt over what happened weighs heavily upon him, but the entire story is about how James is dealing with that guilt and what it says about himself. The town absolutely tries to twist his guilt into something dangerous but I think defining it as "James was bad and so the town was bad to him" doesn't quite work. It was that James was troubled and the town was able to use that prey upon him.

Likewise it doesn't mean James is a Good Guy either. He's a person dealing with immense trauma that brought out some of his worst thoughts and feelings. The end result is that whatever happens to James is what he thinks he deserves (or that he is unable to actually acknowledge his own problems and thus is doomed to repeat them.)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

al-azad posted:

Who’s Lila is my favorite this year and if you like imscared and other meta horror games don’t miss it, everything about it is a spoiler but also it’s a game you need to use community features and a side loading app to complete.

Not digging for spoilers, but can you elaborate on this a bit? Are you talking about Steam community features? Does this mean I need to be online to get the proper experience?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

James isn't really good or evil, which is kind of the point. SH2 is a reflection of how he views himself. He was in a horrible tragic situation that immensely taxes an individual and the guilt over what happened weighs heavily upon him, but the entire story is about how James is dealing with that guilt and what it says about himself. The town absolutely tries to twist his guilt into something dangerous but I think defining it as "James was bad and so the town was bad to him" doesn't quite work. It was that James was troubled and the town was able to use that prey upon him.

Likewise it doesn't mean James is a Good Guy either. He's a person dealing with immense trauma that brought out some of his worst thoughts and feelings. The end result is that whatever happens to James is what he thinks he deserves (or that he is unable to actually acknowledge his own problems and thus is doomed to repeat them.)

Absolutely. Angela is a perfect example of the town not giving you what you deserve, but what you believe you deserve. God that staircase scene will never leave my mind

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I think the town is evil, Angela was just a victim of abuse who struck back against her abuser and the town is still like 'kys lol' whilst tormenting her with her own rape. It reflects peoples sense of guilt back at them but there's malice in how it acts, like going through the nonsense space below the historical society it shows you Angela's & Eddie's graves and implies James is next, that's just the town being an rear end in a top hat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

the town only “preys” on him because James is suicidal and wants to be punished, hence why his chief tormentor is a warped recollection of an executioner painting he saw once. in contrast, Eddie’s stance is “I didn’t learn poo poo” and the town just shrugs and gives him a steady supply of more people to shoot. Laura I don’t count because it’s kind of ambiguous whether she’s a Maria-esque construct even if canonically she just hitchhiked with Eddie

silent hill itself seems to be a neutral force that doesn’t gain or lose anything from the people it ensnares

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

It’s not like the cave in empire strikes back lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the town only “preys” on him because James is suicidal and wants to be punished, hence why his chief tormentor is a warped recollection of an executioner painting he saw once. in contrast, Eddie’s stance is “I didn’t learn poo poo” and the town just shrugs and gives him a steady supply of more people to shoot. Laura I don’t count because it’s kind of ambiguous whether she’s a Maria-esque construct even if canonically she just hitchhiked with Eddie

silent hill itself seems to be a neutral force that doesn’t gain or lose anything from the people it ensnares

I can't really say that is neutral though. Silent Hill is giving both of them a way to fall deeper into their own problems and impulses. Eddie's misery and problems are given an outlet which lets him kill more and more and desensitizes him to what he does. Eddie isn't chill about it. You see him trying desperately to justify his murders with 'they deserved it' and 'it was justified'. Eddie was already hosed up but Silent Hill pushes him until he's actually willing to murder another human being. If he killed James that would have been him crossing the line into actual for-real murder.

Eddie also isn't being 150% genuine with what he says. He claims he doesn't feel anything and he found it funny when he shot his bully (in the leg) and killed the dog but he's lying. He was drawn to Silent Hill because he felt guilty about it. He even tells James that he's like him, he wouldn't be here if he didn't have something on his conscious. Dude was hosed up by what he did and Silent Hill kept pushing him deeper and deeper into "actually you SHOULD murder the next person who makes fun of you."

I think that's kind of key to Eddie. He isn't a remorseless psychopath. He's a hosed up guy who desperately needs help and spends pretty much the entire time trying to convince himself that he is totally cool with hurting and murdering people even though he actually isn't. He's as suicidal as James in his own way. (Which is why he's pointing the gun at his OWN head when he's talking about killing someone.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 18, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The town punishes people who think they should be punished (or at least challenges those who think they should be challenged if you want to work in the vague 'native Americans used this place as a crucible' angle). The cult tried to pervert it for their various nonsenses. That's about it.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 18, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bogart posted:

The town punishes people who think they should be punished (or at least challenges those who think they should be challenged if you want to work in the vague 'native Americans used this place as a crucible angle). The cult tried to pervert it for their various nonsenses. That's about it.

challenge is probably better, given how SH2’s multiple endings work. James reaches apotheosis either way, shown by Pyramid Head’s suicide, but depending on how self-destructively you act, he either relieves himself of his guilt or succumbs to delusion/his suicidal urges

presuming the town has malicious intent kind of misses the point of what made SH2 so exceptional

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
E: double post

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Yeah I think it's a bit misguided to try and anthropomorphize or ascribe intention to the spooky happenings in Silent Hill 2. It's portrayed as essentially being a Purgatory space that just sort of exists unto itself, and anything it shows you ultimately comes from within yourself like a mirror (hey, that's the opening shot!).
I don't think it's conveyed by the game text as having specific agency or any form of sentience in the same manner as, say, the Overlook Hotel is.

But really, the fact that this can be fodder for discussion in TYOOL 2022 is evidence how rad and evergreen SH2 is, despite it's questionable legacy of poor imitators.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 18, 2022

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

King of Bleh posted:

Yeah I think it's a bit misguided to try and anthropomorphize or ascribe intention to the spooky happenings in Silent Hill 2. It's portrayed as essentially being a Purgatory space that just sort of exists unto itself, and anything it shows you ultimately comes from within yourself like a mirror (hey, that's the opening shot!).
I don't think it's conveyed by the game text as having specific agency or any form of sentience in the same manner as, say, the Overlook Hotel is.

But really, the fact that this can be fodder for discussion in TYOOL 2022 is evidence how rad and evergreen SH2 is, despite it's questionable legacy of poor imitators.

Also keep in mind each silent hill seems to be a different interpretation of the town. Particularly between 1 and 2. Never played the room but that also seemed like it’s own take

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Noob Saibot posted:

Also keep in mind each silent hill seems to be a different interpretation of the town. Particularly between 1 and 2. Never played the room but that also seemed like it’s own take

It was a person's take in a way, interestingly enough. 1 and 3 being the same (on a basic world level), I think you're right, every game's town is a little different from the other

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'd like to see the Konami board of directors wake up in Silent Hill actually

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hector Delgado posted:

The ones bringing games back, or the pre-2017 board?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I want to see them wake up in Silent Hill... themed health clubs. Relaxed and invigorated! Ready to sign off on another generation of pachislot machines!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The ones bringing games back, or the pre-2017 board?

Depends on tomorrown I suppose

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's funny I'm not sure if Ito is excitedly posting about tomorrow because it's a good game or because it's SH2 and he gets to start cashing royalty checks on Pyramid Head again

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hector Delgado posted:

Depends on tomorrown I suppose

True enough!

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Delgado posted:

The dudes that shut down console gaming division, fired Kojima, and declared iPhone gaming is the future before solely focusing on pachinko’s and gyms left during a recent restructuring from what I hear

Edit: hideki hayakawa is still with the company gently caress

Noob Saibot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 19, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
so is it confirmed its just a remake of sh2? What a loving joke.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

That's not the only thing in dev no. That's what Blooper is doing though

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, we could also be getting another bad Silent Hill movie....and maybe they'll re-release the HD version of Silent Hill 2 with no updates or fixes.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
"Part 1" eh. Silent Hill 2 is more or less the apartments, hospital, underground prison and hotel "dungeons", seems quite unnecessary to partition it. Maybe some kind of RE7 Kitchen/prologue thing.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Turn on your monitor

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Part 2 will be a sequel where Laura has grown up and is busting ghosts

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It won't happen but an interesting take would be for part 1 to be a remake of Silent Hill 2 and then part 2 is entirely about the mess of the development process that goes into trying to chase after Silent Hill 2. How in some way the twisted otherworld of Silent Hill has become reality from the numerous attempts at aping SH2, that a Junji Ito-esque obsession with recreating Silent Hill 2 ultimately leads to the downfall of every title tied to that name.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Somehow Adult Laura actually killed Mary. A rock remix of Laura's theme will play against final boss demon James.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
whatever's going down I assume the mayor is the best source of trusted news

https://twitter.com/MayorSilent/status/1582550674646401024?t=daEpgxSvPSbnNMJVCcov7g

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
James is actually innocent and the game is about how hard it is to be a straight white man in modern America

Noob Saibot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 19, 2022

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

calcio posted:

Looking to play a few during October, top 3 all time horror games?

-Resident Evil (either directors cut or remake of original)
-Silent Hill 2
-Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

I'm still the most excited for the FAITH game

I can't wait for

M O R T I S

FAITH is one of the few games that has genuinely creeped me out. I'm not sure if it's the rotoscoping or the unsettling sound effects, but it does a really good job of tension building. I didn't actually play any of it myself, but I enjoyed LPs of it and am invested to see what happens with John and Lisa

and Gary cause wtf is up with Gary

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

calcio posted:

In not Silent Hill or Resident Evil because I can't choose one out of either

Fatal Frame 2, Eternal Darkness, Dead Space 2

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWML2_c1P4U&t=31s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

calcio posted:

Illbleed

Then play Illbleed twice more